How To Make Plastic Storage Bins Look Nice
Modified: January 19, 2024
Discover simple tips to make your storage bins look stylish and organized. Transform ordinary storage bins into eye-catching decor with these easy DIY ideas!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Plastic storage bins are a practical and efficient way to keep your belongings organized and clutter-free. However, they often lack aesthetic appeal and can be an eyesore in your living space. The good news is, with a little creativity and effort, you can transform your plain plastic storage bins into stylish and attractive storage solutions.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of making your plastic storage bins look nice, from choosing the right bins to cleaning, decorating, and arranging them in a visually appealing manner. Say goodbye to unsightly bins and hello to functional and beautiful storage options!
So, let’s dive in and discover the secrets to transforming your plastic storage bins into visually pleasing elements that seamlessly blend with your home decor!
- Transform your plastic storage bins into stylish and attractive storage solutions by choosing the right bins, cleaning, decorating, and arranging them to seamlessly blend with your home decor.
- Elevate the functionality and aesthetic appeal of your plastic storage bins with creative decoration techniques, personalized labels, and thoughtful organization, creating visually pleasing and organized storage solutions.
Read more: How To Make Plastic Tablecloths Look Nice
Choosing the Right Storage Bins
When it comes to making your plastic storage bins look nice, the first step is to choose the right bins that align with your aesthetic preferences and storage needs. Here are some factors to consider:
- Size: Assess the amount of space you have available and the items you plan to store in the bins. Opt for bins that are spacious enough to accommodate your belongings without being too bulky or taking up excessive space.
- Color and Style: Consider the overall color palette and style of your living space. Choose bins that complement the existing decor. Whether you prefer vibrant colors to make a statement or neutral tones for a minimalist look, there are plenty of options available to match your style.
- Material: Plastic storage bins come in various materials, including clear plastic, opaque plastic, and woven plastic. Each material offers a different aesthetic appeal. Clear plastic bins are ideal if you want to see the contents at a glance, while opaque plastic bins can create a sleek and streamlined look. Woven plastic bins provide a more natural and textured appearance.
- Features: Consider additional features that might enhance the functionality of the bins. Look for bins with stackable designs, built-in handles, or wheels for effortless mobility.
By taking these factors into account, you can select storage bins that not only meet your organizational requirements but also blend seamlessly with the overall look of your space.
Cleaning and Preparing the Bins
Before you begin the process of transforming your plastic storage bins, it’s important to start with a clean and prepared surface. Follow these steps to ensure your bins are in the best condition for the makeover:
- Empty the Bins: Start by emptying the bins and removing any items or debris inside.
- Clean with Mild Soap: Fill a sink or tub with warm water and add a small amount of mild soap. Use a sponge or soft cloth to gently scrub the interior and exterior of the bins. Pay extra attention to any stains or marks. Rinse thoroughly with clean water and allow the bins to dry completely.
- Remove Labels and Residue: If your bins have any labels or sticky residue, use a combination of warm water and dish soap or a suitable adhesive remover to remove them. Gently scrub the affected area and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
- Sand or Prime (if necessary): If you plan on painting or adding adhesive decals to your bins, consider sanding the surface lightly to provide better adhesion. Alternatively, use a plastic primer designed for use on plastic surfaces to create a smooth and even base for the next steps.
- Protect the Area: Lay down a protective barrier or work on a surface that won’t be damaged by spills or drips. This will ensure that your work area remains clean and free from any unwanted marks or stains during the transformation process.
By following these steps, your plastic storage bins will be clean, free from any residue, and ready for the next stage of the makeover. Remember, proper cleaning and preparation are crucial to achieve the best results and ensure the longevity of the transformation.
Decorating the Bins
Now that you have clean and prepared plastic storage bins, it’s time to unleash your creativity and make them visually appealing. Here are some popular decoration techniques to transform your bins:
- Painting: One of the easiest and most effective ways to decorate your plastic storage bins is by painting them. Choose a paint color that matches your desired aesthetic and apply a thin, even coat using a high-quality acrylic paint or spray paint designed for plastic surfaces. Allow the paint to dry completely between coats, and apply multiple layers, if necessary, for a more opaque and polished look.
- Decoupage: Decoupage involves adhering decorative paper or fabric onto the surface of the plastic bins using a decoupage glue or a mixture of white glue and water. Cut out your chosen designs or patterns and apply them to the bins in a desired arrangement. Smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles with a brush or your fingers. Once the decoupage glue is dry, seal the surface with a clear varnish or a decoupage sealer for added durability.
