12 Innovative Popsicle Stick Crafts to Expand Your Imagination
Published: September 28, 2021
Modified: October 7, 2021
Written by: Cielo Bayobay
Unleash your child's creativity with these popsicle stick crafts! Get to learn what are some of the best popsicle stick crafting materials here.
A popsicle stick is more than just a piece of wood that is used to hold ice cream. Your child can also use them for some arts and crafts. Creative activities using popsicle sticks are beneficial for kids because it helps develop motor skills. But the benefits of popsicle stick crafts aren’t just limited to kids. These could also be advantageous to adults because they can be a good pastime.
What to Do with Popsicle Stick Crafts?
It all boils down to your imagination. However, if you are not a crafty person, you could start with something simple. For example, drawing people and animals on popsicle sticks. You can use this for puppet plays to stimulate your child’s creativity and imagination. You could also glue the sticks together to build miniature houses, picture frames, fans, and a whole lot more! There’s a lot of popsicle art crafts ideas all over the Internet, so just do a quick research and you’ll find many fun activities that you can do with your child.
How Do Popsicle Stick Crafts Help Develop a Child’s Motor and Cognitive Skills?
Popsicle stick crafts are more than just fun and creative activities that could hone the artistic skills of a child. They are also beneficial in developing motor and cognitive skills. As children use their hands and fingers to create various crafts out of popsicle sticks, it strengthens their grip and improves their hand-eye coordination.
Meanwhile, cognitive skills slowly develop every time they create something new out of popsicle sticks. During this process, children will stumble upon challenges that will test their decision-making skills and will compel them to become innovative.
Both core skills are vital in a child’s growth and development because they make everyday tasks (such as buttoning a shirt and tying their shoes) easy. Moreover, since these skills involve activities that help exercise their brain, improving them could aid in a child’s academic success.
12 Popsicle Sticks Crafts for Your Child to Play With
Popsicle sticks are not just limited to plain, wooden craft sticks. Today, you can find many other designs with different shapes and colors. With these innovative craft sticks, art and craft activities will be much more fun and challenging for you and your child! Here are some of them:
Although this set of Wooden Popsicle Craft Sticks from Artilicious looks plain, it is a great craft material to test the artistic abilities of a child. Making crafts out of these wooden sticks can be likened to painting on a plain canvas; it is up to the artist’s imagination to create a masterpiece using a simple art medium. If you want to challenge your child’s artistry skills, you should start with these wooden craft sticks.
- Resealable pack
- Natural birch wood material
- The package includes 200 popsicle sticks
- This item measures ⅜ inch x 4 ⅜ inches
- Sustainable, natural wood product
- Craft sticks are durable
- It’s thinner compared to regular popsicle sticks.
If your child is only two years old or younger, chances are that the muscles on their hands are still weak. Usually, they are fully developed at the age of four or five. So, it wouldn’t be a good idea to introduce them to small popsicle sticks right away. Choose these Jumbo Craft Sticks from Multicraft Imports to make their art sessions easier and a lot more fun. These are a bit larger than regular popsicle sticks so they are easy to play grasp and play with.
- Durable wood craft sticks
- Natural raw wood popsicle sticks
- Includes 25 jumbo craft sticks
- Measures 7.9 inches x 0.8 inch
- Doesn’t easily splint so safe for kids
- Ideal for making plant markers and other popsicle artworks
- Not available in large packs
Part of making craft projects with popsicle sticks is to mix and apply paint. If you want wooden sticks that won’t easily expand, you should consider buying these Paint Sticks from Woodpeckers. These wooden craft sticks are sturdy enough so you can mix thick liquids such as acrylic paint to put on them. Since they last longer, you could save enough wooden paint sticks for your next popsicle art project.
- Durable wooden sticks
- Smooth surface
- Each wooden stick measures 12 inches x 1 inch
- 1 pack includes 25 wooden sticks
- Comes in various packs and sizes
- Eco-friendly and recyclable
- Smooth surface
- Smaller and narrower than regular paint sticks
Painting with kids is guaranteed to be messy. It would be heartbreaking to see your furniture stained with non-washable paint. Avoid the risk of getting stains on your beloved furniture without compromising the fun of doing craft projects with your kids.If you want to avoid messy paint projects, try using these Colored Popsicle Sticks from Woodpeckers. The popsicle sticks are painted with plant-based dye so they are safe for children to use. Furthermore, these sticks have smooth, round edges, so they won’t accidentally cause splinters.
- Natural, plant-based dye
- Rainbow-colored popsicle sticks
- A pack includes 100 popsicle sticks of different colors.
- This product measures 6 inches long, ¾ inch wide, and 1.5mm thick.
- Made from sustainable source wood
- Color tends to bleed if the popsicle sticks get some moisture.
One of the best popsicle stick crafts for preschoolers is a popsicle sticks fan. It’s fairly easy to do as you need basic crafting materials such as watercolors, fasteners, and scissors. If you want to try this out with your child, you should have these Jumbo Popsicle Stick Crafts. These wooden sticks have wavy edges so you can use them as fan handles. Just make sure to drill a hole first on each popsicle stick and let your child work on the coloring and drawing.
- Wavy shape
- Natural birch material
- Popsicle sticks measure 8 inches x 1 inch
- 1 pack includes 50 sticks
- Available in various packs and colors
- Designed for making promotional fans and other popsicle artwork
- Vegetable dye is used so they are safe for kids
- Some sticks are misshapen
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of drilling holes on popsicle sticks, you can just purchase these Wooden Lolly Craft Sticks from Healifty. Each stick has pre-drilled holes so you only have to use fasteners and ropes to connect the sticks. This might be challenging for kids because they have to try tying a rope knot, but it could also be a good activity to enhance their fine motor skills. Nonetheless, the important thing here is that they were able to exercise the muscles on their hands.
