Home>Pantry Storage>Best Tea Set For Afternoon Brunch Parties At Home
Best Tea Set For Afternoon Brunch Parties At Home
Modified: February 7, 2023
Spill the tea in the classiest way with the best tea set there is! Check out the best set for your afternoon tea and feel like royalty.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Afternoon brunch parties are not complete without someone spilling the tea. And one does not simply spill the tea without the fanciest tea set. Sitting down and having tea with queens that are your friends is one of life’s greatest pleasures. So, to commemorate those beautiful moments, we’ve gathered the best tea sets you can enjoy with your sisters and all.
A Brief History of Tea Sets
Before going straight into teacups and kitschy sugar bowls, a history lesson is needed to appreciate the origins of a proper tea set. There’s something romantic about porcelain and its intricate details, from each petal print to the curvature of the cup handle. But, how did the tea set we know now come to be? Let’s dive into ceramics, China, and England to find out!
People have been drinking tea for the longest time that its origins stem from mythology and legends. However, the recorded history of the tea set began in China during the Han Dynasty, and it doesn’t resemble the tea sets widely used today. During this time, tea wasn’t consumed as a daily drink for pleasure but as a medicinal potion. So, people drank from bowls that were also used for holding different spices and cooking.
It was in the 1600s that tea finally came to Europe. The English adapted the tea set to a more comfortable and convenient style, with European potters adding a handle to keep fingers protected from the heat of the pot and the cups. This was brought upon by the fact that the British preferred black tea, which calls for hotter temperatures compared to Chinese green tea. The size of the teacups also evolved into a larger size to accommodate the European taste for milk and sugar.
Different Kinds of Tea Sets
Tea is one of the things the world shares and understands in different cultures. It is universal. However, just like its consumers, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. A tea set has distinct forms from each part of the world, and each differ on the type of material used, what kind of tea they’re for, and their cultural heritage.
English Tea Set
An English tea set is the most popular kind of teaware because of its beautiful designs. The rise of British TV shows and films has showcased the English love for drinking tea, which has now become synonymous with being British. Britain produces porcelain tea sets complete with a sugar bowl, milk jug, saucers, and even teaspoons! English tea sets are ideal if you want to channel what it’s like to have high tea with the Queen.
Chinese Tea Set
The Chinese believe a tea set is as important as the tea itself. According to them, a tea set affects the taste and overall experience of the tea, so it’s crucial to consider the material used. A Chinese tea set consists of earthenware from skilled pottery, just like it was made in ancient times. It is believed to be the best material to brew tea with because clay has a unique way of maintaining the fragrance and flavor. The Chinese tea set includes a tea tray and tiny teacups that look like bowls.
Japanese Tea Set
Japan also professes its love for tea in enchanting tea ceremonies and painted tea sets. A Japanese tea set can be made from porcelain and ceramics with a handle on the side of the pot. Matcha is one of the most commonly consumed tea in Japan, so a Japanese tea set usually consists of a matcha whisk, a strainer, infuser, and a bamboo mat.
Turkish Tea Set
A Turkish tea set is not the first thing you have in mind when you think of tea. However, it is one of the most beautiful tea sets you’ll ever see. It features a dramatic teapot with a long curved spout and tulip-shaped teacups with detailing and metal accents fit for royalty. Turkish tea sets can be made from glass, stainless steel, gold, and silver, and are often used more for decoration than preparing tea because of their statuesque build.
Best Tea Sets For Afternoon Brunch Parties At Home
Elevate your afternoon brunch party with the best tea sets there are. Here are the most exquisite sets that will please your sophisticated taste.
If want to enjoy your tea most elegantly, the Fanquare Simple White English Ceramic Tea Set is the china set you want. It features 15 ceramic pieces from the sugar bowl to the spoons with gold trims for that refined touch. You can double this set as a home ornament with its decorative storage basket that houses the whole tea set safely and in style.
- One teapot
- A sugar bowl
- One milk jug
- 6 sets of teacups, saucers, and teaspoons
- 1 gold-plated storage rack
- Set dimensions: teapot (7.87 x 6.29 inches); 5 oz teacup (3.54 x 2.36 inches); saucer (4.92 inches D); storage Rack (12.99 x 7.67 x 11.81 inches)
- High-temperature and wear-resistant
- Made of pulverized and calcined ceramic material
- Has a classic elegant design
- Can pour over six cups of tea
- The storage rack is spacious
- Excellent packaging
- The ceramic spoons easily break
- Feels too fragile
Get a different perspective during your afternoon tea with the Primula Half-Moon Teapot Set. It features a unique half-moon style that lets you peek inside while your tea is brewing, giving you a new appreciation for your favorite beverage. You don’t have to worry about loose leaves in your tea because the teapot has a stainless mesh infuser that will hold the leaves in.
