Home>Storage Ideas>Kitchen Storage>Best Stove Guards For Homeowners With Young Children
Best Stove Guards For Homeowners With Young Children
Modified: February 7, 2023
Keep your kids safe in the kitchen by using these functional stove guards! Aside from promoting child safety, they also make kitchens look more aesthetic.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Once your baby learns how to walk, you’ll always have to keep a close eye on them. They are naturally curious, so they’ll try to touch anything they get their hands on. This curiosity would make it dangerous to leave them alone in the kitchen. If they were to accidentally touch the stove; they could end up burning and injuring themselves. To protect them from such housekeeping hazards, make use of stove guards.
What is a Stove Guard?
If you don’t have anyone to help you keep your kids at bay while cooking, you’ll find stove guards useful. With it, your children will be safe from any injury since the stove guard prevents them from touching hot surfaces. They come in different styles — from simple knob plastic guards to exquisite bamboo top covers. Some are more advanced and equipped with sensors to detect fire and other kitchen hazards. This type of stove guard usually has an alarm and automatically turns off all stove functions if no one responds after it rings. Families with children and people who live alone will benefit from this innovative stove guard.
People Who Search For Stove Guards Also Search For
Must-Have Stove Guards
Studies have shown that children aged 5 to 10 are at most risk of scald and fire burns. It is during this age that kids start to get curious about their surroundings. In fact, of all children aged 5 to 10, 65% of them end up getting hospitalized due to kitchen hazards. Thankfully, the good news is that burn-related injuries can be decreased with the help of these stove guards.
Kids are not aware of the potential dangers in the kitchen. Even if you tell them to stay away from the stove while you are cooking, they will still try to get near you. They are curious about what you are doing, so they’d want to take part in it. If no one else is around to distract them, use this Stove Guard from Totshield. It is a plastic guard panel that prevents kids from touching hot surfaces.
This stove guard doesn’t just cover the knobs and burners; it also locks the oven door. Your kids won’t be able to turn the stove on with this stove cover. Moreover, the best part about this product is the installation. After assembling it, you only have to insert the guard panel on the oven door. No screws or adhesives are required!
- Easy-to-install stove guard
- Clear, plastic panel guard
- Tilted shield dimensions are 33.5 inches x 9 inches
- Will fit a 30-inch gas/ electric free-standing stove
- Panel guard doesn’t heat much
- Plastic design matches stoves of any style
- Ideal for most free-standing gas and electric stoves
- Only suitable for stoves with a bar-type oven door handle
Not all stoves are used for cooking. Some function as an extra heating source to keep homes warm and comfortable — just like a pellet stove. It’s like a traditional chimney, but instead of burning natural wood with fire, it uses electric igniters to burn biomass pellets or compressed wood.
Even though a pellet stove doesn’t get too hot, it is still recommended to place a screen guard in front of it. Use this Screen Guard from Minuteman International to keep your kids safe by preventing them from moving the knobs and opening the burn pot. It also has a stabilizing rod that prevents the screen from tipping over.
- Foldable screen
- Stabilizing rod
- 88 inches x 30 inches
- Made of durable wrought iron and expanded mesh
- Foldable design makes it easier to store inside a cabinet
- Has sharp bottom, so it can leave floor scratches
It is not practical to invest in a free-standing stove if you have limited space. In such cases, a tabletop stove is the better choice. You can place it on top of the counter and use the extra space underneath to store food and kitchen supplies.
Moreover, a tabletop stove is the safer option for families with kids. As there’s no oven underneath, you may put it on a tall table to prevent the kids from reaching up to the stove. As an extra precaution, use this Aluminum Stove Guard too. It’s made from heat-resistant materials, so even if your kids accidentally touch it, they are less likely to get burned. It’s truly one of the best stove guards for child safety.
- Modern design
- Adjustable stove guard
- Strong, heat-resistant adhesive
- 3M VHB adhesive tape
- Holds a 75-pound child
- Will fit a 24-inch or 36-inch standard stove
- Can be adjusted from 22.5 inches to 38.5 inches
- Looks great in the kitchen
- Can be washed with just soap and water
- Made of durable anodized aluminum, so it will last long
- Doesn’t just cover the front of the stove but also the sides
- Tends to get warm while cooking
Free-standing stoves are great. You get to cook more meals at once, and there’s an oven for baking cakes and pastries. However, this type of stove also has some downsides. For instance, small crumbs can fall into the narrow gaps between the stove and the counter, which will be difficult to clean. If you don’t want mold to start growing in those narrow gaps, consider using a silicone gap cover.
This Range Gap Cover from KindGa is made from flexible silicone, so you can easily cut it to fit the stove. Plus, cleaning it is easy; you only have to remove it from the stove and use dishwashing liquid to remove the dirt and grime. This stove gap guard is also an added layer of protection to ensure your child’s safety in the kitchen.
- Aesthetic, streamlined design
- Flexible silicone stove gap guard
- Made of 100% food-grade silicone
- Covers a 3 mm to 25 mm gap
- Fits 21-inch and 25-inch stove
- Stove gap cover size is 30 inches
- Money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t take too much kitchen space
- Lighter guard colors stain easily
Here’s another suitable stove guard for free-standing stoves: the Adhesive Stove Guard from Prince Lionheart. Stove guards with regular adhesives do not stick well, but this product is different; it uses a strong 3M double-sided tape to ensure the guard panel won’t fall off.
