Living Room Storage
Outdoor Living Room Ideas: 31 Ways To Create Space To Unwind
Modified: September 10, 2023
Transform your outdoor space into a relaxing oasis with these 31 inspiring living room ideas. Discover clever storage solutions to maximize your comfort and unwind in style.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to the world of outdoor living rooms, where comfort meets nature and relaxation reaches new heights. Creating a space to unwind in your own backyard is a wonderful way to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life and connect with nature. Whether you have a sprawling lawn, a cozy patio, or a small balcony, there are endless possibilities to transform your outdoor space into a haven of relaxation and entertainment.
In this article, we will explore 31 outdoor living room ideas that will inspire you to create your own oasis. From seating and dining areas to kitchens, bars, and entertainment options, we will cover it all. So, grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and let’s dive into the world of outdoor living spaces.
Section 1: Outdoor Seating Area Ideas
When it comes to outdoor seating areas, comfort is key. Whether you prefer lounging on a plush sofa or curling up in a hammock, creating a cozy and inviting space is essential. Here are some ideas to inspire your outdoor seating area:
- Patio Conversation Set: Invest in a stylish patio conversation set that includes a sofa, chairs, and a coffee table. Opt for weather-resistant materials such as rattan or aluminum and add cushions for extra comfort.
- Hammock and Swing Chair: Hang a hammock or swing chair from a sturdy tree or a pergola to create a relaxing spot for reading or taking a nap.
- Adirondack Chairs: Add a touch of rustic charm with classic Adirondack chairs. Place them around a fire pit or on a deck for a cozy seating arrangement.
- Daybed: Create a luxurious retreat with an outdoor daybed. Dress it up with pillows and throw blankets for a cozy and inviting look.
- Outdoor Bean Bags: For a casual and laid-back vibe, consider using outdoor bean bags. They are not only comfortable but also easy to move around.
- Swing Bench: Install a swing bench on a porch or in a garden corner for a charming and nostalgic seating option.
- Pallet Seating: Get creative with pallets and transform them into DIY seating. Add cushions and pillows for a personalized touch.
- Outdoor Sectional: Create a spacious and flexible seating arrangement with an outdoor sectional. Arrange the pieces to fit your space and seating needs.
- Rocking Chairs: Add a touch of relaxation with rocking chairs. Place them on a porch or balcony for a serene seating option.
- Bench with Storage: Opt for a bench with built-in storage to keep outdoor essentials hidden away and to provide additional seating.
Remember, when choosing outdoor seating, durability and weather resistance are important factors to consider. Look for materials that can withstand the elements and make sure to provide shade or invest in umbrellas to protect your seating area from excessive sun exposure.
Section 2: Outdoor Dining Area Ideas
Creating an outdoor dining area allows you to enjoy meals al fresco and take advantage of the beauty of outdoor surroundings. Whether it’s a casual breakfast or a festive dinner party, here are some outdoor dining area ideas to inspire you:
- Classic Patio Dining Set: Invest in a sturdy patio dining set that includes a table and chairs. Choose materials such as metal or teak that are resistant to weather and provide ample seating for your desired number of guests.
- Picnic Style Dining: Embrace a casual and laid-back atmosphere with a picnic-style dining area. Use a large wooden or concrete table paired with benches or colorful outdoor cushions for seating.
- Bistro Set: Opt for a small bistro set if you have limited space. These charming sets typically include a compact table and two chairs, perfect for intimate meals or enjoying a cup of coffee.
- Bar Height Dining: Create a unique dining experience with a bar height dining set. These taller tables and stools provide a stylish and modern touch to your outdoor dining area.
- Outdoor Farmhouse Table: Bring a rustic touch to your outdoor dining area with a farmhouse-style table. Pair it with mismatched chairs or benches for a cozy and welcoming look.
- Pergola Dining: Install a pergola over your dining area to provide shade and create an intimate ambiance. Add string lights or lanterns to enhance the atmosphere during evening gatherings.
