20 Best Walk In Pantry Ideas For More Space
Modified: October 24, 2022
Clutter easily occurs in your walk-in pantry as many of your kitchen essentials are stored here. Keep it tidy by following these organization ideas!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
It’s frustrating every time you have to search every shelf just to find a specific ingredient for a simple meal. If you want to make meal preparations more efficient, you have to make sure your kitchen stays organized. Keep it tidy by adding a walk-in pantry in your kitchen.
A walk-in pantry does not only provide extra storage for your groceries but also helps clear out the clutter in the kitchen. You can use it to store soda cans, bags of chips, spices, and even those pans and kitchen electronics that you only use occasionally. With more kitchen space, you can use the countertop solely for preparing meals. Now, there’s more room to move around, and this makes cooking a lot easier.
Although there are different types of kitchen pantries (ex. a freestanding pantry, a pull-out pantry, and a cabinet pantry), it is still better to choose a walk-in pantry if you have a large kitchen size. Typically, walk-in pantry dimensions are 5 feet wide by 5 feet deep, so this is only a small, separate room adjacent to the kitchen. It could also be located at the corner of a kitchen, where it’s more accessible. One of its advantages is that it’s easy to take inventory since the items are neatly arranged on the shelves.
Pros and Cons of Having a Walk-In Pantry
Indeed, having a walk-in pantry keeps your kitchen organized, but it does not mean every home should have it. Certain criteria must be met, and this includes having a spacious kitchen. If the kitchen is too small and you decide to build a walk-in pantry, then your kitchen will end up looking all cramped and crowded. To know whether you should renovate your kitchen to add a walk-in pantry, make sure to read and understand these pros and cons:
- It offers more storage space
- There’s more room for customization
- Helps free up counter space
- Taking inventory is easy
- It takes time to gather the ingredients
- Eats up a huge chunk of kitchen space
- Requires more maintenance
- The items tend to clutter
If the pros outweigh the cons and you have now decided to add a walk-in pantry, you have to make sure everything is easily accessible and all the items should be cataloged. Remember that walk-in pantries tend to clutter because many of the dry goods and kitchen accessories are stored here. To prevent a chaotic pantry, follow these walk-in pantry ideas:
Wall-Mounted Walk-In Pantry Organizers
Save valuable floor space with these wall-mounted shelves and racks. These pantry organizer systems are made of heavy-duty materials that prevent items from falling over. Rest assured that your items stay intact and undamaged. Plus, they add style to your pantry, thanks to their charming, sophisticated design
You still have to hire a designer or renovation contractor if you want your pantry to have modular wooden shelves. But with the CloseMaid ShelfTrack Organizer, there is no need to hire an expert to get modular shelves. You can do the installation by yourself, and all you need is a tape measure, level, screwdriver, and drill. Moreover, the shelves are adjustable so you get to customize them according to your pantry needs.
- Durable steel frame
- Adjustable shelves
- Close mesh shelving
- Made of vinyl-coated steel
- Available in two sizes: 4-foot x 12-inch and 4-foot x 16-inch
- White finish
- The close mesh prevents the items from tipping
- Versatile metal shelves
- Installation takes a few minutes
- Quite expensive for a metal modular shelf
Here’s another durable wall-mounted pantry organizer system on our list. The Farmhouse Spice Rack Organizer is made of carbon steel so it is strong enough to hold the weight of several glass spice bottles. Besides, carbon steel is known for its superior strength and corrosion-resistant properties. Aside from its durable steel frame, this rack organizer comes with small hooks. Use the hooks to hang some kitchen towels, serving spoons, and other kitchen accessories.
- Carbon steel racks
- Removable racks
- Extra hooks
- Set includes 2 spice racks, 2 installation kits, and 5 small hooks
- Each spice rack measures 15.7 inches (L) x 4.7 inches (W) x 2.2 inches (H)
- Exquisite farmhouse design
- Steel frames that do not easily bend or deform
- The racks are removable so they are easy to clean
- Limited storage space
As much as possible, we want to display our items where we can easily see them so we try to avoid storing items at the back of our shelves. If there’s no more space to put the items in front, then add more shelving space with these floating shelves! It features unique paulownia wooden boards that are lightweight and durable. Also, it has metal brackets that have two installation modes: the metal brackets can either face upwards or downwards.
