11 Butler’s Pantry That Doubles As Compact Kitchens
Published: September 17, 2021
Written by: Cielo Bayobay
Decorate your butler's pantry with these stylish and functional furniture pieces. Discover some of the best options today!
Even though we have a large kitchen space, our cabinets and shelves still end up getting cluttered after quite some time. Sometimes, we even have to fill our countertops with snacks and other food items because there’s no more cabinet and shelving space. One way you can solve this kitchen problem is to add a butler pantry. In this article, find out how you can benefit from having a butler’s pantry, and get to know some ideas on how to furnish this type of pantry.
What is a Butler’s Pantry?
When we hear the word “butler”, the first thing that comes into our mind is a man wearing a morning suit and holding an expensive set of silverware. Back in the day, they spent most of their time in a small room adjacent to the kitchen to store and clean precious silverware in the house. This is how the butler’s pantry originated. Today, this type of pantry has many uses. It’s like a compact kitchen that serves as an extra storage space for utensils and other tableware. Apart from this, it can also be turned into a small coffee bar or a wine cellar.
Even though the butler’s pantry was mainly popular during the 18th century, we can still see some modern houses have this type of pantry. A modern butler’s pantry is usually found in houses with an open kitchen design to serve as a separate food preparation area. Others use it as a transitional space to separate the kitchen from the dining room.
What’s the Difference Between a Butler’s Pantry and a Walk-in Pantry?
Most people confuse a butler’s pantry with a walk-in pantry because they both function as separate rooms to store snacks and other kitchen appliances. You can tell the difference between the two by looking at how much space they occupy.
A butler’s pantry is typically bigger because apart from having storage cabinets and shelves, it also has built-in electrical outlets for the kitchen appliances to be readily used. Meanwhile, the walk-in pantry only has open shelves and drawers so it’s quite smaller than a butler’s pantry. Moreover, this type of pantry is usually a small room adjacent to the kitchen. It’s not a transitional space, unlike butler’s pantries.
Pros and Cons of a Butlers Pantry
Indeed, a butler’s pantry can help you clear out the space in your kitchen, but not every home should have it. It could take up a lot of space and renovation costs are quite expensive. If you want to know whether a butler’s pantry is ideal for your home, you have to know what are the pros and cons of having one. Here are some of them:
- Keeps the main kitchen clutter-free
- Dedicated space for meal preparations
- Extra storage space for snacks and kitchen appliances
- A temporary place to keep your dirty dishes during house parties
- Requires a large kitchen space
- Renovation costs can be quite expensive
If having a kitchen with a butler’s pantry works for you and you’ve decided to add one, then it’s now time to shop for furniture. So, what is usually in a butler’s pantry? Most often, you’ll see a butler’s pantry with a countertop sink, but you don’t necessarily have to follow this. You have the freedom to customize it according to your kitchen pantry needs.
To give you an idea of what you should put in your butler’s pantry, here’s a list of functional shelves and cabinets that can help keep your pantry clutter-free. Most of them have a compact design so they can help save pantry space.
You don’t have to renovate your butler’s pantry if you want it to look spacious. You can just decorate it with white furniture. One of the advantages of this kind of furniture is that it helps brighten up a room so it would be great to use in a kitchen with limited natural light. If you have a small and dark butler’s pantry, consider adding this Buffet and Hutch from American Furniture Classics. It has a pure white finish and the knobs and pulls have an exquisite silver polish. This furniture adds style and functionality to your butler’s pantry.
- Classic pure white finish
- Durable tempered glass doors
- Showcase hutch
- Made of MDF board
- Overall dimensions are 70.25 inches x 29 inches x 15.75 inches
- The metal drawers have a slide design
- The showcase hutch provides extra storage space
- Has a counter space for storing kitchen appliances
- It’s quite difficult to assemble
You wouldn’t want your guests to see your messy kitchen every time you host a house party. If you are not confident you can keep a clean kitchen while preparing the meals, then just use the butler’s pantry. Though, it would be better if you have this Buffet White Server in your butler’s pantry because it has a wooden countertop that you can use for meal preparations. Furthermore, this butler’s pantry has a hutch with glass-paneled cabinets and open shelves. You can keep some of your food stocks here for easy access.
