Living Room Storage
22 Genius House Cleaning Hacks For A Tidier Space In No Time
Modified: September 10, 2023
Discover 22 genius living room storage hacks to effortlessly declutter and organize your space in no time. Transform your home into a tidier, more functional haven with these brilliant ideas.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to the ultimate guide on genius house cleaning hacks! We all know that keeping our living spaces clean and organized can sometimes feel like an overwhelming task. But fear not, because we have gathered a collection of 22 genius cleaning hacks that will help you maintain a tidy space in no time!
Whether you’re dealing with a messy kitchen, a cluttered bedroom, or a dirty bathroom, these hacks are designed to make your cleaning routine more efficient and effective. From quick and easy tips to avoid the dreaded scrubbing, to clever tricks to tackle those hard-to-reach areas, we’ve got you covered.
So let’s dive in and discover these brilliant cleaning hacks that will not only save you time and effort, but also leave your home sparkling clean from top to bottom.
Kitchen Cleaning Hacks
The kitchen is often the heart of the home, but it can also be a hotbed for dirt, grease, and grime. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you keep your kitchen spotless:
- Natural Oven Cleaner: Mix baking soda and water to create a paste, then spread it on the inside of your oven. Let it sit overnight, and then wipe away the grime with a damp cloth. This natural solution is effective and chemical-free.
- Stainless Steel Shine: To remove fingerprints and smudges from stainless steel appliances, rub a small amount of olive oil or baby oil onto a microfiber cloth and buff the surface. This will leave your appliances looking shiny and streak-free.
- Citrus Garbage Disposal Cleaner: To freshen up your garbage disposal, cut a lemon into small pieces and run them through it. The citrus scent will eliminate any unpleasant odors, leaving your kitchen smelling fresh.
- Non-Stick Pan Reviver: If your non-stick pans are losing their effectiveness, sprinkle some salt on them and heat them over medium heat for a few minutes. This will help restore their non-stick properties.
- Microwave Cleaner: Fill a microwave-safe bowl with water and a few slices of lemon. Microwave it for several minutes until the water boils and steam forms. The steam will loosen any food stains, making it easier to wipe them away.
- Grout Cleaner: Make a paste with equal parts baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, then apply it to the grout lines in your kitchen tiles. Let it sit for a few minutes, scrub with a toothbrush, and rinse with water. Your grout will be sparkling clean.
- Coffee Maker Descaler: To remove mineral deposits and keep your coffee maker running smoothly, fill the water reservoir with equal parts water and white vinegar. Run a brewing cycle, then follow with a few cycles of plain water to rinse.
- Cutting Board Freshener: Sprinkle coarse salt over a cutting board and rub it with half a lemon. Rinse with water, and your cutting board will be clean and odor-free.
These kitchen cleaning hacks will not only save you time and effort, but they will also help you maintain a clean and inviting space for your culinary adventures.
Bathroom Cleaning Hacks
The bathroom is one area that requires regular cleaning to maintain hygiene and freshness. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to make the task easier and more efficient:
- Vinegar Showerhead Cleaner: Fill a plastic bag with white vinegar, place it over the showerhead, and secure it with a rubber band. Leave it overnight, then remove the bag and run the shower to rinse away any residue. This will remove mineral deposits and improve water flow.
- Toilet Bowl Ring Remover: Drop a few denture cleaning tablets into the toilet bowl and let them fizz. Use a toilet brush to scrub away the stubborn stains, and then flush. The effervescent action of the tablets will help break down the ring.
- Mirror Streak Remover: Mix equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto your bathroom mirror, then wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth or newspaper. This will leave your mirror sparkling and streak-free.
- Tile and Grout Cleaner: Make a paste with baking soda and water, and apply it to the grout lines between your bathroom tiles. Scrub with a toothbrush and rinse with water. This will help remove dirt and grime, restoring the shine to your tiles.
- Shower Curtain Refresh: To remove mildew and soap scum from your shower curtain, toss it into the washing machine with a few towels and add half a cup of baking soda. Use a gentle cycle with warm water, and hang it to dry afterwards.
- Makeup Brush Cleaner: Mix a few drops of gentle shampoo with warm water in a bowl. Swirl your makeup brushes in the solution, then rinse with water and reshape the bristles. Lay them flat to dry, and they’ll be clean and ready to use.
