Apartment Bedroom Ideas: 10 Stylish Tips For Small Spaces
Modified: August 26, 2023
Looking for stylish apartment bedroom ideas? Check out these 10 tips for maximizing storage in small spaces. Transform your bedroom into a clutter-free oasis with our expert advice!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to our article on apartment bedroom ideas for small spaces! Living in a compact apartment or a cozy studio doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style and functionality when it comes to your bedroom. With a little creativity and smart planning, you can transform your small bedroom into a peaceful sanctuary that reflects your personal style and provides ample storage space for all your belongings.
In this article, we will explore ten stylish tips to help you make the most of your limited bedroom space. From clever storage solutions to space-saving furniture and design tricks, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and discover how to create a stylish and functional bedroom oasis in your small apartment.
Use a Neutral Color Palette
When it comes to small apartment bedrooms, using a neutral color palette is key. Neutral colors, such as whites, creams, grays, and light pastels, create an illusion of spaciousness and make the room feel airy and open. They also provide a calm and soothing atmosphere, perfect for a bedroom where relaxation is paramount.
Start by painting the walls in a light neutral shade to brighten up the space and make it feel larger. If you’re hesitant to go all neutral, you can add pops of color through accessories or a statement piece of furniture.
Another way to incorporate a neutral color palette is by selecting bedding and curtains in soft hues. Opt for bedding in shades of white, beige, or light gray, and choose sheer or light-colored curtains that allow natural light to filter through.
To add depth and interest to your neutral bedroom, layer different textures and materials. For example, mix and match fabrics like linen, cotton, or velvet to create a cozy and inviting feel. Incorporate plush rugs, textured throw pillows, and curtains with subtle patterns to add visual interest without overwhelming the space.
A neutral color palette not only visually expands the room but also allows you the flexibility to change your bedroom’s look by simply swapping out accessories or adding a few pops of color to suit your mood or the changing seasons.
By using a neutral color palette, you can create a serene and timeless bedroom design that feels spacious and inviting, even in the smallest of spaces. So, embrace the power of neutrals and watch your bedroom transform into a stylish retreat.
Maximize Natural Light
In a small apartment bedroom, maximizing natural light is essential to create a bright and airy atmosphere. Natural light not only enhances the visual appeal of the space but also makes it feel larger and more inviting. Here are some tips to help you maximize natural light in your bedroom:
1. Keep the windows clear: Remove any obstructions like heavy curtains or blinds that block natural light from streaming into the room. Instead, opt for light-colored or sheer curtains that allow sunlight to filter through while still providing privacy.
2. Use mirrors strategically: Mirrors are a fantastic tool to reflect and multiply natural light in a room. Place a large mirror on a wall opposite a window to bounce light across the room and make the space appear more expansive.
3. Opt for light-colored walls: Light-colored walls, such as whites or pale pastels, help to bounce light around the room, creating a bright and airy feel. Consider using paint with a satin or glossy finish as it reflects more light compared to matte finishes.
4. Avoid heavy furniture near windows: If possible, avoid placing bulky furniture, like dressers or bookshelves, in front of windows. This can block natural light from entering the room. Instead, position these items away from the windows to maintain an open and light-filled space.
5. Trim foliage outside the windows: If you have plants or trees outside your bedroom windows, make sure to trim them regularly to prevent them from blocking natural light. Prune any overhanging branches that may cast shadows and hinder sunlight from entering your space.
6. Utilize light-reflecting surfaces: Incorporate light-reflecting surfaces like glass, mirrored furniture, or metallic accents to further enhance the natural light in your bedroom. These surfaces will help bounce light around the room, making it feel brighter and more spacious.
7. Choose light-colored flooring: Consider light-colored flooring options, such as light wood or light-colored carpets, to reflect natural light and make your bedroom feel larger. Darker flooring tends to absorb light, making the space feel smaller and more confined.
By implementing these strategies, you can harness the power of natural light to create a bright and inviting ambiance in your small apartment bedroom. Embrace the sun’s rays and let them breathe new life into your space.
