Remodeling A Kitchen: 28 Best Kitchen Remodel Ideas For Any Space
Modified: September 10, 2023
Discover 28 of the best kitchen remodel ideas for any space, including clever and stylish kitchen storage ideas. Transform your kitchen with these innovative solutions today!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to our comprehensive guide on remodeling a kitchen! The kitchen is often considered the heart of the home, a place where delicious meals are prepared and memories are made. Whether you have a small apartment kitchen or a spacious family kitchen, there are plenty of kitchen remodel ideas that can transform your space into a functional and stylish area.
When it comes to kitchen remodeling, there are countless design options to choose from. From cabinet designs to countertop materials, lighting fixtures to flooring choices – every decision you make will contribute to the overall look and feel of your dream kitchen. Finding the right combination of elements can create a kitchen that not only suits your needs but also reflects your personal style.
In this article, we will explore 28 of the best kitchen remodel ideas for any space. Whether you’re looking for a complete kitchen overhaul or just a few updates, we’ve got you covered. So let’s dive in and discover the wonderful world of kitchen remodeling!
Choosing the Right Layout
One of the most important decisions you’ll make when remodeling your kitchen is choosing the right layout. The layout will determine the flow and functionality of the space, so it’s essential to consider your needs and preferences.
An open concept kitchen is a popular choice for modern homes. This layout removes walls and barriers, creating a seamless connection between the kitchen, dining, and living areas. It’s perfect for those who love to entertain or want a spacious and airy feel in their kitchen.
A galley kitchen is a layout characterized by two parallel countertops with a walkway in between. It’s an efficient design for small or narrow spaces, as everything is easily accessible within arm’s reach. Galley kitchens can be stylish and functional by utilizing smart storage solutions and maximizing countertop space.
An L-shaped kitchen is a versatile layout that optimizes corner space. It consists of two perpendicular countertops that form an L-shape. This layout provides ample storage and countertop space, making it ideal for larger kitchens. It also allows for easy traffic flow and creates a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
A U-shaped kitchen is similar to an L-shaped kitchen, but with an additional countertop on the opposite side. This layout maximizes storage and countertop space, making it a great option for avid cooks or large families. It provides plenty of room for multiple cooks and encourages efficient workflow.
When choosing the right layout, consider the size and shape of your kitchen, as well as your lifestyle and cooking habits. Each layout offers its own advantages, so find the one that suits your needs and creates an inviting and functional space.
Cabinet Design Ideas
Cabinet design plays a crucial role in the overall aesthetics and functionality of your kitchen. Here are some popular cabinet design ideas to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Classic white cabinets: White cabinets are timeless and versatile, offering a clean and fresh look. They can brighten up the space and create a sense of openness. Pair them with sleek hardware and a contrasting countertop for a modern twist.
– Sleek modern cabinets: If you prefer a contemporary look, opt for sleek and minimalist cabinets. Choose materials like high-gloss laminate or lacquer finishes for a smooth and polished appearance. Add handleless doors and integrated appliances for a seamless and sleek design.
– Glass-front cabinets: Glass-front cabinets are perfect for showcasing your favorite dishes, glassware, or collectibles. They add visual interest and depth to the kitchen, while also creating an opportunity for decorative display. Consider adding interior cabinet lighting to enhance the display.
– Open shelving: For a more open and airy feel, consider incorporating open shelving into your kitchen design. Open shelves can be a practical solution for displaying frequently used items or decorative pieces. Just ensure to keep them organized and styled to avoid a cluttered look.
When choosing cabinet design, consider the style and theme of your kitchen, as well as your storage needs. Cabinets not only provide storage space but also contribute to the overall ambiance of the room. Choose a design that reflects your personal taste and complements the overall aesthetics of your kitchen.
Countertops are not only functional surfaces in the kitchen but also serve as a key design element. Here are some popular countertop options to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Granite countertops: Granite is a natural stone that is known for its durability and beauty. It comes in a wide range of colors and patterns, making it easy to find a granite countertop that matches your kitchen style. It is resistant to heat and scratches, making it a practical choice for any kitchen.
