Living Room Storage
Living Room Feature Wall Ideas: 10 Ways To Add Impact To A Wall
Modified: August 26, 2023
Looking for creative living room storage solutions? Discover 10 stylish ways to enhance your living room with a feature wall idea that adds impact and functionality.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
When it comes to adding impact to a living room wall, there’s nothing quite like a statement wallpaper. Whether it’s bold colors, intricate patterns, or unique textures, statement wallpaper can transform an ordinary wall into a focal point of the room. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate statement wallpaper into your living room:
- Full Wall Coverage: If you’re feeling adventurous, consider covering the entire wall with statement wallpaper. This can create a dramatic effect and instantly grab attention. Look for designs that align with your personal style and complement the overall theme of your living room.
- Accent Wall: If you prefer a more subtle approach, choose one wall to showcase the statement wallpaper. This technique creates a visual contrast and draws the eye towards the chosen area. It’s the perfect opportunity to experiment with vibrant colors or intricate patterns without overwhelming the entire space.
- Framed Sections: Another unique way to incorporate statement wallpaper is by framing sections of it. Use moldings or trim to create designated areas of interest on the wall, then apply the wallpaper within those frames. It adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to the room.
- Contrasting Combinations: For a visually dynamic look, consider pairing statement wallpaper with contrasting elements. This can be achieved by selecting furniture, curtains, or accessories that complement or contrast with the design and colors of the wallpaper. It creates a harmonious balance and adds depth to the space.
- Temporary Wallpaper: If you’re not ready to commit to a permanent change, there are temporary wallpaper options available. These are often peel-and-stick designs that can be easily removed without causing damage to the walls. Temporary wallpaper allows you to experiment with different styles and change the look of your living room as often as you desire.
- Textured Wallpaper: To add visual interest and dimension, opt for textured statement wallpaper. This can include designs with embossed patterns, raised surfaces, or even faux textures like brick or wood. Textured wallpaper not only adds a decorative element but also creates a tactile experience.
- Custom Designs: If you have a specific vision in mind, you can also consider custom-designed statement wallpaper. Working with a professional designer or wallpaper manufacturer, you can bring your unique ideas to life and create a one-of-a-kind wall feature that reflects your style and personality.
Statement wallpaper has the power to transform any living room, adding charm, character, and a unique touch. It’s a versatile design element that can suit any style, from contemporary to traditional. So unleash your creativity and make a statement with wallpaper in your living room!
Gallery Wall Display
Looking for a way to add both visual interest and a personal touch to your living room? Consider creating a gallery wall display. This popular design trend allows you to showcase a curated collection of artwork, photographs, and other decorative items on a single wall. Here are some tips to create an impactful gallery wall in your living room:
- Choose a Theme: Decide on a theme or cohesive concept for your gallery wall. It could be a specific color palette, a particular art style, or a collection of family photos. Having a unifying theme will help create a cohesive look and make the gallery wall visually appealing.
- Vary Sizes and Shapes: Mix different sizes and shapes of frames to add visual interest to the gallery wall. Combine large statement pieces with smaller ones to create a balanced composition. You can also experiment with unconventional frame shapes like circles and hexagons to add a unique twist.
- Consider Layout Options: There are several layout options to choose from when arranging your gallery wall. You can create a grid pattern with uniformly spaced frames, a salon-style arrangement with overlapping frames, or a more organic layout with frames placed at varying heights and angles. Play around with different layouts before settling on the final arrangement.
- Experiment with Hanging Heights: Don’t limit yourself to hanging all your frames at the same height. Vary the hanging heights to create visual movement and dimension. This can be especially effective if you have a mix of artwork and photographs in different sizes and orientations.
- Add Decorative Elements: In addition to artwork and photographs, incorporate other decorative elements into your gallery wall display. This can include items like mirrors, wall clocks, decorative plates, or even small shelves to display figurines or potted plants. These additional elements will add depth and visual interest to the arrangement.
- Include Personal Touches: Make your gallery wall display truly unique by including personal touches. This can be anything from handwritten notes or quotes framed alongside the artwork, to displaying cherished mementos or souvenirs. These personal touches will make the gallery wall feel special and reflect your individual story.
