How To Get Free Boxes From Usps
Modified: August 23, 2023
Looking for ways to save on home maintenance costs? Learn how to get free boxes from USPS and save money on shipping and packaging materials for your DIY projects.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Are you in need of shipping boxes for your business or personal use? Look no further than the United States Postal Service (USPS). USPS offers a convenient and cost-effective solution to obtaining boxes through their free box program. Whether you’re sending packages domestically or internationally, getting free boxes from USPS is a great way to save money and streamline your shipping process.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps of how to get free boxes from USPS. We’ll explore various methods, from ordering boxes online to visiting your local Post Office, and provide tips on maximizing your box acquisition possibilities. So, let’s dive in and discover the secrets of getting free boxes from USPS.
Step 1: Understanding USPS
Before delving into how to get free boxes from USPS, it’s essential to familiarize yourself with the organization. USPS is the largest postal service in the United States, offering a wide range of shipping options and services. Understanding their offerings will help you make the most of their free box program.
USPS provides various priority mail and flat-rate shipping options, making it easy to ship packages of different sizes and weights. They offer free packaging, including boxes and envelopes, for specific services such as Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, and USPS Retail Ground. These free boxes are available in different sizes to accommodate your shipping needs.
It’s important to note that the free boxes provided by USPS are specifically designed for their respective shipping services. While you can use them for other purposes, it’s recommended to utilize them for their intended shipping methods to ensure optimal results.
Additionally, it’s worth mentioning that USPS offers online tools and resources to streamline your shipping experience. Their website allows you to calculate shipping costs, print shipping labels, schedule pickups, and track packages. Familiarize yourself with these features to take full advantage of USPS services.
Now that we have a basic understanding of USPS, let’s move on to the next step: identifying eligible packages for free boxes.
Step 2: Identifying Eligible Packages
Now that you’re familiar with USPS, it’s important to know which packages are eligible for free boxes. USPS provides free packaging for specific services, so it’s crucial to identify the types of packages that qualify.
Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express are the primary USPS services that offer free boxes. These services are ideal for packages that require fast delivery and tracking. Priority Mail offers delivery within 1-3 business days, while Priority Mail Express provides overnight or 1-2 day delivery options.
To determine if your package qualifies for free boxes, consider the following factors:
- Package Type: Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express offer free boxes and envelopes for specific package types. These may include flat-rate boxes, regional rate boxes, or other designated packaging options. It’s important to choose the appropriate box type for your package to ensure accurate shipping cost estimation and efficient delivery.
- Package Size and Weight: USPS provides free boxes in various sizes to accommodate different package dimensions. Be sure to select a box that fits your item snugly to prevent any movement during transit. If your item exceeds the weight limit for the chosen box, consider alternative packaging options or explore USPS’s flat-rate shipping options.
- Shipping Destination: USPS’s free box program is available for packages shipped within the United States. If you’re shipping internationally or to U.S. territories, additional packaging options may be available, but they may not be free of charge. Check USPS’s international shipping guidelines for more details.
By identifying the eligible packages for free boxes, you can ensure a seamless and cost-effective shipping experience with USPS. Now that you know which packages qualify, let’s move on to the next step: creating a USPS account.
Step 3: Creating a USPS Account
Before you can start ordering free boxes from USPS, you’ll need to create a USPS account. Having an account will provide you with access to various online features and services to simplify your shipping process.
To create a USPS account, follow these steps:
- Visit the USPS website (www.usps.com) and click on the “Register” or “Sign Up” button.
- Fill out the required information, including your name, address, email, and phone number. Ensure that the provided information is accurate and up-to-date.
- Create a username and password for your USPS account. Make sure to choose a secure password that includes a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Complete the account verification process. USPS may send a verification email or text message to confirm your account. Follow the instructions provided to verify your account and activate it.
Once your USPS account is created and activated, you can access various online tools and services. These include package tracking, printing shipping labels, scheduling pickups, and, of course, ordering free boxes.
Having a USPS account also allows you to save your shipping preferences and addresses, making it more convenient for future shipments. It’s a valuable resource for anyone who frequently ships packages through USPS.
Now that you have a USPS account, you’re ready to proceed to the next step: ordering free boxes online.
Step 4: Ordering Free Boxes Online
Ordering free boxes online from USPS is a convenient way to acquire the packaging materials you need without leaving the comfort of your home or office. USPS offers an easy and user-friendly online ordering system to streamline the process.
To order free boxes online, follow these steps:
- Log in to your USPS account on the USPS website (www.usps.com).
- Click on the “Shop” or “Supplies” tab to access the online store for shipping supplies.
- Browse through the available packaging options and select the boxes that meet your requirements. You’ll find a variety of box sizes and types, including flat-rate boxes and regional rate boxes.
