After the TV room or living area, the kitchen is one of the most important and used places in almost every home around the world. It is where families come together after a long day outside of their houses, to relax, find comfort and food.
That is why in today’s post we’ll be going over every single point to find the best kitchen furniture, kitchen table, Island and bar stools, so that you can find not only add joy but functionality and convenience within your kitchen space as well.
Before you begin the renovation or remodeling of your old kitchen or start building one from scratch there are many factors that need to be considered, along with finding your aesthetic.
Things You Need To Know About Kitchen Furniture
Let’s begin by taking a look at a few things you need to consider before you go on to purchase new kitchen furniture. These points may seem simple, but they are important to keep them in mind.
- Maintenance: the first and foremost thing on your list while looking for kitchen furniture needs to be how easily it can be maintained and cleaned. Since you’ll be seeing a ton of spills and messes in the kitchen it is important to keep items that can handle the wear and tear, with material that can easily be cleaned.
- Space to be Covered: space and area your kitchen covers are also important to take into consideration while figuring out a design. Similarly, deciding on whether you want an open kitchen layout or a more closed one, will depend on how many areas you’ll be allocating to your kitchen
- Functionality: making a functional kitchen is imperative if you’re going to spend a major chunk of your day there. Finding spaces for the appliances you’ll use and the drawer sizes etc are variables you need to keep stock of. This will make sure you’re not continuously stressing out rummaging for items or running into the things.
- Considerations for kids or special people: if you or some of your family members have special needs, designing kitchen countertops or drawers for their easy and accessibility is a good point to keep in mind. You can find many solutions for different scenarios and customize the height of cupboards or islands accordingly.
- Budget: another important to keep in mind is your budget. It is wise to be frugal and flexible because if the renovation involves construction there can be some extra cost. So keep enough room in your budget for unforeseen expenses that can come along.
How To Organize Kitchen
Now that you’ve figured out the points to consider before purchasing kitchen furniture lets take a look at some strategies you can use to organize your kitchen furniture properly. Here are some recommendations:
- Keep appliances that you use daily, on the counter. If it makes too much clutter or you have less counter space, place only one or two of them.
- Having a kitchen table in the center will save space and cost if you don’t want to spend too much money on buying a kitchen island. It can function as a dining table as well.
- Place a long ceiling and narrow cupboard in the spaces where you can’t fit anything for extra storage area.
- Organize all your kitchen tools and cutlery items into pull-out drawers for quick access.
- Similarly, if you want to organize your pantry items adding pull out rack cupboards can help sort out dry goods and spices.
- Add lazy Susan in your kitchen to better manage cleaning supplies and pots and pans.
Types Of Kitchen Layouts
Keeping the space dimensions, you have designated for your kitchen into account, there are many layouts that you can opt for, to design your dream kitchen.
A Galley kitchen layout is made up of two cabinet rows facing each other which creates a passage in between, which is called a galley layout . This type of layout works well for homes that don’t have a lot of space to work with or have a more rectangular area as their kitchen space. It also is a cost-efficient and uncomplicated design which means you get more storage space and room to walk around.
Another design that is best for smaller homes is a one wall kitchen layout – which as the name suggests – gives a clean look and makes use of the little space you have. You can install all cabinets against one wall and maximize all your storage cabinets against that one wall. This way you don’t have too much furniture or clutter to work with, and can organize all your appliances and pans in one place
By using two perpendicular walls you can create an L-shaped kitchen layout that can be effective for both small and large kitchens but depends on the home design. You will have to use some clever carpentry tactics to get an L shaped design, but if you’re looking to use a space that will go unused and can’t be knocked then, this will work best for you.
It is recommended to keep the legs of the L shaped cabinets less than 4.5m for better functionality.
If you have many people that will be using the kitchen at the same time, then a U-shaped kitchen layout will enable the space to not feel too overcrowded. This layout consists of using cabinetry along three adjacent walls, thus creating the U shape. You get a ton of storage space as well.
A G-shaped layout is best for large kitchens where you get to configure cabinets along 4 walls for storage while adding a preparation counter that completes the G shape. The blueprint of this layout resembles the letter G- hence the name. You can easily place bar stools around the outer counter, for a makeshift dining space.
This may be the most popular form of the layout used in homes that have an open plan. You get to install a large work space in the middle of the kitchen that can be used as a preparation area. Many Islands have wine fridges, bowl storage and shelves to store things in them as well, while modern Islands have power outlets as well.
Types Of Kitchen Furniture
In order to complete your kitchen layout idea that we’ve mentioned above, here are some kitchen furniture types that you can get for your kitchen space:
Kitchen Furniture Buying Guide
Although buying kitchen furniture is an exciting business, it can be overwhelming or confusing if you don’t know what to look for or if you don’t know what you need. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind while out shopping:
- Decide on a kitchen layout from the ones that we mentioned above. This will make sure that you don’t go over your budget or choose things that won’t fit in your kitchen.
- Once you’ve got the layout planned and decided, form a rough budget for how much you’re willing to spend on cabinets, worktops, appliances, and the installation.
- When buying kitchen furniture focus on the material you want to have installed in your kitchen such as plywood, MDF, carcass material. Similarly, 18mm thick boards are more durable than 15mm, so keep that in mind.
- Decide on the kitchen look you’re going such as in Frame kitchen style or High gloss kitchen, this way you can narrow down the furniture costs well.
- When choosing a kitchen table, keep the measurements of your kitchen at hand to not order a table that is too big or too small.
- When ordering bar stools, make sure you sit and feel them out to see which one is more comfortable or easy to place around.
- Kitchen Islands come in a variety of sizes, quirks, and worktop finishes. If you’re looking for more modern design keep power outlets, shelves, and mobility while choosing in mind because many islands have the option of having wheels on them.