- Consider Lighting: Don’t forget about the importance of proper lighting for your gallery wall. Illuminate the artwork and frames with strategic lighting, such as wall sconces or picture lights. This will enhance the visual impact and create a focal point in the living room.
- Regularly Update: Keep your gallery wall display fresh by regularly updating the artwork and changing the arrangement. This allows you to showcase new pieces, rotate favorite artwork, or adapt the gallery wall to match the changing seasons or your evolving tastes.
A gallery wall display is a versatile and creative way to transform a blank living room wall into a captivating visual centerpiece. It provides an opportunity to express your personal style and create a curated space that reflects your interests and memories. So gather your favorite artwork, photographs, and decorative items, and start creating your own gallery wall in your living room.
Textured Wall Panels
If you’re looking to add a touch of sophistication and depth to your living room walls, textured wall panels are an excellent choice. These panels come in various styles and materials, allowing you to create a unique and visually appealing look. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate textured wall panels in your living room:
- 3D Wall Panels: One popular type of textured wall panel is the 3D panel. These panels feature intricate patterns and designs that create a three-dimensional effect. They can add a sense of depth and make your living room walls stand out. Whether you opt for geometric shapes, floral patterns, or abstract designs, 3D wall panels can create a stunning focal point in the room.
- Wooden Panels: For a natural and rustic look, consider using wooden textured wall panels. These panels bring warmth and character to your living room, providing a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Choose from various wood finishes, such as reclaimed wood, distressed wood, or sleek and polished wood panels to match your interior design style.
- Brick Panels: If you love the industrial or urban aesthetic, brick textured wall panels can be a perfect choice. These panels mimic the look and feel of exposed brick walls, without the need for actual bricks. They add a rugged and authentic touch to your living room, creating a trendy and modern vibe.
- Stone Panels: For a more elegant and luxurious look, consider using stone textured wall panels. These panels create the illusion of a stone wall, adding a touch of grandeur to your living room. Whether you prefer the look of marble, slate, or granite, stone panels can bring a timeless charm to your space.
- Leather Panels: For a unique and opulent touch, try using leather textured wall panels. These panels add a luxurious and sophisticated feel to your living room. Leather panels are available in different colors and finishes, allowing you to choose the one that best matches your decor style and creates a rich texture on the walls.
- Metallic Panels: If you want to make a bold statement, consider using metallic textured wall panels. These panels are available in various metallic finishes, such as gold, silver, or bronze, and can instantly transform your living room into a glamorous and modern space. They reflect light, adding a sense of dimension and creating a visually stunning effect.
- Fabric Panels: For a softer and more cozy look, fabric textured wall panels are a great option. These panels are made of fabric materials such as velvet, suede, or woven textiles. They add texture and warmth to your living room walls, creating a comfortable and inviting ambiance.
Textured wall panels offer a simple and effective way to elevate the look of your living room. They add depth, visual interest, and a unique touch to your walls. Whether you choose 3D panels, wooden panels, or any other type of textured wall panel, this design element will surely enhance the overall aesthetic of your living space.
Wooden Accent Wall
One of the most popular ways to add warmth and natural beauty to a living room is by incorporating a wooden accent wall. A wooden accent wall creates a focal point in the room, adding texture, depth, and a touch of rustic charm. Here are some ideas on how to create a stunning wooden accent wall in your living room:
- Reclaimed Wood: For an eco-friendly and unique look, consider using reclaimed wood for your accent wall. Reclaimed wood is sourced from old barns, factories, or other structures, and it adds a weathered and rustic character to your living room. The imperfections, knots, and patina create a sense of history and authenticity.
- Wood Planks: One of the most straightforward ways to create a wooden accent wall is by using wood planks. Choose from a variety of wood species, such as pine, cedar, or oak, to achieve the desired aesthetic. Whether you opt for horizontal or vertical installation, wood planks add a natural and timeless appeal to your living room.