- Portable Grill and Dining: If you love outdoor cooking, consider setting up a portable grill and creating a dining space nearby. This allows you to enjoy freshly grilled meals without the hassle of going back and forth.
- Dining Nook: Transform a corner of your patio or balcony into a cozy dining nook. Use a small round table and chairs to maximize space and create an intimate setting.
- Outdoor Bar and Grill: Take your outdoor dining experience to the next level by setting up a bar and grill area. Install a countertop with bar stools and a built-in grill for a full-service outdoor kitchen.
- Scenic Dining: If you have a breathtaking view in your backyard, take advantage of it by placing your dining area strategically to enjoy the scenery while you dine.
When designing your outdoor dining area, consider the size of your space, the number of guests you plan to accommodate, and the overall style you want to achieve. Also, don’t forget to incorporate shade options, such as umbrellas or a pergola, to protect your dining area from the sun’s rays.
Section 3: Outdoor Entertainment Area Ideas
An outdoor entertainment area is a perfect gathering spot for hosting parties, family gatherings, or simply enjoying leisure time with loved ones. From movie nights to game sessions, here are some outdoor entertainment area ideas to inspire you:
- Outdoor Theater: Create a cozy movie night experience by setting up an outdoor theater. Hang a large white sheet or use a projector screen, and set up comfortable seating with bean bags or outdoor sofas.
- Fire Pit Lounge: Build a fire pit as the centerpiece of your entertainment area. Surround it with comfortable seating like outdoor sofas, chairs, or even hanging swings for a cozy gathering spot during cool evenings.
- Game Zone: Set up an area dedicated to outdoor games like cornhole, horseshoes, or giant Jenga. This will keep both kids and adults entertained during gatherings.
- Outdoor Music System: Install outdoor speakers or a portable music system to set the mood and create a lively atmosphere. Enjoy your favorite tunes while lounging or dancing with friends and family.
- Poolside Entertainment: If you have a pool, transform the surrounding area into an entertainment zone. Set up lounge chairs, a water volleyball net, or even a poolside bar for a fun and refreshing experience.
- Outdoor Sports Court: If you have ample outdoor space, consider building a sports court for activities like basketball, tennis, or volleyball. This will encourage physical activity and friendly competition.
- Garden Games: Create a charming and whimsical atmosphere with garden games like croquet, bocce ball, or badminton. These classic games can add a touch of nostalgia to your outdoor entertainment area.
- Outdoor Kitchen and Bar: Combine entertainment and food by setting up an outdoor kitchen and bar area. Install a built-in grill, countertop, sink, and outdoor fridge to make hosting easier and more enjoyable.
- Water Features: Incorporate water features such as a fountain, pond, or waterfall into your outdoor entertainment area. The soothing sound of water will create a calm and relaxing ambiance.
- Outdoor Play Area: If you have children, create a dedicated outdoor play area with swings, slides, and other play equipment. This will keep the little ones occupied and entertained while adults enjoy their time.
When designing your outdoor entertainment area, consider the size of your space, the activities you enjoy, and the overall ambiance you want to create. Keeping the area well-lit with outdoor lighting options will also extend the usability of your outdoor entertainment area well into the evening.
Section 4: Outdoor Fireplace and Fire Pit Ideas
An outdoor fireplace or fire pit adds warmth, comfort, and a cozy ambiance to any outdoor living space. It provides a focal point for gatherings, extends the usability of your outdoor area into cooler seasons, and creates a magical atmosphere. Here are some outdoor fireplace and fire pit ideas to inspire you:
- Fire Pit with Seating Area: Build a fire pit in your backyard and surround it with comfortable seating like Adirondack chairs, benches, or outdoor sofas. This creates a cozy nook for conversing with friends and family around the warmth of the fire.