Optimize Storage Solutions
In a small apartment bedroom, effective storage solutions are crucial to keep the space clutter-free and organized. Here are some tips to help you optimize storage in your bedroom:
1. Utilize vertical space: Maximize your storage by utilizing the vertical space in your bedroom. Install shelves or wall-mounted cabinets above your bed or along empty walls to store books, decor items, or folded clothing. This not only frees up floor space but also adds visual interest to your room.
2. Invest in multi-functional furniture: Opt for furniture pieces that serve multiple purposes. Consider a platform bed with built-in drawers or storage compartments underneath to store extra linens, pillows, or seasonal clothing. Additionally, look for ottomans or benches with hidden storage space to store extra blankets or shoes.
3. Use under-bed storage: The area under your bed is valuable storage real estate. Invest in under-bed storage containers or use bed risers to create additional space for stowing away items like shoes, out-of-season clothing, or extra bedding.
4. Get creative with closet space: If you have a closet in your bedroom, maximize its functionality by using organizational tools like hanging shelves, shoe racks, or drawer dividers. Make use of every inch of space by utilizing vertical hanging space and installing additional rods or hooks for storing accessories.
5. Declutter regularly: Keeping a small bedroom organized requires regular decluttering. Take the time to go through your belongings and donate or discard items you no longer need or use. Minimizing clutter will not only free up space but also create a more serene and calming environment.
6. Use storage bins and baskets: Invest in stylish storage bins and baskets that can be placed on shelves, under the bed, or in closets. These containers are perfect for storing smaller items such as accessories, electronics, or toiletries and help keep things neat and organized.
7. Make use of wall space: Don’t forget to utilize your wall space for storage. Install hooks or pegboards to hang jewelry, hats, or bags. Hang floating shelves to display decor items or to store books and smaller accessories.
By implementing these storage solutions, you can optimize the space in your small bedroom and create a more organized and clutter-free environment. Remember, a well-organized space not only looks visually appealing but also promotes a sense of peace and tranquility.
Utilize Multifunctional Furniture
In a small apartment bedroom, it’s essential to make the most of every square inch of space. One effective way to do this is by incorporating multifunctional furniture. These smart and versatile pieces serve dual purposes, allowing you to maximize functionality without sacrificing style. Here are some ideas for utilizing multifunctional furniture in your small bedroom:
1. Storage beds: Invest in a storage bed that comes with built-in drawers or shelves. These beds provide valuable storage space for clothing, linens, or other items, eliminating the need for extra furniture like dressers or storage bins. Look for beds with hydraulic or easy-lift mechanisms for convenient access to the storage compartments.
2. Sleeper sofas: If your bedroom also doubles as a living space, consider incorporating a sleeper sofa. During the day, it provides comfortable seating, and at night, it can be easily transformed into a cozy bed for guests to sleep on. Look for sofa designs that offer hidden storage compartments for additional functionality.
3. Fold-down desks: For those who need a workspace in their small bedroom, fold-down desks are a fantastic option. These desks can be mounted on the wall and folded away when not in use, saving valuable floor space. They provide a designated work area without compromising on space or style.
4. Nesting side tables: Instead of traditional nightstands, opt for nesting side tables. These compact tables can be stacked together when not in use, occupying minimal space. They provide surfaces for bedside lamps, books, and other essentials while adding a stylish touch to your bedroom.
5. Ottoman with storage: Incorporate an ottoman that doubles as a storage unit. These pieces not only provide a comfortable place to sit but also offer hidden storage space for blankets, pillows, or other items. Choose ottomans with removable lids for easy access to the storage compartment.
6. Wall-mounted shelves with desk functionality: If you need a desk or workspace in your bedroom but don’t have the floor space for a traditional desk, consider wall-mounted shelves with a fold-down desk functionality. These shelves provide storage for books and decor items and can be unfolded to reveal a workspace when needed.
