Art Deco Decor: 10 Expert Ways To Introduce This Trend
Published: August 28, 2023
Discover 10 expert interior design ways to introduce the trending Art Deco decor into your space and elevate your home with timeless elegance.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Art Deco is a timeless interior design style that originated in the 1920s and 1930s. Characterized by bold geometric shapes, lavish ornamentation, and a glamorous aesthetic, Art Deco decor continues to captivate and inspire designers and homeowners alike. With its sleek lines, luxurious materials, and bold colors, this design style brings sophistication and elegance to any space.
In this article, we will explore 10 expert ways to introduce the Art Deco trend into your home. Whether you’re looking to revamp your entire living space or simply add a touch of Art Deco flair to a specific room, these tips and ideas will help you create a visually stunning and cohesive decor.
From the iconic color palette to the choice of furniture and accessories, we will delve into the key elements that define Art Deco decor. We will also explore the use of bold patterns, textures, lighting fixtures, wall art, flooring, and rugs to create an authentic Art Deco ambiance. Additionally, we will provide insights into incorporating Art Deco in different room settings, including the living room, bedroom, dining area, and bathroom.
Whether you’re a fan of the glitz and glamour of the Great Gatsby era or simply drawn to the timeless appeal of Art Deco, this article will guide you on how to bring this iconic design style into your home. Prepare to be inspired by the captivating elegance and glamour of Art Deco decor!
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of incorporating Art Deco decor into your home is to create a space that exudes timeless elegance, glamour, and sophistication. This design style offers a unique blend of geometric shapes, luxurious materials, and bold colors, resulting in a visually striking and cohesive interior that is both inviting and impressive.
By embracing the Art Deco trend, you can infuse your home with a sense of opulence and grandeur reminiscent of the roaring 1920s and 1930s. Every aspect of Art Deco decor is carefully thought out, from the choice of furniture and accessories to the lighting fixtures, patterns, and textures. The goal is to create a harmonious balance between striking visual elements and a comfortable living space.
Art Deco decor is not limited to a particular architectural or interior design style. It can be adapted to suit both contemporary and traditional spaces, making it a versatile choice for homeowners seeking to add a touch of glamour to their homes. Whether you have a spacious urban loft, a cozy apartment, or a traditional house, Art Deco decor can be customized to fit your unique aesthetic preferences.
Incorporating Art Deco into your home allows you to showcase your personal style and appreciation for the art and design of the past. It offers a departure from the minimalistic and understated trends of modern design, allowing you to create a space that is bold, extravagant, and full of personality.
Furthermore, Art Deco decor is not limited to specific rooms or areas of the home. It can be seamlessly integrated into your living room, bedroom, dining area, bathroom, or any other space you wish to transform. Whether you decide to fully embrace the Art Deco style in a single room or incorporate subtle touches throughout your entire home, the impact will be undeniably striking.
Ultimately, the purpose of incorporating Art Deco decor into your home is to create a space that reflects your unique taste and style. By following the expert tips and ideas provided in this article, you can infuse your home with the timeless elegance and glamour of the Art Deco era, resulting in a truly stunning and luxurious living space.
Brief History of Art Deco
The Art Deco design movement emerged in the 1920s and 1930s, reaching its peak during the interwar period. It was a response to the ornate and intricate design styles of the late 19th century, such as Art Nouveau. Art Deco embraced a more streamlined and modern aesthetic, characterized by geometric shapes, clean lines, and a focus on luxury and opulence.
The term “Art Deco” is derived from the name of the 1925 International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Industrial Arts held in Paris, where the style gained significant recognition. The exhibition showcased a wide range of art and design objects, including furniture, jewelry, textiles, and architecture, all exhibiting the distinctive Art Deco characteristics.
Art Deco drew inspiration from various art movements and cultural references, such as the geometric forms of Cubism, the bold colors of Fauvism, the exotic themes of African and ancient Egyptian art, and the technological advancements of the industrial age. This eclectic mix of influences contributed to the distinctive and unique style of Art Deco.
Art Deco quickly spread throughout Europe and the United States, becoming the dominant design style of the time. It was embraced by architects, interior designers, and artists who sought to create a modern and glamorous aesthetic that reflected the energy and excitement of the era. The style was applied to numerous forms of design, including architecture, furniture, fashion, jewelry, graphic design, and even transportation.
