How To Store An Ironing Board
Published: September 10, 2023
Learn the best methods for storing your ironing board with these helpful articles. Keep your ironing board neat and tidy when not in use.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Storing an ironing board may seem like a simple task, but doing it properly can save you time, space, and frustration in the long run. Whether you have a full-sized ironing board or a compact one for small spaces, there are several strategies you can employ to ensure its safekeeping.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of storing an ironing board. We’ll also provide some additional tips and ideas to help you make the most efficient use of your storage space. So, let’s dive in!
Step 1: Gather Supplies
Before you begin the process of storing your ironing board, it’s helpful to gather the necessary supplies. This will ensure that you have everything you need to properly and safely store your ironing board.
Here are the supplies you’ll need:
- Ironing board
- Straps or Velcro
- Closet or hanging organizer
- Wall-mounted hooks or racks (optional)
- Storage container or bag (optional)
Having these supplies on hand will make the process of storing your ironing board much easier and more organized.
Step 2: Fold the Ironing Board
Once you have gathered your supplies, the next step is to fold the ironing board properly. Folding the ironing board ensures that it takes up less space and is easier to store.
Here are the steps to fold the ironing board:
- Start by removing any items from the ironing board, such as clothes or accessories.
- Make sure the ironing board is clean and free from any debris.
- Locate the release lever or mechanism on your ironing board. This is typically found near the hinge or pivot point.
- Press or release the lever to unlock the board and allow it to fold.
- Fold the ironing board in half lengthwise, bringing the pointed end of the board towards the flat end.
- Ensure that the legs of the ironing board are folded securely against the board.
By following these steps, you will have successfully folded your ironing board and prepared it for storage.
Step 3: Secure with Straps or Velcro
After folding your ironing board, it’s important to secure it to prevent it from unfolding or getting damaged during storage. One way to achieve this is by using straps or Velcro.
Here’s how you can secure your folded ironing board:
- Take a set of straps or a Velcro strip and wrap it tightly around the folded ironing board. If your ironing board did not come with straps or Velcro, you can purchase them separately from a hardware or home improvement store.
- Ensure that the straps or Velcro are snugly secured around the board, holding it in place. This will prevent the board from unfolding or shifting during storage.
- Double-check to make sure the straps or Velcro are not overly tightened, as this could damage the board.
By using straps or Velcro to secure your folded ironing board, you can have peace of mind knowing that it will stay in place and be protected while in storage.
Step 4: Store in a Closet or Hanging Organizer
Now that your ironing board is folded and secured, it’s time to find a suitable storage location. One of the most common and convenient options is to store it in a closet or a hanging organizer.
Here’s how to store your ironing board in a closet or hanging organizer:
- Choose a closet or an area in your home where you can easily access and store your ironing board.
- If space permits, hang a clothing rod inside the closet where you can hang the ironing board vertically. Alternatively, you can attach hooks or install a wall-mounted organizer.
- If you don’t have a large closet or hanging space, consider using a hanging organizer specifically designed for ironing board storage. These organizers typically have compartments to hold the folded board securely.
- Place your folded ironing board in the closet or hanging organizer, making sure it is secure and stable.
- Ensure that the ironing board is not in a location where it can fall or get knocked over easily.
Storing your ironing board in a closet or hanging organizer not only keeps it out of sight but also makes it easily accessible when needed.
Step 5: Consider Wall-Mounted Solutions
If you have limited floor or closet space, you may want to consider utilizing wall-mounted solutions to store your ironing board. This option allows you to free up valuable floor space while keeping your ironing board easily accessible.
Here are some wall-mounted storage solutions to consider:
- Wall-mounted hooks or racks: Install hooks or racks on a wall near your ironing area. Hang the folded ironing board securely on the hooks or racks. This keeps the board off the floor and helps to maximize space.
- Fold-down ironing board: If you’re looking for a more compact storage solution, consider a fold-down ironing board that mounts directly onto the wall. These boards can be easily folded up and down when needed, and then stored flush against the wall.
- Ironing board cabinet: Another option is to install an ironing board cabinet on the wall. These cabinets feature a fold-out ironing board that can be easily stored inside when not in use. Some cabinets even have additional storage space for irons and other accessories.
By utilizing wall-mounted solutions, you can efficiently store your ironing board without taking up valuable floor or closet space.
Step 6: Options for Small Spaces
If you have a small living space or limited storage options, don’t worry! There are still creative ways to store your ironing board efficiently.
Here are some options for small spaces:
- Behind the door storage: Utilize the space behind a door by installing an over-the-door ironing board holder. These holders typically have hooks or brackets that can securely hold your folded ironing board.
- Underbed storage: If you have extra space underneath your bed, consider using underbed storage bins or containers to store your ironing board. Make sure to measure the height of your folded board to ensure it fits comfortably.
- Convertible furniture: Look for furniture pieces that have built-in ironing board functionality. For example, there are cabinets and tables available that can transform into an ironing board when needed and then easily fold back into furniture.
- Vertical storage: Maximize your vertical space by using tall storage cabinets or shelving units. Dedicate a section or shelf specifically for your folded ironing board, allowing it to stand upright without taking up too much floor space.
By exploring these options tailored for small spaces, you can find clever storage solutions that fit your needs while optimizing the limited space you have available.
Step 7: Additional Tips for Proper Storage
To ensure the longevity and proper storage of your ironing board, here are some handy tips to keep in mind:
- Keep it clean: Before storing your ironing board, make sure it is clean and free from any dust or debris. Wipe it down with a damp cloth if necessary.
- Avoid moisture: Store your ironing board in a dry location to prevent any moisture buildup which can lead to mold or mildew.
- Protective cover: Consider using a protective cover or bag to shield your folded ironing board from dust, scratches, and potential damage.
- Properly store the iron: If you have a separate iron, store it in a safe and secure location away from the ironing board. Be mindful of the cord to avoid any tangling or damage.
- Check for stability: Before storing, ensure that your ironing board is secured properly and is stable. This will prevent any accidents or injuries.
- Label your storage: If you have multiple storage containers or bags, it can be helpful to label them clearly to easily identify which one contains your ironing board.
- Regular maintenance: Periodically check your stored ironing board for any signs of damage or wear. If needed, make any repairs or consider replacing it if it becomes unsafe to use.
By following these additional tips, you can maintain the condition of your ironing board and ensure its proper storage for years to come.
Storing an ironing board might seem like a simple task, but doing it properly can save you space and ensure the longevity of your board. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can store your ironing board effectively and keep it in excellent condition for future use.
Remember to gather the necessary supplies, such as straps or Velcro, to secure your folded ironing board. Consider storing it in a closet, hanging organizer, or utilizing wall-mounted solutions to maximize space. If you have a small living space, explore options like behind the door storage, underbed storage, convertible furniture, or vertical storage.
Additionally, it’s important to keep your ironing board clean, protect it from moisture, and properly store any accompanying accessories, such as irons. Regular maintenance and periodic checks will help you identify any issues and address them promptly.
By implementing these storage tips, you can not only keep your ironing board organized but also create a more functional and efficient space in your home. So, say goodbye to a cluttered ironing area and hello to a tidy and hassle-free storage solution for your ironing board!