Outdoor furniture refers explicitly to the types of furniture built primarily for outdoor use. Also commonly referred to as garden furniture, outdoor furniture is found nearly everywhere, from roadsides, parking lots, public facilities to private work environments, homes, gardens, and etc. They are often used to serve the purpose of decoration and general utility. Now, the aim of this guide is to supply you with every vital information you require on outdoor furniture, its uses, how to get it, and etc.
Things You Must Know About Outdoor Furniture
There is about as much information about outdoor furniture as there is about furniture in general. However, you may require a few specific details to help you distinguish it from the lot. Here are some notable highlights:
- Outdoor furniture can be made from metals, glass, concrete, ropes, plastic, bamboo, and, of course, wood. However, teak, wood, wrought iron, and aluminum are the most commonly used materials.
- Teak is believed to be the best material for outdoor furniture since it contains powerful components like silica, which ensures that the furniture is protected from fungal decay and damages caused by water, acid, fire, and etc.
- Concrete-made furniture is most preferred for places with extreme weather conditions. Also, with the use of stones like marble and granite, it can be very aesthetically appealing. However, concrete-made furniture isn’t the best for mobile furniture; they are heavy, and often best when made to remain static at a spot.
- Ideally, outdoor furniture is made from rustproof and durable materials like, aluminum, wicker, teak and etc. which are able to withstand every kind of weather.
- Due to its constant exposure to different harmful materials of all sorts, there is a need to clean them with soft clothes and cleaning solutions constantly. Really dirty furniture can be thoroughly but safely cleaned with soft brush, oxygen bleach, and/or detergents.
- The type of outdoor furniture you have, what they are made from, and the environments in which they are kept are the key factors that determine how you should care for them.
- Outdoor furniture is typically built to last for long periods of time. Some standard outdoor furniture comes with as much as twenty years guarantee!
- The most aesthetic types of outdoor furniture are made from metal. However, the disadvantage of metal-made furniture is that it often retains heat. It is not the best for hot weather, but ideal for cool weather.
- Wooden furniture is ideal for hot weather, as it retains a warm or comfortably cool temperature irrespective of the weather. It is also highly preferred when considering mobility purposes.
- Plastic outdoor furniture is the cheapest of the lot. It is also the best choice when considering mobility options. However, they may not be very ideal for the hot weather; they may crack, break, or become weak when they spend long periods of time outdoors. Nevertheless, some modern plastic furniture is well treated to maintain such harsh weather; but they are quite expensive.
Uses Of Outdoor Furniture
Even though they are generally meant to aid comfort and used for decorative and aesthetic purposes, outdoor furniture has lots of specific purposes:
- It is used to serve recreational purposes: This explains why you find some beautiful outdoor chairs and tables arranged strategically at recreational spots, amusement parks, and other interesting spots. They are meant to comfortably accommodate visitors.
- It is used for relaxation purposes: It can occupy outdoor spaces at homes or open places to help people relax. It is the right furniture for private gardens at home. Some sort of outdoor dining set can be a lot of fun, as it helps families experience a picnic-like experience within their homes.
- It can create the ideal place to receive visitors: With a few aesthetic outdoor chairs, tables, and a nice shade, you can create a place to receive visitors within your home yard.
- It is used to create a space for public gathering: With sufficient outdoor chairs and/or tables in strategic places, it is easy for people to gather for public gatherings and discussions.
- It is ideal in schools and learning environments: Outdoor furniture can serve as reading, discussion, or relaxation spots in learning environments.
Where To Buy Outdoor Furniture
There are a few places and platforms to buy outdoor furniture. Here are a few of the most reliable platforms:
Wayfair Outdoor Furniture
Wayfair is surely one of the most reliable go-to places when you are considering buying quality outdoor furniture. Their website shows a collection of outdoor furniture, including patio bars, lounge outdoor furniture, etc. The website arguably boasts of thousands of brands, thus, offering buyers a wide range of choice to choose from; thus, buyers find it easier to locate and opt for the choice that perfectly meets their budget.
Amazon Outdoor Furniture
Everyone knows Amazon quite well as one of the most patronized and biggest online retailers. Hence, no cause to worry about the quality of their furniture. They also boast of some of the most astounding collections of outdoor furniture. One of the huge advantages of patronizing amazon is its great price and quick delivery system.