- Patterned Paneling: If you’re looking for a more unique and eye-catching design, consider using patterned wooden paneling for your accent wall. This can include herringbone, chevron, or geometric patterns. This type of paneling adds visual interest and a contemporary touch to your living room.
- Pallet Wood: If you’re on a budget and seeking a DIY project, consider using pallet wood for your accent wall. Pallet wood is often readily available and can be repurposed into a beautiful wall feature. Sand the wood, stain or paint it in the desired color, and arrange the pallet planks to create a visually appealing and textured accent wall.
- Mosaic Wood Tiles: Another unique way to incorporate a wooden accent wall is by using mosaic wood tiles. These small wood pieces are assembled together to create a mosaic pattern. Mosaic wood tiles are available in different colors and wood species, allowing you to customize the look to suit your living room decor.
- Half-Wall Paneling: Instead of covering the entire wall, you can create a half-wall paneling effect with wood. This design choice adds a subtle and sophisticated touch to your living room. It can be used to define a specific area, such as a sitting area or a dining space, while still allowing other wall finishes to complement the wood.
- Focal Point Wall: If you want to make an even bigger statement, choose one wall as your focal point and cover it entirely with wooden planks or paneling. This creates a bold and dramatic feature in your living room, instantly drawing attention and adding an element of natural beauty.
A wooden accent wall is not only visually appealing but also brings warmth and character to your living room. It can be customized to match any design style, from rustic to modern. Whether you choose reclaimed wood, wood planks, or unique patterns, a wooden accent wall will add a timeless and inviting element to your living space.
Brick or Stone Feature Wall
When it comes to adding a touch of timeless elegance and rugged charm to your living room, a brick or stone feature wall is the perfect choice. A brick or stone wall instantly creates a focal point, adding texture, depth, and architectural interest to your space. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate a brick or stone feature wall in your living room:
- Exposed Brick Wall: If you have a brick wall already present in your living room, consider exposing it to highlight its natural beauty. Exposed brick walls are perfect for achieving an industrial or rustic look, adding character and a sense of history to your space. You can leave the bricks in their original state or seal them for a cleaner appearance.
- Brick Veneer: If you don’t have a brick wall, but still desire the look and feel of real bricks, brick veneer is a great option. Brick veneer consists of thin slices of real brick that are applied to existing walls. It provides the appearance of a full brick wall without the cost and weight associated with traditional bricks.
- Stone Cladding: For a more luxurious and elegant approach, consider using stone cladding to create a feature wall. Stone cladding involves attaching thin stone veneers to the wall surface, providing the look of a solid stone wall. You can choose from a variety of stone types, such as limestone, slate, or granite, to create a stunning visual impact.
- Focal Point Wall: Designate one wall in your living room as the focal point and cover it entirely with bricks or stone. This creates a bold and dramatic feature that draws attention and becomes the centerpiece of the room. The texture and natural beauty of the brick or stone will add depth and visual interest to your living space.
- Half-Wall or Accent Wall: If you want a more subtle approach, consider using bricks or stone as an accent wall or for half-wall paneling. This design choice adds texture and architectural interest to your living room while maintaining balance with other wall finishes. It creates a visually appealing contrast and focal point without overpowering the entire space.
- Fireplace Surround: An excellent way to showcase the beauty of bricks or stone is to use them as a fireplace surround. Whether it’s a traditional wood-burning fireplace or a modern electric one, a brick or stone fireplace surround adds warmth and character to your living room. It creates a cozy and inviting ambiance, perfect for relaxing evenings.
- Combining Materials: For a unique and personalized look, consider combining bricks or stone with other materials on your feature wall. Pairing bricks or stone with wood, metal, or even glass can create a contemporary and eclectic design. Experiment with different combinations to find a balance that suits your living room’s style.
A brick or stone feature wall brings a timeless and natural aesthetic to your living room. It adds a sense of character and becomes a focal point that instantly elevates the overall design of the space. Whether you opt for exposed brick, brick veneer, or stone cladding, incorporating a brick or stone feature wall will create a visually striking and inviting atmosphere in your living room.
