Home>Furniture>10 Lifelike Faux Plants to Brighten Up Your Desk
10 Lifelike Faux Plants to Brighten Up Your Desk
Modified: February 7, 2023
Similar to their living counterparts, faux plants carry the benefits of boosting mood and focus. Choose from any one of these to brighten up your desk!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Adding a touch of nature to your workspace is often encouraged by experts, both to help reduce stress and strengthen mental health. The good news is, the little potted plant on your desk needn’t be alive to do wonders. Faux plants have come a long way over the years, and can now rival their live counterparts in any home.
The Benefits of Faux Plants
There’s a certain aesthetic that plants bring to any setting. Natural and calming, they’re charming reminders of the world outside as you chip away at work. Indoor plants are a favorite for many as they can sit nice and pretty on your desk without taking too much room. In this day and age though, taking in another living, breathing thing under your care can feel like another chore. Everything from watering schedules, to making sure they get enough light, to the dismay felt if they shrivel up and die are all cons that need to be taken into account.
Faux plants are less expensive and have much lower maintenance, saving you time in addition to those dollars. Also, by looking like their living counterparts, faux plants still carry the benefits of boosting mood and focus, as well as morale and productivity when integrated into your decor. This means that whether you’re working, studying, or just relaxing, there’s a lot to gain from having these fake indoor plants at your desk.
What Type of Faux Plants are Best for Your Desk?
Much like regular plants, there’s an assortment of different faux plants to choose from. The classic leafy green variety will never go out of style of course, but if you’re looking for a splash of color or a unique statement piece, there’s certainly a myriad of choices.
Fake succulents, for instance, come in all shapes and sizes, with an assortment of shades to boot. Their chunkier leaves can give a lovely contrast to any other plastic plants around them. On the other hand, if you want delicate indoor flowers that will never wilt, an arrangement of silk or polyester flowers may just be for you. Faux plants have even become elaborate enough to mimic the historical bonsai trees, promising all their timeless regality with no additional care needed.
Lifelike Faux Plants to Brighten Up Your Desk
Have your heart set on a new faux plant decoration for your desk area? We’ve compiled some of the best and most convincing fake plants on Amazon for you to browse through. Enjoy this handy list of artificial plants and trees, faux succulents, and more, with a guide of their key features and specifications.
If you’re looking for a classic faux plant for your desk, look no further than this Plastic Fiddle Leaf plant from HongRui. With an artistic cement pot and healthy bunches of green leaves, it’s perfect for a desk that needs something simple that can go with almost anything. Its branches even have iron wire in them, which allows you to shape the plant to suit your space.
- Branches with iron wire
- Plastic material with a glossy finish for the leaves
- Painted cement pot
- Overall size is 11 inches high and 10 inches wide
- Pot size is 3.75 inches high with a 4.50-inch diameter
- Durable materials
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Bendable branches for customization
- Smaller than it may appear in pictures
When seeking to add a little more drama to your desk, LuckyGreenery has you covered with its Artificial Scindapsus Aureus. Its realistic leaves and stalks will add a good dose of natural charm to your surroundings. Placing this faux plant atop some books will allow its spindly stalks to drape over them, lending a delicately overgrown and natural look to any tabletop.
- Long, reaching stalks
- Black plastic pot
- High-quality plastic leaves
- 8 inches x 9 inches
- Appears very realistic
- Keeps its shape for a long time
- Excellent quality for its price
- Not very full in terms of leaf density
Close together, these fake plants make a lovely, cloistered group, ideal for drawing attention to a particular point. When scattered across a room, these faux succulents allow you to tie together the space with their subtle matching details.
- Sold as a set of five different faux succulents
- Five glossy white, ceramic pots
- Bright and vibrant colors with pebbles at the base for a natural look
- Overall size: 2.16 inches x 3.5 inches
- Each pot measures 2.16 inches x 2.16 inches
- Base of plants are glued in well
- Good variety in one order
- Appear especially realistic and natural
- Ceramic pots may break in transit
Not everyone is looking for the typical faux plant. Some may find the unique route taken by AlphaAcc’s Fake Fountain Grass Topiary to be more to their liking. This statement piece will stand tall on your desk with its spiky stalks held high. It brings the more untamed side of nature into your space with no hassle of overgrowth and watering. Since it comes with a matte gray pot, this faux plant will go great in an industrial-styled desk area.
- Tall fake grass made of quality plastics
- Geometric gray pot
- Tiny stones inlaid at the base of the grass
- Overall size is 9.5 inches x 3.5 inches x 20 inches
- Pot size is 9.5 inches x 3.5 inches x 3.5 inches
- Heavy and good-quality PVC container mimics concrete well
- Fake stalks of varying shades add to the natural look
- May look like weeds
If you’re looking to bring in some brighter colors, then we recommend the Multi-Colored Mini Potted Artificial Plants from AIPNUN. This set of six comes in the form of more delicate fake flowers. Each bundle sits in an individual paper pulp pot, fashioned to look like concrete with none of the extra weight. Small enough to be cupped in anyone’s hand, these dainty little faux plants add the ideal touch of vibrancy without entirely taking over your desk area.