– Quartz countertops: Quartz countertops are engineered stone surfaces made from crushed quartz mixed with resin. They are available in a wide range of colors and patterns, including designs that mimic the look of natural stone. Quartz countertops are non-porous, which means they are resistant to stains, scratches, and bacteria.
– Marble countertops: Marble countertops are elegant and luxurious, offering a timeless and sophisticated look to any kitchen. However, marble is a porous material and requires regular sealing to prevent staining. It is more susceptible to scratches and etching from acidic spills, so it may require extra care and maintenance.
– Concrete countertops: Concrete countertops are a trendy choice for modern kitchens. They can be customized to fit any shape and size, allowing for a seamless and unique design. Concrete countertops can be stained or dyed in various colors, adding a touch of creativity to your kitchen.
When choosing a countertop material, consider factors such as durability, maintenance, and budget. Each material has its own advantages and considerations, so choose one that aligns with your lifestyle and design preferences. Remember, the countertop is a prominent feature in your kitchen, so it’s essential to choose one that you love and will stand the test of time.
A well-chosen backsplash can enhance the visual appeal of your kitchen while also protecting the walls from stains and splatters. Here are four popular backsplash ideas to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Subway tiles: Subway tiles are a classic and timeless choice for a backsplash. They are rectangular tiles typically laid out in a brick or subway pattern. Subway tiles come in various colors, from classic white to bold hues, allowing you to create different looks. They add a clean and sleek aesthetic to the kitchen and work well with both modern and traditional styles.
– Mosaic tiles: Mosaic tiles are small tiles arranged in a pattern or design. They are available in a wide range of materials, colors, and shapes, allowing for endless design possibilities. Mosaic tiles can create a stunning focal point in the kitchen and add texture and visual interest to the space.
– Patterned tiles: If you want to make a bold statement with your backsplash, consider using patterned tiles. Patterned tiles come in various intricate designs and can add a pop of personality to your kitchen. They work well in both contemporary and vintage-inspired kitchens, depending on the pattern and color scheme.
– Stainless steel backsplash: For a sleek and modern look, a stainless steel backsplash is an excellent choice. It is durable, easy to clean, and has a reflective surface that can make the kitchen feel more spacious. Stainless steel backsplashes are commonly found in commercial kitchens but can also be a stylish addition to residential kitchens.
When selecting a backsplash for your kitchen, think about the overall style and color palette. Consider the materials that will best complement your kitchen cabinets, countertops, and flooring. A well-chosen backsplash can tie the entire look of your kitchen together and add a touch of personality to the space.
The flooring in your kitchen not only needs to be durable and easy to clean but also contribute to the overall aesthetic of the space. Here are four flooring options to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Hardwood flooring: Hardwood flooring is a timeless and classic choice for kitchens. It adds warmth and beauty to the space and can complement a variety of design styles. Hardwood flooring is durable, long-lasting, and can be refinished multiple times to maintain its original appeal. However, it’s important to choose a hardwood species and finish that can withstand the demands of a kitchen environment.
– Tile flooring: Tile flooring is a practical and versatile option for kitchens. It comes in a wide range of colors, patterns, and sizes, allowing you to create a customized look. Tile is moisture-resistant, stain-resistant, and easy to clean, making it ideal for a busy kitchen. It also offers excellent heat resistance, which is important for a cooking space.
– Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring is an affordable and low-maintenance option for kitchen floors. It mimics the look of hardwood or tile flooring but at a fraction of the cost. Laminate flooring is durable, scratch-resistant, and easy to clean. It’s also available in a wide variety of styles and colors, making it easy to find one that suits your kitchen design.