- Exquisite wooden boards
- Space-saving floating shelves
- 2-way assembly metal brackets
- Set includes 4 shelves
- Made of Paulownia wood and powder-coated metal
- Each shelf measures 17 inches (L) x 4.8 inches (W) x 4.7 inches (H)
- Wooden boards add a natural touch to your pantry
- Offers more room for customization
- Greatly utilize pantry space
- Inconsistent wooden finish
If you have a small walk-in pantry, then you will definitely love this organizer rack. It is designed to be hung up over the door, and it comes with screws and hooks to ensure a secure mount. So, every time you open the door, you don’t have to worry about the possibility of the rack falling on the floor. Use this over-the-door pantry organizer system if there’s no more space to add another shelf on the wall.
- Over-the-door hooks
- Smart, space-saving design
- Clean, minimalist design
- Available in two colors: black and white
- This item measures: 7.25 inches (L) x 18.5 inches (W) x 63.2 inches (H)
- Adds shelving space
- Hooks and screws secure the rack in place
- Adds style to your pantry
- Cannot hold any heavy items
Whenever you come home from the grocery store, you always find yourself rearranging your pantry to make room for your newly-bought snacks and other goodies. Since nothing actually stays in place, you need versatile walk-in pantry organizers such as these metal wire baskets. It’s a set of three stackable baskets that can be mounted on the wall. Aside from that, you can also use each basket separately and turn them into individual countertop bins. Plus, this wire basket set also comes with extra hooks which are useful for hanging kitchen towels and ladles.
- Slanted panels
- Compact design
- Stackable bins
- The package includes 3 wire baskets, 3 chalkboards, and 5 hooks
- 3-tier metal wire basket
- Removable chalkboards for labeling
- Hanging hooks included
- Easy assembly
- The wall anchors do not hold well
Food Storage Organizers for a Walk-In Pantry
Stop wasting food with these food-grade storage containers. With materials ranging from BPA-free plastic to borosilicate glass, these containers help prolong the shelf life of food. Plus, most of them have a compact, minimalist design so they can help save space in your walk-in pantry.
Are you the type of person who is strict about diet and exercise? If you are, then these plastic food storage containers should be in your pantry. You can use them for food portioning to control the amount of food that you’ll be eating every day. Moreover, storing portions of food in these plastic containers is convenient because it eliminates the need to prepare meals in the morning. Plus, the lids are interchangeable! Even if the lid of a container is lost, you can easily replace it with another.
- Interchangeable lids
- Microwave-safe containers
- Clear design
- Available in three various sets: 150 sets of 2 oz.; 44 sets of mixed sizes and 70 sets of mixed sizes
- Plastic containers have a size variation of 18 oz., 16 oz., and 32 oz.
- Stackable plastic containers
- See what’s inside with its see-through design
- Affordable food storage organizers
- The plastic containers might stain
To achieve a luxury walk-in pantry, not only do you have to come up with a lavish interior design, but you also have to decorate your pantry with exquisite pieces such as this canister set. The set includes glass containers that are not your typical canisters as they are made of embossed glass with ornate, floral decorations. Use them to add style and sophistication to your pantry.
- Embossed glass canisters
- Durable, thick glass
- Versatile storage organizer
- Set includes 3 canisters
- Available in three sizes: Small, Medium, and Large
- It does not stain nor absorbs smells
- Gorgeous design; ideal as a gift
- Tight-sealing properties with their rubber stopper lids
- The medium-sized canister tends to wobble
Opened food packets tend to go stale after leaving them out in the open. To make sure they stay fresh and crisp even after a few weeks, put them in these airtight storage containers. Each container has a lock mechanism that has tight sealing properties. What is also great about these walk-in pantry organizers is that you only need one hand to open them. This is very convenient especially if you are always in a hurry to prepare your meals.
- Easy-to-open lid
- Tight-sealing properties
- BPA, food-grade containers
- Available in two packs: 6-pack and 10-pack
- Made of silicone and plastic
- Modular, stackable design helps save space
- Keeps dry food fresh and crisp
- Available in different sizes
- It’s quite expensive compared to other food containers
If you always have guests coming over, it’s handy to keep a couple of sodas at home. Instead of storing these soda cans in the fridge, store them in your pantry. Just make sure to use these soda bins to keep things neat and organized. It has a compact design so it doesn’t take much space on your pantry shelves. And the best part is that it is made of BPA-free plastic; rest assured that it’s safe to store foods and drinks in it.
- Durable, BPA-free plastic bin
- Compact, space-saving design
- Upright design
- Holds up to 7 regular-sized soda cans
- Each bin measures 11 inches x 5.5 inches x 8.5 inches
- Set includes 4 plastic bins
- The upright design makes it easier to dispense drinks
- Organizes your soda cans in the pantry
- It can fit in narrow-spaced shelves and cabinets
- Not ideal for storing canned foods
Arranging fruits on a plate just to make them look decorative on the counter is a hassle. Instead of doing this, it is better to store fruits in these wood storage bins. The bins have built-in handles on each side so moving them around your pantry won’t be a hassle. What’s more, it is big enough to store a dozen fruits. It can also be used for storing reusable shopping bags and other small knick-knacks in your pantry.
