July 6, 2021
10 Roof Windows For A Breathtaking View
Written by: Pavneet Kaur
Roof windows can make your home so much brighter and cozier, which will benefit you in many unforeseen ways. Here are our top skylight picks.
Love the crisp autumn breeze on your skin? Or do you find yourself craving something more than just another seasonal change? If so, then we’ve got some good news for you. A roof window is one of the best ways to open up, let some light in, and make star-gazing possible from the comfort of your home.
What are Roof Windows Called?
A roof window is also known as the skylight or roof light. Essentially, it is a type of opening that allows natural sunlight to shine into an attic. Although there’s some overlap in terminology, the terms “roof window” and “skylight” are used interchangeably and can be seen in various homes worldwide.
There are many benefits to choosing this type of window. You’ll get better insulation, solar radiation protection, and natural light for healthier living spaces. There are plenty of options to choose from, but not all are created equal.
The SIG-Skylights with a bronze powder coat cover is the perfect skylight for your home. It has a heavy aluminum welded frame and sturdy double pane tempered glass. Moreover, the bronze powder-coated aluminum cover is elegant and will never rust or corrode.
In addition, this skylight provides easy installation without buying extra flashing. The best part of this unit is that it comes with an extra-wide (4 5/8”) ribbed flange for energy efficiency.
- Installation is fuss-free
- Sturdy and durable; does not crack easily
- Frame comes with a lifetime warranty
- 31.5 x 31.5 x 3 inches
- 20 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ inside finished opening
- Glass-and-aluminum build
- Double pane insulated glass is strong and durable
- Cannot be installed on a metal roof
The Fakro left opening escape window comes equipped with an escape mechanism on top, allowing users quick access without any hassle. Simply unlock it by twisting 90 degrees clockwise so that it flips outwards into alignment, then pulls up and away.
Moreover, the side opening feature also makes it safer because building codes require two methods of egress for rooms. Thanks to its gas piston that holds the sash stable when opened, it prevents accidents or injuries from occurring while you’re escaping.
- Double-glazed tempered glass material repels heat
- Ideal for roof pitches of 15 to 55 degrees
- Frame is made from pressure-treated pine wood
- Outside frame: 23-1/2 x 46-1/4 Inch
- Size of opening required: 22-1/4 x 45-1/4 Inch
- Thermally insulated
- Easy to install
- A little costly
The sun optics colorful design of these flat roof windows offers up to 50% more illumination than traditional white bubble skylights. It doesn’t increase the sun’s glare nor create hot spots, hence making for maximum enjoyment all day long.
Besides, the superior frame provides moisture protection redundancy and a fully insulated thermal break that encapsulates the underside of the frame. This vastly reduces condensation levels while adding visual comfort as well.
- Triple glazed, impact-modified acrylic prismatic lenses
- Fully-welded bronze aluminum frame
- Energy-efficient, natural lighting solution
- 26-5/8 in. x 38-5/8 in.
- Provides up to 50 percent more light than traditional white bubble skylights
- Anti-fading, anti-sun damage
- Allows extra bright daylight to shine through
- Flashing isn’t included
The prismatic fixed double roof windows by Sunoptics are an energy-efficient way to illuminate the interior of your home correctly. It offers up to 50 percent more light than traditional white bubble skylights and 100% diffusion for glare-free natural lighting. Not only does it look beautiful, it also has a fully insulated thermal break that encapsulates the underside of the frame.
- Double hip-shaped lens design
- Aluminum frame will not expand with heat
- Eliminates hot spots and glare
- 26-5/8 in. x 38-5/8 in.
- Made in the USA
- Allows glare-free natural light
- Easy to install
- Operator rod is needed to open vented model (sold separately)
The Sun-Tek PolyDome Skylight is the best solution for all your home’s skylight needs. With up to 250 times more impact resistance than glass, these polycarbonate skylights will withstand nearly anything. From a frigid 60 degrees below zero to an oven that reaches over 200°, these are designed to survive all conditions. Plus, its lightweight material won’t put any extra strain on your roof and it can be installed easily along surfaces like roofs and ceilings.
- Sapphire-shaped dome
- Easy “surface mount” installation
- 16″ x 32″, fits over 14″ x 30″ finished opening
- Flange size: 21″x37″
- Installation takes less than an hour
- Too much heat gain
SIG skylights are beautiful, durable, and a smart investment. Made with tempered glass which is scratch-resistant, they don’t fade or crack like plastic skylights. Moreover, you can replace your acrylic or fiberglass dome without any worries. Thanks to its glare reduction feature, your eyes are protected from possible damage from the sun.
- Aluminum-welded frame with aluminum cover
- Strong glass that won’t crack nor haze
- Size can be customized to fit your curb
- 24 x 24 x 3 inches
- 2″ drop
- It can be installed on a tin roof
- Extra tools are required for installation
You’ll love this product because of its durable yet lightweight design. These inner dome roof windows from Icon provide a layer of insulation and reduce condensation forming on the outer skylight. Molded from white ABS plastic material with a clear center insert, they are appropriate for any roof with a thickness between 1-1/4″ to 4″.
- ABS plastic material that comprises a clear center insert
- Insulating and condensation-reducing inner dome
- Opening Dimensions: 22″ x 14″
- Outer Dimensions: 24″ x 16″ x 2″ or 5″
- Crystal clear panel
- Easy installation
- Looks a bit tacky
Velux Skylights are designed to give you the most natural light possible, with added ventilation and energy savings options. They’re also designed to fit a wide range of roof pitches and configurations.
In addition, these skylights have a built-in vent system that helps to circulate air and reduce the heat build-up in your attic. We can’t say no to reduced energy costs and increased comfort.
- Pair it with the skylight for top-notch water protection and a 10-year No Leak installation warranty
- Streamlined, non-obstructive design
- Aluminum padding offers protection and is stylish at the same time
- Inner dimensions: 25 1/2 x 49 1/2
- It has a streamlined design to prevent the blocking of the roofline
- Hardware is included
- Tempered glass is a bit heavy
If you’re looking for a skylight that will last and provide protection from the elements, then Sun-Tek PolyDome Skylights are made to withstand anything. Moreover, the dome shape is easy to install and resists UV rays, thanks to its polycarbonate resin material with G.E Lexan Resin.
Besides, it can be installed in 22 “x22″ or 24’x24″ and has an opening of 29′ x29”. These skylights come complete with brackets and screws, so installation should take about 20 minutes at most.
- Fuss-free installation process
- Dome-shaped, double-paned
- See-through portion: 22”x22”
- Overall dimensions: 24”x24”
- Resists extreme temperatures
- It has a unique smoke color
- Actual product size might be bigger than what’s specified
The triple-glazed DRF roof access skylight is an environmentally-friendly window that also comes equipped with anti-burglary features. The frame of the flat roof skylight is constructed from PVC, which means it’s both durable and energy-efficient.
Furthermore, the window can also be mounted on an additional XRD base with a height of 5-7/8-inch (15cm) for installation in green or living roofs. It can easily be installed on roofs with a maximum slope of 35 degrees.
- Triple-glazed, energy-efficient
- Multi-chamber PVC profiles
- Can be installed in green or living roofs by complementing it with an additional XRD base
- Product Dimensions: 48 x 43 x 11 inches
- Made from a blend of glass and PVC
- It has a flat gazing unit
- Can be installed on all types of roofs
- The frame is quite heavy
Skylights or roof windows are more than a luxury, especially in places with very little natural light. In houses where there is limited wall area available for windows, these make the perfect solution to bring an abundance of sunlight into your home.