- Fireplace with Outdoor Living Room: Construct an outdoor fireplace and pair it with a dedicated living room area complete with a coffee table, armchairs, and a sofa. This creates an elegant and sophisticated space for relaxation and conversation.
- Portable Fire Pit: If you have a small outdoor space or want the flexibility to move the fire pit around, a portable fire pit is a great option. These can be propane-fueled or wood-burning, and they come in various sizes and styles.
- Fire Pit Dining Table: Combine dining and warmth by choosing a fire pit dining table. These tables have a built-in fire pit in the center, allowing you to enjoy a meal while staying cozy around the fire.
- Fireplace with Pizza Oven: If you love cooking and entertaining, consider building a fireplace with a built-in pizza oven. This allows you to enjoy delicious wood-fired pizzas while enjoying the warmth of the fire.
- Fire Pit with Cooking Grill: Turn your fire pit into a versatile cooking station by adding a cooking grill. You can prepare delicious BBQ meals or enjoy a traditional cookout with friends and family.
- Sunken Fire Pit: Create a sunken fire pit area in your backyard by lowering the seating area and surrounding it with sturdy retaining walls. This creates a cozy and intimate space for gatherings.
- Modern Fire Table: Choose a modern fire table as a centerpiece for your outdoor living space. These tables integrate a sleek fire feature into the tabletop, providing both warmth and a stylish design element.
- Natural Stone Fireplace: Construct a stunning fireplace using natural stone for a rustic and natural look. This creates a focal point in your outdoor area, exuding warmth and charm.
- Fire Pit with Water Feature: Combine fire and water by incorporating a water feature into your fire pit design. This unique combination adds a sense of tranquility and serves as a stunning visual element.
When installing an outdoor fireplace or fire pit, be sure to follow safety guidelines and local regulations. It’s also important to have proper seating arrangements and materials that can withstand the heat. Consider the size of your outdoor space and the desired level of maintenance when choosing the best option for your outdoor fireplace or fire pit.
Section 5: Outdoor Kitchen Ideas
An outdoor kitchen can transform your backyard into a culinary haven, allowing you to cook and entertain under the open sky. From basic setups to elaborate outdoor kitchen designs, here are some ideas to inspire your outdoor cooking area:
- Grill Station: A staple in outdoor kitchens, a grill station provides the foundation for cooking delicious meals. Choose a grill that suits your cooking style – gas, charcoal, or even a combination of both.
- Countertop and Prep Space: Ensure you have ample countertop space for food preparation and serving. Materials such as granite or stainless steel are popular choices for their durability and easy maintenance.
- Outdoor Sink: Install a sink in your outdoor kitchen to make cleaning and food preparation more convenient. It will save you from constantly running back and forth to the indoor kitchen.
- Outdoor Refrigerator: Keep your perishables and beverages chilled with an outdoor refrigerator. This eliminates the need to constantly restock from indoors and provides easy access to refreshments.
- Storage Cabinets and Drawers: Incorporate cabinets and drawers into your outdoor kitchen design to keep cooking utensils, grilling accessories, and other essentials organized and within reach.
- Outdoor Pizza Oven: Take your outdoor cooking to the next level with a built-in pizza oven. Impress your guests by serving homemade pizzas with a crispy crust in no time.
- Bar Counter and Seating: Create a social hub in your outdoor kitchen with a bar counter and seating. Guests can gather around, enjoy drinks, and engage in conversation while you prepare meals.
- Outdoor Barbecue Station: Expand your cooking options by adding a barbecue station to your outdoor kitchen. This allows you to smoke, slow-cook, and roast meats and vegetables for flavorful and tender results.
- Outdoor Dining Area: To complete your outdoor kitchen, incorporate a dining area where you and your guests can comfortably enjoy the delicious meals you’ve prepared. Choose a dining set that suits your style and accommodates your desired number of guests.
- Appliance Upgrades: Consider upgrading your outdoor kitchen with additional appliances like a side burner, griddle, or rotisserie. These additions provide versatility and allow you to experiment with different cooking techniques.
