20 Best Furniture for Small Spaces (Indoors and Outdoors)
Published: August 13, 2021
Modified: August 20, 2021
Written by: Jason Panuelos
Tight areas are no longer a problem with these awesome picks for indoor and outdoor furniture for small spaces. Decorate like a total pro with these tips.
Not everyone can live in the big place of their dreams right away. Many of us don’t really need the space, anyway. One thing is for sure, though: space is a luxury that everyone can appreciate.
This is why designers go through a lot of training to be able to help you make the most out of it. It’s a common misconception that only big places can look fancy and luxurious. With the changing times, real estate has become more scarce and way more expensive so people can only afford smaller and smaller spaces. This gave rise to a lot of amazing innovations in interior design that proves you don’t need that giant condo to have a space you can enjoy.
It’s all about carefully considering what you put into it and how it exactly fits into your lifestyle. This opens you up to a whole new world of furniture for small spaces, and you would actually be pretty surprised at the leaps that design has been able to make to accommodate this niche in the market. There are even some great spots where you can find the best deals for used small furniture locally. Furniture for small spaces isn’t just limited to being used in tight areas. They’re designed to be efficient and take as little of a space as possible, which means you can totally use them in larger areas as well if you’re looking for solutions that can save you a ton of space for other things you might want in the room.
Whether it’s in your living room setup, your bedroom, or even in outdoor spaces like a patio or balcony, the aim of furniture for small spaces is to help you get as much of the stuff you want in a room without the risk of overstuffing your space. For example, having a smartly-proportioned end table in your living room setup can make way for a bigger couch to fit. The same can definitely be said for your bedroom, but in that case, you can fit in a cushier bed. Lastly, for your patio, finding that perfect outdoor table can really make your small porch the mini-resort of your dreams.
- Made of solid composite wood in teak finish.
- Assembly is required.
- Measures 29.1 inches by 29.6 inches by 32.75 inches.
- Includes two drawers, a paper towel holder, two stools, a drop-down leaf top, and casters.
- Awesome space-saving breakfast nook.
- Casters would be better if they were made with metal frames.
Completely movable and can fold into a small flush package, this portable dining set is your textbook-perfect choice when it comes to furniture for small spaces. If you live in an apartment, you can simply just put it away until your next mealtime so it isn’t in the way. Bigger homes can also get a ton of use out of this desk as a mobile island counter where they can have breakfast or just a place for extra preparation requirements to happen. The gorgeous wood finish is just icing on the cake.
- Provides seating, hanging, and storage solutions.
- Gorgeous rack for your entryway.
- Measures 25 inches by 12 inches by 68 inches.
- Includes seven moveable Hooks and two shelves.
- Sturdy metal frame construction.
- Looks super elegant and stylish.
- Mesh shelves could just be solid surfaces.
It can be tricky to find a coat rack that looks super modern and chic which is why this piece is such a hidden gem that you should get your hands on. In terms of style, it looks very minimalistic with its stark white boards and sleek metal frame in lieu of the pronounced wood grain and industrial look. This rack will look fantastic in your entryway to store your most-used shoes, coats, and even provides a handy dandy seating area.
- Made with a liftable engineered wood top level.
- Great hidden storage for your living set.
- Measures 38.6 inches by 19.7 inches by 16.5 inches.
- Comes with convenient cushion pads.
- Solidly built coffee table.
- Comes in a bunch of colors.
- Can look a little too rustic.
Your coffee table can just be so much more than just a surface to put your mail on. It can also be a viable space for hidden storage by going for a piece such as this one from YAHEETECH. The emphasis on the wood grain makes it just right for your living room’s accent piece, but it still has all the functionality that you could ever ask for with a coffee table. It’s a great way to distribute the things that you have to store so you can have smaller bookshelves and cabinets.
- Comes in a gorgeous pearwood color and white.
- Moveable and collapsible dining table.
- Measures 51.2 inches by 31.5 inches by 28.4 inches.
- Comes with six casters.
- Simple and chic and looks good anywhere.
- Works as a console table too.
- White plastic casters can be a bit flimsy.
You can ditch the fancy-dancy set especially if there are just two of you at home and you don’t really need the space. You could just dedicate all the extra room for something that you could actually use like an extra cabinet or even an extension for your pantry. The beauty of furniture for small spaces, after all, is to make room for things you value more than others. Once you’re done with your meal, you can simply fold down the table and it can be completely out of the way.
- Storage buddy to move around with you.