- Adjustable shelves
- Natural hardwood countertop
- Hutch with plexiglass cabinet doors
- Made of solid wood and veneers
- Overall dimensions are 44 inches x 17 inches x 72.25 inches
- Plexiglass has break-resistant properties
- Provides extra space for meal preparations
- Plenty of storage space for your extra food stocks
- Drawers aren’t sliding smoothly
Open shelves are great because it’s easier to grab some items as they are readily displayed. But the problem with open shelving is that it can get easily cluttered. Hide the mess in your butler’s pantry with this Traditional Freestanding Cabinet from HOMCOM. It has cabinets and drawers that you can use to store your groceries and kitchen appliances. Aside from that, each cabinet has adjustable shelves inside. It’s now easier to organize those groceries and other kitchen knick-knacks with these adjustable shelves.
- Adjustable shelves
- Reinforced backboard
- Elegant colonial cabinet design
- Made from P2 grade engineered wood
- Overall dimensions are 30 inches x 15.75 inches x 72 inches
- Organizing is easier, thanks to the adjustable shelves
- Spacious drawers for storing utensils and other small kitchen knick-knacks
- Has wall attachments and a reinforced backboard to keep the cabinet stable
- No adjustable feet that could help level the cabinet
If a white kitchen with a butler’s pantry is too plain and boring for you, you can spice things up by decorating it with dark cabinets. Don’t worry, your pantry will not appear small and claustrophobic as long as there are white painted walls and recessed lights. If you like this type of butler pantry design for your kitchen, consider buying this Kitchen Cabinet from HOMCOM. It has a sleek, black finish so it’s great for modern chic kitchens.
Apart from its aesthetic design, it’s also functional because of its wooden open countertop. Either use this as storage space for small kitchen appliances or a meal prep area. If it’s the latter, consider adding these cutting board holders to make meal preparations more convenient.
- Cupboard cabinet
- Butler’s pantry with a hutch
- Windowpane cabinet doors
- Made of MDF boards
- Overall dimensions are 31.5 inches x 14.5 inches x 72 inches
- Has a pad on the bottom that helps prevent floor scratches
- Glass-paneled cabinet doors make it easier to see what’s inside
- Versatile storage cabinet with 1 cupboard, 1 countertop shelf, and 2 cabinets
- It’s also quite difficult to assemble
If you already have built-in shelves in your butler’s pantry, you should have this Buffet Storage Cabinet from Giantex. It provides additional storage space because it has glass-door cabinets, drawers, and a double-door cabinet. Plus, each cabinet has adjustable shelves inside! You can use this butler’s pantry furniture to keep your expensive china, silverware, and cutleries safe.
- Tempered glass doors
- Waterproof surface
- Adjustable shelves
- Made of MDF material and tempered glass
- This product has a weight capacity of 100 pounds
- Overall dimensions are 42 inches x 12 inches x 32 inches
- Offers a large storage space for your butler’s pantry
- Has magnetic doors to prevent the items inside from dropping
- Get to display your expensive, thanks to the tempered glass doors
- It’s quite smaller compared to other buffet storage cabinets
You don’t have to decorate your butler’s pantry with lavish furniture to make it look stylish and functional. Sometimes, a simple storage cabinet is enough. If simplicity and functionality are your priorities, consider buying this Utility Storage Cabinet from SystemBuild. It features five levels of shelves in which three of these shelves are adjustable. You will also love how it has classic paneled cabinet doors.
- Water-resistant finish
- Adjustable shelves
- Adjustable feet
- Made of engineered vinyl wood
- Overall dimensions are 75 inches x 24 inches x 15 inches
- Comes with a wall anchor to prevent the cabinet from tipping
- Easy to clean because the cabinet is made of a vinyl material
- If you have uneven floors, you can easily adjust the feet to make the cabinet stable
- Requires two people when assembling
A farmhouse pantry never goes out of style because of its warm and inviting look. To achieve such a design, you would have to furnish your butler’s pantry with natural furniture. This Shelving Cabinet from Kate and Laurel is a great choice if a farmhouse-style pantry is what you want. It’s a wooden wall storage cabinet with an exquisite rustic white-washed finish. Aesthetics aside, this product is also functional because of its sliding barn door and shelves.
