Living Room Storage
10 Living Room Fireplace Ideas: From Style To Placement
Modified: September 8, 2023
Discover the top 10 living room fireplace ideas, ranging from style to placement. Enhance your living room storage with these stunning design inspirations.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to the world of living room fireplaces! Not only do fireplaces provide warmth and comfort, but they also add style and sophistication to any living space. Whether you prefer a traditional fireplace or a contemporary design, there are endless options to choose from to make your living room a cozy haven.
In this article, we will explore 10 living room fireplace ideas, ranging from different styles to placement options. You will discover the pros and cons of each design, as well as creative ways to incorporate fireplaces into your living room decor.
So, let’s dive into the world of fireplaces and find the perfect one for your living room!
Traditional Fireplace Placement
Placing a fireplace in the traditional spot, usually against a wall in the center of the room, has its own unique charm and appeal. Let’s explore the pros and cons of this classic fireplace placement and discover tips for arranging furniture around it.
- Central Focal Point: A traditional fireplace creates a central focal point in the living room, instantly drawing the eye and creating a sense of coziness and warmth.
- Ambiance: The crackling sounds and mesmerizing flames of a traditional fireplace create a cozy and inviting ambiance that is hard to replicate with other heating options.
- Classic Aesthetic: A traditional fireplace adds a touch of timeless elegance and sophistication to any living room, enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal of the space.
- Space Constraints: Placing a fireplace against a wall can sometimes limit the available space in your living room, making it challenging to arrange furniture in a way that maximizes functionality and flow.
- Installation and Ventilation: Traditional fireplaces require proper installation and ventilation systems to ensure safety and proper functioning, which can be a costly and time-consuming process.
- Heat Distribution: Depending on the construction and layout of your living room, a traditional fireplace may not distribute heat evenly throughout the space, leading to hot and cold spots.
Tips for arranging furniture around a traditional fireplace:
- Consider Symmetry: Place your furniture symmetrically around the fireplace to create a balanced and visually pleasing arrangement. This can be achieved by positioning sofas or armchairs on either side of the fireplace.
- Create an Intimate Seating Area: Arrange your furniture to create a cozy seating area that faces the fireplace, allowing you and your guests to enjoy the warmth and ambiance.
- Mind the Clearance: Leave enough space between the furniture and the fireplace to ensure safety and prevent overheating. Consult the manufacturer’s guidelines for recommended clearance distances.
- Utilize the Mantel: Use the fireplace mantel as a display space for artwork, photographs, or decorative objects to add visual interest and personal touch to your living room.
- Consider a Hearth: If your traditional fireplace has a hearth, use it as additional seating or a display surface for decorative items.
By considering these pros, cons, and tips, you can create a welcoming and visually appealing living room centered around a traditional fireplace.
Corner Fireplace Designs
Corner fireplaces offer a unique and space-saving option for adding a cozy touch to your living room. In this section, we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of a corner fireplace and share creative ideas for incorporating this design into your living room.
Advantages of a Corner Fireplace:
- The corner placement of a fireplace allows you to maximize the use of space in your living room. It makes efficient use of the corner area that might otherwise be left unused.
- A corner fireplace can be a visually striking feature in your living room, adding architectural interest and becoming a focal point for the space.
- Placing a corner fireplace in your living room gives you the opportunity to create cozy nooks or seating areas around the fireplace, perfect for curling up with a book or enjoying intimate conversations.
Disadvantages of a Corner Fireplace:
- Depending on the layout of your living room, the placement of a corner fireplace might limit the viewing angle from certain areas of the room.
- Corner fireplaces can present challenges when it comes to arranging furniture. The placement may limit options for furniture layout and can require some creativity.
- Installing a corner fireplace may require additional construction or modifications to the room, increasing the complexity and cost of the project.
Creative Ideas for Incorporating a Corner Fireplace:
- Arrange a comfortable armchair or a small loveseat in the corner near the fireplace, along with a bookshelf and a side table, to create a cozy reading nook.