- Add the desired quantity of each box to your cart. Keep in mind that there may be limits on the number of boxes you can order at a time.
- Review your cart and proceed to checkout. Ensure that the shipping address is correct and up-to-date.
- Complete the ordering process. You may be required to pay a small fee for shipping and handling, depending on the quantity and type of boxes ordered. However, the boxes themselves are typically free of charge.
Once your order is confirmed, USPS will ship the boxes directly to your doorstep. It’s important to keep in mind that delivery times may vary, so plan your shipments accordingly to avoid any delays.
Ordering free boxes online is a convenient method, especially if you need specific box sizes for your packages. However, if you prefer a more immediate option or have unique packaging needs, consider the next step: requesting free boxes at the Post Office.
Step 5: Requesting Free Boxes at the Post Office
If you prefer a more hands-on approach or need immediate access to free boxes, visiting your local Post Office is a great option. USPS Post Offices typically have a range of free boxes available for pickup, allowing you to get the packaging materials you need on the spot.
To request free boxes at the Post Office, follow these steps:
- Locate your nearest USPS Post Office. You can use the USPS website or mobile app to find the closest location to you.
- Visit the Post Office during their operating hours. Be aware of any specific COVID-19 safety protocols that may be in place, such as social distancing or mask requirements.
- Approach the counter or designated area for package supplies and inform the postal staff that you would like to request free boxes.
- Provide the necessary information, such as the type and quantity of boxes you require. The staff will assist you in selecting the appropriate box sizes and types for your needs.
- The postal staff will provide you with the requested free boxes. It’s recommended to inspect the boxes before leaving the Post Office to ensure they are in good condition.
By requesting free boxes at the Post Office, you can immediately obtain the packaging materials you need without the wait time for shipping. This option is particularly useful for those who have urgent shipping needs or prefer a more personal interaction.
Next, let’s explore another method of acquiring free boxes using the USPS Click-N-Ship feature.
Step 6: Utilizing USPS Click-N-Ship
USPS Click-N-Ship is an online platform that allows you to create shipping labels and order free boxes simultaneously. It’s a convenient and time-saving method, especially if you frequently ship packages through USPS.
To utilize USPS Click-N-Ship and order free boxes, follow these steps:
- Login to your USPS account on the USPS website (www.usps.com).
- Click on the “Ship a Package” or “Create Label” option to access the Click-N-Ship platform.
- Enter the required shipping information, including the destination address, package size, weight, and shipping service.
- When selecting the packaging, choose the option to “Add Free Boxes” or “Order Packaging Supplies”. This will allow you to include free boxes in your order.
- Select the desired quantity and types of boxes you need for your shipment. You can choose from various box sizes and types, depending on your package dimensions.
- Review the shipping details and complete the process by printing the shipping label and confirming your order.
Upon completing your order, USPS will ship the free boxes along with the shipping label to your designated address. This method ensures that you have the necessary packaging materials and shipping label ready for your upcoming shipment.
Utilizing USPS Click-N-Ship is a convenient way to streamline your shipping process. It simplifies the label creation and box ordering steps, saving you time and effort.
However, if you prefer a cost-saving option or have specific packaging needs, consider utilizing USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes, which we’ll explore in the next step.
Step 7: Utilizing Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes
USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes offer a cost-effective and efficient shipping solution for certain packages. These boxes provide the advantage of a fixed rate, regardless of the weight or distance of the shipment, making them an attractive option for many shippers.
To utilize Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes, follow these steps:
- Determine if your package qualifies for flat rate shipping. Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes are ideal for packages that are heavy or bulky but don’t exceed the predetermined weight limit for each box size.
- Visit the USPS website or your local Post Office to learn about the available box sizes and their respective rates.
- Select the appropriate flat rate box size that best fits your package. Keep in mind that these boxes have fixed rates based on size, regardless of weight or destination.
- Prepare your package for shipment by securely packing the items inside the selected flat rate box. It’s important to ensure proper cushioning and protection for the contents.
- Label the box with the shipping address and affix the necessary postage, which will correspond to the specific flat rate box used.
Utilizing Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes can be a cost-saving option for shipments that meet the specified size and weight requirements. It eliminates the need to weigh and calculate shipping costs based on distance, providing a streamlined and predictable pricing structure.
However, it’s essential to ensure that your items fit within the selected box size and adhere to the weight limitations. If your packages exceed the predetermined limits or require specific packaging, consider alternative shipping methods or explore USPS’s other free box options.
Now that you’re familiar with Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes, let’s move on to the next step: reusing USPS boxes.
