How To Cook Pumpkin Seeds In The Air Fryer
Modified: January 4, 2024
Learn how to cook delicious pumpkin seeds from your garden in the air fryer. Enjoy the perfect balance of crunch and flavor with this simple recipe.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Gardening enthusiasts are often rewarded with an abundant harvest of delicious vegetables, but what about those unassuming pumpkin seeds? Don’t let them go to waste! By learning how to cook pumpkin seeds in the air fryer, you can turn them into a tasty and nutritious snack.
Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are not only a delicious treat but also packed with essential nutrients. Rich in protein, fiber, healthy fats, and a variety of vitamins and minerals, these tiny seeds offer a range of health benefits. They can support heart health, aid in digestion, boost the immune system, and even promote restful sleep.
While you can roast pumpkin seeds in the oven, using an air fryer takes the process to a whole new level. This versatile kitchen appliance circulates hot air around the food, resulting in a crispy and evenly cooked snack. Plus, it requires less oil and offers a quicker cooking time compared to traditional methods.
In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of preparing and cooking pumpkin seeds in the air fryer. We’ll also explore various seasoning options to add flavor and share some tips for achieving the perfect crispy texture. So, let’s get started and unlock the delicious potential of those pumpkin seeds!
Read more: How To Make Pumpkin Seeds In Air Fryer
Preparing the pumpkin seeds
Before you can start cooking the pumpkin seeds in the air fryer, you need to properly prepare them. Here’s a simple guide to get you started:
- Remove the seeds: Begin by carefully cutting open the pumpkin or squash and scooping out the seeds with a spoon. Place them in a colander or sieve.
- Clean the seeds: Rinse the pumpkin seeds under cold water, removing the flesh and any pulp. Use your fingers or a spoon to help separate the seeds from the stringy fibers.
- Pat dry: Once the seeds are clean, transfer them to a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. Gently pat them dry to remove any excess moisture. This step is crucial for achieving a crispy texture.
- Optional: Remove the shells (optional): If you prefer to enjoy your pumpkin seeds without the outer shell, you can remove it by cracking them open gently with a nutcracker or between two kitchen towels. This step requires a bit more effort but can be worth it for a more enjoyable snacking experience.
- Preheat the air fryer: Before cooking the pumpkin seeds, preheat your air fryer to the recommended temperature. This step ensures that the seeds cook evenly and maintain their crunch.
Once you’ve completed these preparation steps, you’re ready to move on to the next exciting phase: seasoning your pumpkin seeds!
Seasoning options for pumpkin seeds
One of the great things about cooking pumpkin seeds in the air fryer is the versatility when it comes to seasoning. You can customize the flavors to suit your taste preferences. Here are some delicious seasoning options to consider:
- Salt and pepper: Sometimes simplicity is the key. Tossing the pumpkin seeds with a sprinkle of salt and pepper before air frying brings out their natural nutty flavor.
- Garlic and herbs: If you’re a fan of savory flavors, consider adding garlic powder, dried herbs like rosemary or thyme, or a combination of both. This combination adds a delightful aroma and a hint of earthiness.
- Sweet and spicy: For those who enjoy a little kick of heat, try a combination of brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. The sweetness and spiciness add a tantalizing contrast to the pumpkin seeds.
- Smoky barbecue: Create a smoky and savory snack by seasoning the pumpkin seeds with a smoky barbecue spice blend. This option is perfect for those who enjoy a deeper, smokier flavor profile.
- Curry and turmeric: Add an exotic twist to your pumpkin seeds by incorporating curry powder and a pinch of turmeric. This combination offers a vibrant and aromatic flavor that pairs beautifully with the nuttiness of the seeds.
Remember, these are just a few suggestions to get you started. Feel free to experiment with different seasonings and combinations to create your own unique flavors. The air fryer helps to enhance the flavors by evenly coating the seeds and creating a satisfying crunch.
Now that you have your pumpkin seeds seasoned, it’s time to move on to the cooking process in the air fryer.
Cooking the pumpkin seeds in the air fryer
Now that your pumpkin seeds are prepared and seasoned, it’s time to cook them in the air fryer. Follow these steps for perfectly air-fried pumpkin seeds:
- Preheat the air fryer: Before adding the pumpkin seeds, preheat the air fryer to the recommended temperature specified in your air fryer’s manual. This typically ranges from 325°F (160°C) to 375°F (190°C).
- Spread the seeds: In a single layer, spread the seasoned pumpkin seeds in the air fryer basket. Avoid overcrowding the seeds to ensure even cooking and proper crispiness.