- Works anywhere in the home.
- Measures 5.3 inches by 15.9 inches by 24.6 inches.
- Comes with four sturdy PP wheels.
- Metal baskets are super sturdy.
- Looks great in the bathroom or living room.
- The plastic frame could be better.
A storage cart can be a surprising best friend at home for when you’re cooking, in the bathroom, or even just doing a bunch of your hobbies. It’s a movable mode of storage that can be there for you for almost any purpose. This storage cart is especially gorgeous with its metal mesh baskets and lightweight frame. You can be completely sure it will fit into even the most awkward nooks and crannies of your home. We all have them no matter how big our house is so it will work great no matter the place.
- Gives additional storage in the bedroom.
- Beautiful modern design.
- Measures 56.5 inches by 79.5 inches by 42.5 inches.
- Comes in Grey Linen and Black Linen Upholstery.
- Easy to move and open for storage.
- Great craftsman for tufting.
- Framing could be more solid.
The space under your bed is a highly underrated mode of storage and is one that you should definitely take advantage of. If you live in a tight space, your bed can be used as storage to reduce the need for a larger closet. You can store your more private things underneath and create a more seamless look than having more stuff crammed into such a small space. It also doesn’t hurt that the style of this bed frame is so sophisticated and chic.
- Comes with anti-slip feet and is very stable.
- Perfect for any kitchen storage.
- Measures 16.93 inches by 16.93 inches by 15.35 inches.
- Made with bamboo and metal.
- Gorgeous extra storage in the kitchen.
- Construction could be more stable.
Small shelves in the kitchen can be a real lifesaver. It may look unwise to add more stuff on top of the counter, but this little stylish shelf gives you way more options for storage and keeps everything more visible instead of the usual case where things get pushed to the back and forgotten. There’s definitely also something to be said about the stunning wood color that this comes with. And the best part is that it’s an affordable thing to add to your kitchen.
- Perfect small storage cabinet for maximum space.
- Easy to assemble and quick storage.
- Measures 19 inches by 6.5 inches by 23 inches.
- Made with painted engineered wood.
- Works as storage anywhere at home.
- Joints could be more hidden and seamless.
Everyone can relate to needing more storage in the bathroom. However, it can be hard to actually pull off without the risk of crowding your bathroom way too much. This slim little cabinet can fit just perfectly beside your sink or even the toilet and it would look like it was made for that very nook. However, you can totally use this versatile cabinet everywhere else because it’s just so universal in terms of design and even storage capacity. There’s just no way this wouldn’t work anywhere you put it.
- Comes together in a full flush box.
- Perfect space-saving furniture for a small patio.
- Measures 26.8 inches by 20.5 inches by 27.6 inches.
- Made with waterproof PE wicker and steel frame.
- Durable and high-quality furniture.
- Looks great on a small patio.
- It looks a little bit too rigid.
Most commonly, outdoor spaces are the tightest of all areas in small homes. This makes a lot of sense as most homes will prioritize the interior spaces. However, there’s still much hope for those who are still looking to dress it up without overcrowding. This patio furniture set for small spaces can fold out into a gorgeous dining set that’s just perfect for an intimate meal for two, but you can push the chairs into the table to form a flush cube that takes almost no space at all.
- Perfect additional storage space in the bathroom.
- Made with a crisp white painted finish.
- Measures 38.3 inches by 34.1 inches by 6.5 inches
- Made with top-quality engineered wood.
- Simple added storage solution in the bathroom.
- Might not look great with a modern design.
All that vertical space above your toilet is usually just wasted or underutilized which is why this slim cabinet can help you make the most out of it without fully committing to a big shelf which can make the walls seem closer than they really are. This cabinet is the perfect middle ground of providing extra convenient storage without going all the way to the lengths of most over the toilet shelves. The best part is that it even has enough space for backup rolls of tissue paper.
- Makes use of the space above your sink.
- Has dedicated racks for different types of items.
- Measures 33.5 inches by 12.6 inches by 20.5 inches.
- Made with a full metal frame.
- Extendable and greatly flexible.
- Better if the height was also adjustable.
Another commonly underutilized space is the area above the kitchen sink. You no longer need to have your dish rack on the side when you have it perfectly poised on top of the sink. This also eliminates the need for a tray to catch all the excess moisture dripping from your plates. It all just falls seamlessly into the sink and lessens the work for you. Moreover, it comes in a sleek black painted metal frame and looks like a million bucks.
- Beautiful compact dining set for small spaces.
