12 Modern Pendant Lighting Options For Your Home
Modified: September 26, 2022
Modern pendant lighting is a popular choice for homeowners looking to brighten up their kitchens and living rooms. Find out all about them here!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
These days, bright and classy lighting is a staple for dressed-up homes everywhere. The right lights can control the mood of a room and much of its aesthetic, especially at night. Everything from the color temperature to the form factor will have an impact. So, what does modern pendant lighting bring to a room? Let’s find out.
What Is Modern Pendant Lighting?
Modern pendant lighting is rather easy to spot. These types of light fixtures are typically suspended from the ceiling on long wires or poles, giving them a hanging appearance. This is where the pendant part of their names originated.
Pendant lighting comes in many shapes and sizes, but the suspension is its main identifying feature. It has its roots in ancient Greece, but the style has become popular among modern light fixtures as well. Many new takes on the old designs have cropped up, incorporating cleaner, geometrical shapes to give these hanging lights a more modern look and feel. They’re popularly found in kitchens and living rooms alike, often over a kitchen island or dining table, or in place of a chandelier.
Why Buy Modern Pendant Lighting
Now you may be wondering why you should pick up pendant lights instead of classic ceiling or wall lights. For starters, they add variety to the typical style of lighting found in the modern home. We aren’t saying you should replace all the lights in your house with pendant lighting. They’re only meant as accents or centerpieces. Having a pendant light set breaks the monotony of a flat ceiling and adds more levels to your design.
These hanging lights also come in a whole host of styles and designs. It’s easy to match them to a room and add a little more character to the space. For instance, the lampshades on some sets can be painted to go with your cupboards. Or, if you find the classic chandeliers a little too old-fashioned to hang over your dinner table, you can pick up a larger pendant light to take its place.
Types of Modern Pendant Lighting
Outside of the solo pendant light, there are two main types of pendant lighting out there: centerpieces and lighting sets. We’ll be going over what defines each type in this section.
Centerpieces are typically larger than your average pendant lamp. These modern takes on the classic chandelier are more consolidated than the lighting sets. They’re put together as a single, coherent piece that can hang over a kitchen island or dining table. Many can also be used in the living room as the main lighting fixture. A centerpiece pendant lamp is usually made to draw the eye and serve as a conversation piece.
Lighting sets are made up of multiple solo pendant lights hung up in the same area to create a unified series. These sets typically don’t draw attention to themselves as much as centerpieces. They’re often used as accents, blending into the ambiance over kitchen islands or bar tables.
Best Modern Pendant Lighting Centerpieces
Now that you know all about pendant lights, you may be wondering how to incorporate one into your home. Luckily, we’ve compiled a whole host of different designs you can look at below, starting with the centerpieces.
The Modern Cube Pendant Light from Leniure is a delicate balance of form and function. This beautiful geometric pendant light boasts a classy set of metal frames suspended delicately from the ceiling. It’s sure to catch your guests’ eyes as it lights up the room.
- Adjustable 60-inch hanging chain
- Built-in, non-dimmable 8- watt LED array
- Light, powder-coated aluminum frame
- High-quality PVC lampshade
- 34 inches (W) x 16 inches (D) x 20 inches (H)
- Very bright
- Wires and mechanism are already assembled
- Elegant, high-class appearance
- Height is easy to adjust
- Requires two people to install
If you like a more flowy design, you may find the Concentric Modern Pendant Lamp from HOUDES to your liking. This interesting take on a new-age chandelier can be controlled and adjusted via remote. Everything from brightness to color temperatures is in the palm of your hand.
- Remote-controlled, dimmable brightness
- Light can be adjusted from warm to cool
- Modern, aluminum frame and metal ceiling plate
- 7.88 inches (H) x 19.7 inches (W) x 19.7 inches (L)
- Easy to adjust brightness and light warmth
- Very bright when needed
- Aesthetic form and even distribution of light
- Easy to install
- Hard-to-follow instructions
The Industrial Modern Pendant Lamp from kele dreamer is a little more out there than other designs. It feels almost like an abstract work of art, and its branches can be adjusted to make it so. This hanging lamp is a true conversation starter in any room.
- The lamp head can be rotated 360 degrees
- Explosion-proof glass lampshades
- High-quality metal body
- 27.56 inches x 62.99 inches
- Beautiful, high-end appearance
- Solid and well-made construction
- Customizable branch angles
- Included screws are easy to strip
For something a little more classy, try picking up the Teardrop Pendant Light from Royal Pearl. This piece can be placed on a stair landing or even in the middle of a spiral staircase. The droplet-like lights can evoke both modern and classic designs depending on the decor surrounding them.