7. Folding dining table: If you have limited space in your bedroom and need a dining area, consider a folding dining table. These tables can be expanded or folded down depending on your needs, providing a functional eating space without taking up much room when not in use.
By incorporating multifunctional furniture, you can make the most of your small bedroom space and create a versatile and functional area that meets all your needs. Choose pieces that blend seamlessly with your style and enhance the overall aesthetic of your bedroom.
Create a Focal Point
In a small apartment bedroom, creating a focal point is an effective way to add visual interest and draw attention away from the limited space. By establishing a captivating focal point, you can give the illusion of a larger and more inviting room. Here are some ideas to help you create a focal point in your small bedroom:
1. Accent wall: Paint or wallpaper one wall in your bedroom with a bold color or eye-catching pattern. This wall will instantly grab attention and become the focal point of the room. Choose a color or pattern that complements your overall design theme and adds personality to your space.
2. Headboard statement: Make a statement with your headboard. Opt for a bold, oversized headboard in a luxurious fabric or a unique shape that stands out against the surrounding walls. This will instantly become the focal point of your bedroom and add a touch of elegance to the space.
3. Gallery wall: Create a gallery wall with a collection of artwork or photographs. Choose a prominent wall and arrange a combination of framed prints, paintings, or photographs in different sizes and shapes. This gallery wall will become the focal point of the room and showcase your personal style.
4. Statement lighting: Install a unique and eye-catching lighting fixture as the focal point of your bedroom. Whether it’s a modern chandelier, a vintage pendant light, or an artistic wall sconce, the lighting fixture will not only illuminate the room but also become a stunning centerpiece that catches the eye.
5. Statement furniture piece: Incorporate a standout furniture piece that becomes the focal point of the room. It could be a stylish upholstered chair, an antique dresser, or a vibrant-colored accent table. This statement piece will add personality and create a visual focal point in your small bedroom.
6. Canopy or drapes: Install a canopy above your bed or add floor-to-ceiling drapes that frame the bed area. This will create a sense of height and grandeur, making the bed the focal point of the room. Choose fabrics and colors that complement your overall bedroom design and add a touch of elegance.
7. Statement rug: Lay down a bold and vibrant area rug that anchors the room and becomes a focal point. Choose a rug with a unique pattern, texture, or color that adds visual interest to the space and ties together the overall design.
Creating a focal point in your small bedroom is all about adding that element of surprise and visual interest. Experiment with different ideas and let your personal style shine through. Remember, the focal point will draw attention away from the limited space and make your bedroom feel more captivating and inviting.
In a small apartment bedroom, incorporating mirrors is a brilliant trick to create the illusion of more space and light. Mirrors have the ability to reflect light and make a room appear larger, brighter, and more open. Here are some ways to incorporate mirrors in your small bedroom:
1. Full-length mirror: Place a full-length mirror against a wall or hang it on the back of your bedroom door. This will not only serve its functional purpose but also create the illusion of a larger space. The mirror will reflect the room and add depth to the area, making it feel more expansive.
2. Mirrored closet doors: If you have a closet in your bedroom, consider replacing the traditional doors with mirrored ones. This will instantly double the amount of light in the room and make it feel more spacious. The mirrored doors will reflect light and create a beautiful visual effect in your small bedroom.
3. Mirrored furniture: Incorporate furniture pieces that have mirrored surfaces, such as a nightstand or a dresser. These pieces will reflect light and create a glamorous and elegant look in your small bedroom. The mirrored furniture will also blend seamlessly with various design styles, from modern to vintage.
4. Mirror gallery wall: Create a striking focal point by arranging a gallery wall of mirrors. Choose mirrors in different shapes, sizes, and styles and arrange them on a prominent wall in your bedroom. This mirror gallery wall will not only add visual interest but also reflect light and create a sense of depth in the room.
5. Mirror behind the bed: Place a large mirror behind your bed as a statement piece. This will not only serve as a decorative element but also reflect light and make the room feel more open and spacious. Ensure the mirror is securely mounted to the wall and positioned at a height that visually expands the space.
