Living Room Storage
Living Room Ideas: 70 Smart Ways To Update Your Living Room
Modified: September 9, 2023
Discover 70 clever living room storage ideas to transform your space. Enhance functionality with innovative storage solutions for a stylish and organized living room.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to our comprehensive guide to updating your living room! The living room is often considered the heart of the home – a space where we relax, entertain guests, and spend quality time with our loved ones. It’s essential that this space is not only functional but also reflects our personal style and creates a welcoming atmosphere.
Whether you’re looking to completely revamp your living room or simply give it a refresh, we’ve got you covered with 70 smart ideas to help transform your space. From furniture updates to decor enhancements, layout changes to tech upgrades, we’ll walk you through all the possibilities to make your living room truly shine.
So, let’s dive in and discover the myriad of ways you can update your living room and turn it into a stylish and functional haven for relaxation and socializing.
One of the most impactful ways to update your living room is by refreshing your furniture. Consider these ideas to give your space a whole new look:
- Invest in a new sofa or sectional: The couch is usually the focal point of the living room. Choose a design that suits your style and provides optimal comfort. And don’t be afraid to experiment with different colors and textures to add visual interest.
- Add accent chairs: Introduce additional seating options with stylish accent chairs. These can be used to create a cozy reading nook or provide extra seating when entertaining guests. Look for chairs that complement your existing furniture while adding a touch of personality.
- Update your coffee table: Swap out your old coffee table for something fresh and modern. Consider a sleek glass design for a contemporary feel, or opt for a rustic wooden table for a more traditional look. Don’t forget to incorporate functionality, such as storage compartments or a lift-top design.
- Upgrade your TV stand: If your current TV stand feels outdated, consider upgrading to a sleeker, more modern design. Look for stands with built-in media storage to keep your living room clutter-free.
- Introduce versatile storage solutions: Instead of bulky bookshelves, consider modular storage units or wall-mounted shelves for a more streamlined look. These can provide ample space for books, decor, and even showcase your favorite collections.
- Reupholster or accessorize existing furniture: If new furniture isn’t in your budget, give your existing pieces a fresh look by reupholstering them with a new fabric or adding stylish throw pillows and blankets for a pop of color and texture.
By updating your furniture, you can instantly transform the entire look and feel of your living room. Consider your personal style, the functionality you need, and the overall aesthetic you want to achieve, and choose furniture pieces that align with these factors.
When it comes to updating your living room, color plays a vital role in setting the mood and creating a cohesive look. Consider these color updates to give your space a fresh and vibrant feel:
- Paint the walls: One of the simplest and most effective ways to update the look of your living room is by repainting the walls. Choose a color that reflects your personal taste and complements your furniture and decor. Consider using a bold accent wall to add a touch of drama or opt for a neutral color palette for a timeless and versatile look.
- Add colorful accessories: Inject pops of color into your living room through accessories such as throw pillows, rugs, curtains, and artwork. This allows you to experiment with different hues without committing to a permanent change. Choose colors that complement and enhance your existing furniture and overall color scheme.
- Reupholster furniture: If your furniture is in good condition but the color is outdated, consider reupholstering it in a fresh, new fabric. This gives you the freedom to choose any color or pattern that suits your style. You can even mix and match different fabrics for a more eclectic look.
- Bring in plants: Incorporating plants into your living room not only adds a natural touch but also brings in vibrant colors. Choose plants with colorful foliage or flowers to add lively pops of color to your space. Plus, plants have the added benefit of purifying the air and creating a calming atmosphere.
- Experiment with wallpaper: Wallpaper has made a comeback in recent years, offering a wide range of colors, patterns, and textures to choose from. Consider adding wallpaper to a feature wall or even the entire room to create a statement and infuse your living room with personality.
- Consider window treatments: Don’t underestimate the impact that curtains or blinds can have on the overall color scheme of your living room. Choose window treatments in colors that complement your furniture and wall color to create a cohesive and harmonious look.