- Arrange seating furniture, such as a sofa and two chairs, diagonally across from the corner fireplace to create a conversational seating area that maximizes the view of the fireplace.
- Install built-in shelves on one or both sides of the corner fireplace to create a stylish and functional display for books, decor items, and personal mementos.
- Mounting a television above the corner fireplace can create a practical and visually appealing entertainment setup.
- Experiment with angled furniture placement to optimize the viewing angle from different parts of the room while keeping the corner fireplace as the focal point.
By considering the advantages and disadvantages and incorporating these creative ideas, you can make the most of a corner fireplace and transform your living room into a cozy and inviting space.
Wall-Mounted Fireplace Ideas
A wall-mounted fireplace is a contemporary and stylish choice that can add both warmth and visual appeal to your living room. In this section, we will explore how a wall-mounted fireplace can enhance the ambiance of your living room and discuss different types of designs to consider.
A wall-mounted fireplace has the power to transform the ambiance of your living room in several ways:
- Wall-mounted fireplaces have a sleek and modern design that can instantly elevate the aesthetic of any living room, adding a touch of elegance and sophistication.
- Many wall-mounted fireplaces feature built-in lighting options, such as LED flames or backlighting, which can create a mesmerizing ambiance and set the mood in your living room.
- Wall-mounted fireplaces are an excellent choice for smaller living rooms or apartments where space is limited. They can be mounted on any wall, saving valuable floor space.
Types of Wall-Mounted Fireplace Designs:
When choosing a wall-mounted fireplace for your living room, you have several design options to consider:
- Electric Wall-Mounted Fireplace: Electric fireplaces are a popular choice for wall-mounted designs. They offer convenience and ease of use, with adjustable flame settings and remote control operation. Electric fireplaces also eliminate the need for venting or chimneys.
- Gas Wall-Mounted Fireplace: Gas fireplaces provide an authentic and realistic flame effect. They can be fueled by natural gas or propane and offer the convenience of instant heat and adjustable flames. It is important to ensure proper ventilation and professional installation with gas fireplaces.
- Bioethanol Wall-Mounted Fireplace: Bioethanol fireplaces are environmentally friendly and require no venting or electricity. They burn clean and produce real flames, creating a cozy and warm atmosphere. However, keep in mind that bioethanol fireplaces may require more frequent refilling.
- Gel fuel fireplaces are easy to use and require no external power source. They produce real flames and provide a natural warmth and ambiance. Gel fuel is relatively inexpensive and widely available.
When choosing a wall-mounted fireplace, consider the style and aesthetic of your living room, as well as your heating preferences and any specific requirements such as ventilation or fuel availability.
With a wall-mounted fireplace, you can create a stunning focal point in your living room while enjoying the warmth and ambiance it brings. Choose a design that best suits your needs and style to transform your living room into a cozy retreat.
Double-Sided Fireplace Inspiration
A double-sided fireplace is a unique and versatile feature that can add both functionality and style to your living room. In this section, we will explore the benefits of installing a double-sided fireplace and share stylish and functional ideas for incorporating one into different room layouts.
Benefits of a Double-Sided Fireplace:
- Enhanced Visual Appeal: A double-sided fireplace serves as a stunning focal point that can be enjoyed from multiple areas of your living room. It adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to the space.
- Improved Heat Distribution: A double-sided fireplace can efficiently heat two separate areas of your living room, providing warmth and comfort in both spaces simultaneously.
- A double-sided fireplace can visually connect two adjacent rooms, such as a living room and dining room, creating a seamless flow and open concept design.
- With a double-sided fireplace, you have the freedom to choose from various design styles and materials, including traditional, contemporary, or even see-through fireplaces.
Stylish and Functional Double-Sided Fireplace Ideas:
Here are some creative ideas for incorporating a double-sided fireplace into different room layouts:
- Install a double-sided fireplace between your living room and dining area. This creates a seamless transition between the two spaces and allows for the cozy ambiance of the fire to be enjoyed from both areas while providing warmth.
