Crafty DIY Picture Frame Ideas To Beautify Your Home
Published: December 1, 2021
Don't have a budget for a customized photo frame? Try making your own DIY picture frame instead! Get to know how to create stunning frame with this guide.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
If we put up photos on the wall without using picture frames, it will look like a collective mess. You could opt for customized picture frame services to make the wall photos look more organized, but these services are quite expensive. A better solution would be making DIY picture frames.
The advantage of using DIY picture frames is you get to save money. You can create a picture frame out of cardboard or popsicle sticks. Add some paint and decorations, and you got a picture frame to display on your walls (or desks). Since it’s a DIY project, you can use anything at your disposal. The important thing here is to just let your creative juices flow so you’ll be able to create an aesthetic picture frame.
How to DIY a Picture Frame
A popular DIY picture frame project is a custom wood frame not only because it is highly durable, but also because of its classy, homey look. However, since most custom wood frames require power tools, it can be a difficult DIY project to start with. You might want to start with something easy to make. For example, a DIY twig picture frame.
Things You’ll Need:
Each side should at least have five sticks to make the frame more durable. If you use natural twigs, clean them first, and cut them to the same length. Lay them on your table, forming a frame, and glue the sticks together at each side using hot glue.
Grab the twine rope and wrap it around at a corner, forming an “X”. Do this a couple of times at each corner to secure the frame.
This step is optional. You could apply a coat of gold metallic acrylic paint to the frame to seal it. Also, add some flowers and other craft embellishments to make it look more aesthetic.
Instead of directly gluing your photos on the frame, you could use a piece of parchment paper to attach the pictures. After that, use hot glue to stick the parchment paper on the twig frame.
Tie a long piece of twine on top of the frame for hanging. The length depends on the size of your frame, but usually, a 6-inch twine is enough for a standard 4 x 6 picture frame.
If a twig picture frame seems too much work, but you still want to try out making a DIY picture frame, then try looking for readily made crafting tools. Below, we listed some basic materials that will give you a head start on your DIY picture frame project. A quick reminder before you start buying these materials: make sure you purchase a craft storage table first. Remember that it’s much easier to work on DIY projects with a proper table to work on.
Crafty DIY Picture Frame Canvases To Begin Your DIY Project
Start with a Blank Canvas
A “blank canvas” means anything you can use as a base material for making a picture frame. It could either be an unfinished wooden frame or a plain frame. This is much easier than building a picture frame from scratch. Here are some of the products that we recommend:
If you want a durable DIY picture frame, you may want to consider buying these Unfinished Wooden Frames from Wallniture. Since it’s made of wood, you can easily customize it. Most types of paint adhere to wood, and you only have to use PVA or wood glue to attach some decorations. This DIY picture wood frame is also safe for kids because it uses a plexiglass photo protector, instead of fragile glass.
- High-quality wood
- Plexiglass photo protector
- Set of 10
- A 4 x 6-inch photo will fit
- Either mount it on the wall or display it on your desk
- Plexiglass photo protector keeps photos in good condition
- Lack of protective sheet on the plexiglass
Here’s another DIY picture frame that is very easy to customize. It comes with a blank border paper that could be used to decorate the frame with stickers, foam cut-outs, and other craft embellishments. After you finish decorating, you only have to insert the border paper into the frame. It’s as simple as that!
- High-quality wood
- Plexiglass photo protector
- Set of 10
- A 4 x 6-inch photo will fit
- Use the detachable easel stand if you want to display it on a table
- Allows you to display the frame either horizontally or vertically
- Doesn’t come with extra “frame inserts” or blank border papers
DIY clothespin picture frames are popular on Instagram and Pinterest not only because are they easy to install, but because they also look stylish and homey. If this is the look you want to achieve, we recommend these Kraft Paper Frames from Enenes. It’s a complete set of DIY picture frames with wooden clips and jute string.
- Full back design
- Simple art paper picture frame
- Overall frame size is 7 ⅕ inches tall and 5 3/10 inches wide
- Frame window size is 5 3/10 inches tall and x 3 ⅗ inches wide
- Includes 30 paper frames, 10 wooden clips, and an 80-inch jute string
- Great for parties and events
- Recyclable and easy to use wooden clips
- Get the freedom to decorate the paper picture frame
- Small frame cutouts
Your kids might feel bored at home, so give them something creative to do. Doing crafts and arts is beneficial for them as it enhances their motor skills and helps expand their imagination. For starters, you could introduce them to DIY picture frame projects.
If it’s for kids, it’s better to start with simple art materials such as this DIY Cardboard Picture Frame from Juvale. It comes in 10 different colors, and the best part is, each frame has a pre-cut setup stand at the back.
