Bath Sheet vs Bath Towel: Which Should You Buy?
Published: March 5, 2022
Modified: May 19, 2022
Settle the score between bath sheet vs bath towel and make bath time more efficient. Know the difference and feel the difference with the correct towel!
Only legends know the difference between a bath sheet and a bath towel. If you don’t, don’t worry, you’re still a legend for coming here. Knowing the difference between a bath sheet and a bath towel can make or break your overall bath experience, as picking the right one will determine how extra special your post-shower would be. Are you ready to be among the legends who know their linens and towels? Let’s get into it and make Martha Stewart proud.
Bath Sheet vs Bath Towel: What is the Main Difference?
Not many are aware that a bath sheet and a bath towel are different from each other. Well, there’s a reason why towel sets with the tiniest squares to the most expansive sheets exist. So, what exactly is the difference between a bath sheet and a bath towel? It’s the size! Bath sheets are bigger than bath towels.
A bath sheet measures between 35 inches by 60 inches to 40 inches by 70 inches, whereas a bath towel only goes as far as 30 inches by 56 inches. Knowing this difference might seem as unnecessary as noting the difference between a tea and a dessert spoon. However, if you want to make most of your bath essentials, it helps to be educated about their simple descriptions. Besides, bath time is sometimes the only pampering you get. So, you might as well do it the right way.
Do you Need a Bath Towel or a Bath Sheet?
If the difference in size doesn’t help you decide on whether you should get a bath sheet or a bath towel, here’s a quick guide you can follow. You can ask yourself these questions to determine the best choice for you.
- How many towels do you use after a bath?
If one towel is enough to dry you off after showering without leaving you awkwardly damp, a bath towel might be enough for you. However, if you’re the type of person who likes to keep your towel on and do magic in your bathroom vanity, a bath sheet might be a better option. Going through your skincare routine might not be as fun if you’re covered in a moist towel, so opt for a bath sheet instead. It will give you more room to work with, which won’t all be wet.
- How tall are you?
This question is important as the main difference between a bath sheet and a towel is their respective size. So, if you’re 7 feet or averagely tall, a bath sheet will offer you more coverage and overall drying capacity.
- Do you use your towel for other purposes?
Towels are versatile household items. They don’t only serve their purpose within your bathroom walls. If you plan on bringing your towel for other activities like going to the pool or the beach, then you’ll need something that won’t just dry you off. A bath sheet can not only provide more coverage but sun protection too! Did you forget to bring a beach mat? A bath sheet can help keep the sand at bay. But, if you only use your towel to dry yourself after showering, then a bath towel will suffice.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Using a Bath Sheet
If you’re leaning on getting a bath sheet instead, we don’t blame you! Nonetheless, we’re here to give you a 360-degree view of what you’re getting into, so are the benefits and the drawbacks of using a bath sheet:
- You don’t have to maneuver a bath sheet so much to look for a dry spot after showering because of its large surface area for absorption.
- A bath sheet feels more plush and posh.
- It is thicker compared to bath towels, which makes up for more efficient drying.
- The size of a bath sheet can wrap around your whole body for a more confident cover-up.
- A bath sheet is considered a luxury; therefore it is expensive.
- It can be too heavy to use when you just want to lounge around in a towel.
- You won’t be able to wrap your hair up with a bath sheet because it’s too big.
Best Bath Sheets
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using a Bath Towel
Now if you’re on team bath towel, here are the advantages and disadvantages of opting for one:
- Bath towels are incredibly lightweight and easier to handle when drying.
- They are more cost-efficient and affordable.
- You can easily hang them on door hangers or fit them inside small bathroom storage shelves.
- A bath towel can allow you to wrap your hair neatly without the burden of it unraveling.
- It has the ideal size for both adults and children.
- A bath towel can be a tight fit for people with bigger body frames.
- Bath towels are thinner in construction, so they’re not that durable.
- They are easily soaked.
Best Bath Towels
How to Choose the Right Bath Sheet and Towel
Whether you’re leaning towards bath sheets more than bath towels, you still need to do proper research before getting one. Towels and sheets are bathroom essentials that you use every day, so you should know how to choose the one that suits you best.
Check the Material and Fiber Content
Towels are usually made from cotton, bamboo, polyester, or microfiber. Make sure that the material you choose won’t give you any adverse effects, such as skin irritations. If you want to be sure, go for one with 100 percent cotton material. They are hypoallergenic, highly absorbent, and soft to touch, which is perfect for your freshly-showered self. You can go for a Turkish cotton bath sheet for that extra lush and plush feel or a durable cotton blend bath towel for everyday use.
Consider the Weight
When you go out to buy a bath towel or a bath sheet, one thing you’ll notice on the label is GSM or gram per square meter. This indicates the density of the towel, which will give you a better idea of how lightweight and absorbent it is. The higher the GSM means the towel is heavier, plusher, and more absorbent.
Keep in mind that a high GSM doesn’t automatically entail quality. However, the best bath sheets and towels in the market have an estimated 500 to 700 GSM. On the other hand, a 300 to 400 GSM towel is lightweight and perfect for gym and kitchen use.
Choose your Ideal Color and Design
It goes without question that the best bath sheet and bath towel is the one in your favorite colors. It has to at least match your style or the aesthetic of your bathroom wallpapers. Well, good thing bathroom interior design has gone beyond the immaculate white bathroom standard and is now one of the most fashionable places in your house. Towels now come in different colors and creative tufted designs for your everyday use and special DIY spa nights.
Determine the Purpose
Before committing to a towel, you have to specify its purpose. Sure, it’s mainly for after-bath drying, but as we mentioned, towels are versatile household items. Determining its function will significantly help you decide on other factors like the color, style, weight, and even material. For example, do you want a specific towel to bring with you to the beach? If yes, you’ll need one with at least 400 GSM.
How to Care for your Bath Sheets and Bath Towels
Now, we’re going to let you in on the secret to having a long-lasting and oh so soft towel! If you don’t want to buy new towels every year, you have to know how to properly maintain them. Just like anything else inside your home, a little TLC goes a long way. So, here are some tips you can follow to care for your bath sheets and bath towels”
- Before using your bath sheets, wash them first with half a cup of vinegar. You can maximize your towel’s efficiency and durability by putting them in a laundry cycle as it will open their fibers and reduce any lint. Washing them with vinegar will help set the dye and keep the colors vibrant.
- Never use liquid fabric softener when you wash your bath towels. It will cause a waxy buildup that will affect their absorbency.
- Give your towels a shake before you hang them to dry and before folding them. This will keep them plush and fluffy.
- Make sure you store your sheets and towels in a dry and well-ventilated space to prevent any molds or smells from forming.
- When you wash your towels, add half a cup of baking soda to your detergent to get rid of musty smells. This will provide extra anti-bacterial protection and keep your towels odor-free.
Bath Sheet vs Bath Towel: The Verdict
So, what is the verdict? You tell us! Bath sheets and bath towels are both excellent options to complete your post-shower experience, but each individual has a different opinion. We hope you find the best choice for you from our quick bath sheet vs. bath towel guide. We also hope you develop a bigger sense of appreciation for the mundane items that make life easy. Knowing the difference between a bath sheet and a towel might not seem significant in your everyday routine, but it can remind you that you deserve the best even when it comes to the littlest of things.
When you finally make your choice on whether to buy a bath sheet or a bath towel, check out our electric towel warmers! These storage units are perfect for moments when you want an impromptu warm hug from your towel.