12 Rocking Camp Chair Sets For Outdoor Lounging
Modified: February 7, 2023
The rocking camp chair may just be a new camping staple! This handy hybrid brings all the perks of the rocking chair to the great outdoors. Read more here!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
The humble rocking chair is often associated with soft spaces. A baby’s nursery, a child’s playroom, your grandma’s living room – expect to find a rocking chair swaying gently! With more people itching to get out of their homes though, it’s no surprise that this relaxing piece of furniture is beginning to adapt. The rocking camp chair aims to bring the comforts and perks of the traditional rocking chair to the great outdoors. Join us as we take a look at all it has to offer.
What Is a Rocking Camp Chair?
A rocking camp chair mixes rustic camping furniture with relaxing and traditional rockers. Most models are created using a powder-coated, rust-resistant steel frame. Its seat is built much like an outdoor camping chair. The cloth, mesh, and canvas on these chairs are naturally chosen to weather the elements. They’re even foldable for easy storage and transportation. What makes them different are the feet. These parts of the chair are either spring-loaded or shaped like curved rockers to perform their titular rocking function. This intriguing combo results in a chair that’s comfortable, outdoor-ready, and a joy to use.
Perks of a Rocking Camp Chair
Rocking camp chairs may seem a little niche at first glance. However, when you think about it, they carry several perks that just make sense. A rocking camp chair is a portable rocking chair perfect for the outdoors. You can use them anywhere from children’s baseball games to camping trips to your backyard.
In addition to the fact that they make for excellent camp furniture, there are a few more neat facts you should know. These come from the rocking chair side of the rocking camp chair’s heritage. It turns out that rocking on a rocking chair has been proven to help ease stress and anxiety. The gentle swaying puts many people at ease, not just sleepy babies and the elderly. It can also help some people sleep better, lulling them into slumber with calming motions. A range of other rocking chair benefits such as back pain reduction and arthritis relief is also being studied.
In the end, the rocking camp chair has been adapted to suit many situations. Beyond its flexibility in the outdoor space, it carries many benefits from its rocking chair roots. This chair may be a strange hybrid, but it’s proven itself both functional and beneficial to all types of sitters.
Types of Rocking Camp Chairs
It turns out that rocking camp chairs come in a couple of different designs. The most common variations are found in their feet. These portable rocking chairs have two types of rockers – traditional and spring-loaded. The traditional types are just like any typical rocking chair feet. They have a slight bend to them, allowing you to rock back and forth at a steady pace. The spring-loaded feet, on the other hand, allow you to bend back into a spring mechanism that then pushes you back up. There are a few other variants out there, but these are the main two.
Both types have their pros and cons. For instance, the traditional feet are known to be quieter. Given their less complicated design, they’re also less prone to failure. Meanwhile, spring-loaded feet can get noisy over time, and if they break, they’re much harder to diagnose and repair. However, they’re a lot better on different terrains as they don’t rely on flat ground to rock on.
Best Rocking Camp Chairs
Now that you’re familiar with rocking camp chairs and their types, you can decide if you want one. We’ve compiled a handy list of Amazon’s best offerings below. Each entry has a cheat sheet of key features, specifications, and pros and cons for you to look at while you contemplate. So, keep reading if you want to find out more about these hybrid chairs!
The Padded Rocking Camp Chair from iClimb is a good place to start this list. With its Oxford fabric seat and anti-rust steel frame, the chair is a fine example of your typical portable rocking chair. It stands on a pair of traditional rocking chair legs and folds up easily for storage and transportation.
- Folds into a bundle with a carrying bag
- Fully padded backrest and seat
- 600D ripstop Oxford fabric
- Anti-rust, powder-coated steel frame
- 35 inches x 34.6 inches x 35.8 inches
- Very comfortable and sturdy
- Folds up and opens easily
- Rocks well
- May have marks from font ink
If you’re fond of more scooped seats, check out the Pod Rocker from GCI Outdoor. This stylish chair is fitted with spring-action rocking technology for use on all sorts of terrain. Its sleek design allows you to lean back and enjoy the chair’s soothing rocking in fine style.
- Structured, sling-style seat
- Breathable mesh seat panels
- Spring-action rocking technology
- 30 inches x 28.2 inches x 34.7 inches
- Very stable on different surfaces
- Comfortable and easy to rock
- The carrying bag makes travel easy
- No solid armrests
The Diamond Rocker Chair from MacSports packs some extra plush in its seat. Its unique design forgoes both the traditional and spring-loaded legs. Instead, it sits at a bit of an angle from its base, allowing you to rock back and forth in smaller increments.
- Quick-fold, no assembly required design
- Heavy-duty frame
- Plush padding
- 31.1 inches x 31.9 inches x 36.6 inches
- Solid frame
- Comfortable to sit in
- Quality construction
- Padding may prove too plush
Guide Gear’s XXL Rocking Camp Chair is a solid investment for anyone. Its ability to support up to 600 pounds comes in handy for many people. Those with bigger builds can rest easily in a sturdy chair, and parents with young children can carry them on their laps as they rock. Let the kids scramble on together and rock on it around the campsite, or simply enjoy the wide seat. Either way, it’s a quality chair that holds up very well.
