15 Knot-Free Yarn Storage Ideas To Store Your Yarn Stash
Modified: February 7, 2023
Untangle your yarn problems with these 15 best yarn storage ideas for that knot-free and organized yarn collection at home.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Crafting has regained its popularity since quarantine started. People have been grabbing yarns, needles, and hooks in an effort to combat boredom or just discover a new hobby. Now before you get adventurous working on knitting or crocheting projects, know that you’ll face tangled yarns and unorganized workstations a lot. With this, we present to you the 15 best yarn cases to make needlework bearable and stress-free.
Why Use a Yarn Storage Case
Unorganized yarns are the worst. The moment you pull some strings on a skein of yarn, the strands will flail everywhere. The irony here is that knitting, crocheting, and other forms of needlework are supposed to help you stay calm and relieve stress. Now, don’t lose hope. With the right yarn storage system, you can prevent the raveling and splicing of threads to make your knitting and crocheting sessions a fulfilling experience.
Not only do yarn storage cases provide shelter to your yarn stash, but you can also practically design them to become the focal point of your room. With creative yarn storage, you can always admire the colorful array of yarns while crafting.
Do’s and Don’ts of Yarn Storage
Yarns can be both easy and hard to store. While many turn the process into a professional business, keeping your precious yarns and other crafting supplies in tiptop shape is essential. Depending on the yarn type and the cost of supplies, it’s best to know the do’s and don’ts when executing the yarn storage ideas you have in mind.
Don’t store yarn in plastic bags
Plastic bags are a big no. Though it’s tempting to store your yarn in plastic bags to avoid fading and pigment contamination, plastic creates a hostile environment for your threads. Animal threads tend to hold water even if it seems dry in the first place. As a result, when inside plastic bags, water from strands create a humid climate. This becomes an ideal place for mold to grow.
Keep away from direct sunlight
The sun is also a furious enemy of your beloved yarn. When exposed to the sun’s extreme heat, yarn color may fade instantly and the fiber may lose its luster. You can use woven bins, non-clear containers, or even a designated craft cabinet to safely store your supplies. Additionally, if you don’t have enough storage space, you can put them in clean pillowcases as long as the area is well-ventilated.
Look for moths
Got moths in your yarn? The best thing to do is throw them away. It might be disheartening, but it is the fastest way to get rid of the insects. Moths love to lay eggs on animal fibers as the larvae need natural fibers to procreate as the cycle continues. If you don’t want your good fiber yarn to go to waste, you can instead put them in the oven at 120 degrees F. for 30 minutes. You can even use herbal moth control such as cedar and lavender to steer these creatures away from your stash.
15 Best Yarn Storage Ideas To Try
Protect your yarns and other craft supplies with this handy yarn organizer bag. You get to keep your things all in one carrier that is also available in different colorful designs. This yarn storage bag also has three separate holes for easier changing of colors when working with a multi-color project. Indeed, this is a great-sized yarn storage bag with pockets that can hold your needles, hooks, and other supplies.
- Has 3 holes on top to avoid knotting
- Durable, lightweight, and portable design
- 14.17 inches x 6.1 inches x 7.28 inches
- Great when traveling
- Has a large pocket for long tools
- Easy to carry and multiple colors to choose from
- Too small for large-sized projects
Be the boss of your creations with this yarn holder that’s ready to take in all your craft supplies. You can now get creative anytime and anywhere, thanks to this holder’s portable features. Its cylindrical design also makes it more unique and quirky, just like your projects. The wide grommets on top prevent yarns from tangling while keeping them safe and organized.
- Fits around 6 skeins of yarns
- With 6 oversized grommets for chunky yarns
- 12 inches x 12 inches x 10 inches
- Made with durable canvas
- Multiple pockets on sides
- Easy to store when not in use than square bags
- Can fit small projects only
If you’re away from home but itching to grab some yarn, then this spacious yet lightweight knitting tote is the one for you. This yarn storage bag has a clear window feature, so it’s easy to browse its contents. It also has adjustable and detachable straps, as well as foldable compartments, which are perfect for when you’re at home or out of town.
- Internal dividers to keep yarns separated
- Has 3 normal size and 2 large size grommets for variation
- 16.5 inches x 8.5 inches x 12.5
- Clear window feature for easy navigation
- Can be carried in two ways
- Multiple pockets all inside and outside
- Needs improvement in attaching the clear window to the bag
If you’re looking for something compact and portable, then you’re in luck with this yarn storage bag. This yarn bag is perfect for projects and commissions on the go like headbands, coasters, cup holders, and more. This handy yarn storage also has grommets to feed the yarn through to avoid messy and tangled yarns. You can now have fun and get paid while having a snag-free experience with this small yarn storage system.
- Durable and portable
- Has 4 grommet holes
- 11.5 inches x 6 inches x 6 inches
- Foldable and comes in 3 designs
- Perfect for carrying by hand or by the wrist
- Not recommended for bulky yarns
Look discreet in public when you use the Everything Mary Yarn Storage Tote Bag. No more troubles about carrying a large bag full of yarns because this yarn storage organizer fits three large yarns to continue your knitting or crochet project. It also has pockets on its top panel, so you’ll get plenty of room to store your hooks and other accessories.
- Portable and lightweight
- Clear inside pockets for easy viewing
- 11.25 inches x 3.25 inches x 8.5 inches
- Made of quality linen polyester material
- Long skeins fit in deep interior pockets
- Comes with an attached crochet hook case
- Needs handles for easy handling
Hanging/Wall-Mounted Yarn Storage
If you lack storage space for newly bought yarns, then a hanging organizer will solve the dilemma. This knitting organizer is ideal for yarn storage of all types and sizes. You’ll also get five compartments for you to display and group your yarns according to color or category while not taking up too much space at the same time.
