How To Store Ironing Board
Published: September 17, 2023
Learn the best techniques for storing your ironing board with these helpful articles. Maximize space and keep your ironing board organized and easily accessible.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Ironing boards are a staple in every household. They provide a convenient and efficient way to keep our clothes wrinkle-free and looking their best. However, when not in use, storing an ironing board can be a bit of a challenge. It’s important to find a suitable storage solution that keeps the ironing board tucked away, yet easily accessible when needed.
In this article, we will explore various methods and tips for storing your ironing board effectively. From choosing the right storage location to utilizing wall mounts, freestanding organizers, and alternative storage options, we’ve got you covered. So let’s dive in and discover how to keep your ironing board neatly stored and out of the way.
Step 1: Choose a Suitable Storage Location
The first step in storing your ironing board is to find an appropriate location for it. Consider the following factors when choosing a storage spot:
- Accessibility: Select a location that allows easy access to your ironing board. You should be able to retrieve it quickly whenever needed.
- Space: Look for an area that has enough space to accommodate the folded ironing board without it getting in the way or causing any obstructions.
- Climate Control: Avoid storing your ironing board in areas prone to extreme temperature or humidity fluctuations, as it may damage the board or affect its functionality.
- Protection: Consider choosing a storage location that provides some form of protection, such as a closet or cabinet, to keep the ironing board safe from dust, dirt, and potential damage.
Some common storage locations for ironing boards include:
- Laundry Room: If you have a dedicated laundry room, this can be an ideal place to store your ironing board. You can hang it on a wall or tuck it away in a closet.
- Utility Closet: If you have a utility closet or a storage room, consider allocating a specific space for your ironing board. You can use hooks or racks to keep it organized and out of the way.
- Bedroom: If you frequently iron clothes in your bedroom, find a discreet spot where you can store the ironing board. This could be under the bed, behind a door, or in a corner.
- Garage: For those with ample space in their garage, you can designate a section for storing the ironing board. Make sure it’s away from any potential hazards and protected from excessive dust or moisture.
Remember, the storage location you choose will depend on your available space and personal preferences. Consider your specific needs and find a storage spot that suits you best.
Step 2: Fold the Ironing Board Properly
Before storing your ironing board, it’s essential to fold it properly to minimize its size and make it easier to handle. Follow these steps to fold your ironing board correctly:
- Remove any attachments: If your ironing board has any attachments, such as an iron rest or a wire shelf, detach them before folding. This will ensure a compact and uniform fold.
- Unlock the board: If your ironing board has a locking mechanism, release it to unlock the board and make it collapsible.
- Lower the ironing surface: Lower the ironing surface to its lowest position. This will make it easier to fold the legs and reduce the overall height of the folded board.
- Fold the legs: Start by folding one leg inward towards the center of the board. Repeat the process with the remaining legs, folding them towards the center as well.
- Secure the legs: Once all the legs are folded inward, look for any latches or clips that can secure the legs in place. Engage these mechanisms to keep the legs from unfolding during storage.
- Ensure a flat surface: Make sure the ironing surface is flat against the folded legs. This will create a compact and even fold for easier storage.
By following these steps, you can fold your ironing board into a neat and compact form, reducing its storage footprint. It’s important to note that different ironing board models may have specific folding instructions, so refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines if needed.
Once your ironing board is properly folded, you are ready to move on to the next step: choosing a suitable storage solution.
Step 3: Use a Wall Mount or Hook
One popular and convenient way to store an ironing board is by using a wall mount or hook. This method allows you to securely hang the ironing board on a wall or the back of a door, keeping it off the floor and out of the way. Follow these steps to use a wall mount or hook for ironing board storage:
- Select a suitable wall: Choose a wall that can support the weight of the ironing board and is easily accessible. Ideally, it should be close to your ironing area and not obstruct any doorways or walkways.
- Install the wall mount or hook: Use the appropriate hardware (screws, anchors, etc.) to securely attach the wall mount or hook to the chosen wall. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper installation.
- Hang the ironing board: Once the wall mount or hook is in place, hang the folded ironing board on it. Make sure it is stable and properly secured to prevent any accidents or damage.
- Adjust for height: Position the ironing board at a suitable height for easy access. This will vary depending on your height and comfort level. Consider testing different heights before finalizing the position.
A wall-mounted ironing board storage solution not only keeps your ironing board organized but also saves valuable floor space. It allows for quick and easy retrieval whenever you need to iron your clothes.
If you don’t have enough wall space or prefer not to drill holes, you can use adhesive hooks or removable adhesive strips designed for hanging objects. Just make sure the chosen adhesive can support the weight of the ironing board.
