Home>Office Storage>10 Keyboard Trays to Complement Your Desk
10 Keyboard Trays to Complement Your Desk
Modified: February 7, 2023
Type at a 10 with a keyboard tray and keep your health at a 10. Here are the best trays that can help you achieve your WPM and health goals too!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Keyboard tray. Yay or nay? In this article, we’ll see whether a keyboard tray has a place in your office desk or your work from home setup.
Working on a desk may not seem like a daring feat compared to jobs that require fieldwork, especially if the fieldwork is akin to a James Bond mission. Just like going on spy missions, threats are lurking around your workplace. No, we’re not talking about British villains with dart guns, but chronic pain on your wrists and hands, carpal tunnel syndrome, back pain, and so much more.
On the mission of business as usual in this pandemic, you must equip yourself with the best home office furniture. People often overlook the significance of a proper office desk or office chair in their nine to five operations. So, it’s about time to give light to the little things that provide superior ergonomic support that will benefit you in the long run and help you become more efficient. Today’s gadget in the spotlight is the keyboard tray.
What is a Keyboard Tray?
First things first, what exactly is a keyboard tray? This item is an office desk inclusion that you attach below your actual desk to put your keyboard on, sometimes together with your mouse, for better placement. Now, this might seem redundant to your desk because both have space for your keyboard and mouse, but strapping a tray to your office desk will make all the difference. If there’s anything we continue to learn in this pandemic, it’s that prevention is always better than cure.
Keep your back straight, your wrists at proper alignment, and your monitor at eye-level with a keyboard tray. You’ll experience a more comfortable working setup that will likely make you dread the corporate hustle less.
Things To Consider Before Getting a Keyboard Tray
Similar to any other purchase, you need to research and read the label first. Here are some things you should consider to find the perfect keyboard tray that will benefit your desk and your health!
Keyboard Tray Dimensions
The first thing you need to keep in mind is your desk’s dimensions. Make sure it matches the dimensions of the keyboard tray you want. You don’t want any excess material awkwardly placed under your desk as it could only cause more discomfort.
There are many ways a tray can be attached to your desk. You can either clamp or drill. These are both good options if you want a sturdy keyboard tray under your desk. It’s best to know if one or both will work for you.
A keyboard tray’s adjustability is the key to unlocking its ergonomic properties. So, it’s vital for the keyboard tray that you get to be adjustable to varying measures and accommodate the best placement for you and your different sitting or standing positions.
You should be able to modify the tilt, height, and how it slides backward, forward, and even sideways. Clearance is another thing you have to consider because the tray is sitting under your desk. You have to make sure you still have space for your legs when you sit.
Keyboard and Mouse Fit
One of the best things you get out of getting a keyboard tray is storage. With a keyboard tray, you get more free space. Therefore, your tray must fit your custom keyboard and mouse. This is where you also decide how much space you want for your tray and what you’d like to add in there.
Accessories are a big plus on your keyboard tray. Sure, the tray itself gets the job done, but if you’re one of those people who want your things to match your multitasking abilities, then accessories are something you can consider. Some keyboard trays come with a built-in mouse pad, wrist rests, and even a secret drawer.
People Who Search For Keyboard Tray Also Search For
10 Keyboard Trays to Complement Your Desk
Now that you know the things to consider before buying a keyboard tray, it’s time to buy one! We have scoured Amazon for the best there are.
If you want a keyboard tray from a brand that is tried and tested, look no further because 3M produces a one-of-a-kind keyboard partner. The 3M Easy Adjust Sit and Stand Keyboard Tray boasts the most ergonomic qualities out there. Aside from having great adjustability, this tray features wrist rests both on the keyboard area and the mouse platform. You can assure your wrists are well protected even after long hours at the desk.