Bold Paint Color
If you’re looking to make a statement and inject a burst of personality into your living room, using a bold paint color on your walls is a great way to accomplish that. Bold paint colors can instantly transform a space, creating a vibrant and visually striking atmosphere. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate bold paint colors in your living room:
- Accent Wall: Choose one wall in your living room to be the focal point and paint it with a bold color. This can be a vibrant shade of red, a deep blue, a sunny yellow, or any other color that catches your eye. The accent wall will become the centerpiece of the room, adding drama and a pop of color.
- All Walls: If you’re feeling adventurous, you can paint all the walls in your living room with a bold color. This creates a cohesive and impactful look. However, it’s essential to consider the size of your living room and the amount of natural light it receives since bold colors can make a small room feel cramped and dark. In that case, you may want to opt for painting only one or two walls in a bold color and keeping the others neutral.
- Contrasting Colors: Create visual interest by using contrasting colors in your living room. For example, if you have neutral-colored furniture, paint the walls with a bold color that complements or contrasts with the furniture. The contrasting colors will elevate the design and create a dynamic and energetic ambiance.
- Monochromatic Scheme: Choose a bold color and use different shades of that color in your living room. This monochromatic color scheme creates a cohesive and harmonious look. For instance, if you choose a bold shade of green, you can use lighter or darker greens for the furniture, accessories, and textiles in the room, creating a visually pleasing and sophisticated space.
- Two-Tone Walls: For a modern and unique look, consider painting your living room walls in two bold colors. You can achieve this by dividing the walls horizontally, vertically, or diagonally and using contrasting colors in each section. This technique adds a touch of creativity and adds depth to the room.
- High Gloss Finish: If you really want your bold paint color to stand out, consider using a high gloss finish. A high gloss finish reflects light and gives the walls a shiny and reflective surface. This not only intensifies the color but also adds a touch of sophistication and glamour to your living room.
- Sample Testing: Before committing to a bold paint color, it’s essential to test it out first. Paint a small section of your living room wall with the desired color and observe how it looks at different times of the day, under various lighting conditions. This will give you a better sense of how the color will appear on a larger scale.
Using a bold paint color in your living room allows you to infuse your personality and style into the space. It creates a visually captivating atmosphere and adds a unique touch to your home. So don’t be afraid to experiment with bold colors and create a living room that reflects your vibrant spirit.
Mirrors and Mirrored Panels
When it comes to enhancing the visual appeal and functionality of your living room, mirrors and mirrored panels are powerful design elements to consider. They not only reflect light and create an illusion of spaciousness, but they also add a touch of elegance and glamour to the space. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate mirrors and mirrored panels in your living room:
- Wall-Mounted Mirrors: Hang a large wall-mounted mirror in your living room to create a focal point and visually expand the space. Place it strategically to reflect natural light from windows or opposite a beautiful view. Wall-mounted mirrors not only add style and depth but also help distribute light and make the room feel more open and airy.
- Mirrored Accent Wall: If you want to make a bold statement, consider creating an accent wall using mirrored panels. Covering a wall with mirrored panels creates a stunning, glamorous effect in your living room. It adds a touch of luxury and reflects light from various angles, making the space feel larger and more radiant.
- Mirrored Furniture: Incorporate mirrored furniture pieces such as coffee tables, side tables, or console tables into your living room. Mirrored furniture adds a contemporary and sophisticated touch to the space, while also providing functionality. These reflective surfaces not only bounce light around the room but also create interesting reflections of other decor elements.
- Gallery Wall of Mirrors: Create a stunning display of mirrors by hanging multiple smaller mirrors in different shapes and sizes on one wall. Arrange them artfully to create a gallery wall effect. This not only adds visual interest but also amplifies the amount of light in the room as each mirror reflects its surroundings.
- Mirrored Backsplash: Consider installing a mirrored backsplash behind shelves or in the area above your living room fireplace. It will reflect light and create a beautiful, luminous effect. This mirrored feature adds depth and a touch of modernity to your living room, enhancing the overall aesthetic.
