10 Cozy Reading Chairs for Comfortable Binge-Reading
Modified: October 21, 2022
Finding a comfy chair is part and parcel of the reading experience. Take a look at some of the best reading chairs to curl up in.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Curling up in a cozy reading chair with a good book is one way to rest and recharge. There’s nothing quite like losing yourself in the words on a page, embracing harrowing adventures, fascinating true stories, or thought-provoking advice. Finding a comfy reading chair is part and parcel of that experience. After all, you don’t want a sore back dragging you out of your binge-reading. Let’s take a look at all the ways you can pick the best chair to enjoy your favorite page-turners.
Your Ideal Reading Chair
Everyone has a preferred literary genre, much like how everyone has a preferred type of chair. There are several comfy reading chairs to choose from, so it’s best to start by laying down a list of essentials you’d like to have in your own chair.
For instance, are you looking for a simple, traditional armchair with no extra bells and whistles, or do you want a feature-rich recliner? A rocking mechanism might be welcome, but it may prove distracting. Is a matching ottoman something that you’d like to include in your purchase? There’s also the seat height. You’ll need to look at your own height and the length of your legs to determine what’s comfortable. Starting with details and questions like these is the best way to narrow down your options.
Picking a Spot for Your Reading Chair
One particularly important factor to take into account is placement. Where you would place your reading chair has a lot of bearing on which reading chair you would choose and vice versa. The best reading chair for the bedroom might not suit the study. Likewise, if you prefer reading outdoors, then an indoor reading chair would only suffer harsh weather and come out faded and moldy. Some quick tips for this particular conundrum include:
1) When picking a place for your reading chair, be sure to measure your space and cross-check dimensions before buying. It wouldn’t do to buy your perfect chair and not have it fit in your reading nook.
2) Consider the lighting in the room. Whether you read during the day or night, your eyes will thank you if you have a nearby light source or window.
3) This last one is optional, but quite fun if you manage to pull it off. Try to place your chair within easy access of all your essentials while reading – the bookshelf where you can grab a new title, your kitchen for mid-read munchies, and the bathroom for toilet breaks. Making reading an enjoyable and convenient affair will naturally make you want to read more.
Best Indoor Reading Chairs
Now that you know what you want in a comfy reading chair and have picked a spot for it, you can easily choose the perfect fit for your needs. We’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite reading chairs below, along with their pros, cons, and specifications to help you cement your decision.
A good set to start with is the Ophelia Club Chair and Ottoman from Christopher Knight Home. This elegant reading chair comes in dark blue, wheat, and gray colors. It’s of classic make, with a straightforward but beautiful design. This reading chair will suit a casual lounge area or soft-edged living room, and its included ottoman will give a welcome place for tired feet to rest as you dig into the new pages of your book.
- Fabric is 100% polyester
- Button-tufted stitching
- Tasteful nailhead accents
- Birchwood legs with black paint finish
- Chair dimensions: 34.25 inches (W) x 33 inches (D) x 34.5 inches (H)
- Ottoman dimensions: 25.25 inches (W) x 20 inches (D) x 18 inches (H)
- Very well made
- Elegant appearance
- Easy to assemble
- Cushions are a bit stiff upon arrival
Reading is double the fun with two bookworms in the house. This Emmie Fabric Recliner Set of 2 from Christopher Knight Home caters to any pair wishing to read together. The reclining option even lets you and your partner put up your feet without two whole ottomans taking up space in your reading room. As a matching set that comes in multiple colors, these reading chairs will easily integrate into many of your spaces.
- Detailed accents
- Recliner base
- Textile upholstery
- Birchwood legs
- Each chair is 34 inches (D) x 26.75 inches (W) x 36.25 inches (H)
- Available in multiple colors
- Easy assembly
- Mechanism functions well
- Backrest is short
If you find yourself fidgeting while you read, the Mid-Century Modern Rocking Chair from Dolonm might suit you. A natural, no-face toweling fabric serves as its soft upholstery, and the pocket on its side allows for easy book storage. The non-slip material beneath the rocking legs means you won’t have to worry too much about your floors. Simply enjoy your rocking chair as you get lost in a good read.
- Solid rubberwood legs
- Quality upholstery fabric
- High-density foam cushions
- Side pocket
- 39.76 inches (H) x 27.16 inches (W) x 37 inches (D)
- Arm Height: 27.5 inches
- Seat Height: 20 inches
- High back is very comfortable
- Sturdy materials
- Non-slip material on rockers
- Assembly may prove challenging
Those looking for a brighter and more eye-catching piece for their reading room can count on the Velvet Lounge Chair with Ottoman from JOYBASE. This plush and comfortable reading chair has a modern form factor paired with bright colors, making it an excellent fit for any contemporary reading area.