- Six different plants
- Paper pulp pots
- Dimensions per piece are 4.7 inches x 2.4 inches
- Good variety of colors in each set
- Light and easy to place anywhere
- No other color variations available
An elegant bunch of faux flowers can also be found in this Lifelike Magnolia Arrangement from Nearly Natural. These fake buds are ready to bloom right out of the box, with petals that can be arranged to show different stages of the flower’s life. The stems have some wiring for small adjustments, and the whole arrangement is planted in faux water to add to its realistic nature. The cheery polyester blooms will surely brighten up any desk setup.
- Made from polyester
- Includes a decorative glass vase
- Liquid Illusion faux water holds stems in place
- Item’s total dimensions are 13 inches x 10 inches x 15 inches
- Petals and leaves can be easily opened and arranged
- Stems are bendable to separate flowers from one another
- Difficult to rearrange flowers
Bonsai trees have a reputation of being one of the most difficult plants to care for, but they’re also some of the most beautiful to have on a desk. This Artificial Olive Bonsai, also from Nearly Natural, combines historical form with modern convenience. Its convincingly detailed trunk and base spiral up to a healthy crown of leaves that will stay green throughout all the seasons. As a fake tree, this bonsai can liven up your desk for years to come.
- Includes 100% polyester
- Made with handcrafted materials
- Wired branches allow for rearrangement
- 6 inches x 8.5 inches x 13 inches
- Incredibly detailed trunk & base
- Easily styled branches
- Unique in shape with natural colors
- Leaves lack variation in color
Alternative Placements for Fake Plants in Your Desk Area
When seeking to spruce up your desk area, there’s no need to stop at just the tabletop. If a tiny faux plant by your pencil stand isn’t enough green for you, it’s time to look at other options in the desk’s surrounding area. An empty corner, for instance, can fit a larger artificial tree, filling in the space nicely. Meanwhile, some bare walls would be the perfect spot to place some plastic hanging plants. The possibilities are endless, as seen in these last few items on our list:
A tall faux plant by the side of your desk may actually free up some room on the tabletop itself. This classy Large Fake Snake Plant from flybold would look great in both a home and office setup. The pot and stand are included, both of which add a sleek modern feel to the natural look of the leaves. At 4 feet tall, this should suit a little corner set-up very nicely.
- White pot and metal stand included
- Tall 38- to 44-inch height depending on the metal stand used
- Includes base moss for added realism
- Plant with pot is 7 inches x 7 inches x 38 inches
- Additional 6-inch height can be added with the included stand
- Reaches almost 4 feet tall
- Premium stand and pot
- Expensive for its size
Another option for the side of a desk is this Faux Agave Plant by Lambye. Towering at a height of 4.6 feet, this faux plant has three heads of healthy green leaves of differing heights, all discreetly artificial. At this size, this faux plant is about as tall as some artificial trees, but with a slimmer form factor perfect for fitting in a medium-sized space.
- Three heads of agave
- Plastic black pot included
- Stands about 4.6 feet tall
- 56.05 inches x 7.8 inches x 7.55 inches
- Excellent texture on leaves and stem
- May break during shipping
The ceiling or wall near your desk can also be put to good use if you purchase this 3-Pack Mini Potted Fake Hanging Plants set from Oxsaytee. These faux plants come bundled in with not just a set of paper pulp pots, but also some hand-woven plant hangers. They can be used to divide spaces when hung from the ceiling or can fill in an empty wall with their vibrant green. In any case, this set presents a unique way to display these particular plastic plants.
- Paper pulp pots
- Includes hand-woven plant hangers
- Varieties of faux plants included are: artificial eucalyptus, rosemary, and maple leaf
- Potted plants measure 9.4 to 10.2 inches tall
- Paper pulp pots are 3.1 inches tall and 3 inches wide
- Easy to hang and lightweight
- Adjustable heights for rope hangers
- Pots are well-painted
- Pots may arrive broken from shipping
Frequently Asked Questions about 10 Lifelike Faux Plants To Brighten Up Your Desk
Are faux plants tacky?
Not all fake plants are tacky. Many faux plants have been manufactured to appear real enough to the casual observer. While their tackiness stems from how they seem plastic and unreal, it is often the placement and quality of fake plants that decide if they appear tacky or not.
Which fake plants look most real?
Faux plants created from high-quality materials are often the ones that look almost real. Some manufacturers go the extra mile and incorporate moss or faux water to the bases of their plants to add to their natural look. However, many less expensive fake plants can still seem real depending on where they are placed and the quality of the manufacturer’s molding.
Why are artificial plants so expensive?
Many faux plants are made from quality materials to better match their live counterparts. In addition, fake plants don’t need to be cared for and cannot die. This may, in the long run, save the frugal buyer more money and time.
Do designers use fake plants?
Many designers have actually begun to adopt fake plants into their work, recognizing both the convenience and elegance of these little plastic wonders. For busy clients, keeping up with the care of real plants would only lead to more stress. Faux plants are becoming more ideal by being low-maintenance and more suited to the typical modern hustle.
Adding a touch of color to your desk with faux plants has a range of benefits. They can really pull a space together, giving a more complete look to any room or desk. Fake plants have begun to vibrantly mimic nature enough to inspire and de-stress, without the added hassle of keeping them alive. Plastic plants have come a long way, and have certainly earned their place on your tabletop. To think, they’re just one way to spruce up your desk area.