6. Mirrored backsplash or tiles: If you have a vanity or a desk in your bedroom, consider incorporating a mirrored backsplash or using mirrored tiles. This will add a touch of glamour and reflect light throughout the room. The mirrored surface will also make your space appear larger and more luxurious.
7. Mirrored accent pieces: Incorporate smaller mirrored accent pieces like decorative trays, candle holders, or picture frames. These items will add sparkle and shine to your bedroom while reflecting light and creating a sense of openness.
By incorporating mirrors in your small apartment bedroom, you can enhance the perceived size of the space and bring in more natural light. Experiment with different mirror placements and styles to find the perfect balance that suits your aesthetic and makes your bedroom feel more spacious and inviting.
Choose Space-Saving Bedding Options
In a small apartment bedroom, it’s important to choose bedding options that not only provide comfort but also help save valuable floor space. By selecting space-saving bedding solutions, you can optimize the functionality of your bedroom. Here are some ideas for space-saving bedding options:
1. Loft bed: Consider a loft bed for your small bedroom. This type of bed elevates the sleeping area, creating an open space underneath that can be utilized for various purposes. You can use the space below as a home office, a reading nook, or a storage area for furniture pieces.
2. Trundle bed: A trundle bed is a fantastic option if you frequently host guests but don’t have the space for a dedicated guest room. It consists of a regular bed with a pull-out bed underneath. During the day, the second bed can be stored beneath the main bed, saving space and allowing you to use the room for other activities.
3. Murphy bed: A Murphy bed, also known as a wall bed, is an excellent choice for a small apartment bedroom. It can be folded up and stored vertically against the wall when not in use, freeing up floor space. You can find Murphy beds in various designs and styles, including those with built-in shelves or desks.
4. Daybed with storage: Opt for a daybed with built-in storage drawers or shelves underneath. This space-saving solution combines a seating area or a sofa during the day with a comfortable bed for sleeping at night. The storage compartments are ideal for stowing away extra bedding, pillows, or clothing.
5. Bunk beds: If you have a shared bedroom, bunk beds can be a fun and space-efficient solution. This vertical sleeping arrangement maximizes floor space, allowing for other activities in the room. You can choose from different bunk bed designs, including those with built-in desks or storage compartments.
6. Folding beds: Folding beds, also known as rollaway beds, are portable and can be easily folded and stored when not in use. These beds are ideal for small bedrooms that need extra sleeping space for occasional guests. When folded, they can be stored in a closet or tucked away against a wall.
7. Wall-mounted shelves as bedside tables: Instead of traditional bedside tables, opt for wall-mounted shelves or floating shelves. These provide a space-saving alternative for keeping essentials like books, a lamp, or a glass of water within reach while freeing up floor space.
By choosing space-saving bedding options, you can optimize the functionality of your small apartment bedroom. These innovative solutions not only save space but also offer versatility and convenience. So, think creatively and select bedding options that best suit your needs and lifestyle.
Add Greenery and Plants
Adding greenery and plants to your small apartment bedroom is an excellent way to bring life and freshness to the space. Not only do plants provide aesthetic appeal, but they also offer numerous benefits, such as purifying the air and promoting a sense of tranquility. Here are some ideas for incorporating greenery and plants in your bedroom:
1. Hanging plants: Utilize vertical space by hanging plants from the ceiling or attaching them to wall-mounted hooks. Hanging plants not only add visual interest but also save valuable floor space. Choose plants like pothos, spider plants, or philodendrons, which thrive in various light conditions and are low-maintenance.
2. Miniature potted plants: Place small potted plants on shelves, windowsills, or bedside tables to bring a touch of nature indoors. Choose compact plants like succulents or air plants that require minimal space and care. These small plants add a pop of color and freshness to your bedroom without overwhelming the space.
3. Vertical gardens: Consider creating a vertical garden by mounting planters onto a wall or using a hanging plant pocket system. Vertical gardens are a great space-saving solution as they allow you to grow multiple plants in a limited area. Select herbs, trailing vines, or small flowers to create a lush and vibrant display.
