12 Guitar Cases That Keep Your String Instrument In Tune
Published: November 18, 2021
Stay in tune with a guitar case! Check out the best 12 guitar cases to keep your instrument protected in the face of music longer.
Swinging a guitar on your back can be fun and look cool, but you know what’s cooler? A perfectly tuned and conditioned guitar that can last long after your best years on stage. Getting a proper guitar case will definitely be instrumental in making that happen. Embrace the cozy life for you and your favorite string instrument by using a guitar case that not only provides protection but convenience in traveling.
Why Does Your Guitar Need a Guitar Case?
Sure, displaying your guitar on a guitar stand can be a great music room idea, but proper storage is still key in keeping your instruments in tip-top shape. A guitar might be a low-maintenance instrument, but it still deserves a little tender love and care.
A guitar case that can shield your instrument from various inevitable detractors like your slippery fingers and gravity, is one of the best solutions to ensure your six string’s longevity. However, most importantly, as a guitar owner, you should know that your instrument is vulnerable to weather, humidity, light, and other external factors at all times.
Weather and Humidity
Most guitars are made from wood, which is an organic material that is prone to erosion from different temperatures and humidity. A good case can keep your stringed instrument from absorbing any moisture that will cause its demise. The optimal humidity for an electric and acoustic guitar is between 30% and 50%. Anything over 50% will cause mold to form, while anything drier than 30% can cause cracks to its finishing in extreme cases.
Getting a guitar case can give your musical instrument the necessary protection to ensure that its finishes stay shiny, binds intact, and your tune more accurate than ever.
A guitar is a kind of art masterpiece, and just like any other artwork, light can be detrimental to the canvas. The constant exposure to UV and light photons can make the wear and tear more evident. Fading guitar finishes are not a nice look in your guitar collection. A guitar case can prove to be a good sunblock solution and keep your guitar as lively as the sounds it makes.
Curious pets, children running amok, and plain old clumsiness are probably the most common reasons why a guitar fails to last a couple of years or even weeks. If you think keeping your guitar locked in a glass case is a drastic measure, getting a guitar case is the best option for you. It provides the same protection and without being a pain to access.
Different Types of Guitar Cases
When you hear of guitar cases, the first thing that often comes to mind would be a rectangular briefcase or a glass case from a museum. Well, you’re not far off, but there is much more to discover about these items. There are three types of guitar cases: a soft case or gig bag, a hard case, and a hybrid case. Though all serve as protection for your guitar, they differ widely in certain characteristics.
Soft Cases or Gig Bags
Gig bags or soft cases are usually made of nylon, leather, polyester, or a combination of these materials. Such cases are much more manageable compared to other alternatives. They usually come with carrying handles and a shoulder strap-on or even a backpack strap for easier transport. Their name is thus derived from their convenience when carrying to gigs and events.
There was a time that soft cases were only known for carrying cheap guitars or instruments that only required minimal protection. For musicians, a gig bag was once only for carrying and not meant for the overall safety of the instrument. But, that has since changed throughout the years as many brands and companies moved to make their soft cases more durable with heavy-duty materials.
- It is lightweight.
- It is low-cost and budget-friendly, perfect for a budding musician.
- The shoulder strap and backpack straps make your guitar easier to carry.
- A storage pocket comes with the soft case to store your sheet music and other accessories.
- It doesn’t take too much space.
- There is not much protection in terms of temperature and humidity
- Not suitable for air travel.
A hard case is one of the most common guitar cases used by big bands that travel often. This alternative is a literal hard case composed of two parts—the outer shell and the inside shell.
The outer shell is what shields the guitar from extreme external factors. It’s usually made with solid and sturdy materials like wood, metal, fiberglass, plastic, and even carbon fiber. On the other hand, the inside provides a cozy shelter with plush padding to keep it unharmed from hard impacts. Hard cases also have different models that can keep your guitar tuned and safe. The chipboard, hardshell, molded, and road guitar cases all sport the hard exterior but differ on the interior. Ultimately, your choice of the interior will depend on your individual needs.
- Strong and durable.
- It provides excellent protection from hard impact.
- Temperature and humidity won’t be a big problem.
