Deck boxes are a great tool for organizing your outdoor space with maximum efficiency. Providing a waterproof setting for your tools and outdoor supplies with a sturdy built, deck boxes ensure reliability and resistance against harsh weather conditions. Deck boxes are your perfect companion in terms of getting rid of all the clutter that damages the aesthetics of your outdoor space.
This buying guide will comprehensively go over all the things you need to know before buying a deck storage box. From utility, outdoor storage box tips, and deck box FAQs to the benefits they offer and the types of deck boxes available on the market, this guide has it all. This guide will prepare you for not only buying a deck box but also shed some light on how you can properly maintain it.
The 5 Things You Need To Know About Deck Box
- Deck boxes are one of the perfect storage solutions for your outdoors. Not only do they provide storage solutions, but they also offer ease of mind with their weatherproof and sturdy build quality. Deck boxes are made of different materials like wood, resin, and plastic, all of which have a similar quality, i.e., waterproof and durable build.
- Apart from durability, these deck boxes are also your reliable companions in providing efficient storage solutions. They provide resistance against weathering agents such as wind, water, and sunlight.
- Deck boxes double up as seating sofas or tabletops depending on their style. This versatility is achieved by the impressive design of these storage deck boxes, which provides dual functionality. The top surface can be used as a chair or a sofa, while space below is used for stowing items. There are about four classifications regarding the sizes of the deck boxes. These range from small to extra-large with capacities of 50 gallons to more than 150 gallons, respectively.
- Deck boxes come in different styles such as being designed as coffee tables or sofas, or even vertical deck boxes. They also provide a secure storage solution with hinges and a safety lock that can be padded.
Things You Need To Consider Before Buying A Deck Box
Before you set on the journey of getting deck boxes as your outdoor storage options, you need to keep heed of the following:
1. Assess Your Requirements
The first and foremost factor to keep in mind before buying your perfect deck box is to ascertain what kind of items you require the deck box to hold eventually. Are you going to store gardening supplies that you always need on the go and cannot go to the garage all the time?
Or perhaps you just want to relieve your garage from all the clutter that small items like kids’ toys, outdoor games, and pool items can make. In any case, you need to make a detailed assessment regarding the purpose of your storage requirements. This way, the task of buying the storage deck box becomes a little less painful.
2. Material Of Construction
After you have considered your storage needs, do some research on the type of material you should opt for in a deck box. The three major options regarding the material of construction include plastic, resin, and wood. Choosing a material can become easy if you know the kind of aesthetic you’re going for and also if you have a rough idea of what you’ll be storing inside.
Just like the material of construction, the size of the deck box is another consideration you need to take into account. The size of your deck box must match that of the assessment for the storage requirements made in the earlier step. Pre-assessing your needs will ensure that you make a suitable purchase. It’ll also ensure that you don’t end up spending over the top for unnecessary storage.
4. Style of Deck Boxes
Available in a host of different styles, deck boxes provide several useful alternatives uses for the prospective buyer. Deck boxes can be used as a coffee table, or simply as a cushion storage bench. Moreover, you can opt for a cushioned sofa like a deck box or a vertical deck box for maximum storage volume.
5. Miscellaneous Features
Deck boxes also come with additional features such as security lock padding, hinges and handles, wheels, and suspension nets. You can opt for a deck box that offers these features depending on your storage needs and nature of use.
5 Signs That Show You Need To Buy A Deck Box
Buying the right item is just as important as the right time to purchase that item. Here are 5 guaranteed signs that confirm that you need to buy a deck box right away.
- The garage is cluttered with small items like kids’ toys and other tools.
- The outdoor space is cluttered with garden supplies or tools, portraying a messy outdoor.
- Your storage shed is full to the brim and has no additional capacity to store more items.
- You need an aesthetic storage option that can also provide you with seating capabilities.
- The storage options in your house and attic have been exhausted.
Clever Tips On How To Choose The Right Deck Box For Your Outdoor
- Choose a deck box with wheels that are lockable and casters for free movement around the deck or patio.
- Although deck boxes don’t usually come with handles, it would be wise to consider a deck box storage with handles so that you can move the box with ease.
- Hinges are another great feature to consider when purchasing a deck box. Gas hinges assure smooth operation of the deck box and minimize damage to the box when opening and closing.
- Another piece of innovation in the seemingly simple deck boxes is that of storage nets or suspension baskets, which enable you to utilize the box at maximum efficiency.
- Make sure you are aware of the décor you intend to keep for your outdoor space. This way, you can choose the type, size, and color of the deck box so that it adds to the aesthetics of the place.
- Waterproofing is a must-have in any deck box, but protection against ultraviolet rays is another feature that will help you store your belongings in a risk-free manner.
