Managing the storage space of your garage can be challenging. You want to have enough space for parking your vehicles, and at the same time, you’ve no place else for dumping all the tools and equipment.
The clutter keeps on piling up on the floor, and before you know it, you have no place even to walk properly. To avoid this haphazardness, one must utilize all the wall and ceiling space to maximize the garage space using storage racks.
In this guide, we’ll pen down everything that’ll help you make an informed decision about which storage rack to purchase and also answer some garage storage racks FAQs.
Things You Should Know About Storage Racks
Before investing in storage racks for your garage, there are a few garage storage ideas to consider. Not every rack fits every garage, and not every material withstands every temperature. These are the two most important factors to consider.
Plastic, steel, and wood are three of the common materials used for building storage racks. However, even though wood and plastic are quite economical options, they can’t hold all types of items. Also, plastic can face cracking and melting if exposed to high temperatures.
Steel is one material that remains sturdy no matter what you store on it, and whatever temperatures you expose it to, it holds to its form. There are variations available in it so you can pick whichever suits your requirements.
The size and structure of the garage is another vital factor to consider. For garages that are narrow in length or width but have taller ceilings, overhead storage racks are the way to go. Others with a somewhat large area can accommodate wall cabinets and racks.
Why You Need Garage Storage Racks
It’s simple. You want to maximize the garage using storage racks. Your garage stores a pile of items ranging from small tires, wheels, saws, chains, gardening, and sports equipment to heavy-duty lawnmowers, hardware items, wooden planks, bikes, and water heaters.
All of this, if left on the floor, would only create a mess and can get damaged easily. Storage racks would help you store all of these items conveniently in an organized manner while freeing up space from the floor.
Where To Buy High Quality And Affordable Garage Storage Racks
Amazon and Walmart are your best friends for purchasing high-quality garage racks. These two places not only have the most amazing yet reasonable options available but also have round the year sales every few months. These factors make these online locations the perfect place for buying garage racks.
The Perfect Storage Racks For Your Garage
How To Organize Garage Storage Racks
To organize storage racks, first, you need to see which ones go best with the space and structure of your garage storage systems. Once all the racks and shelves are installed, you need to start sorting out all the items.
See which ones are frequently used and which aren’t. Then place the less used items on top shelves while those of frequent use on the lower ones. This way, you will be able to keep the necessary items like car equipment and bikes in proximity.
Sorting out your garage storage racks every few months would be a great idea as it’ll help you get rid of all the junk and make space for new items.
How To Utilize Garage Storage Racks
The garage space can represent a big opportunity to organize all your belongings. If you put some thought into the process, you may well end up having an organized garage with an aesthetic enough look as well.
The key to organizing your storage racks is to assess your needs first and then to buy the best garage storage racks for your garage. This planned buying will solve the problem of the shelves looking out of place and unruly. However, if you already have the storage racks at your disposal, you can quickly work out a plan according to the layout of your garage.
This plan will include a rough sketch to figure where to put your floor standing racks, which spot to hoist an overhead garage ceiling storage, which wall would be suitable for the bike storage pulley, and so on. The layout and the space of your garage will determine where to put these storage racks.
Taking care of these steps will help you to utilize garage storage racks to their maximum potential. Not only will they declutter your garage space but also provide a safe and secure place to stow away all your belongings.
10 Ways To Maximize Your Garage Space Using Storage Racks
- A pegboard on your wall goes a long way to organize and maximize garage space using storage racks. A pegboard storage rack is one of the most versatile storage organizers out there. You can attach hooks to the board for suspending tools as well as other paraphernalia.
- A combination of open and closed style shelving can significantly enhance the look of your garage space. Apart from adding to the aesthetic of the place, it also helps you remove the clutter from the garage floor and utilize the vertical wall space. These shelves come in different colors, such as teak, walnut, and black, and can easily suit your individual needs.
- Shelf brackets are an easy way to maximize garage using storage racks as it efficiently uses all the vertical storage space available in the garage. The shelves are used for placing stuff atop. Meanwhile, the brackets can be used as regular hooks for storing items.