- It can also be transported easily thanks to its carrying handle (some roll with built-in wheels).
- Allows you to stack your guitars on top of each other without putting any damage.
- Great for travel.
- Can be very heavy.
- A hard case can be a bit expensive.
This is where the best of both worlds meet to present a guitar case that can suit all your guitar storage needs. A hybrid case is a mix between a soft case’s travel-friendly exterior and a hard case’s molded padded interior. It is the perfect guitar suitcase for people who want something portable and can still hold its own after a few bumps and falls.
- Much more affordable compared to a hard case.
- More lightweight than a hard case.
- It provides more protection, unlike a soft case.
- Has a shoulder strap-on or backpack straps for convenient carrying.
- Has extra storage on the exterior and the interior parts of the guitar case.
- Despite its padded interior, it is still not suitable for extensive air travel.
12 Guitar Cases To Keep Your String Instrument Safe
To keep your guitar rock and roll ready, here are the 12 best guitar cases available now. This list is a combination of soft cases, hard cases, and hybrid cases that will help you in keeping your guitar in tune for every jamming session.
If you want your guitar case to have an impeccable style that doesn’t sacrifice space and protection for your instrument, then the Gator Case Deluxe ABS Molded Case for Acoustic Guitars should be one of your best choices. This hardshell case is as efficient in protecting your musical instrument as it is cushioning your items from the inside. The soft plush interior ensures that no matter how many bumps and rocks come your way, your guitar will remain safe and sound.
- Hardshell case
- Interior accessory compartment
- Reinforced and bolted carry handles
- Case dimensions: 45.7 inches (L) x 18.7 inches (W) x 9.3 inches (H)
- Made with a durable molded plastic exterior and aluminum valences
- Plush EPS foam interior
- The compartment inside the case is spacious enough for your capos, strings, and other accessories
- The case is solid and made of high-quality materials
- Can fit most guitars like a glove including big Ovation guitars like the Ovation Celebrity Mid-Bowl
- Provides enough protection for traveling
- The hinges on the case are a bit weak
- A bit heavy
A good guitar case doesn’t have to be the most expensive in the market. If anything, an affordable case that gives proper protection trumps other flashy and heavy alternatives. If you want something that fits your musician lifestyle but won’t break the bank, the CAHAYA 41-inch Acoustic Guitar Bag will do just fine. Travel easily from gig to gig with this simple gig bag. It features more than one way for you to handle your guitar, keeping it safe—rain or shine, thanks to its waterproof material.
- Two exterior pouches
- Three attached carry handles
- An adjustable backpack strap
- Shockproof rubber base
- Case dimensions: 42.1 inches x 16.3 inches x 4.7 inches
- Made with waterproof oxford fabric material
- Has a 0.35-inch padding
- Provides enough basic protection
- The accessory pouch is spacious enough for sheet music and other guitar accessories
- Good for an electric guitar as well
- It’s waterproof
- The fit is a bit tight for a full-sized acoustic guitar
- Not good for travel as the padding is not that thick
- The fabric it’s made from comes out of the seams easily
Electric guitars may seem sturdy but they also need proper securing. An electric guitar case is usually a slim hard case that has some heft to support the guitar’s weight. The ChromaCast CC-EHC Electric Guitar Hard Case is one of the best suitcases available now that looks expensive but is still within a young guitarist’s budget.
- Neck and bridge safety padding
- Molded carry handle
- Hard guitar case with a lock
- The case measures 41.5 inches x 14 inches x 14 inches x 3 inches
- Made from sturdy wood construction
- Plush lining interior
- The interior has a lot of room for musical accessories
- The case doesn’t take up too much space in storage
- Provides excellent protection from bumps and dings
- The lock latch comes in handy in securing your guitar
- The design is sophisticated with great stitching
- The case shows wear and tear after a few months of use
- It might be too lightweight to keep your guitar safe when stacked
If you’re on the lookout for a gig bag that you can easily carry anywhere, look no further than the GLEAM Guitar Bag. This guitar case boasts a sponge padding that is 0.5 inches thick, which can protect your instrument from inevitable bumps and your shoulders and hands from aches and pains. It also features a unique neck or bridge protector with a velcro lock that can keep your guitar in its proper place.