- Stainless steel mesh infuser
- Half-moon design glass teapot
- 4 glass mugs
- Teapot capacity and size: 40oz, 7.28 inches x 6.7 inches
- Made of borosilicate glass
- Heat-safe plastic
- Easy to clean
- Has an attractive half-moon design
- Makes five cups of tea
- Tea gets cold quick inside the pot
- The black plastic on the mug is not secured to the glass
Complete your tea set collection with the Sunddo Black Marble Tea Service Set and have a Chinese tea ceremony even just by yourself. This set combines ancient and modern aesthetics with its black ceramic body and gold marble accents that will go perfectly with your contemporary style. It also includes a wooden tray that will keep your hot teacups from slipping and damaging your favorite coffee table.
- Set of four ceramic cups
- Stainless steel mesh infuser
- Wooden tea tray
- Tea set capacity: teapot (40oz) and teacups (6.7oz)
- Tea tray size: 13.8 inches x 7 inches
- Durable and sturdy
- Has a modern marble design
- The wooden tray can double as a coaster
- Tea runs down from the teapot spout
If you’re looking for a set that will match your minimalist lifestyle, Brew To a T’s set might be the one you’re searching for. It dons a see-through all-glass build, which is the epitome of cleanliness and minimalism in tea set form. You don’t have to worry about accidentally burning your fingers or hands when you drink from teacups because not only do they have handles, but they’re double-walled too! Say goodbye to cold tea as the double-walled cups and teapot will help keep it hotter for longer.
- 4 Double-walled glass teacups
- Spill-free spout
- Stainless steel top teapot
- Teacup capacity: 4oz, teapot capacity: 28oz
- Made from borosilicate glass
- Easy to clean
- Has a minimalistic and clean design
- The double-wall makes handling the hot teacups easier
- The tea spout is not spill-free as advertised
- Too fragile and delicate
Nothing beats a classic that’s why the British Royal Series Porcelain Tea Set is part of our best tea sets list. It features a simple but always elegant bone china design that can be seen from the cup and saucers to the creamer pitcher. Make your dream garden party idea come true with this classy set that includes six teacups!
- Porcelain teapot, sugar bowl, and cream pitcher
- 6 teacups, saucers, and teaspoons
- Stainless steel strainer
- Tea set dimensions: teapot (6.5 x 7.5 inches); cup and saucer (2.8 x 6.2 inches); cream pitcher (3.6 x 4.2 inches); sugar bowl (4.5 x 3 inches)
- Made of fine porcelain
- Available in pink, white, watermelon red, and violet colors
- Thick and sturdy
- Has an elegant finish and glaze
- The tea strainer is highly effective in keeping loose leaves
- The colors are vivid but still classy
- Cup and saucers are clunky
- A bit heavy for a china set
If you have an affinity for Japanese culture, then the FHGH Ceramic Portable Travel Tea Set is the best teaware set for you. It features an authentic teapot side handle made from Black Mountain wood that does not only elevate your aesthetics but also protects you from scalding temperatures. This Japanese-inspired set can serve as the perfect decor alongside your Japanese furniture and provide you with the inner peace that always resonates with tea and Japan.
- Double-layer teapot with strainer design
- 4 ceramic teacups
- Bamboo reservoir tray
- Travel bag
- Set dimensions: teapot (17.5 x 8.5 cm); teacup (6 x 4.5 cm); bamboo tray (19.3 x 19.3 cm)
- Travel bag size: 23.5 cm (L) x 23.5 cm (W) x 10.5 cm (H)
- Made with durable ceramics and Black Mountain wood
- Suitable for traveling
- Easy to clean
- Sturdy and durable
- Has an authentic oriental design
- The bamboo tray is a bit shallow for a reservoir tray
A vintage Turkish tea set will give your home an opulent touch in an instant. One of the main reasons people get a teaware set, aside from actually consuming tea, is to use it for home decor. And this vintage Turkish set works best if you’re going for an opulent vibe.
- Vintage Turkish teapot
- 6 sets of teacups
- Turkish tea tray
- Set dimensions: teapot (8.7 x 5.1 inches); teacups (2 x 2 x 2.6 inches)
- Tray size: 9.6 inches (D)
- Made from zinc alloy
- Has shiny and vibrant colors
- Perfect to give as a gift
- Has a beautiful intricate design
- Sturdy and durable
- Way too small
Your tea may turn cold if you take too long to drink it all. Thankfully, that won’t be a problem anymore with the DUJUST Small Tea Set! It features a matching teapot warmer that will keep your drink warm for longer. This set comes complete with six teacups, saucers, and spoons.