Moreover, it is made of polycarbonate plastic, so it won’t easily melt under high temperatures. This type of material also has self-extinguishing properties. Simply put, the stove guard won’t catch fire while you’re using the stove.
- Adjustable cooker guard
- Strong 3M double-sided adhesive
- Can be adjusted from 24 inches to 36 inches
- Overall product dimensions are 17.4 inches x 6.3 inches x 1.42 inches
- Self-extinguishing plastic stove guard
- Made from durable polycarbonate plastic
- Adhesive will need to be replaced often
Stove Knob Guards
Stove knobs are designed to make cooking convenient. There’s no need to use lighters or matches as you only have to twist the knob to light up the stove! Despite its convenience, these knobs can also be potential kitchen hazards. Your child might unknowingly turn the stove on while playing in the kitchen. Fortunately, you can avoid such accidents with these stove knob guards.
One way you can baby-proof your kitchen is by removing the knobs on the stove. Don’t worry, because you can easily remove a stove knob with just a pull. But if the idea seems jarring, you may use these Stove Knob Covers from Heart of Tafiti.
Thanks to its clear, plastic design, you can still see the temperature marks on the stove with these covers in use. Plus, no screws and other hardware tools are needed to install it. You just have to stick the adhesive on the knob cover and attach it to the stove.
- Clear, plastic design
- Strong adhesive tape
- Package includes 5 stove covers and 5 3M VHB Tape
- Fits stove knobs with a height of 1.89 inches and a diameter of 2.56 inches
- No hassle installations
- Resists high temperatures up to 120 degrees
- Deters pets and children from twisting the stove knob
- Tape requires 24h to completely adhere
If you want a more stylish stove knob cover, we recommend the ones from Safety 1st. These covers have a classic black tint so they go well with any kitchen decor. Aesthetics aside, these stove guards are also durable. It is made from heat-resistant plastic, so it won’t melt when exposed to high temperatures.
You’ll also love its hinged lid feature. This makes it easier to open and close the stove cover while cooking. This way, you won’t have to remove the entire cover to use the stove knobs!
- Beautiful black tint
- Clear, stove knob covers
- Item weight is 3.53 ounces
- Overall dimensions are 7.79 inches x 7.49 inches x 2.19 inches
- Installed with a screw to ensure a secure mount
- No power tools needed
- Has a universal design to fit most modern stoves
- Fragile hinge
If stove knob covers are not your style, consider using these Silicone Knob Locks from Cardiff. Instead of covering the knobs, it locks them in place. They are made of food-grade silicone, so they won’t leave unsightly scratches on your stove. Just like most stove guards, these knob locks are also durable and heat-resistant.
- Package includes 5 silicone knob locks
- Colors available are black, red, gold, and gray
- Available in different sizes
- Design works well with almost any kitchen decor
- Rotate-lock feature can be used as an indication that the stove is turned on/off
- Rubber may be too large or stiff
Stove Top Covers
Not all stoves come complete with a glass top. However, these covers are great investments to not only promote child safety but also create counter space. Some stove top covers can double up as cutting boards which are useful during meal preparations.
Here are some of the best stove top covers that we recommend:
We’ll start with these Stove Top Burner Covers from Mallowa Store. Made from enameled metal, this stove cover helps protect the burners while keeping the stove scratch-free. Enameled metal has heat-resistant properties, so this can be used to protect kids from burn-related injuries. It also has an exquisite marble stone design that can help improve the overall look of your kitchen.
- Smooth enameled metal
- Decorative marble design
- Package includes 2 burner covers
- 11 ¼ inches x 19 ⅝ inches x 8 inches
- Easy to clean
- Adds extra counter space
- Makes kitchens look more aesthetically pleasing
- Doesn’t fit large stoves
Even though electric stoves are safer than gas stoves, the latter can still be a potential kitchen hazard. It takes time for an electric stove to cool down, so there is a high chance for a kid to get his hands burned even when the stove is turned off. To avoid such accidents, use this LARSIC Stove Cover. Made from a thick, heat-resistant rubber sheet, this protective cover is great for electric stoves. Plus, it can be hung on a shelf-mounted hook when not in use!
- Dishwasher safe
- Waterproof surface
- Heat-resistant, anti-slip stove cover
- 28.5 inches x 20.5 inches
- Package includes 1 electric stove cover and 3 adhesive hooks
- Money-back guarantee
- Classic black color
- Doesn’t fit large stoves
Even though bamboo looks simple, it still appears exquisite. Its bare wooden surface exudes freshness and warmth, making kitchens look more aesthetically pleasing. Moreover, bamboo can withstand high temperatures, thus it would be a fantastic stovetop cover. Just like other stove guards, this product feels light so you can easily move it around the kitchen.
- Built-in juice groove
- Light, durable bamboo
- Package includes 2 bamboo burner covers
- 21.25 inches x 11.5 inches x 2.5 inches
- Has a juice groove to avoid dirtying your stove
- The plastic feet keep the bamboo stove top cover stable
Despite being a hands-on parent, it is impossible to watch over your kid 24/7. Each day you juggle child-care and household chores. Not to mention, you still have office work to attend to. Often times, you are too busy to notice that they’ve already snuck in the kitchen and played with the stove. It’s because of these situations that you have to child-proof your kitchen with stove guards.