- Portable food storage bins
- Gorgeous wooden finish
- Large storage space
- The package includes 2 bins
- Available in three sizes
- Multifunctional bins
- Keeps pantries clutter-free
- The bins can hold heavy fruits and vegetables
- It’s not made of real wood
Tiered Pantry Organizer Systems
Avoid cluttered shelves by making the most out of your walk-in pantry’s vertical space. You can do this by investing in these tiered pantry organizer systems. With their functional designs, it is easy to access even the innermost corners of your pantry shelves. Also, they keep your items in plain sight so you’ll find what you need right away.
Indeed, stackable bins and baskets help save space, but it is sometimes difficult to pull them out of the shelves. Fortunately, with this 2-tier basket organizer, you don’t go through this hassle anymore. It has a slide-out design that allows you to quickly grab the items inside. What’s more, the baskets are BPA-free so it’s safe to store fruits, vegetables, and other food items. It is ideal to place this basket organizer on the countertop for easier access.
- Clear, BPA-free baskets
- Tiered design
- Removable baskets
- Painted finish
- Dimensions when assembled: 14.63 inches (L) x 9 inches (W) x 10.63 inches (H)
- Each basket has a label space
- Includes removable dividers for better organization
- Convenient pull-out design
- Not ideal for storing tall items
Now that global warming is increasing at an alarming rate, it’s better to switch to sustainable products. Luckily, there are now environmentally-friendly pantry organizers such as this bamboo shelf organizer. Aside from its beautiful natural wood finish, it also offers more storage space because of its expandable design. Also, since it is a tiered shelf organizer, you get to display your spice collection without taking too much shelving space.
- Sophisticated bamboo finish
- Expandable organizer
- Handcrafted spice rack
- Each step measures 3 inches deep
- Overall dimensions are (8.75 inches to 15.5 inches W) x 8.25 inches (L) x 3.3 inches (H)
- It can be placed inside drawers
- Use it to neatly display your spice collection
- Keeps countertops clutter-free
- The steps are a bit short
It’s great to keep extra packs of tea in your walk-in pantry as they help boost your energy in the morning. However, these tea packets tend to clutter drawers, so it’s best to store them in this plastic countertop organizer. It features three drawers with each drawer having three individual compartments that are ideal for storing regular-sized tea packets. Moreover, it has a clear design so you’ll easily see what type of tea is stored in a drawer. Aside from small food packets, you can also use them for storing jewelry, hair accessories, and cosmetics.
- Versatile organizer
- Compact design
- Clear, see-through design
- Available in four colors: Charcoal, Clear, Light Grey, and White
- This product measures 9.34 inches x 6.96 inches x 9.9 inches
- Easily find what you need with its clear design
- More room for storing tea packets
- Space-saving, compact design
- It’s quite difficult to open once the drawers are full
If you want a luxury walk-in pantry, then try to look for modern pieces that add beauty and functionality to your space. A good example would be the Rolanstar Spice Rack Organizer. It has an iron frame with an oil-rubbed bronze finish, and the shelves are made from natural wood. Use this exquisite organizer if you want to achieve a rustic style pantry. Aesthetics aside, this spice rack also offers more storage space for serving spoons, and other kitchen accessories since it has a small mesh bin and two hanging hooks.
- Rustic-style design
- Mesh bin and hanging hooks
- Durable iron frame
- Package includes rack, accessory bag, and L-shaped Allen wrench
- This product measures 19.7 inches (L) x 7.1 inches (W) x 16.9 inches (H)
- All-in-one pantry organizer system
- Elegant design that suits most kitchens
- The middle shelf is adjustable
- The actual color appears darker than in the pictures
Usually, a corner walk-in pantry is quite small and has limited space. To make sure you won’t end up with a crowded pantry, use this turntable rack organizer for storing bottles of spices and seasonings. Unlike many lazy Susan organizers that have a full-circle design, this functional rack features a D-shaped turntable that helps save space. Also, it has a swinging design that allows you to easily access the items at the back of the shelf. Now, you won’t be ruining the arrangement of your pantry shelves, thanks to this swinging turntable.