Crate & Barrel Outdoor Furniture
The unique and astounding thing with Crate & Barrel is the fact that they have carved a legacy of beautiful outdoor furniture. They also boast of different collections of all kinds of outdoor furniture. They have over 120 retail stores in Canada, the USA, and in a few other countries.
Home Depot Outdoor Furniture
Home Depot is one of the largest stores you can find that boasts of a large collection of reliable outdoor furniture. Their website is designed to let you select the exact category of outdoor furniture you want. One attractive benefit of patronizing Home Depot is the fact that they offer free shipping.
Walmart Outdoor Furniture
When it comes to affordability, Walmart is always a top choice. Hence, it is the most ideal place for buyers with average or low budgets. The store boasts of a wide range of outdoor furniture for buyers to choose from, all at amazing prices!
Different Materials for Outdoor Furniture
Wood Outdoor Furniture
Furniture made from wood is generally aesthetic and often ideal for outdoor use. Outdoor chairs made from wood, for instance, are much more comfortable when compared to a host of other alternatives. Besides, they are perfect for hot weather or sunny places, as they only retain warm or comfortably cool temperatures. Wooden furniture can also be light, movable, and foldable, making it just suitable for non-static uses.
On the downside, wooden furniture may not be appropriate in places infested by termite or other wood-eating organisms. Unlike a few other alternatives like furniture made from aluminum or teak, wooden furniture may not last for very long when constantly used for outdoor purposes.
Metal Outdoor Furniture
Furniture made from metal tends to last much longer than wood and plastic-made furniture. Of all the kinds of metal, aluminum-made pieces of furniture are often most preferred for the rare natural durability that aluminum has. Unlike wood or plastic, you may not require preservative chemicals or polishes to preserve or maintain any piece of furniture made from aluminum. However, on the downside, aluminum-made metals are a lot more expensive.
Of course, pieces of furniture made from stainless steel require less cleaning or dusting. Wrought iron is also great for making strong and solid pieces of furniture. However, wooden pieces of furniture are generally not the best choice for in the tropics or hot environments. Besides, there are chances of experiencing some sort of rust.
Plastic Outdoor Furniture
If mobility is your priority, then plastic-made pieces of furniture are just excellent for you. The basic advantage of plastic-made furniture, compared to wood or concrete, is the fact that they can be carried from place to place just as easily. However, the lightness of plastic furniture may depend on the size and thickness of the product.
Besides the fact that they are light, plastic-made furniture can also be very aesthetic. Plastic chairs sits, and tables are often made in different attractive styles and patterns which make them very eye-catching. Most importantly, they are the top choice for buyers who are considering low-budget furniture; they are the most affordable of the lot. However, on the downside, they can also be the weakest of the lot. When exposed to very harsh weather, plastic furniture tends to crack or fade. They are, nevertheless, just apt for low-temperature environments.
Types Of Outdoor Furniture
Outdoor Furniture Buying Guide
Buying any piece of outdoor furniture that suits you can be just easy as long as you have your cash. However, to ensure that you are buying the perfect furniture, there are a few things to consider when buying outdoor furniture. Some key important factors you may need to think about are:
The Reason For Which You Want It
Getting a piece of outdoor furniture goes beyond just the love of outdoor relaxation or the aesthetic additions they can add to your environment. An understanding of the specific reasons why you’ll love to have any piece of outdoor furniture will help you decide the exact kind of furniture you require. If what you require is a place to receive visitors outdoors, a few single outdoor chairs won’t be the ideal stuff you are looking for. What you are looking for maybe a pergola kit furniture that serves as a shelter and, perhaps, porch furniture that suits a conference setting.
The Amount Of Space You Have
Space is a very key factor to consider when buying a piece of outdoor furniture. You may need to consider the space available to keep the particular piece of furniture you are looking forward to purchasing. Consequently, there is a need to have a clear idea of the size of the furniture you plan to purchase. Also, try to have a mental comparison with the kind of space you have available for it, and how you look forward to utilizing it. Consider if there is a better alternative for the space you have on the ground.
