DIY Bedroom Storage
Best Walk-In Closet Ideas That Will Transform Your Bedroom
Published: December 6, 2021
Make your closet look aesthetically pleasing with these smart walk-in closet ideas! Start building your dream walk-in closet today!
For shopaholics, there’s no better reward than a new set of clothes. Having new outfits to wear can give you a sense of satisfaction and helps boost your self-confidence. However, having too many clothes could also be a huge pain in the neck. You either have to invest in a large customized cabinet or a walk-in closet to keep them organized. If you choose the latter, installing shelves and drawers is not enough. You should incorporate some of these walk-in closet ideas for better organization.
What is a Walk-In Closet?
Before we jump right into those walk-in closet ideas, it’s important to know what a walk-in closet is first. How is it different from a regular built-in closet and what are the advantage of having one?
A walk-in closet is an extension of a bedroom. This could be either a small room with pre-installed wardrobe closets and standalone storage drawers or a large one that is almost as big as the master bedroom. It’s almost like a walk-in pantry except you use it to store clothes, shoes, and bags, instead of food and kitchen supplies. Some modern walk-in closets are even used as lounging spaces with plush seats and charging stations.
Thus, the advantage of a walk-in closet doesn’t stop at having a huge storage space for clothes, but it could also be a personal space to relax and unwind. Despite its advantages, this kind of closet will require a huge chunk of space in your home, so its installation and maintenance can be expensive.
How Big Should a Walk-In Closet Be?
It depends on how you will be using your walk-in closet. If you only have a couple of clothes and shoes to store, then a single-sided 5 x 5 walk-in closet is enough. However, if you have the luxury of space and you want to turn your wardrobe into one of those lavish walk-in closets you see on Pinterest or Instagram, the room should at least be 100 sq. feet (or more). This will provide enough room for a closet island, vanity dresser, and ottoman seat.
Best Walk-In Closet Ideas
Building a walk-in closet requires careful planning. You could hire a renovation contractor or an interior designer to make things easier, but the design and layout of your walk-in closet will still depend on you. If you don’t know where to start, look into these bedroom walk-in closet ideas for inspiration.
Create an Illusion of More Space With These Mirror Walk-In Closet Ideas
One of the oldest yet highly effective small walk-in closet ideas is to use mirrors to make a closet appear bigger. Mirrors reflect light from fluorescent fixtures, and this creates an illusion of more space. You could also add a window and place the mirror near it to maximize the natural light. Doing this can make the walk-in closet look brighter and more spacious. Just make sure to add some curtains to add privacy to your closet.
Below are some of the mirrors that could be a great addition to a modern walk-in closet.
Mix and match outfits with this Full-Length Mirror from NeuType. Ordinary, cheap mirrors have distorted reflections, but this mirror is different. It provides a clear, high-definition reflection, thanks to its thin frame. You’ll see whether your chosen outfit looks good from every angle.
Rest assured that this full-length mirror is safe to use because it has an explosion-proof membrane. If you accidentally knock it over, the shattered glass won’t scatter on the ground. Plus, it’s a mirror with edge-sealing properties so it will surely last for a long period of time.
- Thin, aluminum alloy frame
- Durable, multi-layered mirror
- Front side of the mirror is 0.16 inches wide
- Mirror size is 65 inches x 22 inches
- Large mirror that provides a full-body view
- Has pre-installed gourd hooks for mounting
- Can either be a wall-mountable or freestanding mirror
A walk-in closet is more than just an extra room for storing clothes. It could also be a lounging place where you can relax and detach yourself from the world. If you want your walk-in closet to look homey for lounging, use home decors with sleek, round edges. Just like this Full-Length Floor Mirror from OGCAU. Round home decors make spaces look more inviting and cozy as they appear soft and easy on the eyes.
This floor mirror would go well in a luxurious walk-in closet with a chandelier because of its gold arch frame. Just like the NeuType Full-Length Mirror, it is also made of explosion-proof materials, so it’s safe and durable.
- Ultra-thin frame
- H-shape bracket stand
- Exquisite arched-top design
- Mirror size is 65 inches x 22 inches
- Available in Gold, White and Black
- H-shape bracket makes the mirror more stable
- Has no copper so it is an environmentally friendly product
- Use the hooks on the back to secure the mirror on the wall
- Flimsy latches/ hooks
There could be little to no space left for a floor-standing mirror if you have a small walk-in closet. A good alternative would be this Over-the-Door Mirror by Americanflat. This mirror offers a full-body view reflection that allows you to easily experiment with outfits.