- Designing your garage in the same vein as your kitchen goes a long way in maximizing the efficiency of your garage. This can include full-blown cabinets for items, a sink, open, and closed drawers for different items. Not only does the garage becomes more functional, but you also have a lot more space to stow away all the stuff, usually lying out in the garage.
- Clear plastic storage boxes are one of the best storage racks ideas that add a whole new dimension to the garage storage. Simple shelves and these plastic boxes can cater to all your storage needs. Simply use these boxes that come in various sizes to store your clothes, tools, supplies, and even books safely. Simply arrange the boxes on the shelves or stack them in the corner of your garage.
- Industrial storage racking is another way to enhance your storage capabilities substantially. These storage racks can be bought in under 200 USD and offer a great many advantages. They include sturdy support, suitable for heavy loads, and ease of usage.
- To fully utilize the vertical space of your garage, switch to the garage storage towers. These storage racks are built in the shape of long vertical floor-standing cabinets. They make storing stuff a lot easier by catering to large size plastic storage bins.
- A tool storage rack is just like a pegboard for storing all your tools, brooms, and other electrical devices. It is one of the best storage racks ideas as it conveniently keeps away hazardous items so that you have them in one place at all times and away from harm’s way. Also, retrieving these tools in the time of need becomes much easier when they are present in a single place.
- The overhead storage racks can introduce a whole new aspect to your storage space utilization. It maximizes vertical space usage by using the space close to your ceiling. These racks are capable of storing voluminous items such as bikes and camping gear, giving your garage a decluttered look.
- A bike rack is a perfect way to store your bikes. It gives your garage a cleaner look while stowing away the bike safely on the walls and maximizing the utility of vertical space in your garage.
Best Paint Color Ideas For Storage Racks
In the storage racks things to consider, the color of the racks is an essential factor. The storage racks can be painted as well, but it should be noted that the functionality should be the main priority. Besides, garages are usually painted a grey picture with lots of furniture and items lying around.
For garage storage racks, the colors that the racks usually come in are silver, white, grey, and black with some brown in case of wooden racks. These colors are more than capable of serving your aesthetic needs, and if need be, wooden racks can be polished to produce either light, medium, dark or rustic finishes.
One of the best storage racks ideas includes painting them a color to accentuate your living room or garage. In the case of book storage racks, this is easily achievable by painting the inner part of these shelves a bright color. These include yellow, blue, brown, and even red. Combine this with a white outer frame; you’ve got yourself an appealing storage rack for your living room.
For basements and garages, the storage racks should be painted a dark color as they are subjected to a lot of dust. This dark paint is one of the best storage racks ideas as it will help avoid the accumulation of dust on the storage racks.
Best Ways To Store Your Bicycle
Storing your bike can be a tricky task as it preferably requires an indoor storage space. This is due to the fact that outdoor spaces are unsafe as well as lead to wear and rust on the bike. To remedy this situation, you can look for best garage bike storage options such as hoist racking, ceiling stands, kickstands, and wall mount racks.
- Store your bikes in the garage regardless of any racking capabilities.
- Try to install floor-standing rack storage or kickstand rack at the minimum for storing the bike.
- Wall mounts are an excellent option for safe storage of your bikes. These range from simple hooks, hook and tray assembly, horizontal mounts, to hinges. They have the option of storing your bikes by hooking to the wheels vertically or merely placing them horizontally on ceiling storage racks.
- Multiple bikes in the house can pose a bigger challenge. Overhead storage racks are one of the best storage racks ideas for the garage as they provide you with the most efficient solution to store more than two bikes and hence save a lot of garage space.
- The hoist storage system uses a pulley to safely tuck your bike against the wall and out of sight. It amounts to efficient usage of storage space by utilizing the unused upper portion of the garage.
- Another easy setup to introduce to your garage is the gravity stand setup. Here, the bikes and their weight make the simple stand work as they push downwards. This is amongst the best bike storage options for your garage as you don’t even need to put nails or bolts on your walls and still enjoy the safe storage of your bikes.