Step 8: Reusing USPS Boxes
One eco-friendly and cost-saving option for obtaining free boxes is to reuse USPS boxes. By reusing boxes, you not only eliminate the need to order or purchase new packaging materials but also contribute to a greener shipping process.
Here are the steps to successfully reuse USPS boxes:
- Inspect the used USPS boxes for any damage or wear. It’s important to ensure that the boxes are sturdy and in good condition for reuse.
- Remove any old labels or markings from the boxes. This will prevent confusion during shipping and help ensure accurate delivery.
- Reinforce the boxes if needed. Use packaging tape to strengthen any weakened edges or corners, ensuring that the box is secure for its contents.
- Properly pack your items inside the reused USPS box. Make sure to provide sufficient cushioning and protection to prevent damage during transit.
- Print a new shipping label for the reused box. Use clear adhesive tape to securely attach the label to the box, ensuring that it is visible and legible.
- Drop off the package at your local Post Office or schedule a pickup, depending on your shipping preferences.
Reusing USPS boxes not only saves you money but also reduces the amount of waste generated from shipping materials. It’s a sustainable option that aligns with USPS’s commitment to environmental responsibility.
However, it’s important to note that reused boxes should be in good condition and not show excessive wear or tear. USPS reserves the right to refuse boxes that are unsuitable for reuse. Therefore, be sure to inspect and reinforce the boxes before using them for your shipments.
Now that we’ve explored the option of reusing USPS boxes, let’s move on to the final step: some helpful tips for securing free USPS boxes.
Step 9: Tips for Securing Free USPS Boxes
Securing free USPS boxes requires some strategic planning and utilization of available resources. Here are some helpful tips to maximize your chances of obtaining the free boxes you need:
- Order in advance: If you have upcoming shipments, plan ahead and order your free boxes online or visit the Post Office to request them well in advance. This allows for any shipping delays and ensures you have the necessary packaging materials on hand.
- Explore different box options: USPS offers a variety of box sizes and types. Familiarize yourself with the available options and choose the most appropriate box for your specific shipment. This will help prevent unnecessary costs or improper packaging.
- Use Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes strategically: If your packages meet the size and weight requirements, take advantage of the flat rate pricing for certain shipments. This can save you money and provide a predictable shipping cost structure.
- Reuse and repurpose boxes: As mentioned earlier, reusing USPS boxes is an environmentally friendly and cost-effective option. Ensure the boxes are in good condition and reinforce them if necessary before using them for your shipments.
- Monitor mailbox availability: USPS sometimes delivers free boxes directly to residential or business addresses. Be aware of any notice or email notifications regarding box delivery. This way, you can promptly collect them and have a steady supply of free boxes.
- Utilize alternative packaging options: In addition to free USPS boxes, consider utilizing other packaging materials you may already have, such as bubble mailers or padded envelopes. This can provide additional flexibility and save costs when appropriate.
- Share resources with others: If you have excess free boxes or no longer need them, consider sharing them with friends, family, or local businesses. This promotes sustainability and eliminates waste.
By following these tips, you can ensure a steady supply of free USPS boxes and optimize your shipping process. Remember to stay proactive, plan ahead, and take advantage of the resources USPS offers.
Now that you have all the necessary steps and tips, you’re ready to acquire free boxes from USPS with ease. Happy shipping!
Note: The availability and specific procedures for obtaining free boxes from USPS may vary. It’s always recommended to visit the USPS website or contact your local Post Office for the most up-to-date information.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial, or professional advice. Consult with appropriate professionals for guidance specific to your business or personal needs.
Obtaining free boxes from USPS is a valuable opportunity that can significantly benefit your shipping process. Through various methods such as online ordering, visiting the Post Office, reusing boxes, and utilizing Priority Mail Flat Rate options, you can acquire the packaging materials you need at no cost or minimal expense.
By understanding USPS services and guidelines, creating a USPS account, and familiarizing yourself with their online tools, you can maximize your shipping efficiency and take advantage of the free box program. Planning ahead, exploring different box options, and utilizing alternative packaging materials when appropriate will further enhance your cost-saving efforts.
Remember to prioritize sustainability by reusing boxes, sharing resources with others, and minimizing waste in the shipping process. By doing so, you contribute to a greener and more environmentally responsible approach to packaging and shipping.
Whether you’re a small business owner, an online seller, or an individual looking to send packages, the availability of free boxes from USPS is a valuable resource that can help save money and streamline your shipping operations. So, make use of the tips and steps outlined in this guide and enjoy the benefits of free USPS boxes.
Now it’s time to put your knowledge into action and start acquiring those free boxes from USPS. Happy shipping!
Note: The information provided in this article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial, or professional advice. Consult with appropriate professionals for guidance specific to your business or personal needs.