Incorporate shaded areas, overhead structures, and proper lighting in your outdoor kitchen to enhance the overall functionality and ambiance. Also, ensure you have adequate ventilation to help dissipate heat and smoke from cooking.
An outdoor kitchen adds convenience, style, and a whole new level of enjoyment to your outdoor living space. Whether you’re hosting a summer barbeque or preparing a cozy dinner for two, an outdoor kitchen allows you to savor the joys of cooking while immersing yourself in the beauty of the outdoors.
Section 6: Outdoor Bar Ideas
An outdoor bar is the perfect addition to your outdoor living space, creating a focal point for entertaining and serving up refreshing drinks. Whether you enjoy mixing cocktails or prefer a chilled beer on tap, here are some outdoor bar ideas to inspire you:
- Tiki Bar: Create a tropical oasis with a tiki bar. Use bamboo, thatch, and vibrant decorations to achieve a fun and festive atmosphere.
- Poolside Bar: Build an outdoor bar near your pool to create a designated area for guests to gather, enjoy drinks, and stay refreshed while lounging by the water.
- Outdoor Bar Cart: If you have limited space, a portable bar cart is a versatile option. Stock it with your favorite beverages, glassware, and mixers, and easily move it around your outdoor area as needed.
- Bar Shed: Convert a shed into a fully functional bar area. Customize it with shelves, a countertop, a sink, and even a mini fridge to create a cozy and intimate space.
- Pergola Bar: Incorporate a bar into your pergola design for a functional and stylish outdoor entertaining area. Install bar stools, hanging lights, and shelves to create a bar-like atmosphere.
- Patio Bar: Build a permanent bar on your patio with weather-resistant materials like stone, brick, or concrete. Add a roof or umbrella for shade and bar seating for a comfortable experience.
- Barbecue Bar: Combine your outdoor bar with a barbecue station for a complete outdoor entertainment package. This allows you to prepare delicious meals while serving up drinks to your guests.
- Rustic Bar: Embrace a charming and rustic ambiance with a wooden bar made from reclaimed materials. Add vintage signs, barrels, or wagon wheels for a rustic touch.
- Bar with Outdoor TV: Install an outdoor TV near your bar area to create an immersive experience for sports events or movie nights while enjoying your favorite drinks.
- Customized Bar Sign: Personalize your outdoor bar with a custom sign that reflects your style and personality. It adds a unique and eye-catching element to your outdoor space.
Make sure to consider the seating arrangement around your outdoor bar, such as bar stools or comfortable lounge chairs, to provide your guests with a comfortable place to relax and enjoy their drinks. Also, be mindful of proper storage and refrigeration for beverages, glassware, and other bar essentials.
An outdoor bar creates a fantastic gathering spot for parties, socializing, and enjoying the outdoors. With a well-designed and well-stocked bar area, you can elevate your outdoor entertainment experience and become the ultimate host.
Section 7: Outdoor Garden and Greenery Ideas
An outdoor garden adds beauty, tranquility, and a touch of nature to your outdoor living space. Incorporating greenery and plants into your outdoor area creates a harmonious environment and promotes relaxation. Here are some ideas to inspire your outdoor garden and greenery:
- Planter Boxes: Install planter boxes along the perimeter of your patio or deck. Fill them with colorful flowers, herbs, or even vegetables to create a vibrant and functional garden space.
- Vertical Gardening: Utilize vertical space by incorporating hanging baskets, living walls, or trellises. This allows you to have a lush garden even in limited spaces.
- Rock Garden: Create a low-maintenance rock garden by arranging various sizes and shapes of rocks and incorporating drought-tolerant plants. This adds texture and visual interest to your outdoor area.
- Potted Plants: Place potted plants strategically around your outdoor living space to add a pop of color and greenery. Use a mix of different sizes, heights, and plant varieties to create visual appeal.