- Non-waxed, odorless popsicle sticks
- Pre-drilled, colorful craft sticks
- 1 pack includes 50 sticks
- Popsicle sticks measure 15 cm x 1.6 cm x 0.16 cm
- No more hassle drilling
- Made of natural wood
- Would have been better if it’s available in large packs
It’s normal for kids to suddenly eat a toy (or anything that’s not food) because they are curious about their surroundings. If you are worried this might happen during playtime, make sure you provide them with non-toxic toys and crafts. It could also help to avoid using glue when making art projects because the glue can cause stomach pain if accidentally ingested. Thus, it would be better to use these Sawtooth Popsicle Sticks from FFNIU730 as these craft sticks do not need glue to be put together.
- Sawtooth edges
- Colorful popsicle sticks
- 1 pack includes 100 popsicle sticks
- Popsicle sticks measure 4.5 inches long, 0.39 inches wide, and 0.08 inches deep
- Made of safe, non-toxic materials
- Makes assembling easy, thanks to the sawtooth edges
- Colors might bleed if hands are wet
Wouldn’t it be better if your child has more art materials aside from popsicle sticks? They can do a whole lot more creative crafts with those wooden sticks. This would push the limits of their imagination, and who knows, you might discover that they are natural artists. Now if you want to challenge your child’s artistry skills more, you should give them this Art Supplies Har from BACHMORE. This is a complete craft set for kids because it includes popsicle sticks, foam letters, flowers, plastic beads, and a whole lot more! If you are going to buy art sets, make sure you’ll also invest in one of these craft cabinets to keep the art materials organized.
- Environmentally friendly art kit
- Reusable plastic jar
- Item weight is 10.5 ounces
- Overall package dimensions are 8.58 inches x 3.78 inches x 3.7 inches
- Great as a present
- Various crafting materials in one jar
- The actual product looks smaller than in the pictures.
You don’t have to buy expensive toys for your child if you want them to have fun. Sometimes, you can make toys by yourself. For example, you can use these mini rainbow popsicle sticks to make miniature barns and DIY mini fences and gates. Since these are smaller compared to regular popsicle sticks, you can easily add intricate details to any of your creations. Encourage your child to build as it can help develop and expand their creativity.
- Rainbow-colored wooden craft sticks
- Made from natural wood
- The package includes 2000 wood popsicle sticks.
- Each popsicle stick measures 0.09 x 2 inches.
- Available to purchase in bulk
- Have smooth surfaces for easy-gluing
- Colors might bleed if glue is used
Through puppet play, children can understand their emotions better and learn how to be sympathetic. You can do puppet plays without buying expensive plushies. A good alternative would be these Craft Sticks from Chenille. Since these popsicle sticks are pre-cut into people’s shapes, it’s easier to make puppets out of them. Another awesome feature of these craft sticks is that it is available in two designs: one is shaped like a girl and the other is shaped like a boy.
- People-shaped wood crafts
- Smooth wooden surface
- 1 pack contains 16 pieces of popsicle sticks (8 girls and 8 boys).
- Each popsicle measures 4 inches x 8 inches x 1.25 inches.
- Suitable for kids of all ages
- Pre-cut popsicle sticks ideal for puppet plays
- Not available in large packs
People Who Search For Popsicle Stick Crafts Also Search For
Since popsicle sticks are considered disposable items, it’s better to purchase recyclable ones. Fortunately, you can buy such crafting items here at Custom Shop. Their craft sticks are non-toxic, environmentally friendly because they are made of natural wood. Plus, the natural wood used is of premium grade so the sticks won’t easily break even if you use it for stirring paint or other thick liquids.
- Child-safe craft sticks
- Solid, smooth surface
- A pack includes over a hundred pieces of woodcraft sticks.
- Each stick measures 12 inches long.
- Ideal for stirring paint and children art projects
- Affordable large wooden sticks
- Quite thin compared to other wooden craft sticks
We have mentioned lots of stirring sticks on our list, but these Stirring Sticks from HTVRONT stand out the most. Not only are they durable enough to mix glue and epoxy resins, but they are also easy to clean because they are made of high-quality PVC material. You can just use a cloth or tissue to clean it. If you want to paint your DIY popsicle artwork with vibrant colors, you should use these stirring sticks to make sure the paint is mixed well before application.
- Durable PVC material
- Smooth, rounded ends
- Includes 20 pieces of stirring sticks
- Sticks measure 5.8 inches x 0.07 inch
- Available in 4 different colors
- Eco-friendly reusable popsicle sticks for stirring
- Quite thin sticks
Make playtimes more enjoyable with innovative popsicle stick crafts! Not only will these wooden sticks keep your kids from boredom, but they can also help in their growth and development. Just make sure to keep an eye on them every time they play with these craft sticks. Since most are made of wood, popsicle sticks could splinter their fingers. As we don’t want them injured, consider buying one of our recommended popsicle stick crafts above. Not only are they durable, but they are mostly dyed using plant-based colorings so they are child-friendly.
Don’t forget to also invest in one of these craft tables to make popsicle artwork projects more convenient! Besides, wouldn’t it be better to work on a proper table instead of doing it on the ground? You can focus more and it helps prevent back pain. Plus, these tables provide extra storage for your art materials so you can neatly arrange them after use.