- Dividing Wall: Use a double-sided fireplace as a dividing wall between different functional areas within your living room. This can create definition and separation while maintaining an open and spacious feel.
- Master Suite Retreat: Install a double-sided fireplace between the bedroom and the ensuite bathroom. This adds a touch of luxury and romance, creating a cozy and relaxing ambiance in both spaces.
- Outdoor and Indoor Connection: If your living room leads to an outdoor area, consider installing a double-sided fireplace that can be enjoyed from both sides of the wall. This allows for a seamless flow between indoor and outdoor entertainment spaces.
- Create a dramatic impact with a floor-to-ceiling double-sided fireplace. This design choice draws the eye and serves as a striking centerpiece, enhancing the overall aesthetic of your living room.
When designing your living room with a double-sided fireplace, consider the layout, functionality, and overall style of the space. Consult with a professional to ensure proper installation and ventilation to guarantee safety and optimal performance of the fireplace.
With a double-sided fireplace, you can enjoy the beauty and warmth of a fireplace from multiple angles, creating a stunning and functional feature in your living room.
Fireplace Mantel Decor Ideas
The fireplace mantel is a prime spot for showcasing your personal style and adding decorative elements to your living room. In this section, we will provide tips for decorating your fireplace mantel to complement your living room style and share creative and trendy decor ideas for various themes and seasons.
Tips for Decorating Your Fireplace Mantel:
- Create a balanced look by placing taller items on either end of the mantel and layering shorter items in the middle. This will create visual harmony and prevent the mantel from appearing cluttered.
- Add visual interest by layering different textures and materials on the mantel. This can include items such as framed artwork, mirrors, vases, candles, and decorative objects to create depth and dimension.
- Consider the size of your fireplace mantel and the surrounding space. Choose decor items that are proportionate to the mantel’s size to ensure a cohesive and balanced look.
- Switch up your mantel decor to reflect the changing seasons. Incorporate seasonal elements like flowers, greenery, and themed decorations to bring a fresh and festive feel to your living room.
- Incorporate personal items such as family photos, souvenirs, or cherished keepsakes into the mantel decor to add a personalized touch and make it truly unique to your living room.
Creative and Trendy Fireplace Mantel Decor Ideas:
Here are some inspiring ideas for decorating your fireplace mantel:
- Create a minimalist look by showcasing a few select items that highlight natural elements such as driftwood, potted plants, or a collection of smooth stones.
- Decorate your mantel with a combination of metallic accents, luxurious candle holders, and a mirror or artwork with an ornate frame for a touch of glamour.
- Display antique or vintage accessories, such as old books, vintage clocks, or weathered picture frames, to add a charming and nostalgic vibe to your living room.
- Combine an array of eclectic decor items, such as colorful textiles, macrame wall hangings, and unique sculptures or artifacts, to create a vibrant and bohemian-inspired mantel display.
- For a cozy and rustic feel, incorporate elements like dried flowers, burlap accents, and wooden signs. Add seasonal touches like pumpkins for fall or pinecones and evergreen branches for winter.
Remember, your fireplace mantel is an opportunity to showcase your creativity and style. Experiment with different ideas, and don’t be afraid to change up your mantel decor to keep things fresh and exciting.
By following these tips and incorporating creative and trendy decor ideas, your fireplace mantel will become a captivating focal point that complements your living room style and adds a touch of personality to the space.
Contemporary Fireplace Styles
Incorporating a contemporary fireplace into your living room can instantly elevate the space with its sleek and modern design. In this section, we will explore different styles of contemporary fireplaces and discuss how you can incorporate minimalist and cutting-edge features into your fireplace design.
Modern and Contemporary Fireplace Designs:
When it comes to contemporary fireplace styles, there are several options to consider:
- Linear Fireplaces: Linear fireplaces are characterized by their long and narrow shape, often stretching across the length or width of a wall. These fireplaces create a visually stunning focal point and can be fueled by gas, electricity, or bioethanol.