- Statement Mirror: Opt for a large, statement mirror with an ornate frame as a centerpiece in your living room. This adds a touch of grandeur and serves as a magnificent focal point. Place it above a fireplace or against a blank wall to create a stunning visual impact.
- Mirrored Dividers: If you have an open-concept living room, consider using mirrored room dividers to create distinct zones while maintaining an open feel. These dividers add privacy while reflecting light and creating a sense of spaciousness. Mirrored dividers are functional and stylish, offering a contemporary solution for dividing living spaces.
Mirrors and mirrored panels can transform your living room, creating an illusion of space, amplifying light, and adding a touch of sophistication. Whether you choose to hang wall-mounted mirrors, incorporate mirrored furniture, or even create an accent wall using mirrored panels, these design elements will elevate the overall look and feel of your living room.
Wall Decals or Stickers
Wall decals or stickers are creative and versatile design elements that can transform the look of your living room walls. They offer a fun and non-permanent way to add visual interest, personality, and even educational elements to your space. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate wall decals or stickers in your living room:
- Quote or Inspirational Decals: Add a touch of inspiration to your living room with quote or inspirational decals. Choose meaningful phrases or quotes that resonate with you and your family. These decals can serve as a daily reminder of your values and motivations, creating a positive and uplifting atmosphere.
- Nature and Botanical Decals: Bring the beauty of nature indoors with nature-themed wall decals. Whether it’s tree branches, floral designs, or animals, these decals add a serene and calming touch to your living room. They bring the outdoors in and create a connection to the natural world.
- Educational Decals: If you have children or enjoy learning, consider using educational wall decals in your living room. These decals can feature alphabet letters, numbers, maps, or even world landmarks. They combine decoration and education, making your living room an engaging and interactive space for both children and adults.
- Geometric Patterns: Create a modern and trendy look with geometric wall decals. These decals feature geometric shapes like triangles, hexagons, or chevron patterns, adding a contemporary and artistic flair to your living room. They bring visual interest and can be arranged in different ways to suit your design preferences.
- Kids Room Decals: If you have a designated space for kids in your living room, consider adding playful and whimsical decals. From cartoon characters to superheroes, these decals create a fun and imaginative environment for children. They can be easily applied and removed, allowing for flexibility as children’s interests change.
- Seasonal or Holiday Decals: Celebrate the seasons or holidays with seasonal or holiday-themed wall decals. Whether it’s snowflakes for winter, flowers for spring, or pumpkins for Halloween, these decals can add a festive touch to your living room décor. They bring a sense of occasion and can be easily updated according to the time of year.
- Customizable Decals: For a personalized touch, consider creating custom wall decals. This can include family names, monograms, or even photographs that are turned into decals. Customizable decals allow you to showcase your unique identity and create a living room that reflects your personal style and memories.
Wall decals or stickers offer an affordable, easy, and non-permanent way to enhance the look of your living room walls. They allow you to express your creativity, add visual interest, and create a personalized space. So explore the wide variety of options available and have fun transforming your living room with wall decals or stickers!
Shelving and Bookcases
When it comes to adding both functionality and style to your living room, shelving and bookcases are essential design elements. They not only provide practical storage solutions but also serve as decorative features that can enhance the overall look of your space. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate shelving and bookcases in your living room:
- Built-In Bookcases: If you have the space and budget, consider installing built-in bookcases in your living room. These provide a seamless and customized storage solution that can span an entire wall or be integrated into existing architectural features. Built-in bookcases add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your living space.
- Wall-Mounted Shelves: Opt for wall-mounted shelves to maximize vertical space and create a modern look. These shelves can be installed at any height and in any configuration to suit your living room’s layout and design. They provide a perfect platform for displaying books, decorative items, and even small potted plants.
- Display Collections: Use your shelving or bookcases as a showcase for your collections. Whether it’s a collection of books, vinyl records, or figurines, arranging them on the shelves creates a visually appealing display. Dedicate specific shelves to highlight your favorite items and add personal touches to your living room.
- Mix Books and Decor: Combine books with decorative items to create a visually interesting arrangement. Intersperse artwork, photo frames, vases, or sculptures among the books to add depth and variety. This creates a balanced and curated look on your shelving or bookcases.
