How To Install Roll Out Drawers In A Pantry Cabinet
Modified: November 23, 2023
Looking for step-by-step instructions on how to install roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet? Check out our comprehensive articles on this essential kitchen upgrade.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Having a well-organized pantry can make a world of difference in your kitchen. It not only helps you find what you need easily but also maximizes the available storage space. One of the best ways to achieve this is by installing roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet. These drawers allow you to conveniently access items at the back of the cabinet without emptying the entire shelf. In this article, we will guide you through the process of installing roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet, step by step.
Before we dive into the installation process, let’s take a look at the tools and materials you will need:
- Measuring tape or ruler
- Roll-out drawer hardware
Once you have gathered these tools and materials, you’re ready to begin transforming your pantry cabinet into a more efficient storage space.
- Transform your pantry cabinet with roll-out drawers to improve organization and maximize storage space. Follow the step-by-step guide for a rewarding and efficient installation process.
- Enjoy easy access and improved organization in your kitchen by installing roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet. Create a functional and efficient storage space with carefully organized items.
Read more: How To Make A Pull Out Pantry Cabinet
Tools and Materials Needed
Before you start installing roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet, it’s important to ensure you have the necessary tools and materials on hand. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Screwdriver: You’ll need a screwdriver to remove any existing shelves from your pantry cabinet and to attach the drawer slides.
- Measuring tape or ruler: Accurate measurements are crucial for properly aligning the roll-out drawers in your cabinet.
- Pencil: Use a pencil to mark the locations for attaching the drawer slides.
- Drill: A drill will be needed to create pilot holes for the screws that secure the drawer slides to the cabinet.
- Level: To ensure that your roll-out drawers are installed straight and level, use a level during the installation process.
- Roll-out drawer hardware: This includes the drawer slides, brackets, and screws needed to attach the roll-out drawers to the cabinet.
Make sure to gather all these tools and materials before you begin, as it will save you time and frustration during the installation process. Additionally, double-check that you have the correct type and size of roll-out drawer hardware for your specific pantry cabinet.
Step 1: Measure Your Cabinet Space
Before you can install roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet, you need to measure the available space inside the cabinet. This step is essential to ensure that the roll-out drawers will fit properly and function effectively. Here’s how to do it:
- Empty your pantry cabinet: Start by removing all items from your pantry cabinet. This will give you a clear and unobstructed view of the interior space.
- Measure the width: Use a measuring tape or ruler to measure the width of the inside of the cabinet. Measure from one side to the other, taking into account any obstructions such as hinges or protrusions.
- Measure the depth: Measure the depth of the cabinet by measuring from the back wall to the front edge. Ensure that you measure from the deepest point, usually the bottom of the cabinet.
- Measure the height: Measure the height of the inside of the cabinet. This measurement will determine the maximum height of the roll-out drawers that you can install.
Once you have these measurements, make a note of them for reference during the purchasing and installation process. It’s always a good idea to double-check your measurements to ensure accuracy. Remember, precise measurements are crucial for choosing the right size of roll-out drawer hardware and positioning them correctly in your pantry cabinet.
Step 2: Purchase Roll Out Drawer Hardware
After measuring your cabinet space, the next step is to purchase the necessary roll-out drawer hardware. This hardware will include drawer slides, brackets, and screws that will enable the smooth operation of the roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet. Here’s what you need to do:
- Research and choose the right hardware: Take the measurements you obtained from Step 1 and use them to search for roll-out drawer hardware that matches the size and specifications of your pantry cabinet. Look for hardware that is durable, easy to install, and suitable for the weight and load capacity of your items.
- Consider the type of drawer slides: There are several types of drawer slides available, including side-mount slides and under-mount slides. Consider the pros and cons of each type and choose the one that best suits your needs and cabinet space.
- Check customer reviews and ratings: Before making a purchase, read customer reviews and ratings of the roll-out drawer hardware you’re interested in. This will give you insights into the quality, functionality, and ease of installation of the hardware.