Art Deco architecture is characterized by bold geometric shapes, symmetrical designs, and the use of luxurious materials such as marble, chrome, and glass. Landmark buildings such as the Chrysler Building in New York City and the Palais de Tokyo in Paris are prominent examples of Art Deco architecture, showcasing the style’s grandeur and elegance.
In terms of interior design, Art Deco brought a shift towards a more glamorous and luxurious aesthetic. Rooms were designed to be elegant and extravagant, with an emphasis on opulent materials, such as velvet, lacquer, and exotic woods. Furniture featured sleek lines, geometric shapes, and intricate inlays, often adorned with rich upholstery and decorative accents.
The Art Deco era came to an end with the outbreak of World War II, as the focus shifted towards more practical and functional designs. However, its influence has endured throughout the years, inspiring subsequent design movements and remaining a popular choice for those seeking a touch of timeless elegance and glamour in their homes.
In the following sections, we will explore the key characteristics of Art Deco decor and provide expert tips on how to incorporate this iconic style into your home.
Characteristics of Art Deco Decor
Art Deco decor is characterized by a distinct set of design elements that give it a unique and recognizable aesthetic. These characteristics are what define the style and make it stand out from other design movements. Understanding these key features will help you create an authentic Art Deco ambiance in your home.
- Geometric Shapes: Art Deco embraces bold and geometric shapes, such as chevrons, sunbursts, zigzags, and stepped forms. These shapes contribute to the sleek and streamlined appearance of the decor.
- Ornamentation: While Art Deco is known for its geometric simplicity, it also incorporates lavish ornamentation. This can be seen in the intricate inlays, decorative motifs, and embellishments found in furniture, lighting fixtures, and textiles. These embellishments add a touch of luxury and grandeur to the decor.
- Luxurious Materials: Art Deco values opulence and sophistication, often utilizing luxurious materials such as marble, chrome, glass, lacquer, and exotic woods. These materials contribute to the glamorous and upscale feel of the design.
- Bold Colors: Art Deco decor is characterized by a bold and vibrant color palette. Popular color choices include rich jewel tones like emerald green, sapphire blue, and ruby red, as well as metallic accents like gold and silver. These bold colors add drama and visual impact to the space.
- Symmetry and Balance: Art Deco embraces symmetrical designs and a sense of balance. Rooms are often arranged in a balanced and orderly manner, with furniture and accessories placed in a way that creates harmony and visual equilibrium.
- Streamlined and Sleek Lines: Art Deco embraces the use of clean, straight lines and smooth curves. Furniture and architectural elements often have a streamlined and sleek appearance, contributing to the modern and sophisticated aesthetic.
- Reflection of Modernity: Art Deco was a design movement that emerged during a period of rapid technological advancements and societal change. It reflects the spirit and energy of the modern age, incorporating elements that symbolize progress, such as streamlined shapes and machine-inspired motifs.
- Glamorous and Luxurious Ambiance: Above all, Art Deco decor aims to create a glamorous and luxurious ambiance. It exudes an air of opulence, sophistication, and extravagance, allowing you to showcase your personal style and appreciation for the finer things in life.
By incorporating these key characteristics into your home, you can create an authentic Art Deco decor that captures the timeless elegance and glamour of this iconic design style.
The color palette is an essential element of Art Deco decor, as it plays a vital role in creating the distinctive and glamorous atmosphere associated with this design style. Art Deco embraces bold and vibrant colors, often inspired by precious gemstones and metallic accents. Here are some key colors to consider when incorporating Art Deco into your home:
- Jewel Tones: Art Deco decor often incorporates rich jewel tones like emerald green, sapphire blue, and ruby red. These deep and vibrant colors add a sense of drama and opulence to the space. You can use these jewel tones on walls, furniture upholstery, and accessories to create a luxurious and captivating atmosphere.
- Metallic Accents: Art Deco embraces metallic accents like gold, silver, and bronze. These metallic finishes add a touch of sophistication and glamour to the decor. Consider incorporating metallic elements through furniture legs, decorative accessories, lighting fixtures, or even wallpaper with metallic patterns to create a stunning visual impact.