- Herb Garden: Grow your own herbs by dedicating a section of your outdoor space to an herb garden. Not only will it provide fresh herbs for cooking, but it also adds a delightful aroma to your surroundings.
- Fruit Trees: If you have space, consider planting fruit trees in your outdoor area. Enjoy the beauty of blossoms in spring and reap the rewards of fresh fruits during harvest time.
- Fairy Garden: Create a whimsical and enchanting atmosphere by designing a fairy garden. Use miniature plants, tiny figurines, and accessories to bring a magical touch to your outdoor space.
- Water Feature: Incorporate a water feature, such as a fountain or a pond, into your garden design. The sound of trickling water adds a calming element and attracts local wildlife.
- Native Plants: Opt for native plants that are well-suited to your region’s climate and require less maintenance. They are adapted to the local environment, making them more resilient and easier to care for.
- Seasonal Flowerbeds: Create seasonal flowerbeds to add bursts of color throughout the year. Choose flowers that bloom during different seasons to ensure continuous beauty and variety.
When planning your outdoor garden, consider the amount of sunlight and shade in your space, as different plants have varying light requirements. Also, be mindful of providing adequate water and drainage to ensure the health of your plants.
By incorporating an outdoor garden into your living space, you can create a serene and refreshing environment that enhances the overall aesthetics and promotes a connection with nature.
Section 8: Outdoor Lighting Ideas
Outdoor lighting plays a crucial role in creating ambiance, enhancing safety, and extending the usability of your outdoor living area well into the evening. From soft and romantic to functional and practical, here are some outdoor lighting ideas to inspire you:
- String Lights: String lights are a popular and versatile option for creating a warm and inviting atmosphere. Hang them above your patio, across your outdoor seating area, or even along fences or trees for a magical glow.
- Pathway Lights: Illuminate your pathways and walkways with carefully placed pathway lights. This not only adds a touch of safety but also enhances the beauty of your outdoor space during nighttime.
- Lanterns: Incorporate lanterns of different sizes and styles for a charming and nostalgic look. Place them on tables, hang them from hooks, or line them along pathways for a cozy and welcoming ambiance.
- Floodlights: Install floodlights near the entrances and key areas of your outdoor space to provide ample illumination for safety and security purposes.
- Spotlights: Use spotlights to highlight specific features in your outdoor area, such as a beautiful tree, a sculpture, or a water feature. This adds drama and depth to your landscape design.
- Underwater Lights: If you have a pond, pool, or fountain, consider installing underwater lights. This creates a mesmerizing effect and allows you to enjoy the beauty of water features even at night.
- Deck and Step Lights: Light up your deck or outdoor stairs with built-in deck and step lights. This improves safety and makes your outdoor space more functional during nighttime gatherings.
- Wall Sconces: Install wall sconces on the exterior walls of your home or on outdoor structures to provide both practical lighting and an aesthetic touch.
- Fire and Candlelight: Incorporate the warm glow of fire and candlelight into your outdoor lighting scheme. This can be achieved through fire pits, outdoor fireplaces, torches, or even candle lanterns.
- Smart Lighting: Embrace technology by opting for smart lighting systems that allow you to control your outdoor lighting with ease. Set schedules, adjust brightness, and even change colors to create the desired ambiance.
When planning your outdoor lighting, consider the placement and intensity of the lights to create a balanced and inviting atmosphere. Also, opt for energy-efficient options such as LED lights, which are not only environmentally friendly but also cost-effective in the long run.
With well-designed outdoor lighting, you can enhance the beauty and functionality of your outdoor living space, making it a welcoming and enchanting place to relax and enjoy the night.
Section 9: Outdoor Decor and Accessories Ideas
Adding decor and accessories to your outdoor living space is the finishing touch that brings your outdoor area to life and showcases your personal style. Here are some outdoor decor and accessory ideas to inspire you:
- Outdoor Rugs: Define separate areas within your outdoor space by adding outdoor rugs. Choose rugs that are durable and weather-resistant to withstand the elements.