- Purchase the hardware: Once you have made your decision, purchase the roll-out drawer hardware from a reputable supplier or hardware store. Ensure that you buy enough hardware to install the desired number of roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet.
By purchasing the appropriate roll-out drawer hardware, you are setting yourself up for a successful installation process. Taking the time to research and choose the right hardware will ensure that your roll-out drawers function smoothly and effectively in your pantry cabinet.
Step 3: Remove Shelves from Pantry Cabinet
Before you can install the roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet, you’ll need to remove any existing shelves. This will create space for the roll-out drawers and allow for a more organized and efficient storage solution. Follow these steps to remove the shelves:
- Empty the pantry cabinet: Before you begin removing the shelves, make sure the cabinet is empty. Take out all items stored on the shelves and set them aside.
- Locate the shelf supports: Look for the shelf supports or brackets that hold the shelves in place. These may be visible on the sides of the cabinet or hidden inside with a plastic cover or metal bracket.
- Remove the shelves: Depending on the type of shelf supports, you may need to unscrew them using a screwdriver or release them by pressing a lever or tab. Carefully lift the shelves out of the cabinet and set them aside.
- Clean the cabinet: Take this opportunity to clean the inside of the pantry cabinet. Wipe down any dust, crumbs, or residue to ensure a clean and fresh storage space for your roll-out drawers.
It’s important to handle the shelves with care when removing them from the cabinet. Avoid forcing or bending them to prevent damage. Once you have successfully removed the shelves and cleaned the cabinet, you’re ready to move on to the next step of installing the roll-out drawer hardware.
Step 4: Attach Drawer Slides to Cabinet Sides
With the shelves removed from your pantry cabinet, it’s time to attach the drawer slides to the cabinet sides. These slides will serve as the foundation for your roll-out drawers. Follow these steps to securely attach the drawer slides:
- Position the drawer slides: Start by positioning the first drawer slide on one side of the cabinet. The slide should be aligned vertically with the inside edge of the cabinet. Use a pencil to mark the screw holes on the cabinet side.
- Create pilot holes: Using a drill, create pilot holes on the marked locations. These pilot holes will help prevent the wood from splitting when you insert the screws.
- Secure the slide: Align the drawer slide with the pilot holes and attach it to the cabinet side using screws. Repeat this process to attach the second drawer slide on the opposite side of the cabinet.
- Ensure level installation: Use a level to double-check that the drawer slides are installed straight and level. Adjust if necessary by loosening the screws and repositioning the slide.
It’s important to accurately position and securely attach the drawer slides to ensure the smooth operation of the roll-out drawers. Double-check the alignment and levelness of the slides before moving on to the next step. With the drawer slides in place, you’re now ready to install the roll-out drawers themselves.
When installing roll out drawers in a pantry cabinet, make sure to measure the cabinet space accurately before purchasing the drawers to ensure they will fit properly. Also, consider the weight capacity of the drawers to accommodate your pantry items.
Step 5: Install Roll Out Drawers
After attaching the drawer slides, it’s time to install the roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet. These drawers will provide easy access to your stored items and make organization a breeze. Follow these steps to install the roll-out drawers:
- Measure the dimensions: Measure the width, depth, and height of the space between the installed drawer slides. These measurements will help you determine the size of the roll-out drawers to fit snugly in the cabinet.
- Assemble the drawers: If your roll-out drawer hardware comes unassembled, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to assemble the drawers. This typically involves attaching the sides, back, and front of the drawer together using screws or joinery methods.
- Slide the drawers into place: With the drawers assembled, place them on the drawer slides. Make sure they are properly aligned and centered within the cabinet. Push the drawers back until they are fully closed.
- Check for smooth operation: Test the roll-out drawers by opening and closing them. Make sure they slide smoothly and without any obstructions. If needed, adjust the position of the drawer slides or drawers to ensure proper operation.
Installing the roll-out drawers is a satisfying step in the process, as you start to see the transformation of your pantry cabinet. Take your time to ensure that the drawers are properly installed and aligned. Once you’re satisfied with the installation, proceed to the next step to secure the drawers and test their operation.