- Black and White: Art Deco also utilizes a classic black and white color scheme. This combination creates a sleek and timeless look that enhances the geometric shapes and bold patterns commonly found in Art Deco decor. Use black and white in furniture, flooring, walls, and decorative objects to create a striking contrast and add a touch of elegance to your space.
- Neutral Tones: While bold colors play a prominent role in Art Deco decor, incorporating neutral tones is also key. Cream, beige, and taupe can be used as a foundation to balance the vibrant colors and provide a backdrop for the more dramatic elements in the room. Utilize neutral tones for walls, flooring, and larger furniture pieces to create a sense of harmony and balance in the space.
- Pastel Shades: Art Deco also encompasses soft pastel shades like pale pink, mint green, and baby blue. These delicate colors add a touch of elegance and femininity to the decor. They can be incorporated through upholstery, curtains, accessories, or accent walls to create a softer and more romantic atmosphere.
When selecting colors for your Art Deco decor, it’s important to consider the overall mood and atmosphere you want to create. Think about how different colors will interact with each other and the impact they will have on the space. Remember, bold colors can be used as accents to create visual interest, while neutral tones provide a balanced foundation.
By carefully selecting and combining colors, you can create a breathtaking and visually captivating Art Deco color palette that reflects the glamour and opulence of this iconic design style.
Furniture and Accessories
Furniture and accessories play a crucial role in bringing the Art Deco aesthetic to life in your home. The right pieces can add a touch of glamour, sophistication, and luxury to your space. Here are some key elements to consider when selecting furniture and accessories for your Art Deco decor:
- Sleek and Streamlined Furniture: Art Deco furniture is characterized by clean lines, geometric shapes, and a streamlined appearance. Look for pieces with bold and symmetrical designs, such as smooth curves, stepped forms, and angular edges. Opt for furniture made of luxurious materials like lacquer, chrome, glass, or exotic woods to create a sense of opulence.
- Rich Upholstery: Upholstered furniture is an important aspect of Art Deco decor. Choose furniture with plush cushions and upholstery fabric in rich and vibrant colors. Velvet, silk, and brocade are popular choices for adding texture and comfort. Use geometric patterns or bold prints to enhance the visual impact of the furniture and create a focal point in the room.
- Art Deco Lighting: Lighting fixtures are essential to achieving the desired ambiance in an Art Deco space. Look for fixtures that feature geometric shapes, metallic finishes, and frosted glass for a touch of elegance. Chandeliers, pendant lights, and wall sconces with Art Deco motifs or crystal embellishments can add a glamorous and luxurious feel to your decor.
- Mirrored and Lacquered Furniture: Mirrored finishes and lacquered furniture are common in Art Deco decor. Mirrors help to create a sense of spaciousness and reflect light, while lacquered furniture adds a glossy and high-end look. Incorporate mirrored accent tables, dressers, or decorative accessories to enhance the Art Deco aesthetic in your space.
- Distinctive Accessories: Accessories are the finishing touch that ties the room together. Look for bold and statement pieces that showcase the Art Deco style. Consider incorporating decorative objects, such as sculptures, vases, or figurines with geometric patterns or sleek lines. Display artwork featuring bold and vibrant colors or abstract designs to add visual interest and personality.
- Unique Art Deco Bar Cart: A bar cart is an iconic element of Art Deco decor. Look for a bar cart with metallic accents, geometric shapes, and a touch of glamour. Display an array of crystal decanters, cocktail shakers, and glasses to complete the look and create a stylish and elegant entertainment area.
When selecting furniture and accessories for your Art Deco decor, keep in mind the overall theme and color scheme of your space. Aim for a balanced mix of bold statement pieces and more understated elements to create a cohesive and visually appealing design.
By incorporating these furniture and accessory choices into your home, you can create an Art Deco interior that exudes elegance, sophistication, and timeless style.
Patterns and Textures
Patterns and textures play a key role in creating a visually captivating Art Deco decor. They add depth, interest, and a sense of luxurious opulence to your space. Incorporating the right patterns and textures can perfectly complement the bold colors and sleek lines commonly found in Art Deco design. Here are some ideas to infuse patterns and textures into your Art Deco decor:
- Geometric Patterns: Geometric patterns are a hallmark of Art Deco decor. Look for wallpapers, upholstery fabrics, rugs, or curtains that feature bold geometric shapes, such as chevrons, zigzags, or symmetric designs. These patterns can create a visual impact and enhance the sleek and streamlined nature of Art Deco.