- Washi Tape: Washi tape is a versatile and easily removable decorative tape available in various colors and patterns. Apply strips of washi tape to the surface of the bins in different directions or create geometric patterns. This quick and affordable method can instantly add a pop of color and personality to your plastic storage bins.
- Fabric Covers: Another option is to create custom fabric covers for your bins. Measure the dimensions of your bins and sew or glue fabric panels together to fit snugly around the bins. Use fabric with patterns or colors that complement your space. This method not only adds a decorative touch but also provides extra protection to the bins.
Remember to let your imagination run wild and experiment with different decoration techniques to create a truly unique and personalized look for your storage bins. The key is to have fun and let your creativity shine!
Adding Labels or Decals
Labels or decals are a practical and visually appealing way to organize your plastic storage bins while adding a touch of personalization. Here’s how you can incorporate labels or decals into your bin decoration:
- Adhesive Labels: Create or print out labels that clearly indicate the contents of each bin. You can use label-making machines, printable labels, or even handwrite them for a more personalized touch. Attach the labels to the front or top of the bins, making it easy to identify what’s inside without having to sift through each one.
- Chalkboard or Dry Erase Labels: If you prefer a more flexible labeling option, consider using chalkboard or dry erase labels. These labels can be easily updated or changed as needed, allowing you to adapt your storage organization over time. Use chalk pens or dry erase markers to write the labels directly on the labels or apply adhesive labels made specifically for chalkboard or dry erase surfaces.
- Vinyl Decals: Vinyl decals are an excellent way to add decorative elements or designs to your plastic storage bins. Choose pre-made decals or create your own using vinyl sheets and a cutting machine or craft knife. Apply the decals to the surface of the bins, following the instructions provided with the decals. Vinyl decals are durable and can withstand regular use and cleaning.
By adding labels or decals, you not only enhance the organization and functionality of your plastic storage bins, but you also infuse them with your personal style. Get creative with fonts, colors, and shapes to create visually appealing and easily identifiable labels that put the finishing touches on your bins.
To make plastic storage bins look nice, consider using adhesive vinyl or contact paper to add a decorative pattern or color. This can easily transform the appearance of the bins and make them more visually appealing.
Read more: How To Make A Shed Look Nice
Using Accessories and Organizers
In addition to decorating your plastic storage bins, utilizing accessories and organizers can further enhance their functionality and aesthetic appeal. Here are some ideas to maximize the efficiency of your bins:
- Drawer Inserts: If your plastic storage bins have drawers or compartments, consider using drawer inserts or dividers to create separate sections for different items. This will help you categorize and organize your belongings, making it easier to find what you need.
- Label Holders: Attach label holders to the front of each bin to provide a clear description of the contents. Choose label holders that can accommodate interchangeable labels to adapt to changing storage needs.
- Baskets or Bins: Place smaller baskets or bins inside the larger plastic storage bins to further compartmentalize your items. This will help to prevent smaller items from getting lost or buried beneath larger items.
- Drawer Liners: For bins with drawers, consider adding drawer liners to protect the surface and prevent items from slipping around inside. Choose liners with non-slip properties to keep your belongings secure.
- Stacking Racks or Shelves: If you have limited floor space, maximize vertical storage by using stacking racks or shelves inside your plastic storage bins. These racks or shelves will help you maximize space while keeping your items easily accessible.
- Hanging Pockets: For bins with handles or built-in hooks, attach hanging pockets or organizers on the inside or outside. These pockets can hold small items such as pens, notes, or accessories, keeping them conveniently within reach.
By incorporating these accessories and organizers into your plastic storage bins, you can optimize your storage space, prevent clutter, and create a more streamlined and organized system for your belongings.
Arranging and Displaying the Bins
Once you have decorated your plastic storage bins and organized their contents, it’s time to arrange and display them in a visually pleasing manner. Consider the following tips to showcase your bins and create an aesthetically pleasing storage space:
- Categorize: Group similar items together and store them in separate bins. This will make it easier to locate specific items and maintain an organized system.
- Color Coordination: Arrange your bins in a way that utilizes color coordination. Group bins of similar colors together or create a gradient effect by arranging bins from light to dark shades. This will add a visually appealing aspect to your storage space.