- Two storage pockets
- Padded carry handles and shoulder straps
- Rubber base protector
- Neck sponge lock protector
- Case dimensions: 42 inches (L) x 5 inches (D) x 17 inches (W)
- Stainless rivets
- The two pockets are very spacious and can fit capos, books, and even mini stands
- The material is waterproof
- The sponge padding is 0.5 inches thick
- The neck protector keeps the guitar snug and more secured
- It has high-quality zippers
- A 41-inch dreadnought guitar barely fits the gig bag
- The padding is not as thick as advertised
Once you go big in the music industry, expect to embark on tours all over the world. Of course, you need a guitar case that can keep up with your newfound fame and glory because you do owe it to your guitar. So in traveling, make the Gator Molded Flight Case your guitar’s travel buddy. This heavy-duty case can keep your instrument snug and safe for the duration of your flight. This case features the latest TSA-approved lock with impact diversion covering and red release triggers that will make sure your guitar stays in its seat even when the seatbelt light off.
- TSA-approved lock latch
- An ergonomic comfort grip handle
- TSA-approved guitar flight case
- Case dimensions: 44.3 inches (L) x 18.1 inches (H) x 7.6 inches (W)
- Made of durable military-grade polyethylene plastic
- Has a thick EPS foam interior
- Can withstand rigorous tumbles and turns
- Great quality and very sturdy
- Has enough space for guitar straps, capos, and music sheets
- The exterior of the case get blemishes and scratches easily
- The plush interior can be a bit thin for a flight guitar case
The CAHAYA Electric Bass Guitar Gig Bag is a great case for bass players who want something that can carry their instrument effortlessly. This guitar case has a neat modern design with a spacious pocket that can even double as an oddly-shaped purse. You can zoom through gig after gig with this on your back or clutches with no trouble, thanks to its hook and loop safety lock that will hold your bass securely.
- Hook and loop safety latch
- A larger exterior zipper pocket
- Shockproof rubber base
- CAHAYA scratch-resistant lining
- Case dimensions: 49 inches (L) x 15.7 inches (W) x 2.4 inches (D)
- Can come in gray and black
- Padded carry handles and backpack straps
- Interior padding is 0.3 inches
- Has a sleek modern design
- Well-made and durable
- The velcro hook and loop safety latch keeps the bass guitar secured when traveling
- Has a lot of storage
- The zippers are high-quality
- Has a chemical smell
- It doesn’t provide enough protection as the padding is a bit thin
If you’re on the lookout for a reliable hybrid guitar case, Gator Cases’ Lightweight Polyfoam Guitar Case is the one. This case has the makings of a great gig bag with the protection that a hard case can offer. Don’t be fooled by its lightweight exterior, as it provides a robust and sturdy shield for your guitar wherever you take it.
- Hybrid guitar case
- Interior storage nook
- Outer zippered pocket
- Nylon carry handle and adjustable shoulder strap
- Case dimensions: 45 inches (L) x 16 inches (W) x 7 inches (D)
- Interior dimensions: 17.9 inches in body length, 3.5 inches in height, lower bout width 13.7 inches, middle bout width 9.4 inches, upper bout width 10 inches, and 42.5 inches in overall interior length
- Made from heavy-duty nylon
- Has an EPS foam interior and plush lining
- Lightweight, yet durable and sturdy
- There is enough storage for all your guitar accessories
- The case provides great neck support
- The size is a little smaller in person
- Not suitable for traveling
The Fender brand is a household name in the music industry. So, a guitar case with a big Fender logo on it will definitely catch most musicians’ eyes. If you already own a Fender guitar, this is the perfect case for you! Complete your Fender collection with this classic hard case that not only looks nice but also provides protection when navigating a maze of fans.