– Cork flooring: Cork flooring is an eco-friendly and comfortable choice for kitchens. It is made from the bark of the cork oak tree and is renewable and sustainable. Cork flooring is soft and resilient, providing a comfortable surface to stand on while cooking. It is also naturally resistant to mold, mildew, and bacteria, making it a hygienic option for kitchens.
When selecting flooring for your kitchen, consider factors such as durability, ease of maintenance, and style compatibility with the rest of your kitchen design. Think about the level of foot traffic in your kitchen and how the flooring will stand up to spills and stains. Choose a flooring option that is not only functional but also enhances the overall beauty of your kitchen space.
The right lighting can transform your kitchen from a functional space into a captivating and inviting area. Here are four lighting fixture options to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Pendant lights: Pendant lights are a popular choice for kitchen islands and dining areas. They hang from the ceiling and provide focused task lighting. Pendant lights come in various styles, shapes, and sizes, allowing you to find the perfect fit for your kitchen design. They can add a touch of elegance and serve as a statement piece in your kitchen.
– Under-cabinet lighting: Under-cabinet lighting is a practical and functional option for task lighting in the kitchen. It provides direct illumination to the countertops, making it easier to prepare meals and see while cooking. LED strip lights or puck lights are commonly used for under-cabinet lighting and can create a warm and inviting ambiance in the kitchen.
– Recessed lighting: Recessed lighting, also known as can lights or downlights, is a versatile and sleek option for overall kitchen illumination. They are installed into the ceiling and provide ambient lighting throughout the space. Recessed lights are discreet and can be placed strategically to eliminate shadows and create a well-lit environment.
– Chandeliers: For a touch of luxury and glamour, consider installing a chandelier in your kitchen. Chandeliers are often used in dining areas or above kitchen islands to add a focal point and create an elegant atmosphere. They come in a variety of styles, from modern to traditional, allowing you to find one that matches your kitchen’s overall theme.
When choosing lighting fixtures for your kitchen, consider the functionality and ambiance you want to create. Combine different types of lighting to achieve a well-balanced and layered effect. It’s also important to consider energy efficiency by opting for LED bulbs and dimmer switches to adjust the brightness as needed.
Appliances and Technology
The right appliances and technology can enhance the functionality and efficiency of your kitchen. Here are four options to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Stainless steel appliances: Stainless steel appliances have become a staple in modern kitchens. They offer a sleek and contemporary look, and their stainless steel finish is resistant to fingerprints and smudges. Stainless steel appliances are also durable and easy to clean, making them a popular choice for homeowners.
– Energy-efficient appliances: Energy-efficient appliances not only help reduce your carbon footprint, but they also save you money on energy bills. Look for appliances that are ENERGY STAR certified, as they meet strict energy efficiency standards. Energy-efficient appliances consume less electricity or gas, making them a smart choice for environmentally conscious homeowners.
– Smart home technology: Smart home technology is revolutionizing the way we interact with our kitchen appliances. From voice-activated assistants to smart refrigerators that can create shopping lists, smart home technology offers convenience and control at your fingertips. You can control your appliances remotely, set timers, and even receive notifications on your smartphone.
– Built-in wine cooler: If you’re a wine enthusiast, consider adding a built-in wine cooler to your kitchen. A wine cooler provides a proper storage environment for your wine collection, ensuring that it is kept at the ideal temperature and humidity levels. It adds a touch of sophistication to your kitchen and allows you to entertain guests with ease.
When choosing appliances and technology for your kitchen, consider your lifestyle, cooking habits, and budget. Choose appliances that offer the features and functionalities that align with your needs. Additionally, consider the aesthetics and compatibility with the overall kitchen design.
Color Scheme Ideas
The color scheme you choose for your kitchen sets the mood and creates a visual impact. Here are four color scheme ideas to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Neutral color palette: A neutral color palette is a timeless and versatile choice for kitchens. Shades of whites, grays, and beige create a clean and sophisticated look. A neutral color scheme allows you to easily change up the decor and accessories to suit your style. It also provides a blank canvas for highlighting other elements, such as bold backsplashes or colorful kitchenware.