4. Terrariums: Set up a terrarium on a shelf or windowsill to create a mini indoor garden. Terrariums are self-contained ecosystems in glass containers, typically housing small plants and moss. They require minimal maintenance and add a unique and stylish touch to your bedroom decor.
5. Window boxes: If you have windows with sills, consider installing window boxes to hold a variety of plants. This allows you to create a small garden outside your window, adding a burst of greenery that can be enjoyed both from inside the bedroom and outside.
6. Plant stands and shelves: Invest in plant stands or shelves to create a dedicated space for your plants. These stands come in various shapes and sizes, allowing you to display multiple plants vertically. In addition to saving space, they add a decorative element to your bedroom.
7. Aloe vera or snake plants: Incorporate plants known for their air-purifying properties, such as aloe vera or snake plants. These plants not only add a touch of greenery but also filter toxins from the air, creating a healthier environment for you to sleep in.
When selecting plants for your bedroom, consider their light and humidity requirements and choose varieties that thrive in your specific conditions. Remember to regularly care for your plants by watering them and providing adequate light to ensure their well-being.
By adding greenery and plants to your small apartment bedroom, you can create a tranquil and refreshing atmosphere. So, bring nature indoors and enjoy the beauty and benefits that plants can bring to your space.
Incorporate Unique Lighting Fixtures
When it comes to designing your small apartment bedroom, lighting plays a crucial role in setting the mood and enhancing the overall ambiance. By incorporating unique lighting fixtures, you can add a touch of style and personality to your space. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
1. Pendant lights: Consider hanging pendant lights above your bedside tables or in a corner of the room to create a warm and cozy atmosphere. Choose unique and eye-catching designs that complement your bedroom decor. Pendant lights not only provide focused task lighting but also serve as decorative elements.
2. Sconces: Wall-mounted sconces are an excellent space-saving lighting option for small bedrooms. Install sconces on either side of the bed to free up space on bedside tables. Choose sconces with adjustable arms for customizable lighting, or opt for decorative sconces that add a touch of elegance and charm to the room.
3. Fairy lights: Create a whimsical and magical ambiance by incorporating fairy lights in your bedroom. Place them around your bed frame, drape them along the walls, or hang them from the ceiling for a soft and enchanting glow. Fairy lights are a cost-effective and versatile option that instantly adds charm to any space.
4. Floor lamps: Opt for floor lamps with unique and sculptural designs to serve as statement pieces in your bedroom. Place them in a corner or next to a reading nook to provide ambient lighting and create a cozy atmosphere. Look for floor lamps with adjustable heads or dimming capabilities for added functionality.
5. Chandeliers: If you have high ceilings, consider incorporating a chandelier as a luxurious and striking lighting fixture in your small bedroom. A chandelier adds a touch of glamour and acts as a centerpiece, creating a visually stunning focal point. Choose a size and style that suits your bedroom’s aesthetic.
6. Table lamps: Select table lamps with unique shapes, designs, or materials to add personality to your bedside tables. Opt for lamps that provide both ambient and task lighting, allowing you to adjust the brightness according to your needs. Experiment with different lampshade materials and colors for added visual interest.
7. String lights: Use string lights to create a cozy and romantic atmosphere in your small bedroom. Hang them along the ceiling or drape them around a bed canopy for a dreamy effect. String lights come in various designs and colors, allowing you to personalize your bedroom lighting.
Remember to consider the scale of lighting fixtures to ensure they complement the size of your bedroom. Additionally, incorporate a mix of lighting sources, such as overhead lighting, task lighting, and ambient lighting, to create a layered and well-balanced lighting scheme.
By incorporating unique lighting fixtures, you can create an inviting and visually captivating atmosphere in your small apartment bedroom. Let your creativity shine and choose lighting designs that reflect your personal style and enhance the overall aesthetic of your space.