- Animal Prints: Animal prints add a touch of exoticism and luxury to Art Deco interiors. Look for fabrics or rugs with leopard, zebra, or snakeskin prints. These prints can be used as statement pieces, such as an accent chair or decorative pillows to create a sense of drama and visual interest.
- Art Deco Motifs: Art Deco motifs, such as sunbursts, fan shapes, or stylized floral designs, can be used to add a touch of elegance to your decor. Incorporate these motifs through wallpaper, artwork, or decorative accessories. They will enhance the authenticity and aesthetic appeal of your Art Deco space.
- Luxe Fabrics: Texture is crucial in creating a luxurious and tactile Art Deco interior. Opt for sumptuous fabrics like velvet, silk, or brocade for upholstery, curtains, or decorative pillows. These fabrics not only add visual interest but also provide a sense of comfort and opulence.
- Mirrored Surfaces: Mirrored surfaces are not only visually appealing but also add depth and a glamorous touch to your decor. Mirrored furniture, such as accent tables or dressers, can reflect light and make the space feel more open. Incorporating mirrors with geometric frames can also enhance the Art Deco aesthetic.
- Intricate Inlays: Inlays are intricate details commonly found in Art Deco furniture and decorative objects. Look for furniture pieces with inlays made of exotic woods, mother-of-pearl, or metals. These beautiful, handcrafted details add a sense of craftsmanship and elegance to your space.
When working with patterns and textures, it is important to achieve a balance. Avoid overwhelming the space with too many patterns or textures. Instead, focus on incorporating them strategically to create focal points or to add visual interest to specific areas.
By using these patterns and textures, you can elevate your Art Deco decor to create a visually stunning interior that captures the essence of this iconic design style.
Lighting fixtures are an integral part of Art Deco decor, as they not only illuminate the space but also serve as stunning visual focal points. Art Deco lighting fixtures exude elegance, sophistication, and a touch of glamour. Here are some ideas for incorporating Art Deco lighting fixtures into your space:
- Chandeliers: Chandeliers make a bold statement in an Art Deco space. Look for chandeliers with geometric shapes, metallic finishes, and crystal or glass accents. Opt for chandeliers with clean lines and a symmetrical design to enhance the streamlined nature of Art Deco decor. Hang these fixtures in entryways, dining rooms, or living areas to create a stunning focal point.
- Pendant Lights: Pendant lights provide both functional and decorative lighting in an Art Deco space. Look for pendant lights with frosted glass shades, chrome or brass finishes, and geometric designs. Hang them in kitchens, above dining tables, or in bedrooms to add a touch of sophistication and visual interest.
- Wall Sconces: Wall sconces are a versatile lighting option that can be used to enhance the Art Deco ambiance. Look for wall sconces with sleek and angular designs, metallic finishes, and frosted glass shades. Install them in hallways, bedrooms, or as accent lighting in living areas to create a soft and warm glow that enhances the Art Deco aesthetic.
- Table Lamps: Table lamps are both functional and decorative in Art Deco decor. Look for table lamps with geometric bases, metallic finishes, and unique shades that evoke the style of the era. Place them on bedside tables, sideboards, or accent tables to add a touch of Art Deco flair to your space.
- Floor Lamps: Floor lamps provide additional lighting and serve as striking design elements in an Art Deco interior. Look for floor lamps with sleek and elongated designs, metallic finishes, and geometric patterns. Place them in corners, next to reading chairs, or behind sofas to create a warm and inviting atmosphere with a touch of Art Deco sophistication.
- Art Glass Fixtures: Art glass fixtures are a unique and artistic addition to Art Deco decor. Look for fixtures with hand-blown glass shades in vibrant colors or intricate patterns. These fixtures create a mesmerizing and artistic display of light and color, adding a touch of artistic flair to your space.
When selecting lighting fixtures for your Art Deco decor, consider the overall style and color palette of your space. Ensure that the fixtures complement the other design elements, such as furniture, accessories, and architectural features, to create a cohesive and visually stunning interior.