- Exquisite rustic finish
- Sliding barn door
- Made of wood and rustic iron
- Available in 2 designs: 1-door and 2-door
- Overall dimensions are 21.75 inches x 8 inches x 27.75 inches
- Ideal for pantries with tight spaces
- Durable metal hardware is used to connect the wooden parts
- Adds style and beauty to your kitchen pantry, thanks to its rustic finish
- The sliding door is quite flimsy
You can easily achieve an uncluttered open butler’s pantry by adding shelving units. However, if you don’t like the idea of installing floating shelves because they leave unsightly holes on your wall, you can just invest in a storage shelf rack. This is a much more convenient option if you plan to rearrange your pantry sometime in the future. You can just lift and move the rack every time you want to do a pantry revamp.
- Adjustable feet
- Durable top panel
- Strong “X” metal frame
- Made of P2 MDF vintage board and metal frame
- Overall dimensions are 35.5 inches x 15.75 inches x 52 inches
- The small rack on top is designed for keeping spices
- The top panel is strong enough to hold kitchen appliances
- Metal hooks can be used to hang ladles, serving spoons, and other cooking tools
- The top panel can only accommodate one small kitchen appliance
People Who Search For Butlers Pantry Also Search For
Here’s another portable butler’s pantry furniture on our list! This Kitchen Storage Shelf from Bestier has wheels so it’s easy to move around. If you want to ensure it stays in place, you only have to activate the lock on the wheels. Another remarkable feature of this freestanding storage shelf is that it has a slider shelf in the middle. It’s now going to be a lot easier to retrieve bulky and heavy kitchen appliances with this slider shelf.
- 4-tier shelves
- Movable wheels
- Pull-out slider shelf
- Made of premium P2 wood oak and alloy steel
- Overall dimensions are 23.62 inches x 17.13 inches x 48.62 inches
- Comes with extra side hooks for hanging various cooking tools
- Easy to clean because it has a waterproof and smooth surface
- The metal frame is strong enough to hold multiple kitchen tools and accessories
- It’s quite difficult to roll around
One of the best things about having a butler’s pantry is that you get to have extra space for a small wine storage corner. This would come in handy if you plan to save your luxury wines for special occasions. If there isn’t much space in your pantry and you only have a small collection of wine bottles, consider using this Wall Mountable Wine Rack from GWH. It’s a three-tier shelf with stem glass holders that is ideal for storing expensive wine bottles and glasses. Proudly display your wine collection with this wine rack!
- Vintage, distressed look
- Stem glass holders
- Made of wood and metal iron
- Each board is 0.78 inches thick
- Overall dimensions are 31.5 inches x 21.2 inches x .87 inches
- Ideal for a rustic, industrial style pantry
- Compact, space-saving butler’s pantry shelving unit
- You need to replace the hardware with a more durable one
If you have a small butler’s pantry, you might find this kitchen island useful. It’s a piece of multipurpose kitchen furniture because you can either use it as a storage cabinet or a meal prep table. The advantage of using this butler’s pantry furniture is you can easily tuck it away at a corner after using it. Just like the Kitchen Storage Shelf from Bestier, this kitchen island also has movable wheels so you can easily move it around.
- Wooden top
- Caster wheels
- Towel bar and spice rack
- Made of solid wood
- Available in 2 colors: Natural Wood and White
- Overall dimensions are 32 inches x 19 inches x 35.5 inches
- Spacious butler’s pantry cabinet
- All-in-one meal prep kitchen island
- Has a compact design that helps save space
- Assembling might be difficult
It’s difficult to cook and prepare meals in a cramped kitchen. We have little to no room to move around so we tend to knock things over. Free up some kitchen space by adding a butler’s pantry. Not only can you use it to store your extra food stocks, but you can also turn it into a mini food preparation area.
However, a butler’s pantry can also get easily cluttered without the right furniture. If you want to keep an organized butler’s pantry, consider choosing one of our recommended furniture items above. Also, don’t forget to invest in these kitchen storage containers! They help keep your pantry cabinets and shelves clean and clutter-free.