Personalize with Accessories
Adding accessories to your small apartment bedroom is the final step in creating a space that truly reflects your personality and style. Accessories not only add visual interest but also provide an opportunity to showcase your personal mementos and cherished items. Here are some ideas to help you personalize your bedroom with accessories:
1. Decorative pillows and throws: Incorporate decorative pillows and throws that match your color scheme or add a pop of pattern and texture to your bed. Choose pillows with unique designs or quotes that resonate with you. These accessories not only enhance the comfort of your bed but also add a personal touch to your overall bedroom decor.
2. Artwork and photographs: Hang artwork or display photographs that hold sentimental value to you. Choose pieces that evoke positive emotions or reflect your interests and hobbies. Create a gallery wall or place them on floating shelves to add a personalized and artistic touch to your bedroom.
3. Unique wall decor: Add interest to your walls with unique wall decor, such as macrame hangings, woven tapestries, or vintage mirrors. These items can serve as focal points and add a touch of bohemian or eclectic flair to your bedroom. Mix and match different textures, shapes, and sizes to create a visually dynamic space.
4. Personalized trinkets and keepsakes: Display trinkets, souvenirs, or keepsakes on shelves or in glass display cases. These items could be travel mementos, family heirlooms, or tokens of special memories. They not only add a personal touch to your bedroom decor but also serve as reminders of cherished moments.
5. Plants and greenery: As mentioned earlier, incorporating plants and greenery not only adds freshness but also brings life to your bedroom. Choose plant pots or planters that align with your style and place them strategically on shelves, windowsills, or hanging from the ceiling.
6. Candles and scents: Enhance the ambiance of your bedroom with scented candles or essential oil diffusers. Choose scents that promote relaxation and tranquility, such as lavender or chamomile. The soft glow of candles creates a cozy atmosphere, while the aroma adds a sensory element to your space.
7. Books and magazines: Create a small reading nook in your bedroom by displaying a stack of your favorite books or magazines on a bedside table or a shelf. This not only adds a personal touch but also encourages relaxation and leisurely reading before bedtime.
8. Rugs and textiles: Add warmth and texture to your small bedroom with rugs and textiles. Choose a soft area rug or a runner that complements the color scheme and style of your space. Incorporate curtains, blinds, or window treatments that reflect your personal taste and add privacy.
Remember, the key to personalizing your bedroom with accessories is to select items that bring you joy and make you feel truly at home. Choose pieces that reflect your personality and align with your overall bedroom aesthetic. By adding these personal touches, your small apartment bedroom will transform into a space that is uniquely yours.
Creating a stylish and functional small apartment bedroom requires careful planning and thoughtful design choices. By implementing the ten tips discussed in this article, you can transform your limited space into a cozy and personalized oasis. From utilizing a neutral color palette to maximizing natural light and optimizing storage solutions, each tip plays a crucial role in maximizing the potential of your bedroom.
Incorporating multifunctional furniture helps to save space and enhance functionality, while adding a focal point creates visual interest and draws attention away from the limited size of the room. Incorporating mirrors reflects light and creates an illusion of spaciousness, while greenery and plants bring life and freshness to your space.
By choosing space-saving bedding options, you can maximize floor space and declutter your bedroom, while unique lighting fixtures add ambiance and style. Finally, personalizing your space with accessories allows you to showcase your personality and create a truly unique and inviting atmosphere.
Remember, the key to designing a small apartment bedroom is to strike the right balance between style and functionality. Each element should serve a purpose while adding beauty and comfort to the space. Consider your needs, lifestyle, and personal preferences when implementing these tips and adapt them to suit your specific bedroom layout and design aesthetic.
With a little creativity, smart planning, and an understanding of how to optimize the space you have, you can create a small apartment bedroom that reflects your style, provides ample storage, and allows for restful and peaceful nights.
So, embrace the challenge of designing a small space and let your creativity shine. With these tips and a touch of your personal flair, your small apartment bedroom can become a comfortable and stylish sanctuary you’ll love coming home to.