Color updates can completely transform the look and feel of your living room. Whether you prefer bold and vibrant hues or soothing and neutral tones, incorporating color strategically can breathe new life into your space and create a visually stunning ambiance.
Lighting is a crucial element in any living room as it sets the mood, enhances the ambiance, and adds functionality. Consider these lighting updates to transform your space:
- Install statement light fixtures: Replace your old and outdated light fixtures with stylish, statement pieces that add personality to your living room. Choose designs that reflect your style, whether it’s modern, industrial, or traditional. Consider pendant lights, chandeliers, or unique floor lamps to create a focal point and elevate the overall look of the room.
- Add task lighting: Incorporate task lighting to provide focused illumination for specific activities such as reading or working on a laptop. Table lamps with adjustable heads, floor lamps with arm extensions, or wall-mounted sconces are excellent options for task lighting. Place them strategically near seating areas or workspaces to ensure optimal functionality.
- Introduce accent lighting: Accent lighting can create a warm and inviting atmosphere while highlighting specific areas or objects in your living room. Use spotlights or track lighting to showcase artwork, architectural features, or decorative elements. This adds depth and visual interest to your space.
- Utilize natural light: Make the most of natural light by keeping your windows unobstructed. Choose sheer or light-filtering curtains to allow ample sunlight to enter your living room. Maximize the views and create a bright and open feel.
- Experiment with dimmers: Install dimmer switches to have control over the intensity of your lighting. Dimmers allow you to adjust the brightness according to different activities or moods, whether it’s setting a cozy ambiance for movie nights or brightening up the room for social gatherings.
- Consider smart lighting options: Explore smart lighting solutions that enable you to control the lights with a smartphone app or voice commands. These systems allow you to adjust the color temperature, brightness, and even set pre-programmed lighting scenes to create the perfect atmosphere with ease.
By updating the lighting in your living room, you can create a more inviting and functional space. Experiment with different types of lighting fixtures, incorporate natural light, and take advantage of technology to maximize the potential of your lighting design.
Updating your flooring can completely transform the look and feel of your living room. Consider these flooring updates to give your space a fresh and stylish upgrade:
- Hardwood or laminate flooring: Hardwood floors are timeless and elegant, adding warmth and sophistication to your living room. If real hardwood is beyond your budget, laminate flooring offers a more affordable alternative that mimics the look of hardwood. Both options are durable and easy to clean, making them ideal for high-traffic areas.
- Carpeting: Carpet provides a cozy and comfortable feel underfoot, perfect for creating a warm and inviting living room. Choose a carpet in a color and texture that complements your furniture and overall design scheme. Consider plush carpets for a luxurious look or low-pile carpets for a more modern and practical option.
- Area rugs: Add style and texture to your living room by incorporating area rugs. Rugs not only protect your flooring, but they also define different areas within the room, such as the seating area or the entertainment space. Choose rugs that complement your furniture and color scheme while adding visual interest.
- Tile or stone flooring: For a sleek and modern look, consider tile or stone flooring options. Tiles come in various sizes, colors, and patterns, allowing you to create a unique and personalized design. Stone flooring, such as marble or slate, adds a touch of luxury and natural beauty to your living room.
- Vinyl or luxury vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring has come a long way in terms of design and durability. It can mimic the look of hardwood, tile, or stone at a fraction of the cost. Luxury vinyl flooring offers even more realistic textures and designs, making it a popular choice for living rooms. It’s also water-resistant and easy to maintain, making it suitable for households with children or pets.
- Bamboo or cork flooring: If you’re looking for eco-friendly options, bamboo and cork flooring are excellent choices. Bamboo is a renewable and sustainable material that adds a unique, natural vibe to your living room. Cork flooring is known for its comfort underfoot and excellent sound absorption properties.
Updating your flooring not only enhances the aesthetics of your living room but also improves its functionality. Consider your lifestyle, maintenance requirements, and the overall style you want to achieve when selecting the perfect flooring option for your space.