- 360-degree swivel on a metal base
- Barrel-style back with button tufting
- Upholstered in velvet fabric
- Zigzag stitching
- Chair Dimensions: 31.7 inches (W) x 33.5 inches (D) x 33.8 inches (H)
- Ottoman Dimensions: 19.3 inches (W) x 16 inches (D) x 16.7 inches (H)
- Multiple color options
- Fabric is plush
- Cushions are supportive with just enough softness
- Comfortable to sit in
- Chair is a bit low
The Paisley Rocker & Recliner Chair from Baby Relax offers both a lounging and a fidget-friendly experience. The supportive pocket coils in this chair’s cushions are sure to keep you comfy. Propping up your feet and gently swaying as you sink into a story are just some of the perks of having this reading chair.
- Seat cushion with supportive pocket coils
- Rocking mechanism
- Lounge option
- Chair dimensions: 29.5 inches (D) x 37.5 inches (W) x 40.25 inches (H)
- Seat dimensions: 21 inches (W) x 21.5 inches (D) x 19.5 inches (H)
- Comfy, cushiony feel
- Rocker mechanism is smooth and quiet
- Quality materials and appearance
- Footrest is difficult to push back into place
For the older readers out there, the Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair from Mcombo is our top recommendation. Whether you’re sinking into its relaxing massage and heated seats or rising from a long reading session, this chair has you covered. It even has cup holders and USB charging ports to keep everything close at hand.
- Power lift assistance
- Massage and heating features
- Dual cup holders
- USB charging ports
- Side pocket
- Chair dimensions: 34.6 inches (W) x 30.7 inches (D) x 41 inches (H)
- Seat Dimensions: 17.7-22 inches (W) x 20.5 inches (D) x 18.5 inches (H)
- Smooth not fuzzy fabric
- Massage and heating function well
- Lift feature adequately helps sitter stand up
- Heating feature isn’t independent of the massage feature
The Electric Power Recliner Chair from CANMOV is built with comfort and convenience in mind. This reading chair has an electric reclining mechanism, so you don’t need to push and pull at levers or footrests. Its built-in USB charging ports and built-in storage let you sit back and relax with everything you need right in arm’s reach.
- Electric, button-activated reclining mechanism
- Dual cup holders & storage space in arms
- Faux leather upholstery
- Built-in USB charging ports
- Chair dimensions: 36 inches (W) x 37 inches (D) x 41 inches (H)
- Seat height: 18.1 inches
- Luxury look and feel
- Simple assembly
- Excellent quality for the price
- Reclining feature cannot be operated without being plugged in
SLEERWAY’s Swivel Floor Chair with Cushioned Stool serves as a comfy place to curl up closer to the ground. Sitting on the floor is known to encourage more active movement while at home, and this cozy reading chair is the perfect way to try it out. You can still enjoy hours of reading, and that extra effort getting up will give your body a healthy flex.
- 360-degree swivel feature
- Foldable with multiple adjustable sections in the backrest
- High-density cushions & independent spring seat
- Chair dimensions: 22.8 inches (W) x 32.3-45.3 inches (D) x 31.1-35.8 inches (H)
- Stool dimensions: 20.47 inches (L) x 16.54 inches (W) x 13.78 inches (H)
- Comfortable for reading, gaming, and binge-watching
- Small size perfect for tinier spaces
- Plush and attractive design
- Difficult to get out of
Reading Chairs for Outside the Home
You don’t have to give up your comfortable reading spot just because you’re outside your house. Many patio chairs can serve well as reading chairs. Also, if you’re on the road in an RV, what’s keeping you from installing a comfy reading chair as your passenger seat? If you look hard enough, you’re bound to find a reading chair that can conform to your lifestyle and preferences. These last two are some of our favorites from the out-of-home options:
Whether you’re at home or on the go, you’ll find that the Swiveling Recliner Chair and Ottoman with a Wrapped Wood Base serve as an excellent set from Mcombo. The reading chair is designed with a base that allows it to be installed in an RV. The set features black faux leather and a sleek wood finish that would look great in your mobile home.
- Cross-functional design
- High-quality wood base
- 360-degree swivel
- Chair reclines up to 140 degrees
- Chair Size: 29.5 inches (D) x 30.3 inches (W) x 40.6 inches (H)
- Ottoman Size: 17.3 inches (D) x 18.5 inches (W) x 15.75 inches (H)
- Sturdy build quality
- Can be installed in an RV
- Premium appearance
- Included assembly instructions are vague
When a sunny day calls you outside, you may find yourself wanting a reading chair for your patio too. The Patio Recliner Chair from Ulaxfurniture has a reclining feature that lets you put your feet up. Bask in the sun or enjoy the cool breeze of Autumn and Spring with this all-weather reading chair.
- Durable steel frame
- Premium olefin fabric upholstery
- 5-inch thick cushion
- Waterproof & weather-resistant
- Adjustable backrest & reclining feature
- Chair dimensions: 23 inches (L) x 38 inches (W) x 38.5 inches (H)
- Comes in multiple colors
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy build quality
- Comfortable cushions
- Prone to rust