– Bold and vibrant colors: If you want to make a statement and infuse your kitchen with energy, consider using bold and vibrant colors. Think shades of red, blue, green, or yellow. You can use these colors on the cabinets, walls, or backslashes to create a vibrant and lively atmosphere. However, it’s important to balance bold colors with neutral tones to avoid overwhelming the space.
– Monochromatic scheme: A monochromatic color scheme involves using different shades of the same color to create a harmonious and cohesive look. For example, using various shades of gray or blue can create a calming and sophisticated kitchen. This approach adds depth and visual interest while maintaining a sense of unity. Incorporate different textures and materials to enhance the monochromatic effect.
– Two-tone kitchen: A two-tone kitchen involves using two contrasting colors for the cabinets or countertops. For example, pairing white upper cabinets with dark lower cabinets creates a striking and contemporary look. Two-tone kitchens offer a modern and dynamic aesthetic, allowing you to showcase your personal style and create visual interest.
When selecting a color scheme for your kitchen, consider factors such as the size of the space, natural lighting, and your personal preferences. Look for inspiration in magazines, websites, or even nature. Pay attention to the colors that evoke the mood and ambiance you want to create in your kitchen.
Kitchen Island Options
A kitchen island is a versatile and functional addition to any kitchen. It provides extra countertop space, storage, and even seating. Here are four kitchen island options to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Large center island: A large center island is a show-stopping feature in a spacious kitchen. It offers ample countertop space for meal preparation, cooking, and even hosting gatherings. A large center island can also accommodate a sink, cooktop, or additional storage. It becomes the focal point of the kitchen and creates a gathering spot for family and friends.
– Portable kitchen island: If you have a smaller kitchen or want flexibility in your layout, a portable kitchen island is a great option. These islands are on wheels, allowing you to move them around as needed. They provide additional workspace and storage when required and can easily be tucked away when not in use. Portable kitchen islands are also ideal for those who may be renting or want the ability to rearrange their kitchen layout.
– Multifunctional island: A multifunctional island is designed with specific features to enhance the functionality of your kitchen. It may include built-in appliances, such as a wine cooler or microwave, or have additional storage compartments for specific purposes, such as a pull-out spice rack or a hidden trash bin. A multifunctional island maximizes the usability of your kitchen and adds convenience to your cooking routine.
– Kitchen island with seating: A kitchen island with seating is a great option for those who love to entertain or have a quick meal in the kitchen. It can be designed with a countertop overhang to accommodate bar stools or extended to create a comfortable dining area. A kitchen island with seating serves as a casual gathering spot, allowing for easy interaction and conversation with guests.
When choosing a kitchen island, consider the size of your kitchen, your lifestyle, and how you plan to use the space. It should blend seamlessly with the overall design and flow of your kitchen. Whether you opt for a large center island or a portable one, a kitchen island adds functionality and style to your kitchen.
Effective storage solutions are crucial for maintaining an organized and clutter-free kitchen. Here are four storage solutions to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Pull-out pantry: A pull-out pantry is a great way to maximize storage space in your kitchen. It offers easy access to canned goods, dry ingredients, and other pantry items. With multiple shelves or baskets that slide out, you can efficiently utilize every inch of the pantry. A pull-out pantry is especially useful in small kitchens where traditional pantry space may be limited.
– Drawer organizers: Drawer organizers are essential for keeping your kitchen utensils, cutlery, and tools neatly organized. They come in various configurations to accommodate different items and can prevent clutter and mess. Invest in high-quality, adjustable drawer organizers to customize the space according to your needs. This way, you can easily locate items without rummaging through a jumble of utensils.
– Corner cabinet storage: Corner cabinets can be challenging to utilize effectively. Fortunately, there are several storage solutions designed specifically for corner cabinets. Lazy Susans or rotating shelves make it easy to access items in the back, while pull-out shelves or swing-out racks fully utilize the space. Consider installing corner cabinet storage solutions to make the most of this often underutilized area.