- D-shaped turntable
- Swing-out design
- Durable polymer plastic
- Available colors: Black, Champagne, Slate, White, and Wine
- This product measures 10 ⅞ inches (D) x 13 3/16 inches (W) x 7 5/16 inches (H)
- It doesn’t take too much shelf space
- Fills in the corners of your pantry shelves
- Keeps your seasoning bottles organized
- Assembling might be difficult
Walk-In Pantry Pot Organizers
Aside from food, you can also store some of your pots and pans in the walk-in pantry. This is a good idea if you want to avoid a messy kitchen countertop. Besides, it’s better to temporarily keep these cookware essentials in your pantry as you won’t be using all of them every day. You will only need them if you have to prepare plenty of food for special occasions.
Do you love cooking? If the answer is yes, you probably have a collection of different types of pans in your kitchen. Instead of stacking them in the cabinet, store them in this adjustable organizer rack. It is almost like a dishwasher rack, but this one is made for pans. Made from heavy-duty alloy steel, it can securely hold your pans in place. Plus, the rack is expandable, so there’s extra room for storing a couple of pot lids.
- Expandable, detachable rack
- Non-slip feet
- Adjustable dividers
- The rack extends from 12 inches to 23 inches
- Adjustable in 0.6-inch increments
- Weighs 2.3 lb
- The silicone feet prevents the rack from sliding
- The rack can be separated into two
- Durable enough to hold heavy pans
- Not ideal for large pans
People Who Search For Walk-In Pantry Also Search For
If you need another sturdy pan rack, then consider buying the CAXXA Pan Rack. Also made from alloy steel, this sturdy metal rack is a must-have storage organizer in your small walk-in pantry. This kitchen organizer is a unique rack that has a two-way display design: you can either lay it down on the counter or use it as a standing rack. In addition to that, the dividers are adjustable so pans and pots of different sizes can fit in them.
- Simple, clean design
- Sturdy metal rack
- Versatile rack
- Holds 5 pans and pots
- Overall dimensions are 12.8 inches x 10.4 inches x 8.9 inches
- Securely stores your pans
- Built to last
- Space-saving pan organizer rack
- The rack tends to tilt if a large pan is placed on top
Now that you have a rack for your pots and pans, you need another one for their lids. Featuring the Evelots Pot Lid Storage Rack, it is a wall-mounted kitchen organizer that is made of strong iron-coated metal. If you are wondering where you should install it in your walk-in pantry, it is ideal to mount this in a corner pantry cabinet because this can help you save space. Keep in mind though that this kitchen rack is only suitable for pot lids with round knob handles and ear-shaped handles.
- Strong chrome-plated iron
- Exquisite chrome finish
- Wall-mounted rack
- Overall dimensions are 9.5 inches x 17 inches x 3.5 inches
- Can hold 6 pot lids
- Since it is wall-mounted, it helps save space
- Strong enough to hold several pot lids
- The rack can fit in cabinets
- Oversized pot lids will not fit
Unless you are always cooking for a large group of people, you do not need to bring out those huge pots all the time. To save kitchen space, move them in your pantry. Don’t worry, though, because they won’t clutter if you store them in this pot rack organizer. This is the most flexible among all the pot rack organizers in this list because the dividers are removable. You can either install all the dividers or just install four of them to get a standing rack. You also have the option to lay it down on your pantry’s countertop.
- U-shaped groove design
- Adjustable dividers
- Heavy-duty iron frame
- The package includes 1 metal frame, 2 metal supports, and 6 dividers
- Holds up to 8 pots and pans
- Pots and pans of different sizes will fit
- Assembly is easy
- Various installation methods
- Eats up a huge chunk of pantry space
If there’s no more space in the cabinets and shelves, then why don’t you move some of your cookware in this mount pot rack? This is a good storage solution if your pantry has an empty, spacious wall. However, since this takes more wall space, make sure to know first what your walk-in pantry dimensions are. Doing this will help you determine whether the pot rack will fit nicely in your pantry.
- Elegant chrome and nickel plating surface
- Double-screw fixation design
- Guardrail design
- Available in two colors: Black and Silver
- Overall dimensions are 29.3 inches x 13 inches x 9.3 inches
- Large capacity
- Guardrails help prevent the pots from falling
- Hanging hooks are great for storing small pans
- Installation needs a bit of modification
Having a walk-in pantry has a lot of advantages. Aside from adding value to your home, it is customizable to meet your family’s kitchen needs. You get the freedom to personalize it in any style you want and turn it into a convenient storage space in the kitchen. However, just as there are many advantages, this type of pantry has some drawbacks too. It can get too cluttered because the items are spread out. To maintain a spacious and clean pantry, you just have to make use of various pantry organization systems. Also, it would be helpful to just go back and review all of our smart organization ideas above.