8 Best Diaper Pails For A Better Way Of Cleaning Baby’s Bums
Modified: December 6, 2023
Keep diaper fails at bay with the best diaper pail! Equip your nursery with a diaper pail that will keep the room baby fresh at all times.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
One of the many struggles of having a baby is diapers— smelly diapers, no less. Out of the many bodily fluids a baby dispels throughout each day, the most dreaded of them all is what comes out of their bums. Turning pristine white diapers into a messy surprise, the process of dispelling these fluids can taint one’s parenting experience. Thankfully, parents and guardians won’t have to dread this necessary affair much longer. This specially curated list of the best diaper pails has come to your rescue!
Why You Should Consider Buying a Diaper Pail
Why do you need a diaper pail? Won’t that be redundant when you already have the best trash can in your nursery? Well, if you want your whole house reeking of used diapers and other odors, then, by all means, settle. However, we really think you should consider buying a diaper pail. After all, these products are designed to lock up the inevitably foul smell from diapers and keep them there.
Aside from keeping the stink away, diaper pails make convenient trash disposals that can give you more time to be hands-on with your baby. Equipping your nursery or bathroom with the best diaper pail will do wonders in terms of overall cleanliness and convenience. You’ll need all the help you can get, and the best equipment like a diaper pail exists for this very reason.
Pros And Cons of A Diaper Pail
There is an upside and downside to everything. For example, babies are a great way to grow families and secure one’s legacy, but the downside? Diapers everywhere! The same goes for getting the best diaper pail. Here are the pros and cons of a diaper pail to help you decide:
The Sweet Upside
- It keeps the nasty odor of diapers from spreading in the house.
- It has a locking system that can keep your curious toddlers and pets from getting into the trash and opening a used diaper.
- Most diaper pails have a foot pedal, enabling you to have all hands on deck when your baby is on the changing table.
The Bitter Downside
- A diaper pail is expensive and can be an unnecessary purchase.
- Diaper pails take up space.
- Some diaper pails require special bags to keep the stink in, which can be pricy.
- They can be an additional thing to clean and sanitize in the nursery.
8 Best Diaper Pail For A Better Way Of Cleaning Baby’s Bums
To complete your parenting tool belt, we have combed the World Wide Web to find the best diaper pail to accompany your changing table. These are the best eight that will help keep confine the smell while still blending in with your nursery’s curtains and cute baby mobiles.
One of the best diaper pails that have parents raving is the Ubbi Steel Odor Locking Diaper Pail. Its steel body does a great job of locking the smell of dirty diapers in and keeping the room safe and clean for your toddler to play in. This diaper trash holder can store up to a whopping 55 dirty nappies so, don’t worry about throwing out the diaper trash every single time your little one makes an oopsie.
- Child safety lock
- Stylish minimalist design
- Pail size: 11.38 inches (L) x 8.38 inches (W) x 19.5 inches (H)
- Made of steel
- Has a lot of stylish colors and designs to choose from
- You don’t have to purchase special refill bags
- Has a childproof lock that will keep your baby from exploring dirty diapers
- Can hold a lot of diapers
- Easy to use
- Has amazing odor locking capability
- You will need to use your hands because it doesn’t open with a foot pedal
- The steel it’s made from is prone to rust over time
The GoodHousekeeping Institute has awarded the Munchkin Step Diaper Pail as the 2020 Best Diaper Pail. Don’t let its simple look fool you because this diaper container packs a lot once you step on the pedal to open it. This pail is equipped with an Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Puck Cartridge where you can put scented pods to counter any other smell from the pail. It’s also compatible with most ring refills and snap, seal, and toss refill bags!