- Clear PVC-compartments
- Heavy-duty and dust-resistant
- 15.74 inches x 49.21 inches x 3.93 inches
- Made of heavy-duty, polyester material
- Available in 3 colors
- Comes with 3 wall-mount hooks
- Contents may fall with a fully opened PVC door
One can DIY this hammock into a boho-themed yarn storage system when lacking additional space. Initially designed for toys, this storage hammock can cradle your yarns like a baby, away from the curious paws of your furry pets. With this, you’ll ultimately create a laid-back, cozy aesthetic that will make you enjoy crafting even more.
- Huge storage capacity
- Durable and frees up floor space
- 52 inches x 37 inches x 37 inches
- Comes with solid hooks, dense mesh, and an elastic border
- Easy to install
- Unique way to display yarns
- May look flimsy
- Not dust-resistant
- Can be hard to find buried yarns under the yarn pile
Make use of empty closet space with this yarn storage organizer that can hold a hefty amount of your yarn collection. Aside from the 6-shelf storage system you get, it also has pockets on the sides for hooks, needles and can even fit magazines and book patterns. More so, this particular yarn storage is only suitable for hanging on a clothes rack, due to its velcro strap.
- Has reinforced edges to hold its shape
- Space-saving and can hold a lot of yarn
- 11 inches x 11 inches x 48 inches
- Made of durable fabric material
- Easily see have in store
- Can be arranged by type and color
- Comes with a velcro strap, not a hook
- Prone to bugs, dust, and other hazards
- Will sag when stored with heavy materials
Are you looking for a versatile yarn storage system? Then try these wall-mounted wire baskets that can be hung together or rest on the floor. These baskets can be stacked or organized separately. By refashioning this wall organizer into a practical yarn storage system, you get to display your collection with ease and see what you have with just a glance. Wire baskets also allow you to feed the yarn through its holes for easier access — making your session painless and enjoyable.
- Durable, rustic-style storage system
- 3-tier compact design to save space
- Made of 2mm thick metal wire
- Each bin can hold up to 25 lbs
- Versatile storage rack
- Comes with a chalkboard for labeling
- May be difficult to assemble
When it comes to battling tangled threads and strands, your great helper can be this thread rack with hanging hooks for that space-saving detail. Aside from hanging it on a wall, it can stand freely on your craft table thanks to its easel-like leg stands. Say goodbye to digging through small compartments and yarn storage cabinets. You can now quickly locate your yarns all in one place.
- Holds up to 60 spools or 30 cones
- Can be hung on the wall or stand on a table
- 15.7 inches x 7 inches x 11 inches
- Made of durable, engineered-plastic material
- Versatile storage system
- Longer pegs for secure yarn placement
- Not recommended for bulky yarns
Floor-Standing Yarn Storage
Who knew that one could turn book shelving into yarn storage? If you’ve been accumulating yarn over the past year and don’t know how to store them, you can place them in this makeshift yarn storage. With all your yarns in view, you would be constantly be reminded of your stock and projects to work on.
- Holds up to 15 lbs
- Modern, minimalist design
- 17.3 inches x 7.4 inches x 43.3 inches
- Made of solid bamboo wood
- Comes with anti-tipping accessories
- Rubber footing prevents scratches on the floor
- Much assembly required
Store and stack your yarns all you want with this clear latching box for your yarn storage needs. You’ll quickly see what’s inside thanks to its see-through material. This storage box is the perfect-sized solution for small spaces. Plus, its latching lids ensure safety and security from unwanted critters, enthusiastic kids, and more.
- Anti-break and stackable
- Latching lid for added security
- 12.88 inches x 7.5 inches x 4.5 inches
- Made of durable polypropylene material
- BPA-free plastic
- Can be flimsy
- Suitable as a temporary yarn storage solution
Efficiently organize your yarn stash using this easy-to-assemble yarn storage organizer. This neat yarn storage solution helps keep your yarns well-ventilated while still having plenty of room for other accessories.
- Interlocking cubes
- Great for multiple configurations
- Composed of 6-pack wire cubes
- Made of powder-coated steel wire
- No tools required
- Blends with any decor
- Can be flimsy
Reduce clutter all around with attractively designed bins that are convenient to use for your yarn storage needs. You get to carry your essentials where you wish and store what you want all in one place. Undoubtedly, all items are safeguarded from mishaps since they’re all boxed up and secure.
- Collapsible feature
- Double stainless steel handle
- 17.7 inches x 11.8 inches x 11.4 inches
- Made of premium cotton linen and cardboard
- Modern-themed design
- Available in gray and red
- Not too sturdy
Instantly store your yarns and other essentials with this utility cart when you don’t have enough space at home. With heavy-duty wheels, this DIY yarn storage solution is perfect for making and carrying crochet and knitting project tools at any place inside the house with ease. Indeed, this flexible and advantageous yarn storage solution will get you rolling (and crafting) in no time.
- Heavy-duty and lockable wheels
- Detachable layers with cups for accessories
- 15.7 inches x 14.1 inches x 33.8 inches
- Made of alloy steel material
- Easy to assemble
- Customizable storage solution
- Bins are plastic and quite flimsy
Tangled yarns are inevitable. If organizing your yarn stash eats most of your precious time, then it’s time to invest in one of these 15 yarn storage ideas. And while you say goodbye to tangles, be sure to make your own space definitely yours by reading about hobby room tips to personalize your space.