12 Best Folding Step Stool Picks For Your Kitchen and Garage
Modified: February 7, 2023
A folding step stool gives the boost you need to reach those high shelves. Pick one out from our list of favorites right here!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
We can all use a leg up once in a while. Reaching for something on a high shelf, cleaning out the cupboards, or even climbing into a tall bed can be made easier with the help of a stepping stool. However, these handy tools can sometimes be a bit of a hassle to tuck away and store. That’s where the folding step stool comes in.
What Is a Folding Step Stool?
A folding step stool is a compact, free-standing structure designed to serve as a height booster or a small chair. This foldable stool is often utilized to access high shelves or other tall, out-of-reach areas. Alternatively, it can also act as a garden or playroom seat. One main feature is its collapsible design, which makes it more portable and easy to store.
Types of Folding Step Stool
There are different types of stepping stools on the market today. Wood, plastic, and metal are the most common materials, each affecting a stool’s appearance and sturdiness. Apart from materials, folding step stools can also be classified by height. There are low one-step stools, medium-height two-step stools, and taller stools that have three or more steps.
Folding Step Stool Pros and Cons
Now, collapsible stools have a few benefits and drawbacks that you may wish to note before buying. This section aims to tell you not only why you should pick one up, but also what you need to look out for.
There are many pros to buying a collapsible stool. Primarily, they will give you easier access to the higher parts of your rooms. Most stools also provide a wide top step that’s easier and safer to stand on than a typical ladder. Additionally, many one-step stools can serve as a seat, which adds to their versatility.
Folding step stools have a few cons depending on their build quality and design. The main problem is that with more moving parts, there are more points of potential failure. If the material isn’t sturdy enough, then the hinges may break over time.
Pros and Cons Summary
- Helps you reach high places
- Wide top steps allow for safer standing space
- Single-step stools can double as a seat
- The foldable design creates more points of potential failure
Best Low Folding Step Stools
The one-step folding stools are the smallest and easiest to store. These are some of the most versatile options thanks to their ability to double as a place to sit. They may not be able to help you reach very high, but the few inches of extra height can do a lot.
A good item to start with is the Folding Wooden Step Stool from Jiodux. This excellent collapsible stepper is made with lovely light wood. Its thin frame combines well with the modern aesthetic to create an overall attractive design.
- Safe rounded corner design
- Bright wood material
- Non-skid pads on the feet
- 22 inches x 27.9 inches x 22.5 inches
- Very sturdy and lightweight
- Easy to fold
- Aesthetic appearance
- Difficult for children to open
The Non-Slip Metal Folding Step Stool from Ollieroo takes extra precautions when it comes to safety. Its wide top has a layer of grippy rubber that helps prevent accidents and falls. The quick-lock system for its legs also ensures that this stool won’t fold in on itself, giving you some peace of mind when you use it.
- Steel alloy material
- Quick lock system for legs
- Non-slip rubber top
- 6.8 inches x 18 inches x 13 inches
- Compact size
- Easy to store
- Strong and sturdy
- Folding has multiple steps
If you want a weather-resistant stool for the outdoors, try the One-Step Molded Folding Stool from Cosco. The lightweight plastic is hardy and not prone to rust or decay. It’s perfect for any gardener looking to hunker down with their plants or reach for that extra tall shelf in the garden shed.
- Lightweight plastic design
- Quick and compact folding mechanism
- Center support beam that doubles as a handle
- 9.84 inches x 14.02 inches x 8.46 inches
- Well-made and sturdy
- Clever and convenient handle
- Won’t rust over time
- Thicker and heavier than other plastic foldable stools
An extra light model is the Folding Step Stool Chair from Spranster. The clever puzzle-like design allows this particular compact stool to fold up into a low-profile package. It’s easy to carry, store, and utilize, making it an excellent and affordable option.
- Skid-resistant texture on the top and feet
- Spindle hinges designed for easy opening and folding
- Built-in carry handle
- 13 inches x 11 inches x 10.25 inches
- Folds and opens easily
- Affordable pricing
- Compact and easy to store
- Handle may crack over time
Best Medium Folding Step Stools
The foldable stools of medium height are usually those with two steps. Some of these stools can still be sat on comfortably, but they aren’t used for seating as often. They act more as stepping ladders with particularly wide top steps, perfect for giving you more sturdy footing.
For a no-nonsense construct, try the Ergonomic Folding Step Stool from EFFIELER. The anti-skid plates on the steps and the climbing handle on the top make for a protective and sturdy design. An easy locking mechanism is also built into the top step to make setting this stool up and taking it down that much easier.
- Increased stability for minimum shaking
- Rubber anti-skid plate on each step
- Reinforced, non-slip feet
- High-strength steel frame
- 16.2 inches x 2 inches x 33.8 inches
- Easily opens and closes with a lock inside the top step
- Sturdy frame and build quality
- Lightweight and compact
- The handle is a little low
If you want one set of steps that you can drag around the whole house, try the Folding Two-Step Stool from Topfun. The easy-to-lift stool is an excellent investment if you have a lot of tall, hard-to-reach places indoors and don’t want a stepping stool for every room.