- Marble 21-pc tea set
- Teapot warmer
- Metal display rack
- Glass tea infuser
- Stainless steel threaded filter
- Teapot capacity: 650ml
- Teacup capacity: 120ml
- Display rack dimensions: 8.1 inches x 7.7 inches x 5 inches
- Made with porcelain and glass with a German Heraeus gold glaze
- The glass teapot can be used on a stove
- The teapot warmer keeps your tea warm at all times
- Has a beautiful marble design
- You can filter leaves in two ways
- Durable and sturdy
- The tea set is smaller than expected
Kids Tea Set for Pretend Tea Parties
One of the most popular toys for children is a tea set. As kids, we all loved it when Alice joined the Mad Hatter’s tea party. Having pretend tea parties is not just for play, but can also be good practice for honing your kids’ table manners and common courtesy.
Hosting pretend tea parties are instrumental in making new friends too. Sure, your children’s stuffed animals and toys are exceptional guests, but inviting other kids will be much more fun, not only for your kids but for you too! While your kids are busy with their party, you can invite parents to real afternoon tea with your own tea set.
Below are the best kids’ tea sets for double playdates!
Get your kids the complete party package with the Cheffun Tea Party Set for Kids. It features a tin teaware set with a blue and white floral design that matches the elegance of a British royal tea service. This set includes a three-tier cake stand with a vibrant assortment of pastry desserts because afternoon tea won’t be complete without pastries and cakes!
- Party set for 4
- 3-tier cake stand
- 14 pastry desserts
- Made of non-toxic plastic and tin
- Includes a lot of accessories
- Has fun and colorful pieces
- Has a classic and elegant print
- Smaller than expected
- The cake stand is not that sturdy
A picnic by the park is the perfect setting to have teatime with the kids. The MMP Living Children’s Porcelain Play Set features a vintage porcelain tea set and dainty wicker basket whose gingham-fabric lining will take you back to picnic days with your parents. You can play pretend or actually enjoy a cup of tea with your little ones because this set works like an adult tea set but is cuter.
- 13-piece porcelain tea set with Gingham fabric-lined wicker basket
- Set dimensions: teapot (3.75 x 5.5 inches); teacup (2.5 inches in diameter); saucer (4 inches in diameter)
- Consists of non-toxic plastic and porcelain
- Can actually be used for drinking
- Well-made and high-quality
- Has a sophisticated design
- The wicker basket is very durable
- The storage basket has a lacquer odor
- Can be too delicate
One of the best-sellers in kids’ teatime sets is the Melissa & Doug 20-Piece Steep and Serve Wooden Set, and rightfully so! It features a unique all-wood tea set that shows a different side of teatime, which may not always be elegant but will always feel like home. This rustic set also encourages your children to be tea enthusiasts by showcasing various kinds of tea and their flavor profiles in their fun tea organizer.
- All-wood 20-piece set
- Toy tea caddy
- Toy cookies and biscuits
- Product dimensions: 3.6 inches x 12.1 inches x 15.6 inches
- Made of durable wood construction
- Well-made and durable
- The caddy has descriptions of different teas
- Has fun and vibrant colors
- Has a rustic design
- The paint chips off easily
- The strings on the toy teabags come undone too often
Things to Consider Before Buying a Tea Set
From our list above, you can see there are a lot of different tea sets available. So, to help you find the perfect one for you, here are some things you can take into consideration before investing in fine teaware:
According to the people who brought us tea, teaware is as important as the tea leaves. So, be mindful of the material your pot and teacup are made of because they all serve different purposes aside from their ability to hold tea. Clay teapots can absorb flavor, while china or porcelain doesn’t. When choosing your set, think about the best material for the type of tea you’re drinking too. Tea sets can come in porcelain, ceramic, tin, and more.
Design and Color
Believe it or not, design and color play a significant role in why people buy a tea set — sometimes, it’s the only reason they buy one! There are a variety of styles and designs you can choose from based on your distinct tastes. You can go for a set with your favorite color or the one with the most dramatic pattern. It’s your call!
Of course, you have to consider what the set includes before you buy it. Most only come with the usual teapot and teacups, but some include a sugar bowl, teaspoons, milk pitcher, and even a storage unit!
For tea parties, the theme is everything. Whether it’s only for a simple afternoon tea with your mother-in-law or an edgy baby shower for your friend, there’s a proper tea set for the occasion.
Keep Calm and Pinkies Up
A tea set is more than a receptacle for your favorite drink, it’s a social vessel that can bring the most interesting conversations forward or just bring people together to share a cup of home. Drinking tea is an experience in itself, and that experience can only be elevated with the best tea set.
Choose the best set from our list above, and go through life with all its bumps — pinkies up! Remember that when things get bumpy, there’s nothing a cup of tea can’t fix.