Since it’s designed to be hung on the door, you are probably worried that it might easily fall every time you enter and leave the room. Fortunately, this mirror has pre-drilled holes on the back. Use these holes to attach the screws and secure the mirror in place.
- Lead-free mirror
- Composite wood frame
- Full body view reflection
- Full product size is 14.5 inches x 51 inches x 1.75 inches
- Dimensions of the metal brackets are 14.3 inches x 1.95 inches x.5 inches
- Hanging hardware included
- Made of safe, shatterproof glass
- Adjust the height of the mirror using the adjustable metal brackets
- Requires a wall drilling tool
Utilize Extra Storage Space with Closet Accessories
Buying new clothes feels like a reward, especially after getting through a tough situation. However, if you use shopping as your coping mechanism, you are probably buying more than you can store. This can lead to the mindless dumping of excess clothing in your walk-in closet, until things start to clutter. It’s now going to be difficult to mix and match outfits with a disorganized closet.
If you want your walk-in closet to look like a neatly organized boutique shop, consider buying some closet accessories such as metal rods and shoe storage organizers. These will help streamline your clothes, shoes, and accessories in your walk-in closet. Here are some shopping ideas for choosing a walk-in closet organizer.
Organizing hanging clothes in a small walk-in closet can be difficult without a valet rod as you’ll either have to hold them on your arm or lay them on the floor.
Make organizing easier with this Closet Valet Rod from Rev-A-Shelf. It is a durable metal rod with an exquisite chrome finish. Moreover, this valet rod is adjustable and can be extended up to 12 inches long. Aside from organizing hanging clothes, you may also use the rod for displaying your favorite outfits.
- Heavy-duty metal rod
- Exquisite chrome finish
- 12-inch closet rod
- Overall dimensions are 0.75 inches x 11.88 inches x 1.56 inches
- Includes mounting hardware
- Lifetime warranty protection
- Helps maximize walk-in closet space
- The ball at the end of the rod is too small to stop the hanging clothes from sliding.
It’s alright to fold jeans because they do not wrinkle easily. But for trousers and dress pants, you have to hang them to avoid unsightly creases. Instead of using regular hangers, hang them on a pants rack. This will help save closet space because it allows you to hang several pants vertically.
Moreover, it has a patented 360 degree swivel design that makes loading and unloading clothes easier. Simply put, you may adjust the position of the hanger to make it easier to remove or hang clothes.
- 360° Swiveling Hook
- Non-slip coating design
- Durable beech wood hanger
- Package includes 2 pants hanger
- Overall dimensions are 12 inches x 12.5 inches x 6 inches
- Wood hanger that won’t break nor bend easily
- Can also be used for hanging neckties and scarves
- Items with slippery fabrics won’t easily fall off the hanger
- Might take some time to assemble
The corporate world requires us to wear suits and ties to make ourselves look presentable. Even though some of us are working from home, we still have to wear such clothing during Zoom meetings. It’s because of this that most cabinets are full of ties and belts.
Prevent your ties and belts from cluttering your walk-in closet with this Accessories Valet from Longstem Organizers. It’s a multi-purpose organizer with different types of utility hooks, partition trays, and compartment racks. Even though it is advertised for organizing men’s accessories, it can also be used as a jewelry organizer for the ladies.
- Over-the-Door organizer
- High-grade powder-coated steel
- Non-slip coated belt and tie hooks
- 4 partition plastic trays and 7 compartment racks
- 10 multipurpose hooks, 4 belt hooks, and 23 tie hooks
- Overall dimensions are 29 inches x 21inches x 3.6 inches
- Helps save closet space
- Displays all your accessories
- It’s quite heavy
Improve Ambiance With These Lighting-Related Walk-in Closet Ideas
Dressing up isn’t as fun in a dark and dingy closet. You’ll feel lazy to try out new outfits because it’s difficult to check your appearance in the mirror. Eventually, your closet will only become a dumpsite for clothes. Thus, it is important to choose the right lighting for closets to improve ambiance. You can start with these brilliant walk-in closet lighting ideas.
Most home interior design blogs recommend installing chandeliers in a walk-in closet to improve the atmosphere, but these fixtures are expensive. Not to mention, this kind of overhead lighting is a bit of an overkill for a modern walk-in closet.
You can still improve the ambiance of a walk-in closet without such lavish lighting. For example, installing a chic overhead light such as this Industrial Light Fixture from Lysed. This would be a good walk-in closet fixture as it is compatible with LED light bulbs. These bulbs emit a warm incandescent light that makes the color of the clothes look vivid.