- Ergonomic carry handle
- Chrome hardware for the Fender look
- Case dimensions: 7.48 inches (L) x 19.29 inches (W) x 46.85 inches (H)
- Reinforced one-inch foam padding interior with black plush lining
- Built with a three-ply wood flat top
- The case looks sophisticated with its classic and neat design
- Very sturdy and durable
- Has intricate and heavy stitching
- It has a storage compartment inside
- Provides ample protection for daily use but not enough for traveling
The Faswin 41-inch Acoustic Guitar Gig Bag has all the things you’re looking for in a gig bag. Fits a guitar? Check! Backpack straps and carry handles for easy transport? Check! Pockets? Check that six times! This case packs a lot—literally! So, if you’re the type of musician who has boy scout tendencies, this will definitely be a perfect fit for you and all your guitar knick-knacks.
- Padded gig bag
- Strap and 10 pick sampler accessories
- Six storage pockets
- Exterior dimensions: 43 inches (L) x 13.5 inches (upper bout), 17 inches (lower bout) Width x 4 inches (H)
- Interior dimensions: 42.5 inches (L) x 13 inches (upper bout), 16 inches (lower bout) Width x 4 inches (H)
- Has tons of room for all your guitar accessories
- There’s a rubber base for added protection
- You can carry your instrument in different ways with its various carry handles and backpack straps
- You get free picks
- Has a thick padding
- The zipper is not the most durable
- The straps aren’t that sturdy
A hard case is, of course, the ultimate guitar case. It’s the thing you see in movies and from busking musicians on Abbey Road. So, it’s only appropriate that you would want a hard shell case too. One of the best hard cases out there is the Cordoba Humicase Humidified Guitar Case. Its sleek contemporary design is enough to make you feel like a musician on a mission. This case features an integrated humidifier that can help regulate your guitar’s temperature over a longer period of time.
- Hard shell guitar case
- Built-in HumiCase technology
- Leather stitched carry handle
- Bronze locking mechanism
- Exterior dimensions: 42 inches (L) x Width: 17.5 inches (W) x 6 inches (H)
- Interior dimensions: overall length is 39.5 inches, width at lower bout: 14.75 inches, width at the upper bout: 11.5 inches, length of Body area is 22 inches, depth of body area is 4 inches
- Five-ply wood shell
- It has a built-in humidifier
- The case is sturdy and strong
- Well-made and high quality
- The plush interior looks attractive and expensive
- The locking hardware is of good quality
- The stitching on the carry handle is not comparable to the one on the case
- The carry handle seems cheap and tends to come off
For classical guitar players, the CAHAYA Classic Guitar Case will be a great gig bag for your short tours and gigs. This case features a total of six pockets where you can store just about anything; it even has an anti-theft compartment! Although this is a soft case, it still provides ample protection from unexpected bumps and fan encounters.
- Six storage compartments
- Anti-theft pocket
- Dual-use design
- Case dimensions: 43.5 inches (L) x 17.9 inches (W) x 4.7 inches (H)
- Made of waterproof oxford cloth
- Has a 0.5-inch padding
- Has solid zippers
- Provides plenty of storage for music sheets and many more
- Has sturdy carry handles and straps
- The padding is thick
- The case is well-made and has good stitching
- It has a bit of synthetic leather, which can peel off easily
Another soft case for the books is the Glenmi Acoustic Guitar Case. This gig bag is perfect for both the novice and expert guitarist as it can fit most guitars while keeping them secured in their place. It also features padded carry handles and backpack straps that can make traveling from one open mic to the next a hassle-free experience.
- Soft gig bag for 40-41 inch guitars
- Anti-wear padding at the bottom of the case
- Built-in sponge neck pillow and belt
- Case dimensions: 17.2 inches (L) x 11.46 inches (W) x 5.75 inches (H)
- 12mm thick padding
- Has a neat and stylish design
- The zippers are thick and durable
- Has enough padding for protection
- Offers a lot of storage
- The inside lining of the gig bag feels cheaply made
Get a Guitar Case to Avoid Breaks
If you have a guitar, get a guitar case. Whether or not you’re a professional musician, your musical instruments need proper storage so, when the time comes for a jamming session, you’re ready to rock. Protection isn’t the only thing a case can offer you. It also serves as an easy storage solution that can be instrumental to fuss-free moving in and out wherever.
Choose from the array of soft, hard, and hybrid cases above, and you’ll be surprised with how your guitar can keep in tune with your rhythm through the years.