- Grime-Free Grout: Apply a paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to the grout lines on your bathroom floor. Let it sit for a few minutes, scrub with a grout brush, and rinse with water. This will leave your grout looking fresh and bright.
- Drain Deodorizer: Pour half a cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by half a cup of vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes, then flush with hot water. This will eliminate any odors and keep your drains flowing smoothly.
With these bathroom cleaning hacks, you can tackle even the toughest grime and keep your bathroom looking clean and inviting. Say goodbye to the hassle, and hello to a fresh and sparkling bathroom!
Bedroom Cleaning Hacks
Your bedroom is your sanctuary, a place of relaxation and rejuvenation. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you keep your bedroom clean and organized:
- Dust-Off Lampshades: Use a lint roller or a dry microfiber cloth to remove dust and lint from lampshades. Roll the lint roller or gently wipe the cloth over the surface to pick up any debris.
- Pillow Refresher: Place your pillows in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls or dryer balls. Set it on low heat and let it run for 15-20 minutes. This will fluff up your pillows and remove any odors.
- Mattress Cleaning: Sprinkle baking soda over your mattress and let it sit for a few hours to absorb odors. Vacuum thoroughly to remove the baking soda. Flip the mattress and repeat the process on the other side.
- Closet Organization: Use hanging shoe organizers to keep your closet tidy. They’re perfect for storing accessories, small items, and even shoes. Hang them on the inside of your closet door for easy access.
- Quick Clothes Sorting: Place a hamper or laundry basket in your bedroom for quickly sorting dirty clothes. This will help prevent clothes from piling up on the floor and make laundry day more efficient.
- Under-Bed Storage: Utilize the space under your bed for storage by using vacuum-sealed bags or under-bed storage containers. This is a great way to store seasonal clothing or extra bedding.
- Mirror Cleaner: Mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto your bedroom mirror and wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth or newspaper. This will remove smudges and leave your mirror sparkling.
- De-Clutter Nightstand: Keep your nightstand clutter-free by using drawer organizers or small baskets to store essentials like glasses, books, and charging cables. This will create a clean and serene environment for a good night’s sleep.
With these bedroom cleaning hacks, you can create a peaceful and organized space that promotes rest and relaxation. Say goodbye to clutter and hello to a rejuvenating bedroom retreat.
Living Room Cleaning Hacks
The living room is where we gather with family and friends, making it a high-traffic area that can easily get messy. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you keep your living room clean and inviting:
- Dust-Off Electronics: Use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe down your TV, computer screens, and other electronic devices. This will remove dust and smudges without scratching the surfaces.
- Furniture Refresh: Sprinkle baking soda on your upholstered furniture and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Use a handheld vacuum or brush attachment to thoroughly remove the baking soda. This will eliminate odors and freshen up your furniture.
- Coffee Table Organizer: Use decorative trays or baskets on your coffee table to keep remote controls, magazines, and other items organized and easily accessible. This will reduce clutter and create a clean and tidy living room.
- Carpet Stain Remover: Mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the solution directly on carpet stains, let it sit for a few minutes, then blot with a clean cloth. This will help lift and remove stubborn stains.
- Window Blinds Cleaner: Wrap a pair of tongs with microfiber cloths or socks. Secure the cloths with rubber bands. Use the tongs to clean both sides of your window blinds simultaneously, quickly removing dust and dirt.
- Remote Control Sanitizer: Wipe down your remote controls with disinfectant wipes or a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol. This will help remove germs and keep your living room free from bacteria.
- Floor Sweeper: Use a microfiber mop or dust mop to quickly clean your living room floor. This will pick up dust and pet hair, leaving your floors looking clean and tidy.
- Curtain Revival: Place your curtains in the dryer along with a damp towel. Set it on the lowest heat setting for 10 minutes. The steam from the towel will help remove wrinkles, leaving your curtains looking fresh and neat.
With these living room cleaning hacks, you can create a welcoming and pristine space for relaxation and entertainment. Say goodbye to clutter and hello to a clean and inviting living room!
Laundry Room Cleaning Hacks
The laundry room is where we tackle one of the never-ending chores: laundry. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you keep your laundry room organized and efficient:
- Lint Trap Deep Clean: Remove the lint trap from your dryer and soak it in warm, soapy water for a few minutes. Use a soft brush or toothbrush to gently scrub away any residue. Rinse thoroughly and let it dry completely before reinserting.