Now that you’ve learned about using a wall mount or hook, let’s explore another storage option: freestanding organizers or racks.
Step 4: Utilize a Freestanding Organizer or Rack
If you prefer not to hang your ironing board on the wall, another excellent storage option is to use a freestanding organizer or rack. This method allows you to keep your ironing board easily accessible while providing a designated space for storage. Here’s how you can utilize a freestanding organizer or rack for your ironing board:
- Select a suitable organizer or rack: Look for a freestanding organizer or rack specifically designed for ironing board storage. These can come in various sizes and styles, so choose one that fits well in your space and complements your decor.
- Clear a space: Find an area in your home where you can allocate space for the freestanding organizer or rack. It should be easily accessible and have enough room to accommodate the size of your folded ironing board.
- Place the organizer or rack: Set up the freestanding organizer or rack in the chosen location. Ensure it is stable and securely positioned to prevent any accidents or tipping over.
- Store the ironing board: Fold your ironing board properly and place it on the organizer or rack. Make sure it is secure and doesn’t wobble or fall off.
- Organize additional items: Some freestanding organizers or racks also have compartments or hooks to store other ironing essentials, such as ironing sprays, fabric softeners, or lint rollers. Utilize these additional spaces to keep everything you need conveniently in one place.
By using a freestanding organizer or rack, you can keep your ironing board neatly stored without the need for wall installation. It provides a dedicated spot for your ironing board and helps keep your laundry area or space organized.
Next, we’ll explore some alternative storage options to consider if you’re looking for more creative ways to store your ironing board.
Step 5: Consider Alternative Storage Options
If you’re looking for more creative ways to store your ironing board, there are alternative storage options you can consider. These options offer unique and functional ways to keep your ironing board neatly stored while adding a touch of style to your space. Here are some alternative storage options to explore:
- Cabinet or Closet: If you have a cabinet or closet with enough space, consider dedicating a section for storing your ironing board. You can install hooks or racks inside the cabinet door to hang the folded ironing board. This keeps it hidden away and easily accessible whenever you need it.
- Furniture with Built-in Storage: Look for furniture pieces that offer built-in storage solutions for your ironing board. For example, there are dressers or storage benches with compartments specifically designed to store ironing boards. These pieces serve a dual purpose, providing both storage and functionality.
- Under-Sink Storage: If you have space under your bathroom or kitchen sink, consider utilizing it for ironing board storage. Install hooks or a tension rod to hang the folded ironing board. This clever solution keeps it hidden and utilizes otherwise unused space.
- Decorative Wall Shelves: Install decorative wall shelves in your laundry room or designated ironing area. Use one of the shelves to hold the folded ironing board. This not only provides storage but also adds a decorative element to the space.
- Customized Storage Unit: For those who enjoy DIY projects, you can create a customized storage unit specifically tailored to your ironing board’s size and your storage needs. This allows you to incorporate additional features, such as compartments for storing ironing accessories or a built-in iron rest.
By considering alternative storage options, you can find unique and creative ways to store your ironing board that suit your space and personal style. Remember to prioritize functionality and accessibility while also adding a touch of aesthetic appeal.
Now that you’re familiar with various storage options, you can choose the method that works best for you to keep your ironing board organized and out of the way when not in use.
Storing your ironing board in a neat and organized manner is essential for maintaining a clutter-free living space. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily store your ironing board and keep it accessible whenever you need to press your clothes.
Start by choosing a suitable storage location that provides accessibility, sufficient space, and protection for your ironing board. Consider options like the laundry room, utility closet, bedroom, or garage based on your available space and needs. Once you’ve selected a storage spot, proceed to fold your ironing board properly. Remove any attachments, lower the ironing surface, fold the legs, and secure them in place to create a compact fold.
Utilizing a wall mount or hook is a popular and convenient method for storing your ironing board. Install a wall mount or hook in a suitable location and hang the folded ironing board securely. This method saves floor space and allows for easy retrieval whenever you need to iron. Alternatively, you can use a freestanding organizer or rack to keep your ironing board. Choose a suitable organizer or rack, place it in a designated space, and store your folded ironing board on it.
If you prefer more creative storage options, consider alternatives like using cabinets or closets, furniture with built-in storage, under-sink storage, decorative wall shelves, or even creating a customized storage unit. These options not only provide functionality but also add a touch of style to your space.
Remember, the key to effective ironing board storage is finding a method that suits your space, needs, and personal preferences. By keeping your ironing board neatly stored, you can free up valuable space, maintain an organized living area, and make the ironing process more efficient.
So, take the necessary steps to store your ironing board properly today and enjoy a clutter-free and well-organized home!