Updating the walls can have a dramatic impact on the overall look and feel of your living room. Consider these wall updates to add style and character to your space:
- Add a fresh coat of paint: Painting the walls is one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to update your living room. Choose a color that complements your furniture and decor while reflecting your personal style. Opt for a neutral shade for a timeless and versatile look, or go bold with an accent wall to create a focal point.
- Create an accent wall: Speaking of accent walls, consider adding interest and depth to your living room by incorporating a statement wall. Use wallpaper, textured panels, or a different paint color to create a visually striking feature. This can be behind the TV, fireplace, or any other area you want to highlight.
- Install decorative wall panels: Decorative wall panels can add texture, dimension, and visual interest to your living room. Whether you choose wood, metal, or a 3D design, these panels make a bold statement and act as eye-catching focal points.
- Hang artwork: Artwork adds personality and charm to any space. Select pieces that resonate with your style and complement the overall design of your living room. Create a gallery wall for an eclectic look or choose one large statement piece to serve as a centerpiece.
- Utilize shelving: Install shelves on your walls to not only provide functional storage but also display decorative items and personal collections. Floating shelves add a modern touch, while built-in shelves create a seamless and integrated look.
- Add wainscoting or paneling: Wainscoting or paneling can instantly elevate the elegance of your living room. These architectural details add a touch of sophistication and can be customized to suit your style, whether it’s traditional, farmhouse, or contemporary.
Updating the walls in your living room allows you to express your creativity and infuse your personal style into the space. Whether you choose to paint, add texture, display artwork, or incorporate architectural details, these updates will enhance the visual appeal and create a stunning backdrop for your furniture and decor.
Updating your windows can enhance the overall look and functionality of your living room. Consider these window updates to transform your space:
- Replace outdated window treatments: Swap out old, worn-out curtains or blinds for new ones that align with your style and the overall design of your living room. Choose curtains or blinds in colors and patterns that complement your furniture and wall color, creating a cohesive and harmonious look.
- Introduce natural light with sheer curtains: Sheer curtains allow natural light to filter into your living room while providing privacy. These lightweight and airy curtains create a soft and inviting ambiance and can be paired with heavier curtains or blinds for added versatility.
- Add window film: Window films offer privacy while allowing natural light to enter your living room. They come in various designs and patterns, allowing you to add a decorative touch to your windows. Additionally, window films can help reduce glare and UV rays, protecting your furniture and flooring from fading.
- Install window shutters: Window shutters provide a timeless and elegant aesthetic to your living room. They offer both privacy and light control, allowing you to adjust the amount of sunshine entering your space. Choose from a variety of materials, such as wood or vinyl, to match your style and maintenance preferences.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows: If your windows are old and drafty, consider investing in energy-efficient windows. These windows help regulate the temperature in your living room, keeping it cozy in the winter and cool in the summer. Additionally, energy-efficient windows can reduce your energy consumption and lower utility bills.
- Add window seating: If you have bay windows or large windows with ample space, consider adding window seating. Install a bench or built-in seating to create a cozy nook where you can relax and enjoy the view. Dress it up with cushions and throw pillows for added comfort and style.
Updating your windows not only enhances the aesthetics of your living room but also improves its functionality. Whether you choose to add new window treatments, install energy-efficient windows, or create a window seat, these updates will enhance natural light, privacy, and the overall ambiance of your space.
Having adequate storage in your living room is essential for keeping the space organized and clutter-free. Consider these storage updates to maximize the functionality of your living room:
- Invest in multifunctional furniture: Look for furniture pieces that offer built-in storage solutions. For example, choose a coffee table with hidden compartments or ottomans with removable lids that reveal storage space inside. These pieces help you keep your living room tidy while providing a place to store items like blankets, magazines, or remote controls.
- Install wall-mounted shelves: Optimize vertical space by adding wall-mounted shelves. These can be used to display decor, books, or personal collections while also acting as functional storage. Choose shelves in different sizes and heights to create visual interest and organize your belongings.