Where To Buy Deck Box
Where to buy a deck box is an important question that has a simple answer in today’s online-based world. Places like Amazon, Aliexpress, Homedepot, and Walmart, make the list of places where you can purchase deck boxes. To buy a deck box, if you’re not tech-savvy, you can check the physical outlets of large retailers that house these items. In this guide, we list down some deck box items that you can purchase online.
5 Benefits Of Having A Deck Box
The benefits of deck storage boxes are countless, but here are the main benefits of a deck storage box that will surely make you want to purchase one for yourself.
- There is an excellent variety of materials that make choosing the deck box according to your purpose, a hassle-free experience. You can choose wood, plastic, or resin depending on the combination of aesthetics or pure functionalism you want.
- Deck boxes also come in a variety of shapes such as a coffee table, deck bench, or even a small sofa with a cushion. These add to your outdoor aesthetic experience as well as provide a dual functionality while fulfilling the primary purpose of providing storage for the outdoors.
- Apart from style and material, deck boxes come in a variety of colors as well. With wood as one of the options for the material of construction, you can add a unique aesthetic to your outdoor space. Moreover, wicker or resin are also great options.
- Perhaps the biggest benefit of a deck box is that it provides a cleaner and a neat look to your outdoor space. It removes the clutter from the outside and provides a safe space for small items that usually add to clutter and lead to an overall untidy appearance.
- Deck boxes prevent the items inside from harsh weather and other aspects such as water, wind, and sunlight. These elements can cause wear and tear and hence lead to gradual deterioration. You can avoid this by investing in a deck box.
Deck Box Types
There are three main deck box types. These deck box types vary in their construction, which also in turn influences the way in which these boxes can be utilized.
How To Organize Deck Box
Organizing a deck box is pretty simple. Plan ahead of time before you purchase one. By assessing your storage needs before making a purchase you’ll never have to worry about the organization, to begin with. Deck boxes, as mentioned above, come in various forms, styles, and shapes, meaning they can be used for different purposes. If you want a multipurpose deck box, opt for one that supports these features.
After this assessment, look for things to keep in the deck box. These include kids’ toys, garden tools, extra cushions from the house, and even pool tools. Make sure you are using the deck box for compatible purposes. For example, if you are storing cushions in the deck boxes, you shouldn’t store gardening supplies in there.
Keep your deck box on the patio or deck, depending on the type of aesthetic you want to achieve. Do not fill the deck box beyond its capacity as it will most likely damage the items as well as reduce the life of the deck box. You may use partitions inside the deck box to organize items. If you’re storing tools, make sure to label or color-code items to make retrieval easier on yourself when you need to use anything.
How To Utilize Your Deck Box
Although deck boxes are primarily used for storing different items, they do offer some much-needed versatility in utility. This utility comes from the various number of styles and shapes the deck boxes are available to us. For example, the standard deck box is a perfect long bench-like structure, which can be used for sitting purposes provided the box supports the added weight on top. One of the best outdoor storage box tips is to utilize deck boxes dually, for example, as a coffee table and storage container.
Coffee tables and small table-like deck boxes ensure that deck boxes provide storage on your patio and double up as a chic table with chairs assembled around.
Perfect Deck Box Sizes For Your Outdoor
Deck box sizes usually range from the small to extra-large ones. The capacity of the deck boxes is measured in gallons where the small one is capable of storing 50 gallons, and the extra-large ones can hold items up to 150 gallons. Here are the four sizes and a brief description of each:
Small Deck Storage Boxes are capable of storing around 50 gallons in the volume of items. These are handy for storing small items such as kids’ toys, towels, and outdoor pillows.
Medium Deck Storage Boxes have the capability of storing items up to 100 gallons. This makes them ideal for storing limited amounts of gardening supplies or a cushion set.
Large Deck Storage Box can provide storage in the range of 100 to 150 gallons, making them an excellent choice for storing outdoor tools. Moreover, they are good for keeping a larger number of cushions that you cannot stow away inside the house.
Extra-large Deck Storage Boxes provide the maximum storage making them a solution for all your outdoor storage needs. They are capable of storing over 150 gallons volume of stuff in them.
Stylish Deck Box Styles Ideas
Here are a few deck box styles that are sure to grab your attention.
- Wicker deck storage box makes a graceful addition to the outdoors with a classic dark brown color that can be padlocked for security.
- A white wicker based deck box that enhances your patio giving a contemporary look.
- The extra-large war-chest deck box that provides maximum storage with a dark complexion that adds minimalistic aesthetics.
- Wooden teak deck box gives a classic look.
- A simple bench-like wooden deck box is giving dual functionality.
- A round coffee-table deck box giving storage and tabletop features alike.