- Diaper step pail
- Includes a snap, seal and toss bag, starter ring refill, a lavender-scented baking soda puck, and a toss disposable diaper holder
- Self-sealing mechanism
- Childproof lock
- Diaper holder size 27 inches high and 12 inches deep
- Made of high-quality plastic
- The self-sealing system is effective in keeping bad smells in
- The foot pedal is not only convenient but more hygienic
- Has a sleek contemporary design, looks like it’s made of steel
- Easy to clean
- Can hold a lot of diapers
- Has a built-in Arm and Hammer air freshener puck for scent pods
- The pail can be a bit loud when you use the step pedal to open and close
- The self-seal makes it hard to put another diaper in, causing you to push it in with your hand
If your baby’s preferred time to go number two is in the middle of the night, a loud smashing diaper pail might not be best. Consider the Dekor Plus Hands-Free Diaper Pail which features a self-closing whisper lid that will keep the night quiet even after a passive-aggressive diaper changing. Keep both your hands free and focused on your little one. Just step, drop, and you’re done! This diaper holder comes in a variety of soft colors that will surely fit any nursery aesthetic.
- Ergonomic foot pedal
- Odor keeper trap door
- Self-closing Whisper Lid
- Made of closed-cell ABS Plastic
- Container dimensions: 24 inches (L) x 15 inches (W) x 11 inches (H)
- Absolutely hands-free use
- The foot pedal is effective and very convenient
- Easy to clean and use
- Traps the diaper smell in
- Can be used for cloth diapers
- The plastic absorbs the smell over time and stinks itself
- The pail keeps the odor in, but when you open it to put a diaper in, a foul smell will greet you
For parents who are always on the go, hiking trips can be a challenge when you have your infant with you. Diaper changing will definitely be a different adventure. Keep your trip from smelling like stinky nappies with the PurePail Go Diaper Pail. It features the same charcoal filter in every PurePail diaper holder but in a cuter, more compact version. This tiny diaper container can fold into 3.5 inches for easy storage but can also hold up to 12 diapers! Save your next road trip from some avoidable call of nature fails with this in your trunk.
- Collapsible diaper holder
- PurePail charcoal filter
- Child-safety lock
- Pail size: 9.75 inches (L) x 9.75 inches (W) x 3.5 inches (H)
- Great for traveling
- Easy to use
- Seals the bad odor effectively
- The diaper pail is too small and doesn’t hold much
- The child lock isn’t that sturdy or reliable
When on the hunt for the best diaper pail, the first thing that often crosses many seasoned parents’ minds is the Diaper Genie. Well, we can’t blame them because it is the OG for a reason. This Playtex Diaper Genie is the Expressions version that features a double seal odor blocking system with a Push-N-Lock mechanism that ensures no stinky diaper smell will escape. It also holds a substantial amount of diapers and will save you time from taking out the trash.
- Secure Push-N-Lock seal
- Diaper Genie starter refill
- Diaper genie dimensions: 11 inches (L) x 11 inches (W) x 22.5 inches (H)
- Holds a lot of diapers
- Has a great odor locking system
- Easy to empty and load the refill
- You will need to push and squish to get the diaper in
- You will need to use special refills for this diaper pail, which are quite pricey
The Creative Baby Tidy Diaper Pail features a unique piston system that seems like you’re beaming a stinky diaper down to planet trash. This is the best diaper pail if you want something environmentally friendly and cost-effective as it lets you use any type of disposable trash bag, including the ones you got from the supermarket. No need to buy any special refills for this one, yet it still does the job and keeps the dirty diaper smell off your planet of a house.
- Piston system that pushes diapers and the odor down
- Dishwasher safe
- Made of plastic
- Trash pail size: 16 inches (L) x 15 inches (W) x 11.5 inches (H)
- Compatible with any refill or trash bag
- Has excellent odor sealing capacity
- Has a unique design
- Easy to use and clean
- Lightweight items like wipes get stuck and don’t go down easily
The best diaper pail is either made of top-quality plastic or steel for effective odor locking. If you’re on the lookout for notable steel-bodied pooper pails, the Bubula Steel Diaper Pail is one of the best options. With this product, you won’t have to worry about getting in contact with dirty nappies as it features a separate compartment for you to place the diaper. Fully functional with just a push of a button, this pail will drop the diaper together with all other dirty diapers into its storage unit. This separate compartment not only maintains a high hygiene standard but also acts as an effective barrier to keep the stink inside.