- Suspended fireplaces, also known as hanging fireplaces, are fixed from the ceiling, creating a striking and unique visual effect. They are particularly popular in modern and minimalist living rooms.
- Glass-enclosed fireplaces provide a sleek and contemporary look while offering a safe and efficient way to enjoy the beauty of the flames. The transparent glass allows the fire to be seen from multiple angles, creating a captivating display.
- Wall-recessed fireplaces are designed to be mounted into the wall, creating a seamless and integrated look. They provide a clean and minimalist aesthetic and can be a space-saving option for smaller living rooms.
Incorporating Minimalist and Cutting-Edge Features:
To enhance the contemporary feel of your fireplace, consider incorporating minimalist and cutting-edge features:
- Opt for sleek and sophisticated materials such as glass, metal, or concrete to create a clean and modern look.
- Choose a fireplace design with simple and clean lines to achieve a minimalist aesthetic. Avoid ornate or excessive details.
- Incorporate hidden storage compartments or shelves into your fireplace design, allowing you to keep the living room clutter-free and organized.
- Consider integrating your fireplace with smart home technology, allowing you to control the fireplace’s heat, flame intensity, and even turn it on/off remotely using your smartphone or voice commands.
- Add LED lighting to create a futuristic and eye-catching effect. You can install lights along the edges of the fireplace or incorporate them into the flames for a mesmerizing display.
When designing your contemporary fireplace, consider the overall aesthetic of your living room and ensure that the fireplace complements the existing style and décor. Consult with a professional to ensure proper installation and safety measures.
A contemporary fireplace can serve as a statement piece and bring a touch of modern elegance to your living room. By incorporating minimalist and cutting-edge features, you can create a sleek and sophisticated fireplace design that enhances the overall ambiance of your space.
Rustic Fireplace Design Concepts
A rustic fireplace can add a touch of warmth, charm, and coziness to your living room. In this section, we will explore how a rustic fireplace design can enhance your space and provide ideas for creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
Adding Warmth and Charm:
A rustic fireplace evokes a sense of nostalgia and brings a cozy ambiance to your living room. Here are some ways a rustic fireplace can add warmth and charm:
- Incorporate natural materials such as stone, brick, or reclaimed wood into the fireplace design to create a rustic and organic look.
- The crackling sound and flickering flames of a rustic fireplace create a comforting and intimate atmosphere, perfect for lounging or enjoying quality time with family and friends.
- Rustic design is timeless and never goes out of style. A rustic fireplace can bring a sense of nostalgia and character to your living room, creating a warm and inviting space.
Rustic Fireplace Ideas:
Here are some rustic fireplace ideas to help you create a cozy and inviting atmosphere in your living room:
- Use natural stone for your fireplace hearth and mantel to create a rustic focal point. The rugged texture of the stone adds an authentic and earthy feel to your living room.
- Install a reclaimed wood surround around your fireplace to bring warmth and character to the space. The distressed and weathered look of the wood adds rustic charm.
- Incorporate log cabin elements such as log beams or a log mantel to create a rustic retreat within your living room.
- Create a seating nook near the fireplace with comfortable armchairs or a plush sofa, layered with faux fur or knitted blankets for a cozy and inviting vibe.
- Decorate the mantel with rustic accessories like vintage lanterns, antlers, or woven baskets filled with firewood. These elements add to the rustic aesthetic and enhance the overall charm of the fireplace.
When designing your rustic fireplace, aim for a balance between rustic elements and modern or contemporary touches to create a harmonious and visually pleasing look. Consider the size of your living room and the overall style of your space to ensure that the rustic fireplace complements the existing decor.
With a rustic fireplace, you can create a cozy and inviting atmosphere in your living room, providing a retreat for relaxation and enjoyment during colder seasons.
Built-In Fireplace Shelving
Utilizing built-in shelving around your fireplace can not only enhance the aesthetics of your living room but also provide functional storage space. In this section, we will explore the benefits of incorporating built-in shelving around your fireplace and share design tips and inspiration for creating a stunning and practical fireplace area.