- Throw Pillows and Cushions: Spruce up your outdoor seating areas with colorful throw pillows and cushions. These not only add comfort but also add a pop of color and style.
- Outdoor Curtains: Create a sense of privacy and add a touch of elegance with outdoor curtains. Install them on a pergola or canopy to provide shade and create a cozy atmosphere.
- Artwork and Sculptures: Enhance the visual appeal of your outdoor space with artwork and sculptures. Choose pieces that are weather-resistant and make a statement in your landscape.
- Outdoor Mirrors: Reflect light and create the illusion of more space by incorporating outdoor mirrors. These can add depth and create a unique focal point in your outdoor area.
- Wind Chimes: Add a melodic touch to your outdoor space with wind chimes. Hang them from trees, decks, or pergolas to create a soothing and musical ambiance.
- Outdoor Clocks and Thermometers: Incorporate functional decor by adding outdoor clocks or thermometers. These not only serve a purpose but also add visual interest to your outdoor area.
- Outdoor Barware and Drinkware: Elevate your outdoor entertaining experience with stylish barware and drinkware. Opt for shatterproof options that are designed to withstand outdoor conditions.
- Outdoor Wall Art: Transform your outdoor walls into works of art by hanging outdoor wall art pieces. Choose designs that resonate with your style and enhance the overall ambiance of your space.
- Outdoor Planters and Flowerpots: Display your favorite plants and flowers in beautiful outdoor planters and flowerpots. Choose different sizes, shapes, and colors to create visual interest and showcase your green thumb.
When choosing outdoor decor and accessories, consider your overall aesthetic and the style of your space. Opt for weather-resistant materials and take into account the durability and maintenance required for each item.
By incorporating outdoor decor and accessories, you can personalize your outdoor living space and create a welcoming and inviting environment that reflects your personal taste and style.
Creating a well-designed and functional outdoor living room is an excellent way to enhance your home and make the most of your outdoor space. From seating and dining areas to entertainment options, fireplaces and fire pits, outdoor kitchens, bars, gardens, lighting, and decor, there are numerous possibilities to transform your outdoor area into a relaxing and enjoyable oasis.
Remember, the key to a successful outdoor living room is finding the right balance between comfort, functionality, and personal style. Invest in comfortable seating options, such as patio conversation sets, hammocks, or outdoor bean bags, to ensure you can unwind and enjoy the outdoors. Incorporate a dining area that suits your needs, whether it’s a classic patio dining set or a picnic-style arrangement for casual gatherings.
For entertainment, consider creating a dedicated outdoor entertainment area, complete with an outdoor theater, a fire pit lounge, or a game zone. These additions will liven up your outdoor gatherings and provide endless entertainment options for you and your guests.
Fireplaces and fire pits add warmth and a cozy ambiance to your outdoor space, extending its usability into cooler seasons. Outdoor kitchens and bars allow you to indulge in your passion for cooking while serving up delicious meals and refreshing drinks to your family and friends.
Don’t forget to incorporate greenery and gardens into your outdoor living area. Whether it’s a herb garden, flower beds, or even fruit trees, the addition of plants brings life, beauty, and relaxation to your outdoor oasis. Proper lighting, such as string lights, pathway lights, and spotlights, not only enhances the aesthetics but also provides safety and extends the usability of your outdoor space after dark.
Lastly, don’t underestimate the power of outdoor decor and accessories. Rugs, pillows, curtains, artwork, and other decorative elements add personality and style to your outdoor area, making it a reflection of your taste and creating a welcoming and inviting atmosphere.
With the combination of these elements, you can design a truly remarkable outdoor living room that will be a haven for relaxation, entertainment, and connection with nature. So, harness your creativity, embrace your personal style, and enjoy the beauty and benefits of your own outdoor oasis.