By incorporating these Art Deco lighting fixtures, you can enhance the ambiance, create focal points, and elevate the overall aesthetic of your space, capturing the glamour and sophistication of this iconic design style.
Wall Art and Decorative Objects
Wall art and decorative objects are essential in adding personality and visual interest to your Art Deco decor. They are the finishing touches that complete the overall look and reflect your unique style. Here are some ideas for incorporating wall art and decorative objects into your Art Deco interior:
- Abstract Art: Abstract art is a perfect fit for Art Deco decor. Look for paintings or prints with geometric shapes, bold colors, and a sense of movement. Abstract art adds a contemporary and dynamic touch to your space, while also complementing the geometric and streamlined nature of Art Deco.
- Mirrors: Mirrors are not only practical but also serve as decorative elements in Art Deco decor. Look for mirrors with geometric frames, beveled edges, or etched designs. Place these mirrors strategically to reflect light and create a sense of spaciousness. Mirrors can also enhance the glamorous and luxurious atmosphere of your Art Deco interior.
- Sculptures: Sculptures are a great way to add three-dimensionality and artistic appeal to your Art Deco space. Look for sculptures with smooth lines, geometric shapes, and luxurious materials. Place them on console tables, mantels, or pedestals to create eye-catching focal points and add a touch of sophistication to your decor.
- Decorative Clocks: Decorative clocks can serve as both functional and decorative pieces in your Art Deco interior. Look for clocks with bold and distinctive designs, metallic finishes, and geometric motifs. Place them on walls or mantels to add a touch of vintage charm and Art Deco elegance.
- Art Deco Figurines: Art Deco figurines can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your space. Look for figurines that showcase the sleek lines, geometric shapes, and glamorous fashion of the Art Deco era. Display them on shelves, accent tables, or mantels to enhance the Art Deco aesthetic and evoke a sense of nostalgia.
- Wall Sculptures: Wall sculptures are an excellent way to add texture and depth to your walls. Look for sculptures with geometric shapes, metallic finishes, or intricate patterns. These sculptures can serve as statement pieces and create a visually captivating focal point in your Art Deco interior.
When selecting wall art and decorative objects, consider the overall theme and color palette of your space. Aim for a balance between bold statement pieces and more subtle accents to create a cohesive and visually pleasing look.
By incorporating these wall art and decorative objects, you can personalize your Art Deco decor and add the perfect finishing touches to your space, elevating it to new heights of elegance and sophistication.
Flooring and Rugs
The flooring and rugs you choose can greatly influence the overall look and feel of your Art Deco interior. They provide a foundation for the rest of the decor and play a crucial role in enhancing the glamorous and sophisticated atmosphere. Here are some ideas to guide you in selecting flooring and rugs for your Art Deco space:
- Parquet Flooring: Parquet flooring is a classic choice for Art Deco interiors. The geometric patterns created by different wood tones add a sense of elegance and luxury to the space. Look for parquet flooring with angular or herringbone designs to enhance the Art Deco aesthetic.
- Marble Flooring: Marble flooring exudes opulence and sophistication, making it an excellent choice for Art Deco decor. Marble tiles with intricate patterns or contrasting colors can create a visually striking effect. Consider using marble flooring in entryways or living areas to create a grand first impression.
- Art Deco Inspired Tiles: Tiles with Art Deco inspired patterns can add a touch of vintage charm to your floors. Look for tiles with geometric designs, bold colors, or metallic accents. These tiles can be used in kitchens, bathrooms, or as accents in other areas to create a unique and visually captivating look.
- Rugs with Geometric Patterns: Rugs are an essential component of Art Deco decor, adding texture, warmth, and visual interest. Look for rugs with bold geometric patterns, such as chevrons, zigzags, or symmetrical designs. Opt for rugs in vibrant colors or with metallic accents to enhance the Art Deco theme. Place them in living areas, dining rooms, or bedrooms to create a focal point and tie the space together.
- Animal Print Rugs: Animal print rugs, such as leopard or zebra prints, can bring a touch of exoticism and luxury to your Art Deco interior. These rugs add visual interest and serve as a bold statement piece in your decor. Place them in living areas or bedrooms to create a dramatic and glamorous atmosphere.