- Size Variation: Play with the sizes of your bins to create an interesting visual display. Stack larger bins at the bottom and gradually decrease the size as you move upwards. This will add depth and dimension to your storage area.
- Showcase Favorites: If you have certain items that you want to highlight or display, place them in clear plastic bins or on open shelves. This will draw attention to these items and add a personal touch to your storage space.
- Utilize Vertical Space: If your storage area allows, consider using shelving units or wall-mounted organizers to maximize vertical space. This will not only create additional storage options but also add visual interest to your display.
- Add Decorative Accents: Enhance the visual appeal of your storage area by incorporating decorative accents such as plants, artwork, or stylish containers. These accessories will elevate the overall look and create a cohesive and inviting atmosphere.
By arranging and displaying your plastic storage bins thoughtfully, you can transform your storage area into a visually pleasing and functional part of your living space. Take the time to experiment with different arrangements and find a display style that suits your personal taste and enhances the overall aesthetics of your home.
Maintenance and Cleaning Tips
To keep your plastic storage bins looking nice and functioning well, it’s important to follow proper maintenance and cleaning practices. Here are some helpful tips:
- Regular Cleaning: Set aside some time to clean your plastic storage bins on a regular basis. Empty the bins, wipe them down with a damp cloth or sponge, and thoroughly dry them to prevent moisture buildup.
- Avoid Harsh Cleaners: When cleaning your bins, avoid using harsh chemical cleaners or abrasive scrubbers, as they can damage the plastic surface. Stick to mild soap and water for gentle yet effective cleaning.
- Prevent Stains and Odors: To prevent stains and odors from setting in, ensure that items stored in the bins are clean and dry before placing them inside. If necessary, consider using zip-top bags or airtight containers for storing items that may leak or emit odors.
- Protect from Sunlight: Excessive exposure to sunlight can cause the plastic to fade or become brittle over time. If your storage area is near a window or receives direct sunlight, consider using curtains, blinds, or UV-protective window film to shield the bins from sunlight.
- Handle with Care: When handling your bins, avoid dragging them across rough surfaces or stacking heavier bins on top of fragile ones. Treat the bins gently to prevent cracks, breakage, or damage to the decorative elements.
- Monitor for Mold and Mildew: Plastic storage bins can be prone to mold and mildew growth, especially in humid environments. Keep an eye out for any signs of mold or mildew, such as discoloration or a musty odor. If mold or mildew is present, clean the bins thoroughly with a vinegar-water solution or a mild bleach solution and ensure that they are completely dry before use.
By following these maintenance and cleaning tips, you can prolong the lifespan of your plastic storage bins and ensure they continue to look nice for years to come. Regular upkeep will keep your bins in excellent condition and maintain the functionality and aesthetics of your storage system.
Transforming your plastic storage bins from plain and functional to stylish and attractive is a rewarding process that can breathe new life into your organization and storage solutions. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can make your storage bins look nice and seamlessly integrate them with your home decor.
Start by choosing the right storage bins that suit your space and storage needs. Ensure that they are clean and prepared before moving on to the fun part of decorating them. Get creative with painting, decoupage, washi tape, or fabric covers to add your personal touch and style.
Add labels or decals to help you identify and organize the contents of each bin. Explore additional accessories and organizers such as drawer inserts, label holders, or stacking racks to optimize functionality and streamline your storage system.
When arranging and displaying your bins, consider color coordination, size variation, and showcasing favorite items. Don’t forget to incorporate decorative accents to complete the look and make the storage area visually appealing.
Keep your plastic storage bins in great condition with regular cleaning, gentle handling, and protection from sunlight. Be vigilant in preventing stains, odors, and mold growth to ensure the longevity of your bins.
Remember, the key is to have fun throughout the process and let your creativity shine. With these tips and techniques, you can turn your plastic storage bins into beautiful and functional storage solutions that elevate the overall aesthetics of your living space.
Now, it’s time to put these ideas into action and enjoy the benefits of having storage bins that not only keep your belongings organized but also enhance the look and feel of your home!
Frequently Asked Questions about How To Make Plastic Storage Bins Look Nice
Was this page helpful?
At Storables.com, we guarantee accurate and reliable information. Our content, validated by Expert Board Contributors, is crafted following stringent Editorial Policies. We're committed to providing you with well-researched, expert-backed insights for all your informational needs.