- Washing Machine Freshener: Run a cycle with hot water and vinegar to clean and deodorize your washing machine. Add two cups of vinegar to the detergent dispenser, start the cycle, and let it run. This will remove buildup and eliminate odors.
- Organized Laundry Supplies: Use storage bins or caddies to keep your laundry supplies neat and accessible. Sort items such as detergent, fabric softener, and dryer sheets. This will make the laundry process more efficient and reduce clutter.
- Stain Removal Station: Create a stain removal station by attaching a small shelf or magnetic strip on the wall in your laundry room. Keep items like stain removers, brushes, and laundry pre-treatment products within easy reach.
- Dryer Sheet Dusting: Use a dryer sheet to quickly dust your laundry room. The anti-static properties of the dryer sheet will attract dust particles, leaving surfaces clean and static-free.
- Sorting Baskets: Set up sorting baskets or hampers in your laundry room to make it easier to separate clothes by color, fabric type, or washing instructions. This will streamline the laundry process and prevent mixing.
- Lint Roller for Pet Hair: Use a lint roller to quickly remove pet hair from your laundry room floor and surfaces. Roll it over clothing, shelves, and other areas where pet hair tends to accumulate.
- Deodorize Smelly Clothes: Add a cup of baking soda to your laundry load to help eliminate odors from smelly clothes. This natural deodorizer will freshen up your laundry.
With these laundry room cleaning hacks, you can create a clean and organized space for tackling your laundry tasks. Say goodbye to clutter and hello to an efficient and fresh laundry room!
Entryway Cleaning Hacks
The entryway is the first impression of your home, and it’s important to keep it clean and welcoming. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you maintain a tidy and organized entryway:
- No-Shoe Policy: Encourage family members and guests to remove their shoes at the door. This will prevent dirt, debris, and germs from being tracked into your home.
- Shoe Storage Solution: Use a shoe rack or shoe cubbies to keep shoes organized and off the floor. This will prevent clutter and create a neat entryway.
- Coat and Bag Hooks: Install hooks or a coat rack near your entryway to hang coats, bags, and umbrellas. This will prevent them from being thrown on chairs or the floor.
- Entryway Mat: Place a durable and easy-to-clean mat at the entrance of your home. This will help trap dirt and moisture, keeping your floors cleaner for longer.
- Mail Organization: Set up a mail organizer or a designated spot for incoming mail. Sort it regularly to prevent a buildup of paper clutter in your entryway.
- Key Tray: Create a designated area for keys, such as a small tray or decorative bowl. This will keep them organized and prevent the stress of searching for lost keys.
- Mirror Cleanse: Use a mixture of water and vinegar to clean the mirror in your entryway. Spray the mixture onto a microfiber cloth and wipe the mirror clean. This will remove smudges and fingerprints.
- Wipe Down Surfaces: Regularly wipe down surfaces, such as tables, shelves, and decor, in your entryway. Use a damp cloth or a multi-surface cleaner to remove dust and keep your entryway looking fresh.
- Basket for Small Items: Keep a small basket near the entryway to collect small items like sunglasses, hats, and gloves. This will prevent them from being scattered around and make it easier to find them when needed.
- Refreshing Scent: Use a scented air freshener or place a bowl of potpourri in your entryway to create a welcoming and pleasant aroma for guests and family members.
With these entryway cleaning hacks, you can create a clean and organized space that sets a positive tone for the rest of your home. Say goodbye to clutter and hello to a welcoming entryway!
Home Office Cleaning Hacks
A clean and organized home office is essential for productivity and focus. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you maintain a tidy and efficient work environment:
- Declutter Your Desk: Start by clearing off your desk and only keep the essentials within reach. Store items like pens, notebooks, and sticky notes in organizers or drawers to reduce visual distractions.
- Dust Electronics: Use a microfiber cloth or a soft brush to gently remove dust from your computer monitor, keyboard, and other electronic devices. This will keep them clean and in good working condition.
- Cable Management: Tidy up cables and cords using Velcro ties or cable clips. This will prevent them from tangling and make it easier to locate and access the right cables when needed.
- Keyboard Deep Clean: Turn off your computer and unplug your keyboard. Use compressed air or a small brush to remove dust and debris between the keys. Wipe the keys with a cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol to sanitize.