- Looks great even in larger spaces.
- Measures 36 inches by 19.5 inches by 36 inches.
- Offers a storage space with dining space.
- Perfect all-in-one dining set for an apartment.
- The laminate on the table surface could be improved.
It can be rare to find compact furniture that’s done in a gorgeous and classy finish. This black-painted table has some nice contrast going on with the cherry wood tabletop. It’s not collapsible, but it takes up so little space that you can just have it as a permanent fixture in your kitchen or dining area. The icing on the cake here is the spaces made by little shelves on the side where you can place all your kitchen essentials or just some reading material you can get into while cooking or baking.
People Who Search For furniture for small spaces Also Search For
- Converts into a functional day bed.
- Great transforming furniture for small spaces.
- Measures 74 inches by 37 inches by 17 inches.
- Made with high-quality fabric and a sturdy metal frame.
- Converts into a small ottoman.
- Works as so many different types of seating.
- Looks a bit too squared at times.
If you’ve ever wondered if there’s a way to turn your living area into a complete guest room without sacrificing too much space, here’s an option that you can turn into the perfect single bed or daybed. It’s a fully comfortable armchair that looks chic and compact, but it can also be converted into a nice sleeping spot if you ever need to go for a quick power nap. The coolest thing about this piece of furniture is how it can fold down into a compact little ottoman if you need it to be completely out of the way.
- Fully collapses into a wall panel.
- Works as a workstation or even a dining table.
- Measures 23.6 inches by 33.5 inches by 58.5 inches.
- Made with MDF panels.
- Sturdy construction for compact furniture.
- Not advisable for small kids.
For most of the day, this piece of furniture can fit snugly into your wall like a work of art. But when it’s time to work or have a quick meal, you can simply unlatch it and have a nice table out of the wall like magic. Although it’s not highly recommended if you have young and curious children around, it can certainly be a great lifesaver to save up on space and have it completely take no space on the floor whenever it’s not in use. It also functions as a great work desk for homeschooling or working at home.
- Comes in various colors and sizes.
- Offers an instant loft bedroom.
- Measures 71 inches by 55.25 inches by 79 inches.
- Guard rails and ladder included.
- Ships ready to be assembled.
- Fits most double-sized beds.
- The frame could be more seamless.
Loft bedrooms are the best solution to studio apartments as it creates a completely different zone for your bed with ample space underneath for a full personal area like a workspace or a living room like in the photo above. There are plenty of possibilities that having an elevated bed can give you in a snap; these beds should be more of an option anywhere and not just in studio apartments. However, it’s obviously not a great option for people who are getting on in their years.
- Modern and simplistic end table design.
- Perfect for TV trays.
- Measures with a 24-inch diameter.
- Can be assembled with a Phillips screwdriver in 10 minutes.
- Gorgeous and minimalist design.
- Made with beautiful wood and gold metal.
- Legs can be awkward if not styled properly.
Sometimes, a nice end table is all you need to have a great meal in front of the TV. This end table may not have wheels but it can move around just as easily with its bar for a leg and it just sweeps seamlessly underneath your sofa so you can fully reach your food. It can also work as a wonderful side table for your bed. It may not fit a whole personal computer set-up but your iPad or small laptop would fit just fine and you’d have a mobile little desk that’s just there or your every need.
- Perfect companion in the bedroom.
- Mobile desk for lazy days.
- Measures 71 inches by 16 inches by 35.5 inches.
- It weighs 57.32 pounds.
- Can carry up to 350 pounds.
- Clean and crisp edges and design.
- Only comes in a fixed queen size.
If an end table isn’t enough for you, then maybe you can go for something big like this mobile desk that slides right onto your bed. Although it may remind you a little bit of a hospital table, how cool and convenient would be to just have a lazy day in bed with your computer and work things just within reach? Because let’s be honest: there’s no seat that’s more comfortable than your bed. It also doesn’t just have to be for work purposes but also breakfast in bed or just a lazy night with your computer playing a bunch of Netflix shows.
- A great home office companion.
- Desk for rooms with tight corners.
- Works with any corners.
- Made with solid wood.
- Sturdy build and looks great anywhere.
- Great as a console or a work desk.
- Does not come with a matching chair.
The corners of your bedroom are also precious spaces that you should make the most out of, so why not invest in a gorgeous solid wood corner desk? Not only will it look great, but it will be super convenient and functional. This particular design is absolutely stunning with its black-painted body topped with a cherry red wooden tabletop. It’s the perfect addition to almost any flat and all that’s missing is a chair that you can work all day in.