- Anti-skid footpads and slip-resistant step textures
- New polypropylene plastic material
- Two-step folding design
- 15.35 inches x 13.18 inches x 17 inches
- Folds very flat and doesn’t take much room
- Easy to carry
- Sturdy build quality
- Tips over easily when not on level ground
For something high-end, take a look at the Premium Bamboo Folding Ladder Stool from Sorfey. This sleek piece of equipment has wood-styled aluminum steps coupled with an elegant black frame. It can make for a beautiful and functional accent piece in any room with tall shelving.
- Anti-slip, ribbed steps and rubberized feet
- Sturdy aluminum frame
- Extra-large top platform for stability
- 17.5 inches x 4.99 inches x 39 inches
- Beautiful and stylish design
- Sturdy and balanced build
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Decorative step lines may fall off over time
The Compact Folding Foot Stool from Rubbermaid has been praised for its sturdiness and longevity. It’s even able to stand on its own even when folded up. The dent-resistant plastic also stays strong for a good long time, making it a practical pickup that’s sure to last.
- Can carry up to 300 pounds
- Feet are padded with skid-resistant pads
- Built with dent-resistant plastic
- 24 inches x 4 inches x 4 inches
- Durable and lasts a long time
- Light but sturdy
- Can be used as a seat
- The plastic may get brittle when exposed to too much sunlight
People Who Search For Folding Step Stool Also Search For
Best Tall Folding Step Stools
Finally, we arrive at our top picks for tall folding step stools. These usually have three or more steps and give you stable footing for extra tall heights. They’re especially handy for reaching the ceiling or roof. Some can also serve as attractive shelves depending on their design.
The Sleek Three-Step Folding Ladder Stool from ASoopher is an excellent choice for those looking for an aesthetic set of steps. The aluminum alloy build comes in either matte black or elegant white, so you can match the color to your rooms.
- Aluminum alloy material
- Anti-slip treads on each step and rubber feet
- Safety lock mechanism
- 30 inches x 26.6 inches x 17.7 inches
- Extra light and easy to store
- Attractive enough to use as a decor piece
- Quick to set up
- Not easy to climb
For extra safety and stability, why not try the Wide Anti-Slip Pedal Folding Step Stool from HBTower? This set of steps comes with horseshoe-shaped feet that let it grip the ground more firmly when set up. In addition, the rubber handgrip at the top of the steps makes for easy climbing and helps you balance.
- Rubber handgrip for easy climbing
- Extra-wide, anti-slip steps
- Large, padded horseshoe feet
- 20.1 inches x 26.8 inches x 40.9 inches
- Cushioned handle help when climbing
- Wide steps make for easy maneuvering
- Light but sturdy frame
- Hard to assemble out of the box
If you want a little more bling to your step, pick up the Modern Aluminum Foldable Step Ladder from GameGem. This shiny construct has an eye-catching gold-brown metallic finish that’s sure to compliment many contemporary kitchens.
- Lined steps to help prevent slipping
- Ultra lightweight and durable aluminum frame
- Gold-brown metallic finish
- 65.7 inches x 35 inches x 18.7 inches
- Skinny when folded up
- Tall height but still feels stable
- Beautiful color
- The top step is narrow
The Three-Tier Wooden Folding Step Stool from Costzon is perhaps the most unique stepper on our list. It can serve as a display shelf, fold into a sitting stool, and transform into a handy step ladder, all with a simple pull. If you want a versatile piece of furniture, these steps are definitely for you.
- 3-in-1 design for multiple different uses
- Uses premium, solid rubber wood
- Anti-slip grooves on each tier for safety
- 23 inches x 16 inches x 24 inches
- Made of solid wood
- Good finish and appearance
- Versatile design
- Difficult to assemble
Best Folding Step Stool Uses
Now that you’re familiar with the different stepping stools on the market today, you may wonder what you can use them for. We’ve divided this section into different areas, to give you a good idea of where you might need one.
A stepping stool in the bathroom will most often be for small children. The little ones will greatly appreciate a leg up when they want to reach the sink or the toilet. Just be sure to keep an eye on them and help them up, especially if they are too young.
The kitchen cupboards can be a bit of a hassle to reach, especially the top ones. Having a stool in the kitchen allows you to utilize all your shelves to the fullest, and it’ll also help you to keep a better eye on your supplies. No one wants to find a bag of old, stale chips in their cupboards that they forgot about a couple of years back.
If you’re the type to wash your own car, then a stepping stool will definitely help. At the very least, you’ll be able to reach the roof without going on your tip-toes. You may also consider getting a set of steps if you store a lot of stuff in your garage. It’ll make looking over and stacking piles of boxes a lot easier.