- Leather wrists rest
- 3M Precise Mouse Pad
- Adjustable platform for tilt and height
- 11 x 13.5 inches x 29.25 inches
- Required surface needed is 24 inches (W) x 23.25 inches (D)
- Made of 25% recycled consumer material
- Adjustable to 10 inches to below 4 inches from the mounting surface
- Comfortable to use when standing and sitting
- Easy-to-use and modifiable lever-free tilt knob
- Sturdy and durable
- Arm can be difficult to stow below your desk
- Some parts don’t seem to fit the tray, making it tilt to one side
The ErGear Under Desk Keyboard Tray is the best tray for you if extra desk space is your priority. Not only do you have your desk space free of your mouse and keyboard, but you even have space to put another mouse or notepad. Easy installation and ergonomic alignment are benefits you will be enjoying when you add this to your cart. This keyboard tray keeps your arms at a 90-degree angle, which reduces the strain on your shoulders and wrists.
- Ergonomic keyboard tray
- Enhanced sliding system
- C-clamp mounts
- Keyboard tray dimensions: 26.3 inches x 11.8 inches
- Clamps measure 31 inches in width
- The clamps have soft pads built-in that will avoid damaging your desk.
- There’s a protector at the back that can protect your keyboard from sliding off the tray when you tuck it under your desk.
- The sliding system on the keyboard tray glides smoothly.
- Mounting the drawer is stress-free and you don’t need any extra tools.
- The tray is spacious.
- Too heavy for your desk
- Tray tends to slide in and out if without enough pressure
Officially the number one bestseller in keyboard drawers and keyboard platforms on Amazon, the Huanuo Keyboard Tray can be one of your best buys. Its adjustability is its best feature, giving you all the power to modify every angle and height. The tray can spin left and right up to 90 degrees and tilt up to six degrees and 22 degrees down.
- Adjustable black keyboard tray
- A soft cushion wrist rest
- Overall dimensions: 25 inches x 9.8 inches
- It has two sets of screws that can accommodate thick and thin desks.
- The keyboard tray is sturdy even when it’s fully stretched or extended from the desk.
- It is easy to install even though you have to use hardware.
- The tray sliding in and out via a lift-and-pull system can be confusing.
- It can be a bit stiff when you try to adjust.
- It has a hefty weight to it.
Sure, all the keyboard trays in this list will be able to provide you with ergonomic benefits, but does it come in white? For all white desk users, finally, there’s a keyboard tray that can fit your office aesthetic! The VIVO Adjustable Computer Keyboard and Mouse Platform has great adjustability. It has tilt, height, and even a 360-degree swivel. It will keep your office desk looking immaculate with its tray and type in style.
- Removable gel wrist rest
- Versatile keyboard tray
- Can come in white or black
- Surface size is 25 inches x 10 inches
- Sliding track dimensions are 14.25 inches x 6.25 inches
- Overall tray weight is 10 pounds
- Sleek modern design
- Mountable on thin desks
- Sturdy tray
- Easy assembly and installation
- The metal sliding mechanism is stiff, making it hard to adjust.
- The tray itself is heavy.
This will help you be more efficient in your eight-hour office shift. The Mount-It! Keyboard Drawer is as simple as it can be but has all the makings of a great keyboard tray. Ergonomics? Check! Height adjustability? Check! Seamless stowaway and affordability? Check and check!
- Sliding keyboard tray
- An isolated mouse platform
- Universal keyboard fit lock
- Tray dimensions not including the mount: 21 inches (W)
- Mouse platform size is 8 inches x 7.5 inches
- Easy to assemble and install
- Sturdy and durable enough
- Fits almost all desks even smaller ones
- Mouse platform can be placed on both sides
- Has a ball-bearing track
- Wrist rest on the tray is made of hard plastic
- Little too deep to be ergonomic
The Fenge Push-Pull Keyboard Drawer is the tray for you if you don’t have time to drill holes in your desk but want a sturdy keyboard drawer to use as soon as possible. This tray dons easy to clamp on desk attachments that you don’t have to stress over.
- Phone and pen holder
- Ergonomic beveled edge
- Non-skid C-clamps
- Overall tray size is 29.8 inches x 9.8 inches
- Made from environmentally friendly material with a melamine veneer finish
- Easy to attach to the desk with the C-clamps
- Very spacious tray
- Extra storage with the pen holder
- Smooth gliding system
- The underside of the tray can be sharp and might cut your knee.
- The pen holder doesn’t have a lid.
- It may sometimes glide in and out even when not in use.