- Ergonomic design
- Airtight lid
- Safety lock
- Made of aluminum and steel construction
- Pail dimensions: 10.14 inches x 5.71 inches x 5.71 inches
- Holds a lot of diapers
- Keeps the odor in and doesn’t smell bad even when you open it to put another diaper in
- Works with any trash bag
- The hinges that keep the lid secure are made of plastic, which can break easily
- Not too durable as the lid breaks easily
- Prone to dents when knocked over
Another Diaper Genie is on our list of the best diaper pail to partner with your changing table and nursery. The Playtext Diaper Genie Complete Pail is one of the three different diaper pails Playtex offers. Its unique feature is an easy access front door to make sure taking out dirty diapers is a stress-free event. You don’t have to hunch back when putting diapers inside because the Diaper Genie Complete has an ergonomic design. It’s tall enough to avoid a Notre Dame-worthy posture.
- Odor lock system
- Diaper pail with a foot pedal
- Ergonomic tall design
- Made of plastic
- Pail dimensions: 9.38 inches (L) x 12.06 inches (W) x 27 inches (H)
- Can come in white and gray
- Does a great job in keeping bad odor from spreading to the room
- Easy to use and clean
- Has a sleek modern design
- Changing the bag is much easier as the front tilt bin provides easy access
- You would need to change the refill bag more often as it doesn’t hold many diapers
- Special refills are required for this Diaper Genie, which is an added cost
Read more: How To Store Diapers
Things To Consider In Buying The Best Diaper Pail
Just like before deciding on the best nursery decor for your newborn, you need to consider whether it’s hypoallergenic, baby-proofed, and much more. So, here are some of the important factors to consider before choosing the best diaper pail for your little one.
Before anything else, you have to check that the diaper pail you’re getting has met the standards of the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association. Meeting the safety standards must be the bare minimum, as a diaper pail is one of the many things that will always be around your infant. Make sure there’s a child-safety lock as well to avoid your curious toddler from exploring ground zero of dirty nappies.
The main reason people get a diaper pail in the first place is to rid their homes of the stinky mess their little ones made. So, it’s only right that a diaper pail should offer superior odor-blocking capabilities. Some diaper pails incorporate an odor system into their hardware, while others require scented pods and refill bags.
Diaper Pail Trash Bags and Refills
There are diaper pails that are compatible with any type of disposable trash liner. But, many also need special refill bags to function. So, keep that in mind when choosing the best diaper pail because you will need a whole lot of extra refills on hand at all times.
The number one rule of changing baby diapers is to never leave your little one’s sight. This can be a challenge, especially if your diaper pail is a pain to open. To avoid losing focus, always consider each product’s accessibility when making a purchase.
There are diaper pails that have a bigger capacity, but most parents don’t like dirty diapers sitting too long in the pail either. So, a bigger capacity might seem irrelevant. Regardless, it’s still your choice! If you’re having twins, a bigger cap diaper pail is definitely preferable, or if you don’t like taking out the trash every hour of every day, having more diaper capacity won’t hurt.
One of the best things about having a baby is the well-curated nursery that captures your aesthetic. So, it’s good to have a diaper pail that doesn’t cramp your style. If anything, the best diaper pail should be discreet. You can also take notes on how to hide your trash can if you want your bin to be a silent team player in your room.
The price is, of course, an important factor to consider in your hunt for the best diaper pail. Research if your diaper pail has a lot of add-ons that will also increase its overall cost of maintenance. This includes the scented pods and special refill bags that it might require.
Read more: How To Store Cloth Diapers
A Diaper Pail To End All Diaper Fails
It’s easy to have your hands full when caring for your baby. So, it’s necessary to have all the help you can get, no matter how small. A simple foot pedal on your diaper pail can do wonders during midnight trips to the nursery changing table. Having an extra pair of hands to get the job done is always appreciated, so involve your partner in this decision too.
Choose from the best eight diaper pails you can count on in your diaper changing journey. Remember, you can always avoid a diaper fail with the best diaper pail!
Was this page helpful?
At Storables.com, we guarantee accurate and reliable information. Our content, validated by Expert Board Contributors, is crafted following stringent Editorial Policies. We're committed to providing you with well-researched, expert-backed insights for all your informational needs.