Functionality and Aesthetics:
Built-in shelving around a fireplace offers the perfect combination of functionality and aesthetics. Here are some benefits:
- By utilizing the area around your fireplace, you can maximize storage space and keep your living room organized. Built-in shelving provides a designated space for displaying books, decor items, and personal belongings.
- The addition of built-in shelving can enhance the visual appeal of your fireplace, creating a focal point in the living room. It adds depth, texture, and architectural interest to the space.
- <strong.Personalization: With built-in shelving, you can personalize the display by showcasing your favorite books, artwork, family photos, and decorative objects. This allows you to create a unique and personalized feature in your living room.
- The shelves can serve as functional storage for media devices, gaming consoles, DVDs, or other living room essentials. You can choose to add doors or drawers to conceal items and maintain a neat and tidy look.
Design Tips and Inspiration:
Here are some design tips and inspiration for incorporating built-in shelving into your living room fireplace:
- <strong.Symmetry: Create a balanced and visually appealing design by ensuring symmetry in the placement of shelves. This can be achieved by having an equal number of shelves on either side of the fireplace.
- Combine open shelves with closed cabinets or drawers to create a mix of display space and hidden storage. This allows you to showcase decorative items while keeping clutter out of sight.
- Play with varying heights and sizes of shelves to add visual interest. This can be done by incorporating taller shelves for displaying artwork or framed photos, and smaller shelves for storing smaller items or decorative accents.
- Use the same material and finish for the fireplace mantel, shelves, and cabinetry to create a cohesive and unified look. This will ensure that the built-in shelving seamlessly integrates with the fireplace and the overall aesthetic of the room.
- <strong.Lighting: Incorporate integrated lighting within the shelving units to illuminate the display and create a warm and inviting ambiance. Use LED strips or spotlights to highlight specific items or areas within the shelves.
Before incorporating built-in shelving, consider the dimensions and layout of your living room. Consult with a professional to ensure that the shelving is properly installed, structurally sound, and meets safety requirements.
By incorporating built-in shelving around your fireplace, you can create a functional and visually appealing feature in your living room, adding both storage and style to the space.
Statement Fireplaces That Wow
A statement fireplace is a striking and eye-catching feature that serves as the focal point of your living room. For those seeking to make a bold design statement, incorporating a unique and unconventional fireplace can elevate the style and atmosphere of the space. In this section, we will explore some daring and unconventional choices for statement fireplaces that are sure to wow.
Unique and Eye-Catching Fireplace Ideas:
- Install a floor-to-ceiling fireplace that spans the entire height of the wall. This dramatic design creates a stunning visual impact and becomes an impressive centerpiece in your living room.
- Opt for a floating fireplace that appears to be suspended in mid-air, adding an element of intrigue and architectural elegance to your living room.
- A double-sided fireplace not only provides warmth and comfort to two separate areas of your living room but also creates a unique and captivating visual display from both sides.
- Make a bold statement by using a fireplace as a partition wall between two rooms. This innovative design choice adds a sense of openness while still maintaining separation and functionality.
- Consider integrating a painting or artwork above your fireplace to create a visually stunning combination of fire and art. This unconventional approach adds a touch of creativity and personalization to your living room.
Daring and Unconventional Choices:
- Hang a unique fire pit from the ceiling or incorporate a suspended fireplace from above, creating a visually striking and gravity-defying focal point.
- Extend your living room fireplace design to seamlessly transition from the indoor space to an outdoor area. This allows you to enjoy the warmth and beauty of the fire from both inside and outside your home.
- Explore the unconventional option of a fireplace that incorporates cascading water elements, combining the soothing sounds of a waterfall with the cozy warmth of a fire.
- Embrace nostalgia and uniqueness by repurposing a vintage fireplace or salvaging architectural elements from old buildings to create a one-of-a-kind statement piece in your living room.
- Consider incorporating a fireplace that also serves as a built-in entertainment center, complete with hidden TV compartments, sound systems, and shelving for media devices. This unconventional choice provides a combination of function and aesthetics.