– Hanging pot rack: A hanging pot rack not only adds a stylish element to your kitchen but also frees up cabinet space. By hanging your pots and pans, you can create an attractive display while keeping them easily accessible. Hanging pot racks come in various styles – from overhead ceiling-mounted racks to wall-mounted racks. Choose a design that complements your kitchen aesthetic and consider adding hooks for utensils and lids.
When planning your kitchen remodel, take stock of your storage needs and consider incorporating these storage solutions to optimize space and organization. Effective storage solutions can help declutter your kitchen, improve efficiency, and make cooking and meal prepping an enjoyable experience.
Creative Decor Ideas
Injecting creativity and personal style into your kitchen decor can transform it into a unique and inviting space. Here are four creative decor ideas to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– Wall art and prints: Adding wall art and prints is an excellent way to bring personality and color into your kitchen. Choose artwork that reflects your interests or complements your kitchen theme. Whether it’s a vibrant abstract painting, a vintage-inspired poster, or a collection of framed family recipes, wall art can make a statement and create a focal point in your kitchen.
– Kitchen herb garden: Incorporating a kitchen herb garden adds a fresh and natural element to your space. You can grow your favorite herbs in pots or vertical planters and place them on a windowsill or wall-mounted shelf. Not only does it provide easy access to fresh herbs while cooking, but it also adds a touch of greenery and a delightful aroma to your kitchen.
– Vintage accessories: Embrace the charm and nostalgia of vintage accessories in your kitchen decor. Display antique dishes, copper cookware, or retro kitchen gadgets on open shelves or as decorative items on your countertops. These vintage touches add character and create a unique ambiance that pays homage to bygone eras.
– Accent wall with wallpaper: Consider adding an accent wall in your kitchen with wallpaper. Choose designs that complement your overall kitchen theme, such as floral patterns, geometric shapes, or textured wallpapers. An accent wall can create visual interest and act as a backdrop to showcase other elements in your kitchen, such as open shelves or a statement range hood.
When incorporating creative decor ideas into your kitchen, consider the overall balance and cohesion of the space. Choose items and designs that speak to your personal style and enhance the atmosphere you want to create. Creative decor ideas can truly make your kitchen a reflection of your unique taste and preferences.
Outdoor Kitchen Ideas
Extend your living space and take your culinary adventures outdoors with an outdoor kitchen. Here are four outdoor kitchen ideas to consider for your kitchen remodel:
– BBQ grill station: A BBQ grill station is a staple in every outdoor kitchen. It allows you to cook delicious grilled meals and enjoy the great outdoors. Choose a high-quality grill that suits your cooking needs, whether it’s a gas, charcoal, or pellet grill. Consider adding extra features like side burners or a rotisserie for added versatility.
– Outdoor sink and fridge: Incorporating an outdoor sink and fridge in your outdoor kitchen brings both convenience and functionality. An outdoor sink makes food preparation and clean-up a breeze, while an outdoor fridge keeps drinks and perishable items easily accessible. Opt for stainless steel appliances that are built to withstand outdoor elements.
– Covered patio kitchen: If you want to create a sheltered outdoor kitchen area, consider a covered patio kitchen. It provides protection from the elements and allows you to enjoy cooking and dining outdoors regardless of the weather. Install a roof or pergola and consider adding ceiling fans, lighting, and even heaters to create a comfortable outdoor space year-round.
– Pizza oven and outdoor dining area: For the pizza lovers and entertainers, a pizza oven can be a fantastic addition to your outdoor kitchen. Whether you prefer a wood-fired or gas-fired oven, it adds a unique and delicious cooking experience to your outdoor gatherings. Pair it with an outdoor dining area, complete with comfortable seating and a dining table, to create an inviting and enjoyable space for al fresco meals.