Compare Quality And Durability
The quality and durability of any piece of outdoor furniture would depend, to a large extent, on the brand (or its makers). Also, it would depend on the kind of material the furniture is made from. Hence, if you are considering a piece of furniture that would last for a certain period of time, you may want to do a little investigation on the reliability of the brand, or the durability of the product itself. You may also go for products with warranties, as this shows that the producers are confident in their products.
The Weather Conditions In Your Area
The kind of weather in your environment should inform the kind of outdoor furniture you are going for. If you stay in an environment with harsh weather conditions, you may not consider metal-made furniture. Plastic or wood-made furniture, for instance, is much more preferable in the tropics. Concrete-made furniture may also be ideal to cushion the effect of extreme weather, especially in places where rain is prevalent.
The Size, Shape, And Color You Really Want
These features are primarily important for aesthetic reasons. Based on the color most prevalent in the surroundings where you’d like to keep the furniture, the specific space you have available for it, and etc., you may need to consider the size, shape, or color of the piece of furniture you are looking forward to buying.
The Material From Which The Furniture Is Made
Any outdoor furniture product made from aluminum may just be the perfect one for you if you are particular about reliability. Aluminum-made furniture is not likely to get damaged quickly and are often not prone to rust like wrought iron. Another strong material is teak. Teak-made furniture is unique as it is not susceptible to decay as other woods. Besides, it is less likely to be damaged by water, harsh weather, or other harmful exposure. If you are considering mobility, plastic-made outdoor furniture will be just fine for you. If the beauty of the furniture is your priority, you may be interested in the specific materials that you like.
The Product’s Price And Quality
Well, this may not necessarily relate to everyone. However, if you do not fancy expensive stuff just for the fact that they are expensive or “classy,” then you may have to consider the price. It is possible to get much more beautiful and comfortable products for cheaper prices or at the same price as the piece of outdoor furniture you have in mind. Hence, doing sufficient price and quality checks on products before purchasing them is a way of ensuring that you get the most satisfactory products.
The Comfort The Product Offers
Now, comfort is about the most prevalent reason for the purchase of outdoor furniture. The primary reason why most people love to have outdoor furniture is so that they can have a nice place to relax after a long day or a piece of nice furniture that helps them savor the beauty of their surroundings.
Hence, it becomes of extreme importance to consider the design of the piece of outdoor furniture you are thinking about purchasing. Based on the design and the materials from which they are made, outdoor chairs, stools, and tables (e.g. small coffee tables) offer different levels of comfort. Doing a little bit of research about these would prove to be of fundamental help.
How To Buy Long-Lasting Outdoor Furniture
One of the most-sought features when considering outdoor furniture is its durability. When you purchase any piece of outdoor furniture, one of your foremost expectations is that it lasts long enough. Given this, it is quite important to pay attention to how and where we buy outdoor furniture. There are a few tips to help guide you through buying a durable and long-lasting piece of outdoor furniture.
Do A Little Investigation/Research On Materials Used
This is fundamental to helping you determine the ideal long-lasting outdoor furniture for you. If you are planning to keep a piece of furniture in a place where it is likely to come in contact with water, you should know that any piece of furniture made with wrought iron or regular wood, would not last too long. Hence, you may consider products made from more durable materials like aluminum, teak, and etc.
Go For Trusted And Reliable Brands
This is a very key rule to follow when considering any product at all. Some brands, depending on their goals or target markets, may focus on making low budget products, thus making use of substandard materials. Other brands may focus on high-quality products, thus, making use of top-notch materials in the production of their furniture. It is left to you to understand the brand you are patronizing. You can do this by reading reviews about their products or the product you are thinking of purchasing.
Go For Products With High Warranties
Outdoor furniture products with high warranties show that the makers are confident about their products. Hence, some brands come with warranties of five years or more. A warranty also means your product will be repaired or replaced upon encountering any damage before its warranty time expires. On the downside, products with high warranties tend to be a little bit too pricey. Nevertheless, they are usually very strong and reliable, and you are most certainly going to get your money’s worth.