- Filing System: Create a filing system for important documents and papers. Use labeled folders or a filing cabinet to keep everything organized and easily accessible when needed.
- Disinfect Surfaces: Regularly disinfect your desk surface, keyboard, mouse, and other frequently touched areas. Use disinfectant wipes or a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to keep your workspace clean and germ-free.
- Monitor Cleaner: Use a mix of equal parts water and vinegar or a special screen-cleaning solution to wipe down your computer monitor. Use a microfiber cloth to avoid scratching the screen.
- Dust-Free Shelves: Keep your office shelves dust-free by using open baskets or storage containers to store items. This will prevent dust buildup and make it easier to wipe down the shelves when cleaning.
- Paper Recycling System: Set up a paper recycling bin or shredder for documents you no longer need. This will prevent paper clutter and make it easier to dispose of sensitive information.
- Trash Bin Placement: Keep a small trash bin within reach of your desk for quick and easy disposal of small items like used sticky notes, wrappers, and other office waste.
With these home office cleaning hacks, you can create a clean and organized workspace that promotes productivity and concentration. Say goodbye to clutter and hello to an efficient and inviting home office!
Closet Cleaning Hacks
A well-organized closet can make finding your clothes and accessories a breeze. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you declutter and maintain a tidy closet:
- Empty and Sort: Start by completely emptying your closet and sorting items into categories such as shirts, dresses, pants, and accessories. This will allow you to see what you have and make better decisions on what to keep.
- Declutter and Donate: As you sort through your items, set aside clothes and accessories that you no longer wear or need. Donate them to charity or sell them online. This will free up space and make your closet more manageable.
- Use Slim Hangers: Replace bulky hangers with slim, non-slip hangers. They take up less space and prevent clothes from slipping off. This will create a more uniform and organized look in your closet.
- Color Code: Arrange your clothes by color to create a visually appealing and easy-to-navigate closet. This will make it quicker to find specific items and put together outfits.
- Shelf Dividers: Use shelf dividers to keep folded items, such as sweaters and jeans, neat and organized. This will prevent them from toppling over and getting mixed up.
- Accessory Organizers: Use hanging organizers or decorative hooks to store accessories like scarves, belts, and handbags. This will keep them visible and easily accessible.
- Shoe Storage: Utilize shoe racks, shoe shelves, or clear shoe containers to store and display your shoes. This will keep them organized and protected from dust and damage.
- Drawer Dividers: Use drawer dividers or small containers to keep underwear, socks, and accessories organized and separated. This will save you time and frustration when searching for specific items.
- Seasonal Rotation: If you have limited closet space, consider rotating your clothes seasonally. Store out-of-season items in under-bed storage containers or vacuum-sealed bags. This will free up space and keep your closet clutter-free.
- Mirror Placement: Install a full-length mirror on the inside or outside of your closet door. This will allow you to quickly check your outfit and make adjustments without leaving the room.
With these closet cleaning hacks, you can transform your closet into an organized and functional space. Say goodbye to clutter and hello to a stress-free and stylish wardrobe!
Garage Cleaning Hacks
The garage is often a space that gets neglected when it comes to cleaning and organization. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you declutter and maintain a clean garage:
- Declutter and Sort: Begin by decluttering your garage and sorting items into categories such as tools, sports equipment, and seasonal items. This will help you identify what can be donated, sold, or discarded.
- Wall Storage: Maximize your garage space by installing wall storage solutions such as pegboards, slat walls, or hooks. Utilize these to hang tools, bicycles, and other frequently used items.
- Overhead Storage: Take advantage of the ceiling space in your garage by installing overhead storage racks. Use them to store bins of seasonal items or rarely used belongings, keeping the floor clear.
- Floor Cleaning: Remove all items from the garage floor and thoroughly sweep or vacuum. If needed, use a pressure washer or hose to wash away dirt and stains. This will give your garage a fresh and clean look.
- Trash and Recycling Area: Create a designated area for trash and recycling bins in your garage. This will help keep the floor clear of clutter and make it easier to manage waste disposal.
- Oil Stain Remover: Sprinkle cat litter or baking soda over oil stains on your garage floor. Let it sit for a few hours to absorb the oil, then sweep or vacuum it up. Repeat if necessary, and then scrub with a mixture of warm water and dish soap.