- Looks elegantly hung on a cabinet door.
- Incorporates two mirrors in the design.
- Measures 13.88 inches by 5.13 inches by 47 inches.
- Heather Gray Engineered Wood construction.
- Has a neutral wood tone and looks so stylish.
- Can store a variety of items.
- Laminate material could be improved.
The surfaces of your doors can be made functional by adding this medal of a cabinet right on top. It almost looks like a backpack on your doors but is made very slim and sleek. This can instantly add a cabinet to almost any swinging surface at your home. Although the photo suggests that it probably belongs in your bathroom, you can certainly turn this into an extension of your pantry or even your vanity. The possibilities are absolutely endless with innovations such as this.
- Customizable shelves for dynamic furniture.
- A glossy and stylish piece of furniture.
- Measures 13.28 inches by 13.28 inches by 37.05 inches.
- Has a capacity for 216 CDs, 144 DVDs, or 168 Blu-Rays or Games.
- The dark wood color looks very sophisticated.
- Very easy to assemble.
- The assembly fee costs $80.
If you’ve ever wondered if the pieces of furniture for small spaces can be a focal point all on their own, the answer to that is yes. This shelf takes a little bit more space than usual. It doesn’t quietly blend into a corner or fit into an awkward nook in your house. Instead, it announces its presence with fully customizable shelf angles to provide a great view no matter where you look at it. If you’ve got a small space, it can be placed in the middle of it and provide different things for different zones in your home. This makes it easy to personalize and instantly become an extension of your individuality.
Frequently Asked Questions About Furniture For Small Spaces
1. What are the factors to consider when choosing furniture for small spaces?
It can actually be really helpful to work backward when you’re working with an existing space. First, you have to think about what you want to have in the room. List it all down and try to determine a piece of furniture that everything revolves around. Especially when choosing pieces for a small living room, it tends to revolve around the biggest things like a sofa. These usually come big and are things you don’t really want to skimp on size-wise. You can simply adjust everything around it. It’s much easier to find a smaller side table or a smaller console for your decorative pieces.
However, if you’re not working backward, you can still make a list of everything you want to put in the room. This time, you have to be more conscious about the things you want to store as cabinets and shelves also take a surprising amount of space. If you prioritize your storage solutions, you can get a clearer picture of what space is left after you have all the cabinets you need. You can then proceed to check for more space-saving options for your other furniture. That’s where you can start considering the price and quality of the furniture that you’re getting. Generally, furniture pieces for tiny spaces are on the affordable side with pretty decent quality so don’t worry about burning through your budget.
2. Are multifunctional furniture for small spaces the best option to buy?
You can certainly get a lot of bang for your buck with things like transforming furniture for small spaces and furniture that’s made to be multifunctional. They answer a lot of your different needs and requirements all at once which is always a great thing to have. However, it also has more room for error. It’s a pretty common thing when multifunctional furniture loses one or two of its functions through time – with some of them not even taking all that long to give up after purchase. While multifunctional furniture is a good option, just be sure to invest in pieces that are of great quality and have fewer chances of losing their touch in the future.
3. What is the part of the room that most people fail to make the most out of?
You would actually be surprised, but it’s actually the corners. If you look at any small space, most people tend to fully load one side of the wall, but sometimes, there’s just no way of perfectly filling it from wall to wall. This is more commonly seen in bathrooms where awkward gaps are highly likely to form. The best way to address this is with corner furniture. It takes care of an empty corner where most traditional furniture won’t fit. Some of the best small furniture you’ll encounter in your shopping journey will definitely be the corner cabinet and a lot of them can be quite stunning and marvelously useful.
Not everyone can afford the luxury of having furniture custom-made for their spaces. It takes a ton of time to make and it also takes quite a bit of money, too. However, by carefully shopping around for the best pieces of furniture for small spaces, you can make even the tightest spaces feel tailor-made for your needs. If you need some more inspiration, you can always check our site for some more amazing tips on DIY home decoration ideas.
The best part about shopping around for small furniture is that they’re usually quite affordable and are made in pretty good quality. Value for money will almost never be a problem, though it’s always good to invest in certain pieces such as your bed and your couch. Another very common mistake that furniture buyers make is that they get the cheapest one they find and then regret it not long after when it breaks from simple wear and tear. By simply following our guides, you can find yourself filling your home like a total pro with the absolute best pieces of furniture for small spaces.