Go For Weather-Resistant Cushions
If you are considering a cushioned furniture, you may have to go beyond just doing research about the brand or the warranty. The fact is that regular cushion outdoor furniture wouldn’t do well in an environment that is prone to constant rainfall. Hence, your best bet might be to opt for weather-resistant cushion furniture. It will be extra helpful to ensure that the cushion has high UV ratings, which are helpful to help avoid any form of damage or potential threat from the sun.
You can seek the advice of furniture professionals or decorators for the most reliable or dependable piece of furniture for your environment. In most cases, they are better positioned to understand the best suiting and most-durable piece of furniture for your environment, and, specifically, for your space.
Best Ways To Protect And Care For Your Outdoor Furniture
Asides purchasing the ideal outdoor furniture for you, there is a need to see to it that your furniture is well taken care of. Without proper care, there are chances that your furniture wouldn’t be able to live to its potential. Some vital tips to help you effectively protect and care for your outdoor furniture are:
- Use soft clothes, detergent, and warm water to clean dirt on plastic furniture to ensure that they are kept constantly clean and to help them retain their color.
- Keep plastic furniture away from sunlight when they are not in use.
- Paint your wooden furniture with wooden preservers, and give them constant periodic treatments
- Clean your wooden furniture with damp soft clothes; dry with a towel when you are done cleaning, and apply some preservative oil on its surface after cleaning.
- Constantly clean or wash-off every kind of dropping on your metal and wood furniture.
- When you notice any rust on your metal furniture, make use of fine-grit sandpaper to totally get rid of it.
- Treat your furniture to stay fine through the difficulties that come through every season (spring, summer, fall, and winter).
Frequently Asked Questions About Outdoor Furniture
1. What Is The Best Material For Outdoor Furniture?
Well, there is no single, universal, and all-applicable best material for outdoor furniture. However, different materials are best for certain kinds of weather or applicable to certain kinds of environments. Also, every material has its advantages and disadvantages. While plastic-made furniture, for instance, is light and movable, it is very easily broken. In the same vein, pieces of outdoor furniture made from concrete can be strong and ideal against all weather; but they are not as movable as other kinds of furniture. Hence, different kinds of materials are best for you, depending on what quality you are most interested in.
2. How Long Should Outdoor Furniture Last?
The average outdoor furniture is expected to last tens of years (that means a minimum of ten years). Pieces of outdoor furniture, depending on the material with which they are made, how they have been cared for, the environments they have been exposed to, can last as long as 100 years. Some can last for just less than that, 60, 70, or 80 years. However, they are likely to fade and change from their original colors to some old greyish look. Now, some low-standard furniture isn’t expected to last for more than 10 to 15 years, or even much less.
3. How To Properly Store And Maintain Outdoor Furniture?
Even though outdoor furniture is meant to be kept constantly outdoors, there is a need to keep it safe from harmful weather. Wooden furniture is safest when kept away from rain and moisture. In the same vein, plastic chairs and tables are best stored away from sunlight as much as possible. Generally, outdoor furniture lasts longer when kept away from harmful chemicals.
4. How Do You Weatherproof Outdoor Furniture?
To waterproof any piece of outdoor furniture, first, you need to get a waterproofing fabric spray and a brush. Now, with this in place, you begin by brushing off the dirt from your furniture. With this done, ensure the furniture is dry, and spray thoroughly with the waterproofing spray. After spray, keep the furniture somewhere it will be safe from any moisture till it gets dry. Ensure the waterproofing product you are using is applicable to your furniture (you can do this by reading through its label).
5. How To Keep Outdoor Furniture From Molding?
You can prevent molds on your outdoor furniture by constantly treating it with natural anti-mold chemicals like white vinegar or tree oil. Simply note the parts of your furniture which are susceptible to molds and apply some on them. Alternatively, you can go for chemical products that have been made specifically to address molds on furniture.
It is certainly a good idea to own some outdoor furniture. They are aesthetically appealing and ideal for leisure. However, before purchasing some, you have to be certain you are ready to give it all it takes to ensure longevity and to maintain its beauty.
How long your outdoor furniture would last isn’t only dependent on the makers, the crux of the work actually depends on how you care for it. With sufficient information on the buying and maintenance of outdoor furniture, as provided in the article, you shouldn’t have much challenge in securing ideal and long-lasting furniture.