- Categorize by Color: Organize your books by color on the shelves to create a visually striking effect. Grouping books by color creates a cohesive and artistic look, adding a vibrant splash of color to your living room. It’s a simple yet effective way to make your shelving or bookcases a focal point in the room.
- Add Lighting: Illuminate your shelving or bookcases with strategically placed lighting. This draws attention to the displayed items and adds a warm and inviting ambiance to your living room. Consider using LED strip lights, spotlights, or even battery-operated push lights to highlight specific areas or objects.
- Incorporate Floating Shelves: Floating shelves are a versatile and space-saving option for your living room. They can be installed in tight spaces or above furniture to add extra storage and display space. Floating shelves create a clean and minimalist look, allowing items to appear as if they are floating against the wall.
- Decorative Bookends: Use decorative bookends to add charm and character to your shelving or bookcases. Bookends come in a variety of styles, from antique to modern designs, and can instantly elevate the look of your living room. They not only serve a functional purpose of keeping books in place but also add a decorative element.
Shelving and bookcases offer the perfect combination of functionality and decor in your living room. They provide storage solutions while creating opportunities for display and personalization. Whether you choose built-in bookcases, wall-mounted shelves, or floating shelves, incorporating shelving and bookcases in your living room allows you to showcase your favorite items and add a touch of style to your space.
Arranging artwork in your living room is a creative way to express your personal style, add visual interest, and elevate the overall aesthetic of the space. Whether you have a collection of paintings, prints, or photographs, how you arrange and display them can make a significant impact. Here are some ideas on how to create an engaging and visually pleasing artwork arrangement in your living room:
- Gallery Wall: Create a gallery wall by arranging multiple artworks of different sizes and shapes on one wall. A gallery wall can be a focal point in your living room, showcasing your favorite pieces. Experiment with different arrangements, such as symmetrical or asymmetrical layouts, and mix contrasting frames and artwork styles for an eclectic look.
- Centerpiece Focus: Choose one large statement piece of artwork as the centerpiece of your living room. This can be a painting, a photograph, or a unique art installation. Position it on a prominent wall or above a mantel to draw attention and anchor the room’s design. Surround the centerpiece with complementary smaller artworks or decorative objects.
- Triptych or Diptych: Create a cohesive and impactful display by arranging a triptych or diptych artwork set. These consist of two or three panels that are meant to be displayed together. Hang them in sequential order or with equal spacing between each panel to create a harmonious composition. Triptychs and diptychs can add a sense of movement and narrative to your living room.
- Statement Placement: Make a bold statement by placing an artwork in an unexpected location. Instead of hanging the artwork at eye level, consider positioning it lower or higher on the wall for a unique and unconventional look. This unconventional placement can create an intriguing visual effect and add an element of surprise to your living room.
- Varying Heights and Sizes: Create visual interest by arranging artwork of varying heights and sizes. Mix larger pieces with smaller ones to create an engaging and dynamic composition. This adds depth and dimension to your living room walls while allowing each artwork to shine on its own.
- Group by Theme or Color: Arrange artwork in your living room by grouping them based on a common theme or color palette. This creates a cohesive and curated look that ties the room together. For example, you can group landscape paintings together or arrange artwork with similar color tones to create a visually pleasing display.
- Staggered Placement: Instead of lining up artwork in a straight line, stagger their placement for a more organic and casual arrangement. This creates a relaxed and effortless look while adding movement to your living room walls. Experiment with different angles and heights to achieve the desired effect.
- Layered Display: Add depth to your artwork arrangement by layering different pieces on shelves, mantels, or floating ledges. This creates a three-dimensional effect and allows you to showcase multiple artworks in one area. Mix artwork with decorative objects and plants to create a visually appealing vignette.
Arranging artwork in your living room is a personal and creative process that allows you to showcase your favorite pieces and infuse your space with your unique style. Whether you opt for a gallery wall, a centerpiece display, or a curated arrangement based on theme or color, the arrangement of your artwork adds personality and visual interest to your living room.