How To Store A Mattress Topper
Published: September 13, 2023
Learn the proper way to store your mattress topper with our helpful articles and keep it in top condition for years to come.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
When it comes to keeping your mattress topper clean and stored properly, there are a few key steps you should follow. Whether you need to store your mattress topper temporarily during a move or for an extended period of time, proper storage is essential to maintain its quality and ensure its longevity.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of storing a mattress topper effectively. From cleaning the topper to choosing the right storage option and ensuring its protection from dust and pests, we will provide you with all the necessary steps to ensure your mattress topper remains in the best condition possible.
By following these steps, you can maintain the freshness and quality of your mattress topper, extending its lifespan and ensuring that it is in great shape when you need to use it again. So, let’s delve into the details and learn how to store a mattress topper properly!
Step 1: Clean the Mattress Topper
The first step in storing a mattress topper is to ensure that it is thoroughly cleaned. Cleaning the topper before storage will help remove any dirt, stains, or odors that may have accumulated over time.
Start by referring to the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning the mattress topper. Different types of toppers may require specific cleaning methods or have certain restrictions. It’s important to follow these guidelines to avoid damaging the topper.
If the manufacturer’s instructions allow, you can typically clean a mattress topper by using a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to remove any surface debris or dust. Gently pass the vacuum over the topper in a back-and-forth motion to ensure thorough cleaning.
If there are any stains on the topper, you can spot clean them with a mixture of mild detergent and water. Use a clean cloth or sponge to apply the solution to the stained areas, and gently blot the stains until they are lifted.
Once the cleaning process is complete, it is crucial to ensure that the mattress topper is completely dry before storing it. Damp or wet conditions can lead to mold or mildew growth, which can ruin the topper. If necessary, allow the topper to air dry in a well-ventilated area, or use fans or dehumidifiers to speed up the drying process.
By cleaning your mattress topper thoroughly and allowing it to dry completely, you will remove any dirt, stains, or odors and prevent any potential damage during storage.
Step 2: Fold the Mattress Topper Properly
Once you have cleaned and dried your mattress topper, the next step is to fold it properly for storage. Proper folding ensures that the topper takes up less space and is easier to handle when storing or moving.
Start by laying the mattress topper flat on a clean and dry surface. Smooth out any wrinkles or creases to ensure a neat appearance. If your topper has straps or ties, make sure to secure them to keep the topper in place during folding.
Next, fold the topper in half lengthwise, bringing one end to meet the other end. Ensure that the edges are aligned and that the topper is evenly folded. If your topper is too large to fold in one go, you can fold it in thirds or quarters, depending on its size.
It’s important to avoid excessively tight folding, as this can damage the topper’s materials. Fold the topper gently and avoid putting too much pressure on it.
If your mattress topper is made of memory foam or another material that tends to retain its shape, it’s best to roll it up instead of folding it. Rolling helps maintain the integrity of the foam and prevents uneven compression.
When rolling the topper, start from one end and gradually roll it tightly towards the other end. Again, ensure that the edges are aligned and that the topper is evenly rolled. Use straps or ties to secure the rolled topper, preventing it from unraveling during storage.
By folding or rolling your mattress topper properly, you can maximize space utilization and ensure that it remains in good condition throughout the storage period.
Step 3: Choose the Right Storage Option
After cleaning and folding your mattress topper, it’s crucial to select the appropriate storage option to keep it safe and protected until you need to use it again. The right storage option will minimize the risk of damage from moisture, dust, pests, or other elements.
When choosing a storage option, consider factors such as available space, climate conditions, and the duration of storage. Here are a few options to consider:
- Plastic mattress storage bags: These bags are specifically designed to protect mattresses and mattress toppers from moisture, dust, and pests. They are made of durable plastic and can be sealed tightly to prevent any potential damage caused by exposure to the environment.
- Vacuum-sealed bags: Vacuum-sealed storage bags are a great option if you want to save space. These bags allow you to remove the air from the bag, reducing the size of the mattress topper and protecting it from moisture and dust.