When choosing a statement fireplace, consider the overall style and ambiance you want to achieve in your living room. Embrace your creativity and flair for the unconventional and select a design that reflects your personal taste and vision.
Remember to consult with professionals and ensure that the chosen statement fireplace aligns with safety guidelines and installation requirements. With the right choice, your statement fireplace will become the talk of the town and an awe-inspiring feature in your living room.
Outdoor Fireplace Ideas for Indoor Living
Incorporating an outdoor fireplace into your indoor living space can bring a touch of nature and coziness into your home. In this section, we will explore the benefits of incorporating an outdoor-style fireplace into your living room and share creative ideas for integrating it into your overall design.
Benefits of Incorporating an Outdoor Fireplace:
- An outdoor-style fireplace allows you to experience the warmth and ambiance of an outdoor fire while enjoying the comforts of your indoor living space.
- By incorporating materials such as natural stone, brick, or wood into your fireplace design, you can create a seamless transition between the indoor and outdoor environment, enhancing the overall aesthetic of your living room.
- An outdoor-style fireplace can provide a cozy and inviting atmosphere, perfect for curling up with a book or gathering with loved ones on chilly evenings.
- A unique fireplace design can serve as a focal point in your living room, becoming a conversation starter and adding character to the space.
Creative Ideas for Integrating an Outdoor-Style Fireplace:
- Position your outdoor-style fireplace near large windows or glass doors to create a seamless visual connection between your indoor living space and the outdoors.
- Create a feature wall with a fireplace that resembles an outdoor setting. Incorporate elements such as stacked stone, exposed brick, or a reclaimed wood mantel to capture the essence of an outdoor fireplace.
- Enhance the outdoor feel by incorporating natural elements, such as potted plants, floral arrangements, or artwork depicting nature scenes, around the fireplace.
- Arrange your furniture to create a cozy seating area around the fireplace, reminiscent of an outdoor lounge. Incorporate comfortable seating, plush cushions, and warm throws to further enhance the outdoor feel.
- Use outdoor materials like distressed wood, wicker, or rattan in your furniture selection to promote the indoor-outdoor aesthetic. This adds texture and warmth to the space.
When integrating an outdoor-style fireplace into your living room, consider the overall design and style of your home. Strive for a harmonious balance between the indoor and outdoor elements, creating a space that is inviting and cohesive.
Consult with professionals to ensure proper installation and ventilation when incorporating an outdoor-style fireplace into your indoor living space. Safety should always be a priority.
With the right design and execution, an outdoor-style fireplace can be a captivating and unique addition to your living room, infusing a sense of nature and warmth into your indoor space.
Incorporating a fireplace into your living room not only provides warmth but also adds style, character, and a focal point to the space. Whether you opt for a traditional placement, corner design, wall-mounted style, or any other type of fireplace, there are numerous options available to suit your preference and enhance your living room’s ambiance.
By carefully considering the pros and cons of different fireplace placements and styles, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your living room’s layout and your personal taste. Traditional fireplaces offer a central focal point and timeless charm, while corner fireplaces maximize space efficiency. Wall-mounted fireplaces provide a modern and sleek aesthetic, and double-sided fireplaces offer both functionality and visual appeal.
Once you’ve chosen the perfect fireplace, it’s time to think about how to enhance its surroundings. Decorating the fireplace mantel allows you to showcase your style and creativity, while built-in shelving provides both functional storage and an opportunity for tasteful display. If you’re feeling bold, exploring statement fireplace designs or incorporating rustic or outdoor-style fireplaces can make a lasting impression and infuse your living room with your unique personality.
No matter which fireplace style or design you choose, it’s important to prioritize safety and consult with professionals to ensure proper installation and maintenance. By doing so, you can enjoy the warmth and aesthetic appeal of your fireplace with peace of mind.
With this comprehensive guide, you now have the knowledge and inspiration to create a living room that not only provides comfort but also reflects your style and personality. So, go ahead and transform your living room into a cozy and inviting space with a stunning fireplace that will be the heart of your home.