- Semi-flush mount fixture
- Exquisite vintage design
- E26 light bulb socket
- Compatible with LED, Incandescent, and CFL bulbs
- Doesn’t corrode easily
- Mounting hardware is included
- Different color temperatures help improve the closet ambiance
- Difficult to install
A single ceiling light is not enough to illuminate all the nooks and crannies of a walk-in closet. You will also need to add some track lights on the shelves to make it easier to see all your clothes.
Choose this Light Track from DLLT for walk-in closets. The lights and arms of this light track are adjustable, so it can illuminate the shelves at different angles. It also emits an “EyeCare” warm light that appears soft in the eyes.
- Adjustable lights
- Soft, ambient lighting
- 4-light track lighting
- Brightness is 3000K AC86-265V
- Track light size is 26.3 inches long and 6.5 inches high
- Uses energy-efficient LED light bulbs
- Flexible track lights for walk-in closets
- Made of aluminum with heat dissipation properties
- Installation is difficult
Overhead lights can cast harsh shadows toward the closet’s bottom shelves. Illuminate dark and hard-to-reach areas with these Under-Cabinet Lighting Fixtures from Lighting EVER.
Among all the walk-in closet lighting ideas we mentioned, these lighting fixtures are the most convenient. These are rechargeable, touch dimmable lights with no tedious wiring installations. You just have to peel the protective film to reveal the adhesive and stick the lights at the corner of your shelf.
- Touch-dimmable puck lights
- Stick-on puck lighting
- Set of 3 LED puck lights
- 510 lumens of cool white light
- CRI (Color Rendering Index) is 80
- Doesn’t make colors look washed out
- Helps save space with its ultra-thin design
- No screws to secure the lights in place
Add Extra Seats For Convenience
If you have a large walk-in closet, you probably have rows of shoes lining up your shelves. Wearing them would be difficult without a chair to sit on. So, make sure to add some ottomans and small couches in your walk-in closet. Aside from using the chairs as a resting place, you can also use them to lay down your clothes temporarily.
Here are some seating ideas for a large walk-in closet:
Is your walk-in closet large enough to add a dresser? If yes, then this Tufted Storage Ottoman would be a great addition to your closet. It looks stylish with its button tufting lid and velvet cover, thus this could be used as an accent piece to beautify your walk-in closet. Moreover, this ottoman is a piece of multifunctional furniture that doubles as an extra storage space for bags and clothes, and other small closet items.
- Plush, velvet ottoman
- Wooden legs with a light cherry finish
- Easy lift-off lid
- Supports up to 25 pounds
- Ottoman size is 15 inches high with a diameter of 25 inches
- Intricate tufted lid looks exquisite
- Doesn’t take too much floor space
- Has a chemical smell that lasts for a week
If you don’t want to add a closet island because it’s too bulky, consider replacing it with an ottoman bench instead. It might not provide extra storage space, but it could add functionality to your walk-in closet. For example, you can consider using it as a stool to reach items at the topmost shelves.
We also recommend choosing something eye-catching and stylish if you will be using a storage bench as a focal point. Just like this Fabric Ottoman Bench from Christopher Knight with tufted upholstery and unique crossed metal legs.
- Durable birch frame
- Exquisite crossed metal legs
- Item weight is 18.96 pounds
- Overall dimensions are 17. 25 inches x 41 inches x 16. 75 inches
- Great for modern walk-in closets
- Can either be used as a chair or footstool
- Bench is quite small
This Ottoman Storage Bench is a must-have for a large walk-in closet. It has a plush seat and a large storage space for blankets, pillows, shoes, and other items in the closet. You will also love how it has a soft-close top. This prevents you from accidentally slamming the lid, so your fingers are less likely to get injured.
- Soft-close top
- Plush, foamed seat
- Storage bench is 3.25 inches high
- Overall dimensions are 51 inches x 18.5 inches x 16 inches
- Inner storage dimensions are 46.5 inches x 15.5 inches x 9 inches
- Has a chic design that helps enhance a walk-in closet
- Wide-open top makes it easier to access the items inside
- Hardwood feet have a protective cover to prevent floor scratches
- Loose stitches on the upholstery
A walk-in closet is not just a place for storing clothes, but it also functions as a dressing room. So, installing shelves and drawers is not enough. You should also add some multi-purpose furniture and lighting fixtures to turn it into a convenient space for creativity and escape. If you are not sure how you should furnish your walk-in closet, you can always go back and review some of the walk-in closet ideas listed above.
Once you are done building your modern walk-in closet, don’t forget to add these aromatic cedar blocks and balls at the corners of shelves and drawers. They will help keep your clothes fresh and bug-free!