When designing your outdoor kitchen, consider factors such as your available space, budget, and the activities you enjoy. Think about the layout and flow of the outdoor kitchen, ensuring that it meets your cooking and entertaining needs. An outdoor kitchen extends your living space and provides a relaxing and enjoyable environment to cook, dine, and entertain in the great outdoors.
Remodeling a kitchen offers the opportunity to create a space that is not only functional but also reflects your personal style and enhances your cooking experience. With a wide array of design options, you can transform your kitchen into a stunning and organized oasis.
Choosing the right layout is the foundation of a successful kitchen remodel. Whether you opt for an open concept design, a galley kitchen, an L-shaped layout, or a U-shaped configuration, it is essential to consider the size and shape of your space and how it aligns with your lifestyle and cooking habits.
Cabinet design plays a significant role in the overall aesthetics of your kitchen. Classic white cabinets, sleek modern cabinets, glass-front cabinets, or open shelving each offer a unique look and storage solution. Consider your desired level of functionality and the style that best complements your kitchen design.
Countertops are an essential element that can elevate the style and functionality of your kitchen. Whether you choose granite countertops for a luxurious feel, quartz countertops for durability, marble countertops for elegance, or concrete countertops for a modern touch, selecting the right material is crucial for both aesthetics and practicality.
Backsplash options provide the perfect opportunity to add visual interest to your kitchen. From subway tiles for a timeless look to mosaic tiles for a unique design, patterned tiles for a bold statement, or a stainless steel backsplash for a sleek and modern feel – the choices are endless.
Flooring choices should not be overlooked when planning your kitchen remodel. Hardwood flooring brings warmth and beauty, tile flooring offers durability and versatility, laminate flooring provides affordability and ease of maintenance, while cork flooring is eco-friendly and comfortable underfoot.
The right lighting fixtures can change the entire ambiance of your kitchen. Pendant lights, under-cabinet lighting, recessed lighting, or chandeliers each serve a distinct purpose and create a well-lit environment that enhances both functionality and visual appeal.
Appliances and technology can improve efficiency and convenience in your kitchen. Stainless steel appliances add a modern touch, energy-efficient appliances reduce environmental impact, smart home technology offers seamless control, and a built-in wine cooler adds a touch of luxury and sophistication.
The color scheme you choose sets the tone for your kitchen. Whether you opt for a neutral color palette for a timeless look, bold and vibrant colors for a vibrant and energetic atmosphere, a monochromatic scheme for a cohesive aesthetic, or a two-tone kitchen for modern contrast, choose a color scheme that resonates with your style.
A well-designed kitchen island can provide additional workspace, storage, and even seating. From a large center island for a spacious kitchen to a portable island for flexibility, a multifunctional island for efficient use of space, or a kitchen island with seating for a communal atmosphere – there is an option to fit every kitchen size and style.
Storage solutions are essential for an organized and clutter-free kitchen. Pull-out pantries, drawer organizers, corner cabinet storage, and hanging pot racks are just a few options to consider for maximizing storage space and keeping your kitchen tidy.
Creative decor ideas add personality and charm to your kitchen. Whether you choose to incorporate wall art and prints, a kitchen herb garden, vintage accessories, or an accent wall with wallpaper, creative decor elements allow you to express your style and create a unique and inviting space.
If you enjoy outdoor cooking and entertaining, an outdoor kitchen can be a perfect addition. From a BBQ grill station for mouth-watering grilled meals to an outdoor sink and fridge for convenience, a covered patio kitchen for year-round enjoyment, or a pizza oven and outdoor dining area for a memorable dining experience, an outdoor kitchen elevates your cooking and entertaining to a whole new level.
In conclusion, a kitchen remodel offers endless possibilities to create a space that is functional, aesthetically pleasing, and a true reflection of your personal style. By carefully considering the layout, design elements, colors, lighting, and storage solutions, you can transform your kitchen into a haven where you can unleash your culinary creativity and enjoy memorable moments with family and friends.