- Utilize storage baskets or bins: Place stylish storage baskets or bins in your living room to corral loose items and keep them out of sight. These can be placed on shelves, under tables, or in larger furniture pieces. Label the baskets for easy organization and a clutter-free look.
- Add a storage bench: A storage bench not only provides additional seating but also offers a convenient place to store items like shoes, blankets, or toys. Place it near the entrance of your living room or in front of a window to make the most of the space.
- Consider built-in storage: If you have the budget and space, consider incorporating built-in storage solutions into your living room. Built-in bookshelves, cabinets, or entertainment units can provide ample storage while seamlessly blending with the overall design of the room.
- Opt for floating shelves: Floating shelves are not only stylish but also create the illusion of more space. Place them near seating areas or above a desk to store books, decor, or office supplies.
Updating your storage options in the living room helps you keep the space organized and clutter-free. By investing in multifunctional furniture, utilizing wall-mounted shelves, and incorporating baskets or bins, you can make the most of the available space while adding a touch of style to your living room.
Decor plays a crucial role in creating a visually appealing and inviting living room. Consider these decor updates to elevate the look and ambiance of your space:
- Update your throw pillows and blankets: Switch out your old throw pillows and blankets for new ones that reflect the current season or your desired color palette. Use different textures, patterns, and sizes to add depth and visual interest to your seating areas.
- Incorporate statement artwork: Hang eye-catching artwork on your walls to create a focal point and add personality to your living room. Choose pieces that resonate with your personal taste and complement the overall design of the space.
- Add decorative mirrors: Mirrors not only create the illusion of a larger space but also reflect light, making your living room appear brighter. Hang a decorative mirror on a wall or place a large, ornate mirror above a fireplace for an elegant touch.
- Introduce indoor plants: Bring a touch of nature into your living room by incorporating indoor plants. Whether it’s a large potted plant, a collection of smaller plants, or a hanging plant, adding greenery can liven up your space and purify the air.
- Display personal collections: Showcase your personal collections, whether it’s vintage vinyl records, travel souvenirs, or cherished books. Arrange them on shelves or create a dedicated display area to add a personalized touch to your living room.
- Update your curtains or blinds: Swap out your current curtains or blinds for new ones that complement your living room’s color scheme and style. Consider thermal curtains for added insulation, or opt for window treatments with interesting patterns or textures.
- Experiment with textures: Incorporate various textures through rugs, cushions, curtains, and decor items. Mix and match different materials like velvet, faux fur, woven fabrics, or metallic accents to add visual interest and create a cozy atmosphere.
By updating your decor, you can infuse your living room with personality and create a space that reflects your style. From incorporating artwork and indoor plants to adding decorative mirrors and experimenting with various textures, these updates will breathe new life into your living room and make it more visually captivating.
The layout of your living room greatly influences its functionality and flow. Consider these layout updates to optimize your space and enhance the overall design:
- Rethink furniture placement: Assess your current furniture arrangement and experiment with different layouts to find the most functional and visually pleasing arrangement. Consider the natural flow of movement and ensure that furniture pieces are arranged in a way that allows for easy conversation and traffic flow.
- Create distinct zones: Divide your living room into different zones to serve various purposes. For example, create a seating area for conversations, a media area for watching TV, and a reading nook with a cozy chair and bookshelf. This allows for better organization and utilization of the space.
- Consider an open concept layout: If your living room is connected to other areas of the home, consider embracing an open concept layout. This can help create a sense of spaciousness and allow for seamless interaction between different areas, such as the dining room or kitchen.
- Maximize wall space: Install wall-mounted shelves, cabinets, or floating media units to make use of vertical space. This frees up floor space and provides additional storage or display areas for decor and electronics.
- Place furniture strategically: Position larger furniture pieces, such as the sofa or entertainment center, against the walls to create an open and spacious feel. Place smaller accent chairs or side tables strategically around the room to balance the layout.
- Consider traffic flow: Ensure that there is a clear path for movement throughout the living room. Arrange furniture in a way that allows people to move around comfortably without obstacles. This is especially important if you have a large family or frequently entertain guests.