- Group Similar Items: Keep items like gardening tools and automotive supplies grouped together. Use labeled bins or shelves to store these items, making them easier to find when needed.
- Paint Organization: Use a pegboard or wall-mounted rack to store and organize cans of paint. Hang brushes and rollers nearby for easy access. This will keep your paint supplies visible and in good condition.
- Power Tools: Keep power tools organized and off the ground by using dedicated hooks or wall-mounted holders. This will prevent damage and make it easier to find the right tool for the job.
- Make Use of Corners: Utilize corners of your garage by installing corner shelves or racks. These can be used to store bulky items or items that don’t fit well elsewhere.
With these garage cleaning hacks, you can transform your garage into an organized and functional space. Say goodbye to clutter and hello to a clean and efficient garage!
Outdoor Cleaning Hacks
Outdoor spaces require regular maintenance to keep them clean and inviting. Here are some genius cleaning hacks to help you tackle outdoor cleaning tasks:
- Pressure Washing: Use a pressure washer to clean outdoor surfaces such as decks, patios, and driveways. This powerful tool will remove dirt, grime, and algae, leaving surfaces looking fresh and revitalized.
- Window and Glass Cleaner: Mix equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle and use it to clean outdoor windows and glass surfaces. Wipe them clean with a microfiber cloth or newspaper for streak-free results.
- Garden Hose Rinse: Use a garden hose with a spray attachment to rinse off outdoor furniture, play equipment, and hard-to-reach areas. This will remove dust and dirt, keeping your outdoor space looking clean.
- Patio Furniture Refresh: To clean outdoor furniture, mix warm water with mild dish soap. Scrub the furniture using a soft brush or sponge, then rinse thoroughly. Allow it to air dry in the sun before use.
- Gutter Cleaning: Use a gutter-cleaning attachment on your garden hose or a telescoping gutter cleaning tool to remove leaves and debris from your gutters. This will prevent clogs and ensure proper drainage.
- Grill Grate Cleaner: Preheat your grill, then scrub the grates with a grill brush to remove any residue. For stubborn grease or burnt-on food, create a paste with baking soda and water, apply it to the grates, and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing and rinsing.
- Pool Maintenance: Keep your pool clean by regularly skimming the surface, cleaning out the skimmer basket, and checking the water chemistry. Use a pool net to remove leaves and debris, and regularly vacuum the pool floor.
- Outdoor Rug Revival: If you have an outdoor rug, simply brush off any loose dirt or debris. Then, mix warm water with mild dish soap and scrub the rug with a soft brush. Rinse it thoroughly and allow it to air dry.
- Driveway Stain Removal: For oil stains on your driveway, sprinkle baking soda or cat litter over the stain and let it sit for several hours or overnight to absorb the oil. Then, sweep it up and scrub the area with a mixture of warm water and dish soap.
- Weed Control: Use a weed killer or apply vinegar directly onto weeds to eliminate them from your outdoor spaces. Regularly pulling weeds by hand can also help prevent them from spreading.
With these outdoor cleaning hacks, you can keep your outdoor areas looking clean and well-maintained. Say goodbye to dirt and grime and hello to an inviting outdoor space!
Cleaning and organizing your living space can be a daunting task, but with these genius cleaning hacks, you can make it easier and more efficient. From the kitchen to the garage, each area of your home can benefit from these tips and tricks that will save you time, effort, and frustration.
By incorporating these cleaning hacks into your routine, you can maintain a clean and organized living environment, enhancing both the functionality and aesthetic appeal of your space. These hacks are designed to tackle specific areas, such as the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room, laundry room, entryway, home office, closet, and even the outdoors.
From natural cleaning solutions to smart organization ideas, these hacks cover a range of cleaning challenges. Whether it’s removing stubborn stains, freshening up spaces, eliminating clutter, or tackling seasonal tasks, you’ll find solutions that suit your needs in each area of your home.
With an optimized cleaning routine, you can enjoy a tidier living space, reduced stress, and a more enjoyable lifestyle. These hacks not only save you time and effort but also allow you to fully enjoy and appreciate the comfort and beauty of your home.
So, say goodbye to cleaning headaches and hello to a cleaner, more organized living space. Incorporate these genius cleaning hacks into your routine and see how they can transform your home into a place of tranquility and order. Happy cleaning!