- Deck box designed as a park bench with armrest and a back supporting people who sit on it.
How To Properly Take Care Of Your Deck Box On Winter?
Winters can be extreme on the patio furniture and the deck, which are mainly composed of wood or plastic construction. Here are a few steps that you must take to keep your deck box safe before the onset of winter.
- Clean the deck box off any moisture, dirt, or debris that may have accumulated over it. These contaminants cause the growth of mold on the deck boxes, which is harmful in the long run.
- Dry items before storing them inside the deck box.
- Wicker and Plastics can be cleaned with the help of a brush or sponge.
- Wooden deck boxes need some special attention as they should only be cleaned following the manufacturer’s instructions. The right type of cleaning solution and cleaning method must be employed for the warranty not to become void. Scrubbing is not recommended as it usually leads to the chipping of paint.
- The coating is an essential task that must be performed before the onset of winter. This will ensure that the deck box is safe and can withstand extreme weather conditions like snow and hail.
- Follow instructions given by the manufacturer. For wood, you can use a sealant that is waterproof that can prevent moisture from damaging the deck box.
- Finally, cover the deck box with some sort of plastic cover, which will prevent the harsh winters from damaging the deck box.
Deck Box Frequently Asked Questions
In this deck box FAQs, we will answer some of your most asked questions regarding deck boxes. These Deck box FAQs include inquiries related to storage, maintenance, organization, and optimum sizes for different usages.
1. What Is The Perfect Deck Box For Winter?
The perfect winter deck box is the one that provides the most resistance to extreme temperatures and the action of wind and snow. Wood and plastics are the best materials to opt for when buying winter outdoor box. Plastic has the edge over its wooden counterpart in the sense that it does not require any special coating to make it winter-ready. Plastics rarely react with elements such as wind, water, and snow, making them the perfect choice for the harshest of climates, including winters.
2. Is Deck Box Getting Moist Inside?
Check for your deck box and its insides to inspect whether it is accumulating moisture or not. This can be done by measuring relative humidity or inspecting the items within. Moisture buildup is a typical phenomenon, and to prevent this from happening, invest in a waterproof deck box. Moreover, you can coat the box with a sealant or waterproofing substance to prevent moisture from accumulating inside.
3. The Best Deck Storage Fit On Your Outdoor
As mentioned in earlier sections, the first step to ascertain when buying a deck box is to assess storage needs. Once storage needs are calculated, you must look at the area at your disposal on the deck and the patio. This area on which you can populate your deck box will determine which size, shape, and style will fit the best on it.
4. Benefits Of Building Your Deck Storage
- Deck boxes are versatile and can be used for different purposes.
- Deck boxes are quite an affordable storage option.
- Deck boxes withstand the harshest of weather conditions and can be used all year round.
- The variety of shapes, sizes, and styles means they can fit any outdoor space and conform to your specific outdoor aesthetics.
- Deck boxes come with locks, hinges, and wheels underneath to allow free movement and efficient handling of the deck box.
- Building your own deck storage can provide you with the chance to customize it according to your home’s décor.
5. How To Organize Your Things Using Under Deck Storage
Sometimes, a deck may be a raised platform compared to the lawn and the outdoor area. This makes this raised deck a suitable option for storing things. These items can be safely stored under the deck by employing different measures.
- You can simply store your items underneath the desk space using the deck like a roof.
- Store items in boxes or storage cabinets under the deck.
- Extra-large drawers can be made that go under the deck when not in use.
6. How To Utilize Deck Storage
As mentioned above, the space underneath the deck can serve as a pretty good storage space. Even if the deck is not that high, it usually is a few steps, at least. This makes the space underneath the patio a perfect option for storing items. You can build drawers that come out or simply use the space for keeping things. Space can be walled or left open, depending on the type of items you want to store.
7. How Deep Should The Under-Deck Storage Be?
The area under the deck should be at least 5 feet to consider it as an appropriate storage option. However, heights less than these can be utilized to make drawers or cabinets in the space. A deeper space provides you with enough ammunition to use the deck space for a full-fledged storage shed.
8. What Is The Standard Size Of Waterproof Under Deck Storage?
There are no standard waterproofing dimensions under the deck storage, but it is advisable to waterproof the underside to stop the growth of microorganisms. These microorganisms tend to cause structural damages to the deck; hence sloping the bottom of the deck with some pipes is a good idea.
9. Should I Paint My Under-Deck Storage?
Treated wood doesn’t need to be stained on the underside, but it is still desirable to paint the bottom of the deck to have a few advantages. One of these advantages is the avoidance of the growth of mold that usually occurs in damp spaces. The bottom of the deck is vulnerable to the action of microorganisms; hence, the bottom of the deck should be painted once every two to three years.