Step 6: Secure Drawers and Test Operation
After installing the roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet, it’s important to secure them in place and test their operation. This will ensure that the drawers are stable and function smoothly. Follow these steps to secure the drawers and test their operation:
- Secure the drawers: Once the drawers are in their desired position, use a screwdriver to secure them to the drawer slides. This will prevent the drawers from accidentally coming off the slides when pulled out.
- Check for proper alignment: Verify that the roll-out drawers are aligned properly within the cabinet. They should be parallel to each other and evenly spaced. If needed, make adjustments by loosening the screws and repositioning the drawers.
- Test the operation: Gently pull out each roll-out drawer to test its smoothness and stability. The drawers should extend fully without any resistance or wobbling. Close the drawers and ensure they align properly when pushed back into the cabinet.
- Adjust as necessary: If you encounter any issues during the testing process, such as misalignment or difficulties in sliding the drawers, make the necessary adjustments. This may involve readjusting the drawer slides or checking for any obstructions.
By securing the drawers and testing their operation, you can ensure that your roll-out drawers are functional and reliable. It’s essential to address any issues or misalignments to prevent future problems and enhance the overall functionality of your pantry cabinet.
Step 7: Reassemble Pantry Cabinet
With the roll-out drawers securely installed and tested, the final step is to reassemble your pantry cabinet. This step involves putting everything back together, including any adjustable shelves or additional storage components. Follow these steps to reassemble your pantry cabinet:
- Clean the shelves: Before placing them back in the cabinet, take the opportunity to clean the shelves. Wipe off any dust, spills, or debris to ensure a clean and organized space.
- Insert the shelves: Carefully position each shelf at the desired height within the cabinet. Insert the shelf supports or brackets into the predetermined locations. Ensure that the shelves are level and balanced.
- Arrange the items: Once the shelves are in place, start arranging your items back into the pantry cabinet. Consider organizing them in a systematic manner that makes it easy to locate and access items as needed.
- Utilize the roll-out drawers: Take advantage of the newly installed roll-out drawers to store frequently used items or organize specific categories of products. Maximize the functionality of your pantry cabinet by utilizing the roll-out drawers strategically.
Reassembling your pantry cabinet completes the installation process. By carefully organizing your items and utilizing the roll-out drawers effectively, you can create a functional and efficient storage space that meets your specific needs.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet. Enjoy the ease of access and improved organization as you make the most of your newly optimized pantry space!
Transforming your pantry cabinet with roll-out drawers is a rewarding project that can greatly improve the functionality and organization of your kitchen. By following the step-by-step process outlined in this article, you can successfully install roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet and enjoy the benefits of easy access and efficient storage.
Starting with measuring your cabinet space and purchasing the appropriate roll-out drawer hardware, you set the foundation for a successful installation. Removing the existing shelves allows you to create space for the roll-out drawers, and attaching the drawer slides ensures stability and smooth operation.
With the roll-out drawers installed, securely attaching them and testing their operation ensures that they are functional and reliable. Finally, reassembling your pantry cabinet and strategically arranging your items completes the installation process, leaving you with a well-organized and easily accessible storage space.
Remember, each step should be approached with accuracy and attention to detail. Take your time and make any necessary adjustments to ensure a seamless installation. By doing so, you will reap the rewards of a neatly organized pantry cabinet that makes cooking and meal prep a breeze.
So go ahead and embark on this exciting project to enhance the functionality and efficiency of your kitchen. Install roll-out drawers in your pantry cabinet and enjoy the convenience and accessibility they bring to your daily cooking and storage needs!
Frequently Asked Questions about How To Install Roll Out Drawers In A Pantry Cabinet
Was this page helpful?
At Storables.com, we guarantee accurate and reliable information. Our content, validated by Expert Board Contributors, is crafted following stringent Editorial Policies. We're committed to providing you with well-researched, expert-backed insights for all your informational needs.