Garage Storage Racks Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some garage storage racks FAQ and their answers:
1. How To Store My Bicycle Properly In a Garage?
The proper way to store your bicycle is to use any indoor storage space, preferably a garage. This allows you to keep the bicycle safe from inclement weather and intruders. Storing your bicycle is made easier by employing a bicycle storage rack.
These come in various forms and sizes, with the simple hooks being the most common ones. Elaborate pulley systems can also be used to store your bicycle. All these storage options can help you safely store your bicycle.
2. Storing Bicycle Upside Down Is Bad?
Storing the bicycle upside down is not bad. In fact, it is the preferred way to store your bicycle, especially for longer durations. This is due to the tires on your bicycle getting deflated if left standing on the floor.
3. What Is The Difference Between Racks And Shelves?
In the storage racks, things to consider to know the difference between racks and shelves is an important one. Racks are used for storing large boxes and storage items; meanwhile, shelves typically store small daily use items.
Shelves make it easier to retrieve items from them when needed, while racks, especially warehouse racks, may need assisted machinery to retrieve stuff from.
4. How To Make Overhead Garage Storage Racks
The overhead garage storage racks provide a lot of convenience by stowing away all your belongings out of sight. This decluttered look for your garage can be attained by simply buying storage racks online of your choosing and fitting in your garage ceiling. Care must be given in following the instructions that come in the manual for the storage rack.
5. Benefits Of Having Overhead Garage Storage Racks
- A significant benefit of going for overhead garage storage racks is the amount of space you save. This leads to a decluttered garage space where you can easily store bicycles, park your car, and even establish your own hobby area.
- Along with the space saved, you also get to save a lot of money as you don’t need to look for alternatives for storing your stuff efficiently.
- Getting your garage organized can be a tedious task. With overhead storage racks, you can easily manage to keep your garage neat, clean, and organized.
- Garage space is usually reserved for adults, but kids can often find themselves in the garage. Avoiding the accidental incursion by kids is made possible by installing an overhead garage storage rack. It provides safety in storing possibly risky items such as electric tools and gardening supplies.
- The overhead storage racks are made from steel and provide strength, durability, and peace of mind that comes due to its easy installation procedure.
It is essential to know the space available in your garage, especially space above your garage door, as it affects the racks that can be mounted on the ceiling. In the storage racks things to consider, this estimation is an important one to let you make an informed choice about buying the overhead storage rack.
6. Organize Your Tools Using Overhead Garage Storage Racks
You can easily store all your tools in the overhead garage storage racks by either using the hooks or large plastic containers. Either way, rest assured your tools will be out of harm’s way and out of the reach of kids.
7. Types Of Racking
Here are some of the most common type of racking used:
- Selective Racking
- Drive-in Racking
- Carton Flow Racking
- Sliding (mobile) Racking
8. Safe & Non-Metal Storage Racks Ideas For Your Kids
There are several storage racks that are safe to use for your kids and are made of a non-metal material. These include wooden shelves, plastic shelves, and other bookshelf ideas predominantly.
- A simple wooden bookshelf is the best companion for your kids. You can vary the colors, symmetry, go for custom made designs, or look for a newsstand bookshelf to meet your needs.
- Another great idea for storage racks for kids is that of rain gutters being used as wall-mounted shelves. These can store kids’ books and small toys while giving a neat look to the room.
- Using PVC pipes in conjunction with curtain cloth can make for a great storage racks idea. It avoids the books falling as is with traditional bookcases with no holders.
- If you’re looking for a multitasking approach, you can opt for the kid’s book caddy that provides a shelf under a V-shaped book storage area.
9. How To Store Bicycle Using Racks?
Bicycle storage can be a lot efficient if you have racks as storage options. These can range from simple hooks suspended from overhead ceiling storage. Also, you can opt for the gravity racks if you don’t want to fill your walls with unnecessary studs and screws. Vertical storage racks that can easily hold two bicycles at a time are the most used form of storage and will make the storage hassle-free.