- Storage containers: If you have enough space, consider storing your folded or rolled mattress topper in a plastic storage container. Ensure that the container is clean, dry, and airtight to protect the topper from dust and pests.
- Unused mattress box: If you still have the original box in which the mattress topper was delivered, it is a suitable option for storage. Place the folded or rolled topper inside the box and seal it securely with packing tape.
No matter which storage option you choose, make sure that it provides adequate protection and keeps the mattress topper dry and free from dust, pests, and potential damage.
Additionally, consider the location where you will store the mattress topper. Opt for a clean, dry, and well-ventilated space, such as a closet, attic, or storage room. Avoid storing the topper in areas prone to humidity, extreme temperatures, or direct sunlight, as these conditions can degrade the materials over time.
By selecting the right storage option and location, you can ensure that your mattress topper remains in excellent condition until you need it again.
Step 4: Store the Mattress Topper in a Dry and Clean Location
Now that you have chosen the right storage option, it’s time to find a suitable location to store your mattress topper. A dry and clean environment is crucial to prevent any moisture buildup, mold, pests, or other damage.
Here are some tips on selecting the best location for storing your mattress topper:
- Choose a dry area: Moisture can cause mold or mildew growth, which can ruin your mattress topper. Avoid storing it in basements or areas prone to humidity. If possible, use a dehumidifier in the storage space to control the moisture levels.
- Keep it clean: Ensure that the storage area is clean and free from dust, dirt, or any potential contaminants. Cleaning the storage space ahead of time will help to create a suitable environment for your mattress topper.
- Elevate from the floor: Place your folded or rolled mattress topper on top of pallets, shelves, or racks to keep it off the floor. This helps to protect it from any potential water damage or pests that may crawl from the ground.
- Use a mattress protector: Consider covering your mattress topper with a breathable mattress protector, even when in storage. This extra layer of protection can help prevent dust, moisture, and other potential damage.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Sunlight can cause your mattress topper to fade and degrade over time. Avoid storing it in areas with direct sunlight exposure, or cover it with a light-blocking fabric to protect it from UV rays.
By storing your mattress topper in a dry and clean location, you can ensure that it remains in optimal condition until you need it again. Regularly inspect the storage area to check for any signs of moisture, pests, or other potential issues. If necessary, take appropriate measures to address any problems promptly.
Remember, the condition of your storage space plays a significant role in preserving the quality and lifespan of your mattress topper.
Step 5: Protect the Mattress Topper from Dust and Pests
When storing your mattress topper, it’s important to take steps to protect it from dust and pests. Dust can accumulate over time and affect the cleanliness and freshness of the topper, while pests like insects or rodents can cause damage. Follow these tips to safeguard your mattress topper:
- Use a mattress cover: Consider using a mattress cover or protector specifically designed to keep dust mites, allergens, and bed bugs away. These covers provide an extra layer of protection and can easily be removed and washed when necessary.
- Seal the storage option: Ensure that the storage option you choose, such as plastic bags or containers, is properly sealed to prevent dust and pests from entering. Secure the closures tightly and double-check for any potential openings or gaps.
- Place repellents or deterrents: To prevent pests, you can place natural pest repellents or deterrents near the stored mattress topper. For example, lavender sachets, cedar chips, or mint leaves can help repel insects and keep the topper smelling fresh.
- Regularly inspect and clean: Periodically check your storage space for any signs of dust or pests. Wipe down the storage containers or bags with a damp cloth to remove any dust buildup. If you notice any pest activity, take appropriate measures to eliminate them.
- Maintain cleanliness: Keep the storage area clean and tidy. Regularly sweep or vacuum the surrounding floor to prevent the accumulation of dust or debris that could potentially transfer onto the mattress topper.
By implementing these protective measures, you can safeguard your mattress topper from dust and pests, ensuring that it remains fresh and clean throughout the storage period.
Remember to follow any specific instructions provided by the manufacturer regarding the use of protective covers or repellents to ensure the safety and integrity of your mattress topper.
