How To DIY Your Own Stain Resistant Couch
Published: November 9, 2021
Modified: November 15, 2021
Protect the sofa from occassional spills and with these DIY stain-resistant couch hacks! Learn what products could be used as stain barriers for couches.
Wouldn’t it be nice to have a stain-resistant couch? With it, you won’t have to deal with frustrating spills! While that is good, not everyone can afford a stain-resistant couch. Although it’s the most convenient option, we will still choose a linen or velvet couch as their exquisite appearance are quite irresistible. The good news is we can turn these couches into stain-resistant furniture right in our homes!
How to Make a Couch Stain-Resistant?
Using a plastic cover isn’t the most ideal solution to avoid dirt and stains. Although it’s effective, the plastic would make the couch feel uncomfortable to sit on. The warmth and softness of an upholstered or leather sofa are gone when you resort to this process.
Fortunately, there are many other ways you can prevent dirtying a sofa. Apart from cleaning it regularly, you can use either a slipcover or a fabric/leather treatment. Keep on reading to know what are some of the best products to use for a DIY stain-resistant couch.
Stain-Resistant Couch Covers
The most simple yet effective way to prevent stains is by covering your couch with a slipcover. Not only are they easy to clean, but they are decorative too. They come in many different styles and patterns, so you can easily find a slipcover to match your current living room interior design.
Couches are quite expensive, and it’s not practical to purchase a new one even if you’re redecorating your living space. A quick and penniless solution? Use a slipcover if the sofa doesn’t match the new living room interior that you have in mind.
If you want a stylish slipcover, then this Sofa Furniture Protector from Great Bay Home is a great choice! It has a beautiful patchwork style that comes in many different colors. What makes it a good stain-resistant sofa slipcover is that it’s made of 100% microfiber polyester. It’s a type of synthetic fabric that is highly durable and water-resistant, so it helps prevent mold stains on sofas.
- Soft, suede-like finish
- Beautiful patchwork design and quilted texture
- Fits 96-inch long sofas
- Overall dimensions are 75 inches x 110 inches
- Reversible design
- Suede-like texture
- Doesn’t have straps to hold the slipcover in place
Worried about guests coming over, and they might ruin your newly-bought fabric sofa? You could use this Stain-Resistant Couch Cover from AUJOY to prevent the sofa from getting soiled. Sure, it covers up the entire sofa, and you won’t be able to flaunt its beauty, but at least, your sofa is protected from the occasional spills.
This couch cover is partly made from Jacquard fabric. This type of fabric is not only highly durable, but it also has an intricate woven design that adds an exquisite touch to a living room. You will also love how it comes with foam rods! Use them to prevent the couch cover from slipping.
- Exquisite Jacquard fabric
- Water-repellent slipcover
- Sofa cover measures 71 inches to 91 inches
- Available in various sizes and colors
- Made of 95% Polyester and 5% Jacquard stretchy fabric
- Fabric doesn’t pile nor fade
- Gives an old sofa a fresh, new look
- Doesn’t wrinkle because of the stretchable properties of jacquard
- It’s quite thin for a sofa cover.
One of the benefits of a sectional sofa is that it can accommodate a large group of people so it’s ideal for get-togethers and house parties. However, since a sectional sofa is quite large, it would be troublesome if one section gets stained. If you like things in order or are consistent-looking, you would have to replace the entire set if one part gets ruined!
It’s a good thing that there are now stain-resistant sectional couch covers like this one from Sofa Shield. It’s made of microfiber fabric, so it has water-repellent properties that help protect couches from spills and stains.
- Durable, tear-resistant couch cover
- Ultra-soft premium microfiber
- Reversible 2-in-1 cover
- Sofa cover measures 30 inches x 30 inches
- Available in different sizes and patterns
- Machine washable stain-resistant sofa cover
- Adjustable straps prevent the couch cover from slipping
- Change the look of the sofa with this reversible couch cover
- Not ideal for leather couches
Stain-Resistant Couch Fabric Treatments
Fabric sofas and upholstered chairs are notorious stain magnets. The fabric could get ruined with just a small drop of wine. Luckily, nowadays, many fabric sofas are made from high-tech textiles and performance fabrics to prevent the sofa from absorbing spills. However, not all fabric sofas have such stain-resistant properties (just like those that are made from linen and velvet). So, what’s the solution? Make use of these fabric treatments.
Sometimes, we are too afraid of soiling the fabric sofas that we avoid using them as much as possible. However, this defeats having a soft, comfortable sofa in the first place.