- Unique crystal pendant design
- Adjustable height
- Controllable dimness
- 51 inches (H) x 10.23 inches (W)
- Modern, beautiful design
- Dimmable option
- Adequate brightness
- The mounting plate needs careful installation
If you’re looking to go for a more minimalist style, you may want to consider the Kitchen Island Pendant Lighting from Zicbol. The clean, simple design serves its purpose perfectly without any extra bells or whistles.
- Works with a dimming switch
- Adjustable height during installation
- Simple, minimalist design
- Strong, corrosion-resistant metal and acrylic body
- 118.11 inches (H) x 40.94 inches (W)
- Modern and sleek form factor
- Bright LED light
- Build quality is good
- Height is difficult to adjust after installation
The Modern LED Pendant Lighting from Ziplighting has a good blend of intricacy and simplicity. Its double-helix design is intriguing without being too over the top. The subtlety is such that while it won’t draw the eye, it will certainly delight any who notices it.
- Fully dimmable with adjustable brightness
- Long-lasting integrated LED lights
- Iron ceiling plate with aluminum and silicone body
- 47.2 inches x 11.8 inches
- Emits bright light and can be dimmed when needed
- Delicate and elegant aesthetic
- Remote works well and remembers settings
- Remote controls are only in Chinese
Best Modern Pendant Lighting Sets
If you’re looking for lighting sets to accent your home, we also have a compilation ready for you below. Some pendant lights come in packaged deals while others are only available individually. Either way though, you can simply buy as many as you need and string them along your ceiling to make a lovely line of lights.
The Wood Matte Modern Pendant Lighting from YEPOLI is an excellent packaged deal. This set of hanging lamps is perfect for any wood-accented kitchen. They also come in black, making them an excellent match for both light and dark decor.
- Made with high-quality aluminum and solid wood
- Adjustable cable lengths
- Compatible with a dimmer switch
- Per lamp: 9.84 inches (L) x 9.84 inches (W) x 57.9 inches (H)
- Elegant with fitting wooden accents
- Comes in a pack of three
- Height can be adjusted as desired
- Bulb peeks past the lampshade
Metal and glass are a classic combo that transitions well into the present, as seen in the Three-Pack Mini Modern Pendant Lights from ALICE HOUSE. This lovely set diffuses the light by forming geometric patterns into its glass. It’s a little reminiscent of firefly jars and adds a lot of charm to any setting.
- Designed to be easy to install
- Brushed nickel finish and geometric glass materials
- Multiple hanging rods included for adjustable height
- Per lamp: 3.9 inches (L) x 3.9 inches (W) x 57 inches (H)
- Glass is thick and well-made
- Hanging rods look unique compared to hanging wires
- A custom-fit is achievable with the provided rods
- Rod lengths cannot be cut for a more precise fit
For modern homes with cast iron decor, we recommend the Industrial Modern Pendant Lighting from Seaside Village. The lantern-like designs are elegant with a touch of rugged charm.
- Adjustable utility chords
- Unique geometric shades
- Can be used with dimmer switches
- E26 sockets allow for a wide range of lightbulbs
- Per lamp: 59 inches (L) x 5.9 inches (W) x 4.72 inches (H)
- Long utility chord that’s easy to shorten
- Lightweight with a sleek, simple design
- Quality materials
- Easy to assemble
- The chord takes a while to straighten
One particularly unique option would be to buy a set of Modern Black Triangle Pendant Lamps from Leniure. The tetrahedron lamp is just as eye-catching alone as it is in a group, commanding attention on sight.
- High-quality aluminum and PVC materials
- Built-in, non-dimmable LED lights
- Adjustable hanging chain
- 8 inches (W) x 8 inches (D) x 8 inches (H) x 40 inches (L)
- Eye-catching and beautiful
- Gives off a good amount of light
- Small and compact design
- Silver screws stand out against the black base
The Effimero Modern Pendant Light Fixture from Linea di Liara boasts a clean and minimalist form factor that isn’t afraid to strip down to the very basics. There’s a beauty in its simple design that allows it to be suited to many rooms with ease.
- Adjustable hanging height
- Compatible with smart bulbs
- Clean metal finish with a clear glass shade
- 15.9 inches (L) x 8.9 inches (W) x 7.8 inches (H)
- Inexpensive but classy
- Easy to install
- Hang perfectly straight due to hanging rods
- Installed bulbs are difficult to clean
Classiness is the name of the game when it comes to the Elegant Pendant Light from C Cattleya. From the cut-outs in its slender lampshade to the way it can conform to any ceiling angle, this hanging lamp certainly aims to please.
- The mounting base is compatible with multiple ceiling angles
- Can function with a dimmer switch
- Height is adjustable
- Black metal shade with cut-out design
- 4.75 inches (L) x 4.75 inches (W) x 78 inches (H)
- Provides excellent ambiance
- High-quality build
- Elegant and sleek appearance
- The hanging cables are silver instead of black