- Utilize rugs to define spaces: Use rugs to define different zones within your living room. Place a large rug under the seating area to anchor the space and create a cozy atmosphere. Use smaller rugs to delineate specific areas, such as the reading nook or entryway.
Updating the layout of your living room can greatly enhance its functionality and aesthetics. By rethinking furniture placement, creating distinct zones, and maximizing wall space, you can create a well-organized and visually appealing living room that suits your lifestyle and design preferences.
Integrating technology into your living room can elevate its functionality, entertainment options, and overall convenience. Consider these tech updates to modernize and streamline your space:
- Upgrade your entertainment system: Invest in a high-quality TV with advanced features such as 4K resolution, smart capabilities, and streaming services. Surround sound systems and soundbars can enhance your audio experience, creating a theater-like ambiance in your living room.
- Smart home integration: Explore the world of smart home devices and integrate them into your living room. From voice-controlled speakers to smart lighting systems, you can automate various aspects of your living room. This allows you to control your entertainment, lighting, temperature, and more with a simple voice command or smartphone app.
- Wireless charging stations: Say goodbye to tangled cables and clutter by incorporating wireless charging stations into your living room. These sleek and convenient charging pads or stands can power up your devices simply by placing them on the surface. It’s a seamless and stylish way to keep your gadgets charged and ready to use.
- Smart blinds or curtains: Automate your window treatments with smart blinds or curtains. These devices can be programmed to open and close at specific times, adjust based on natural light levels, or be controlled remotely through a smartphone app or voice command. This adds convenience, energy efficiency, and privacy to your living room.
- Enhance your Wi-Fi network: Ensure that your living room has a strong and reliable Wi-Fi connection for seamless streaming, gaming, and internet browsing. Consider upgrading your router or using Wi-Fi extenders or mesh systems to eliminate dead zones and provide consistent coverage throughout the space.
- Home automation hub: Invest in a home automation hub or smart speaker that acts as the central control hub for your living room and other connected devices. This allows you to control multiple smart devices, such as lighting, thermostats, and security systems, from one centralized interface.
- Smart plugs and power strips: Make your living room devices smart by using smart plugs or power strips. These allow you to control the power supply to your electronics remotely or on a schedule. You can turn off devices that are not in use to save energy and avoid standby power consumption.
By incorporating these tech updates into your living room, you can enhance its entertainment options, convenience, and overall connectivity. Whether it’s upgrading your entertainment system, integrating smart home devices, or ensuring a strong Wi-Fi connection, these updates will add a modern and streamlined touch to your living room.
Updating your living room is an exciting endeavor that allows you to transform the space into a stylish and functional haven for relaxation and socializing. Whether you’re looking to make subtle changes or completely revamp the room, there are numerous smart ideas to consider.
By investing in furniture updates, such as a new sofa or accent chairs, you can create a fresh look and enhance comfort. Upgrading your color palette through paint, accessories, and fabrics can bring new life to your living room and set the desired mood. Light fixtures play a crucial role in illuminating the space and adding visual interest, while flooring updates can completely transform the overall aesthetic.
Updating your walls, windows, and storage options can help declutter and organize your living room, while decorative elements, such as artwork and plants, infuse personality and charm. Ensuring a well-thought-out and functional layout allows for better flow and utilization of the space.
Don’t forget the technological aspect – incorporating smart devices and integrating them into your living room can enhance entertainment options, convenience, and connectivity, making your space feel modern and streamlined.
Ultimately, the most important aspect of updating your living room is to reflect your personal style and create a space that brings you joy and comfort. Experiment with different ideas, mix and match elements, and don’t be afraid to get creative.
With these 70 smart ideas for updating your living room, you are equipped with the knowledge and inspiration to turn your space into a welcoming and stylish retreat. Remember to consider your own preferences, functionality needs, and budget constraints as you embark on your living room transformation journey.
So go ahead, get started, and let your living room become the perfect reflection of your unique taste and style.