With this Fabric Protection Spray from Trinova, you’ll no longer be overly cautious of sofa stains. It is a stain guard that helps prevent liquids from quickly sitting in the fabric. And as it’s a clear stain-resistant couch spray, you don’t have to worry about noticeable marks on the fabric.
- Clear and odorless stain guard
- Safe, water-based spray
- Surface cure duration is 24 hours
- Available in two sizes: 18 fl. oz. and 128 fl. oz.
- Non-flammable stain guard
- Non-aerosol formula that is safe for kids and pets
- One spray is enough
- Requires re-application after a month
Food stains are not the only ones that could dirt your couch. Damp molds are tough stains too. Prevent mold build-up with this Couch Sanitizing Spray from Microban. It’s a multipurpose cleaner that kills bacteria and viruses, thus mold is less likely to grow on your couch. You only have to spray it once a day as it has a multi-protective layer that shields your sofa from bacteria.
- Kills 99% of bacteria
- 24-hour bacteria shield
- Citrus-scented spray
- Disinfectant spray size is 15 fl. oz.
- Prevents mold and mildew
- Removes foul odors in the living room
- Dries quickly
- It’s quite expensive.
Getting rid of coffee stains is difficult once it sits on the fabric. This Fabric Protector from E.J. Wheaton shields an upholstered sofa from water and oil. If you accidentally spilled coffee on the sofa, it won’t leave a stain right away as the fabric protector creates an invisible barrier that inhibits the sofa from absorbing liquids.
The advantage of using this stain-resistant couch spray is it only leaves a clear coating without making the fabric stiff. Your sofa will still feel soft and comfortable after application.
- Oil and water blocking properties
- Colorless fabric protector
- Fragrance-free scent
- 16 oz. bottle
- Great for people with allergies because it is fragrance-free
- Bonds with the sofa’s fibers, thus preserving the fabric’s natural softness
- Spray nozzle is difficult to use
Leather Guards for DIY Stain-Resistant Couches
If you are looking for a pet-friendly couch, you can never go wrong with leather couches. Fur doesn’t stick on treated leather, and it is one of the most durable sofa materials. However, even if it’s a high-quality leather sofa, it isn’t completely stain-proof. You still have to treat it with these leather guards to avoid discoloration.
When shopping for furniture care products, make sure to look for the Good Housekeeping Institute Seal. This is one of the trusted organizations in the world that reviews household products, so if an item has its seal, then it is surely highly effective. Fortunately, this Leather Protection Cream is among those that have the seal. It’s a set of leather protection products that work as a cleaner and a shield against stubborn stains.
- Good Housekeeping Seal Approval
- Water-based stain-resistant couch product
- Package includes 1 17 oz. bottle of leather cleaner, 1 17 oz. bottle of leather conditioner, sponge, and cloth
- Restores old, worn-out leather
- Barrier protection feature that repels water and oil
- Award-winning best leather cleaning product in 2019
- Cloth tends to spread dust
People Who Search For Stain-Resistant Couch Also Search For
Not all leather couches have a classic chocolate brown color. Some have lighter shades such as cream, yellow, and any pastel colors. If your leather sofa belongs to the latter, then it would be best to use this Stain-Repellent from Guardsman. This stain-buster is great for light-colored couches as it retains the leather’s original color. Plus, it doesn’t have a chemical smell, so it’s safe around pets and kids.
- Invisible barrier
- Special formula to retain leather
- 8.5 oz. bottle
- Available in 20-piece wipes
- Looks invisible upon application
- Has a pH-balanced formula that preserves the leather’s softness
- Not ideal for suede, nubuck, and buffed leather sofas
Are you the type of person who always keeps extra stocks of household supplies? If that’s the case, then this Stain-Resistant Couch Cream is a must-have. It’s a 1-Liter Leather Protection, plenty enough for a year of use! No longer do you have to keep buying small bottles that only last a month or two. Just like the previous leather stain guards, this one creates an invisible barrier and helps prevent stains from getting absorbed in the leather.
- Invisible, breathable barrier
- Water-based solution
- 1-liter bottle
- Weight is 2.4 pounds
- Doesn’t leave residue marks
- Prevents leather sofa from cracking and peeling
- Could also be used to remove small cracks on leather
- Not ideal for sealing leather sofas
Maintain a Clean Stain-Resistant Couch to Make it Last Longer
Aside from using slipcovers, fabric treatments, and leather guards, don’t forget to do regular cleaning. Create a weekly or monthly schedule of vacuuming, dusting, and wiping to prevent the dirt from accumulating on the couch. The same should be done to your chaise chairs or any upholstered chairs at home. Maintaining clean furniture could help extend their life and also lengthen yours.