- Contrasting Borders: Consider rugs with contrasting borders to add emphasis and definition to your space. Choose rugs with a solid color center and a contrasting border, or vice versa, to create a striking visual effect. This style of rug can help define seating areas or anchor furniture in larger spaces, adding a touch of sophistication to your Art Deco decor.
When selecting flooring and rugs, consider the overall color scheme and style of your space. Aim for a balance between bold patterns and more subtle textures to create a harmonious and visually appealing look.
By incorporating these flooring and rug choices, you can enhance the Art Deco aesthetic of your space and create a luxurious and visually captivating interior.
Incorporating Art Deco in Different Room Settings
Art Deco decor can be incorporated into various room settings, allowing you to bring a touch of glamour and elegance to every corner of your home. Whether you are revamping a living room, bedroom, dining area, or bathroom, here are some expert tips on how to infuse Art Deco elements into different room settings:
- Living Room: In the living room, focus on creating a sophisticated and inviting ambiance. Use a bold color palette with jewel tones as a foundation, and incorporate Art Deco patterns through rugs or upholstery fabrics. Choose sleek and streamlined furniture with luxurious materials like velvet or leather. Add statement lighting fixtures, such as a chandelier or pendant lights, and hang abstract artwork on the walls to enhance the visual appeal.
- Bedroom: In the bedroom, create a serene and glamorous retreat. Use a mix of neutral tones and pops of color for a balanced look. Incorporate Art Deco patterns through bedding, curtains, or accent pillows. Opt for a statement headboard with geometric shapes or mirrored finishes. Add sconces or table lamps with Art Deco designs for bedside lighting. Enhance the overall ambiance with a luxurious rug and a decorative vanity or dressing table.
- Dining Area: In the dining area, aim for an elegant and sophisticated setting. Use a combination of black and white or bold colors for a classic Art Deco look. Choose a dining table with a sleek design and luxurious materials. Add upholstered dining chairs with geometric patterns or bold colors. Incorporate a statement chandelier or pendant lights above the table. Display a bar cart with Art Deco accents to create a stylish and glamorous entertainment area.
- Bathroom: In the bathroom, create a luxurious and spa-like retreat. Use a mix of marble and mosaic tiles for the flooring and walls. Choose sleek and modern fixtures with metallic accents. Incorporate Art Deco elements through mirrors with geometric frames, sconces with frosted glass shades, or a vanity with Art Deco-inspired details. Add plush towels, a decorative glass tray, and stylish accessories to complete the Art Deco look.
Remember, when incorporating Art Deco in different room settings, it’s important to maintain a cohesive aesthetic throughout your home. Consider selecting a common color palette or incorporating similar patterns and materials in each room to create a sense of continuity.
By following these expert tips, you can transform different areas of your home into captivating Art Deco spaces that showcase elegance, glamour, and timeless style.
Incorporating Art Deco decor into your home allows you to create a space that exudes timeless elegance, glamour, and sophistication. By embracing the key characteristics of Art Deco design, such as bold geometric shapes, lavish ornamentation, and a vibrant color palette, you can transform your living space into a visually stunning and cohesive interior.
From the choice of furniture and accessories to the patterns, textures, and lighting fixtures, every element of Art Deco decor works together to create a sense of opulence and grandeur. The sleek lines, luxurious materials, and bold colors epitomize the glamour and allure of the Art Deco era.
Art Deco decor is versatile and can be adapted to suit various room settings. Whether you’re revamping your living room, bedroom, dining area, or bathroom, you can infuse these spaces with the timeless elegance and glamour of Art Deco. By incorporating the right furniture, accessories, flooring, rugs, and wall art, you can create a visually captivating interior that is both inviting and impressive.
Remember to maintain a cohesive look throughout your home by choosing a common color palette or incorporating similar patterns and materials. This will ensure a harmonious flow and create a sense of continuity.
In conclusion, Art Deco decor offers a perfect blend of bold aesthetics, luxurious materials, and a touch of nostalgia. It allows you to showcase your personal style and appreciation for the elegance and grandeur of the past. By incorporating Art Deco elements into your home, you can create a space that is not only visually stunning but also evokes a sense of timeless sophistication and charm.