- Built to support up to 600 pounds
- Extra-wide 25-inch seat
- Molded armrests
- 33 inches (W) x 33 inches (D) x 44 inches (H)
- Excellent for heavier builds
- Sturdy frame and material
- Very comfortable chair
- Fairly heavy
The Folding Rocking Chair Set of Two from Outsunny is a great deal. Each chair’s padding extends from the seat to the backrest, adding extra comfort as you rock. Head and neck support is also integrated into the design. Share the soothing experience of outdoor rocking with a loved one by buying this set.
- Sold as a two-piece set
- Locking pin for stable rocking
- Preventive rust coating on the steel frame
- 2 color options
- 26.75 inches (W) x 35.5 inches (D) x 41.75 inches (H)
- Ready to use out of the box
- Fully-padded with head and neck support
- Sturdy and weather-resistant
- May squeak when rocking
The MacRocker Rocking Camp Chair from MacSports is next on our list of fine outdoor rocking chairs. This noiseless, springless chair puts a unique spin on the traditional rocking chair feet. It stands on a pair of parallel bars with a mechanism on the back that lets you rock back and forth with ease. The sturdy and premium design is eye-catching and will look at home around the most hardcore camping furniture.
- Noiseless rocking
- Springless mechanism
- Padded armrests
- Powder-coated steel frame
- 24 inches (W) x 25 inches (D) x 33 inches (H)
- Sturdy build quality
- The rocking mechanism works well
- Easy to set up
- No rocker locking function
Enjoy the outdoor breeze while seated in the Quad Folding Rocking Camp Chair from PORTAL. This innovative portable chair has mesh backing so you can feel the wind better as you rock. When it’s time to pack up, just fold up its x-shaped frame into a compact bundle for storage.
- X-shaped frame for more compact storage
- Safety latch for secure rocking
- Cool mesh backing
- Phone storage pocket beneath the seat
- Set up size: 23 inches (W) x 18 inches (D) x 42 inches (H)
- Folded size: 7 inches (L) x 7 inches (W) x 40 inches (H)
- Easy to fold up for storage
- The rocking feature works on various surfaces
- Little range of motion
The sun is great, but not when it’s in your eyes. The Sunshade Rocking Camp Chair Set from GCI Outdoor has just the solution for you. Its sunshade canopy provides good cover from the harsh sunlight as you rock. It protects both your eyes and your skin when outdoors and is perfect for more relaxed camping.
- Sunshade canopy
- The structured seat is easy to fold
- Spring-action rocking technology
- 35.6 inches x 26.2 inches x 38.8 inches
- Convenient cupholder
- The protective sunshade is great for sunny areas
- Sturdy and comfortable design
- The carrying bag isn’t very sturdy
Coastrail Outdoor offers a unique product with its Transformable Rocking Camp Chair. This model has two forms, making it one of the most versatile outdoor chairs on our list. The static camping chair form can easily switch into a rocking camp chair design. Just slip on the traditional rocking chair feet and you’re all set.
- Convertible design
- Ergonomic, high-backed backrest
- Multiple storage pockets
- 24.4 inches x 22.3 inches x 39.8 inches
- Thick material and sturdy frame
- Easy to attach and detach the rocker feet
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Flimsy cup holder
The Waterslide Rocking Camp Chair from GCI Outdoor is perfect for chilling by the pool or a lake. With a UPF rating of 50, the included sunshade only allows 1/50th of the sun’s UV rays to pass through it. That means this outdoor rocking chair is ideal for the beach as well! If you long to sit by the water and enjoy a relaxing rock, then this is the chair for you.
- Spring action rocking technology
- Large-mouth carrying bag
- Adjustable, UPF 50 sunshade
- 40.6 inches x 40 inches x 50.8 inches
- Comfortable seat
- Easy to fold up
- Adjustable cupholder for different cup sizes
- Excellent canopy for sun protection
- On the heavy side
The Padded Outdoor Rocking Chair from TIMBER RIDGE has a simple design with all the subtle details to make it stand out. Its armrests are solid, giving you a secure place to lean on. The included side pouch is roomy enough to fit lots of things in addition to your phone. Finally, it has a comfortable layer of foam padding to keep you content while seated.
- Safety latch for rockers
- Solid armrests
- Side pocket design for phones and other items
- 36 inches (L) x 23 inches (W) x 40 ½ inches (H)
- Sturdy and comfortable design
- Easy locking mechanism to keep chair folded
- Easy to set up
- No cup holder
We’re capping this list off with the Camping Rocking Chair from Sunnyfeel. This no muss no fuss chair is finished with double-seam Oxford cloth for a sturdy seat. Its built-in side pockets provide an excellent place for your small knick-knacks and gear. The cup holders even come in two different sizes to accommodate large and medium cups. It’s an all-around solid chair and perfect if you want a rocking camp chair for yourself or a loved one.
- Double-seam Oxford cloth
- Built-in side pockets and cup holders
- Optional mesh backing
- 40.5 inches (D) × 32 inches (W) × 38 inches (H)
- 2 cupholders for various cup sizes
- Easy to set up and store
- Good rocking mechanism
- Included carrying bag is a little small