- Vivid, rainbow colors
- Pre-cut setup stand
- Display window is 3.5 inches x 5 inches
- Frame dimensions are 4.7 inches x 7 inches
- Drawing and writing on the craft paper is very easy
- Setup stand allows you to display photos vertically or horizontally
- A bit difficult to insert the photo in the frame
People Who Search For DIY Picture Frame Also Search For
Gather Your Craft Tools
Don’t limit yourself to basic crafting tools such as stickers and paint. You can try experimenting with different scrapbooking materials such as washi tapes, stencils, and glitters. For example, you could try using some of these DIY picture frame ornaments and art paints below. Just don’t forget to store them in a craft storage drawer later to keep your workstation clutter-free.
When painting a DIY picture wood frame, make sure to use acrylic paint. Not only is it the cheapest way to paint wood, but it is also easy to work with because it dries easily. Consider choosing this FolkArt Acrylic Paint Set if you want your picture frame to have a beautiful matte finish.
Acrylic paint is also easy to clean. If you accidentally smudged some paint on a varnished wooden table, you can remove it using only hot soapy water. Meanwhile, if the paint dries on non-porous surfaces, just use rubbing alcohol.
- Versatile paint kit
- Creamy, smooth consistency
- Matte finish
- 18 pieces of 2 oz. acrylic paint
- Great for blending and shading
- Easy to clean water-based paint
- Can be used on almost all types of surfaces (styrofoam, wood, paper, etc.)
- Wooden frames need to be primed first to ensure the paint will last longer.
Have you been practicing calligraphy lately? You could use these skills while making DIY picture frames. Add calligraphic letters and write inspirational quotes to make picture frames look more eye-catching. Try this decorating style with these Acrylic Paint Pens from Niutop. They are much better than regular colored pens because they work on almost any type of surface.
- Safe, non-toxic paint markers
- Includes 24 paint markers
- Line size is 0.7 millimeter
- A wide selection of colors
- Smooth-flowing colored markers
- Paint appears vibrant upon application
- Tends to leak if the marker is almost out of paint
Using stickers is the fastest and easiest way to DIY a picture frame. However, they leave unsightly marks once you peel them off. Luckily, these Elwish Jewel Stickers won’t leave any sticky residue, so feel free to remove and adjust their position on the picture frame.
Moreover, these stickers are much better than flimsy stationery stickers because of their 3D gem-like design. They stand out, so your picture frames will look more attractive.
- Self-adhesive stickers
- High-quality acrylic stickers
- Includes 8 sheets of jewel stickers
- A total of 365 pieces of jewel stickers
- Great craft activity for kids
- Won’t leave sticky residue marks
- Available in different shapes and colors
- Adhesive on the small stickers is not strong enough
Here’s a good alternative to gem stickers: DIY foam stickers. Not only are they colorful, but they also have a glittery appearance. Aesthetics aside, these foam stickers are very convenient to use as you only have to peel off the white sheet at the back to reveal the adhesive.
- Soft, EVA foam
- Cute stars and hearts stickers
- A total of 260 foam stickers
- Heart length range is 1.5-4.5 cm
- Star length range is 1.8-3.5 cm
- No messy glue
- Available in different colors and sizes
- Quite expensive for children crafts
Must-Have DIY Picture Frame Kits
If it is too much work to buy crafting materials individually, you can just look for a complete DIY picture frame kit. Usually, they come with paint and stickers already, so it saves you from the hassle of separately buying the decorations.
Make DIY picture frame projects easy with this Karsspor Craft Kit. It includes all the basic crafting tools: a paint set with paintbrushes, gem stickers, and wooden picture frames. Bring this during get-togethers and house parties, so you and your family have something fun to do.
- Wooden frame
- Exquisite gem stickers
- Holds a 4” x 6” photo
- Includes 2 paint sets, 2 paintbrushes, 2 sheets of gem stickers
- Complete DIY picture frame kit
- Helps cultivate a child’s creativity
- Wood is quite thin
Are you easily attracted to cute and girly things? If yes, then you’ll absolutely love this DIY Picture Frame Kit from Purple Ladybug. It comes with pink and gold glitters with two sheets of sparkling stickers. Moreover, unlike most DIY kits with flimsy cardboard frames, this one has a picture frame made from high-quality wood. So, rest assured it will last for a long time.
- Durable wood photo frame
- Vibrant craft embellishments
- Will fit a 4” x 6” or 5” x 7” photo
- Includes 1 wood picture frame, gold & pink glitters, 1 glitter applicator, 5 sheets of foil transfers, and 2 sheets of transfer designs
- No messy glue
- Great DIY project for kids
- Glitter is messy
Picture frames are probably one of your least priorities when buying home decor. They may seem insignificant, but they are more important than you think. Aside from using them as protective cases for photos, they could also be a focal point in the room. However, this doesn’t mean you have to buy expensive picture frames. Instead, you could make DIY picture frames if you have a specific style in mind. Besides, DIY craft projects like these are fun activities you could do with your kids. Not only do you get an aesthetic picture frame, but you also get to spend quality time with your family.
Aside from decorating your home with crafty picture frames, you may want to check out some of these awesome wall decor ideas. Get some tips on how to spruce the walls without overwhelming them with stuff.