Kitchen Furniture Storage Ideas
When you have your desired kitchen furniture installed, now is the time to get your organizational hat on and have fun storing items in them. Here are some ideas that we bet will make Marie Kondo proud:
- Use organizers to categorize the different products you have in one place. This will make sure things don’t look scattered.
- Lady Susan trays are a good way to organize all your cleaning supplies underneath the sink as you won’t have to fiddle around with containers of different sizes.
- Use vertical separators to store all your cutting boards, cheese boards, and wooden platters – that take a lot of space when places flat on counters.
- Label markers are a fun and fool proof method of making sure you don’t pick up the baking soda instead of salt among your array of spices. Plus you can get creative with different font typefaces to use from.
- If you’re short on counter space, add pop-up shelves on the counter to stack up dishes and glassware.
- Pegs are useful for storing plates and bowls in drawers. They make sure that when you’re closing or pulling the drawers, none of your fragile plates fall or crash into another.
How To DIY Kitchen Furniture
It is always a fun idea to try DIY projects at home. And sometimes for half the price, you can upscale some of the kitchen furniture you have around the house. Down below are some ways you can reuse things you already have in your kitchen.
DIY Kitchen Island
If you already have an island at home or an old table that is lying around, you can easily convert it into a kitchen island by buying a slab of marble or granite and sealing it firmly on the top. By adding wheels down, you can easily place it wherever you like.
DIY Kitchen Cabinet
There is nothing better than using bright colors or a pastel color palette to bring a fresh look to kitchen cabinets that haven’t seen a new coat of paint in decades. It is remodeling on a budget and an interactive activity to do on a day off or during the holidays.
DIY Kitchen Table
A kitchen table will see a lot of wear and tear over the years because let’s face it, it will see a lot of use and love – including spillage and broken pieces. But don’t worry, you can easily fix a rough work top by using some wood varnish and giving a new look. What is more, there are paints available that give tables a more rustic and glossy finish.
Best Ways To Protect and Care For Your Kitchen Furniture
If you want to get your money’s worth from the kitchen furniture you’re investing in, it is important you take good care of it so that it lasts you for generations to come. Let’s face it, kitchen furniture is usually a long-term investment where you’re looking to install pieces that you won’t have to replace or buy all over again in just a few year’s time.
To ensure that your furniture remains protected for a longer time, there are some simple care and protection strategies that you can follow. Here are some ways you can increase the life of the kitchen furniture you have:
- Make sure you clean the kitchen bench tops and counters each night before you go to sleep. It is a good habit to keep and will make sure stains don’t become permanent.
- Clean your kitchen cabinets and knobs at least every 3 days. You never know what sort of stains can cling to the surfaces and cleaning them after a while will be hard and tedious. So make the job of cleaning easier for you by maintaining them regularly.
- Having cleaning products may make you feel like you can conquer anything, but be wary of the chemicals in products that are not only harsh for the surfaces but harmful for the environment as well.
- Adding a new coat of wax to your cabinets, kitchen islands or tables bi-annually or annually will refresh the protective barrier that will make sure that wine stains or discoloration can be avoided for as long as possible.
- This may seem like a no brainer – but use your kitchen cabinets with love and care. Don’t slam the doors of your kitchen furniture, as it can weaken the hinges or cause unnecessary wear and tear.
- Some furniture doesn’t do well while being exposed to moisture for a longer period of time. This can be in the form of hanging wet rags or table cloths. It can erode the paint or cause the wood to expand which isn’t something we want.
Frequently Asked Questions About Kitchen Furniture
Before and after you make your kitchen furniture purchase, there are several questions that you may have. For example, before buying your furniture, you may be uncertain as to what type of material you should invest in. Similarly, after the purchase, you may be wondering how to best preserve your furniture so that it lasts long and you don’t have to worry about buying the pieces of furniture all over again.
Here are some FAQs that you may have regarding kitchen furniture.
1. What Is The Best Material For Kitchen Furniture?
There is not a single best material for kitchen furniture, there are many but it depends on your budget and the look you’re going for. Hardwood is one of the most durable materials for kitchens like hickory or maple but they are expensive. Similarly, particleboard is a cheaper option to go for, but not very durable
2. How To Choose High-Quality Kitchen Furniture?
While choosing high-quality furniture, keep material, and make in mind as it will decide durability and longer life. Some of the high-quality material that you can go for is hardwood, plywood, and furniture made of glass or aluminum.
3. How Do You Keep Kitchen Furniture From Molding?
One of the best ways to avoid mold from accumulating on your kitchen furniture is by using mold-resistant paint, regularly inspecting the places you find the mold and removing it, and make sure you wipe down all walls and cabinets.
4. How Do You Make Your Kitchen Look Luxurious?
It is easy to think that in order to make your kitchen look luxurious and high end you will have to spend a ton of money, but there are a few hacks you can do to get that beautiful look you’re after.
- Upgrade your knobs and light fissures to a more monochromatic, sleek look. They’re easy to install and don’t cost a lot.
- A luxurious looking kitchen usually has a neutral color palette that doesn’t clash in your eyes or seem too bright. Plus the finish is usually glossy, matte, or with a distressed finish.
- Similarly by adding glass doors to your cabinets can instantly bring a very classy and chic look that’ll look luxurious.
- The backsplash is the one place where you can experiment by recasting it to a more personal style and taste. Try incorporating a stone-like look with adhesive stickers that give the same look.
5. How Do You Style Kitchen Furniture?
Don’t go hiring an interior designer or planner to find the best style for your kitchen. You can simply start by choosing a theme to go with and plan mood boards accordingly. Also, decide the look based on your preference for a more timeless or modern look and place your kitchen furniture accordingly.