There’s a lot of different keyboard trays available out there. However, the HUANUO Large Keyboard Tray has one additional feature in store for you — more storage! This tray features a pull-out drawer where you can put your most-used office supplies and keep them in one easy-access space.
- A pull-out drawer for extra storage
- Metal clamp-on desk attachments
- Ergonomic surface design
- Pull-out drawer dimensions: 20 inches x 12 inches
- Tray dimensions: 27.2 inches (32.28 inches including the clamps) x 12.2 inches
- Made of frosted non-slip material
- The pull-out drawer can fit a lot of things.
- The tray has a lot of room for your keyboard and mouse accessories.
- The clamps make it easy to install and assemble.
- The height of the tray is a bit too low and you can’t adjust it.
- It’s made of plastic, which makes it somewhat flimsy.
- The gliding tracks are that not smooth, both in the keyboard platform and the pull-out drawer.
Get the most out of your desk with the HOMBYS Large Keyboard Tray. This tray features an extra-large platform that can accommodate more than your usual keyboard and mouse combo. It is easy to attach and effortlessly stretches up to 25 cm from your monitor.
- Easy clamp-on mounting system
- Extra-large surface platform
- Overall platform size is 25.59 inches (W) x 9.84 inches (D)
- Has the right height
- Provides a lot of legroom
- Easy to install
- Glides in and out easily
- Not that sturdy
All keyboard users are different, so it pays to have a keyboard tray that can adjust to your comfort profile. The Fellowes Office Suites Underdesk Keyboard Drawer is one of the best under the desk trays you can get that can be modified into three different height settings. This features a mouse platform that you can place on either side of the tray, so there’s no bias between lefties and righties.
- 3 height adjustments
- Separate mouse platform
- Ergonomic platform design
- Made of 100% recycled materials
- Can come in silver and black
- Overall dimensions are 11.63 inches x 22 inches x 2.31 inches
- Easy installation
- Sturdy despite being made of mostly plastic
- Can fit your preferred platform height
- Mouse platform has a lot of space
- It is quite small and wouldn’t fit most keyboards.
- The separate mouse platform can be a bit shaky at times.
If you want a keyboard tray that can handle a bit more weight than just a keyboard and mouse, the Vergo Under Desk Keyboard Tray is the best choice. It might seem flimsy at first, but once assembled, the foundation for the drawer is quite sturdy and can stand the test of time.
- Modifiable C-clamps
- Ergonomic design
- Overall size: 27 inches x 11 inches
- Well-made and sturdy
- Clamps are convenient and easy to use
- Tray slides in and out seamlessly
- Tray tends to slide in
- Assembly can be challenging
The Pros Of Having a Keyboard Tray
- Keyboard trays assist in viewing monitors and screens at the proper height, keeping your neck and back straight.
- It gives you more room on your desk for other tasks.
- A keyboard drawer protects you from wrist pain and injury. You don’t have to worry about future chronic pain from improper alignment.
- Having a keyboard tray can ultimately make you work efficiently and increase productivity.
The Cons Of Having a Keyboard Tray
- Equipping your desk with a keyboard drawer can be uncomfortable to some. If you’re not used to having something under your desk while you sit, you might find a keyboard tray obstructive.
- A tray can be hazardous. Most keyboard trays come with a gliding track that slides in and out by itself, which can cause accidental bumps and bruises when not in use.
- A keyboard tray might be an unnecessary investment. If you’re not always at your desk typing away on your keyboard, you might not be able to appreciate the ergonomic benefits of a keyboard tray as much. Hence, it could be a waste of money.
Keyboard Tray Yay!
Having a keyboard tray is definitely a yay for us, but whatever you decide, we hope you find this article helpful. A tray may not be something you prioritize now, but it sure does pay to provide yourself with the best equipment. This is most significant if you’re on it eight hours a day, five days a week for what seems like 365 days a year. As an average joe, basic ergonomics is the last thing you’re thinking about when you clock in and out. That needs to change now! The little things always make ripple effects, no matter how small. An item like this might seem like a small step in achieving proper alignment, but it’s a giant leap for your overall health and well-being.