Step 6: Avoid Placing Heavy Items on Top of the Mattress Topper
When storing your mattress topper, it’s important to avoid placing heavy items on top of it. The weight of these items can distort the shape of the topper, causing it to lose its original comfort and support.
Here are some reasons why you should refrain from placing heavy items on top of your mattress topper during storage:
- Preserve the original shape: Mattress toppers are designed to provide an extra layer of comfort and support to your mattress. Placing heavy items on top of the topper can lead to uneven compression, resulting in a distorted shape and decreased comfort when you want to use it again.
- Prevent damage: The weight of heavy items can cause the topper’s materials to weaken or tear over time. This can significantly reduce its lifespan and effectiveness. Avoiding heavy items on top of the topper will help preserve its quality and integrity.
- Maintain breathability: Mattress toppers are often made with materials that promote airflow and breathability. Placing heavy objects on top can obstruct this airflow and trap heat, potentially affecting the topper’s performance and comfort.
When storing your mattress topper, ensure that it is placed on a flat surface or stored in a manner that avoids any excessive pressure or weight on top. If using a storage container, avoid stacking other heavy items on top of the topper.
If you must store other items on the same shelf or in close proximity to the topper, ensure that they are lightweight and won’t place unnecessary pressure on it.
By avoiding the placement of heavy items on top of your mattress topper, you can maintain its original shape, prevent damage, and ensure its optimal performance when you decide to use it again.
Step 7: Regularly Check and Maintain the Mattress Topper in Storage
Even though your mattress topper is in storage, it’s important to regularly check and maintain its condition to ensure it remains in optimal shape. By doing so, you can address any potential issues early on and take the necessary steps to preserve its quality.
Here are some tips for checking and maintaining your mattress topper while in storage:
- Inspect for any signs of damage: Periodically examine the mattress topper for any signs of damage such as tears, mold growth, or discoloration. If you notice any issues, address them promptly to prevent further damage.
- Air it out: Once in a while, take the opportunity to air out the mattress topper. If weather conditions permit, bring it outside or place it in a well-ventilated area for a few hours. This helps to refresh the topper and prevent any musty odors from developing.
- Re-fold or re-roll: Over time, the folds or rolls of your mattress topper may loosen or become uneven. During your maintenance check, take the time to re-fold or re-roll the topper to ensure it retains its shape and remains compact in storage.
- Address any stains or odors: If you notice any new stains or odors on the mattress topper during inspection, treat them promptly. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for stain removal or consider using a mild fabric freshener to eliminate any unwanted odors.
- Keep it dry: Moisture can be a constant threat, even in storage. Regularly check the storage space for any signs of dampness or humidity. If necessary, use a dehumidifier or moisture absorber to keep the area dry and prevent any moisture-related damage to the topper.
By regularly checking and maintaining your mattress topper while in storage, you can address any issues promptly and ensure that it remains in the best possible condition. This will help to prolong its lifespan and maintain its comfort and quality for future use.
Properly storing your mattress topper is essential to maintain its cleanliness, freshness, and longevity. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that your mattress topper remains in optimal condition during its time in storage.
From cleaning the topper and folding it properly to choosing the right storage option and protecting it from dust and pests, each step plays a crucial role in preserving the quality of your mattress topper.
Remember to clean the topper thoroughly before storage, ensuring it is completely dry to prevent mold or mildew. Fold or roll the topper properly to save space and avoid placing heavy items on top to prevent distortion. Choose the appropriate storage option and location that are dry, clean, and provide adequate protection.
Protecting the topper from dust and pests with covers or storage containers is essential. Regularly check and maintain the topper in storage, addressing any issues promptly to prevent further damage.
When the time comes to use your mattress topper again, you’ll be glad you took the necessary steps to store it properly. Your topper will be fresh, clean, and ready to provide you with the comfort and support you need for a good night’s sleep.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your mattress topper remains in excellent condition for years to come, extending its lifespan and optimizing your sleeping experience.