- Air fry: Place the basket in the preheated air fryer and cook the pumpkin seeds for about 10-15 minutes. The exact cooking time may vary depending on the air fryer model, so keep an eye on the seeds and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Shake or stir: To ensure even cooking, gently shake the air fryer basket or stir the pumpkin seeds about halfway through the cooking process. This helps to prevent them from sticking together and promotes a uniform crispy texture.
- Check for doneness: After the recommended cooking time, check the seeds for doneness. They should be golden brown and crispy. If necessary, continue cooking for a few minutes more until you achieve the desired level of crunchiness.
Remember to exercise caution when handling the air fryer basket as it will be hot. Use oven mitts or tongs to remove the basket and transfer the cooked pumpkin seeds to a plate or bowl.
Now that you know how to cook pumpkin seeds in the air fryer, let’s move on to some helpful tips for achieving the perfect crispy texture.
Tips for achieving the perfect crispy texture
When it comes to cooking pumpkin seeds in the air fryer, achieving the perfect crispy texture is key. Follow these helpful tips to ensure your pumpkin seeds turn out wonderfully crunchy:
- Pat dry thoroughly: After rinsing the pumpkin seeds, make sure to pat them dry as much as possible. Excess moisture can hinder the crisping process, resulting in less crunchy seeds.
- Use the right amount of oil: While air fryers require less oil compared to traditional frying methods, adding a small amount of oil to your seasoned pumpkin seeds can help enhance the crunchiness. Toss the seeds with a teaspoon or two of oil, just enough to coat them evenly.
- Avoid overcrowding: Spread the pumpkin seeds in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they have enough space to crisp up properly. Overcrowding can cause uneven cooking and result in less crispy seeds.
- Gently shake or stir: About halfway through the cooking time, gently shake the air fryer basket or stir the seeds. This helps to ensure even browning and prevents the seeds from sticking together.
- Adjust cooking time and temperature: Keep an eye on the pumpkin seeds as they cook. If you notice they are browning too quickly, reduce the temperature slightly or decrease the cooking time. On the other hand, if they are not becoming crispy enough, increase the temperature or cooking time slightly.
- Allow for cooling time: Once the pumpkin seeds are cooked to your liking, remove them from the air fryer and let them cool completely. This allows them to crisp up further and become even more crunchy.
By following these tips, you can elevate your air-fried pumpkin seeds to a whole new level of crunchiness. Now let’s move on to serving and storing your delectable creation.
Read more: How To Cook Pumpkin Seeds In An Air Fryer
Serving and storing the air-fried pumpkin seeds
Now that your air-fried pumpkin seeds are ready, it’s time to enjoy them as a delicious and nutritious snack. Here are some serving suggestions and tips for storing your crunchy creation:
- Serve as a snack: Air-fried pumpkin seeds make a fantastic snack on their own. Serve them in a bowl and enjoy them as a healthy alternative to chips or other processed snacks.
- Sprinkle on salads: Add a delightful crunch to your salads by sprinkling air-fried pumpkin seeds on top. They pair well with leafy greens, roasted vegetables, and even fruit salads.
- Incorporate into trail mix: Combine air-fried pumpkin seeds with dried fruits, nuts, and other favorite mix-ins to create a customized trail mix. It’s a portable and nutritious snack for on-the-go moments.
- Garnish soups and stews: Sprinkle air-fried pumpkin seeds on top of soups or stews to add a satisfying crunch and texture. They pair particularly well with creamy butternut squash or pumpkin soups.
When it comes to storing your air-fried pumpkin seeds, follow these guidelines to keep them fresh and maintain their crispy texture:
- Cool completely: Ensure that the air-fried pumpkin seeds have cooled down completely before storing them. This helps to prevent moisture buildup and maintain their crunch.
- Store in an airtight container: Transfer the cooled pumpkin seeds to an airtight container or resealable bag. This helps prevent exposure to air and moisture, which can soften the seeds.
- Store in a cool, dark place: Keep the container of air-fried pumpkin seeds in a cool and dry area, away from direct sunlight. Excessive heat and light can affect their taste and freshness.
- Consume within a few weeks: While air-fried pumpkin seeds are known to stay fresh for several weeks, it’s best to consume them within a reasonable timeframe to ensure optimal quality.
With proper storage, you can enjoy your air-fried pumpkin seeds as a tasty snack for several weeks.
Now that you know how to serve and store your air-fried pumpkin seeds, it’s time to get creative and enjoy the delicious rewards of your gardening efforts.
Cooking pumpkin seeds in the air fryer is a wonderful way to make use of the often-overlooked treasure hidden inside the pumpkin. With just a few simple steps, you can transform these seeds into a flavorful and nutritious snack that satisfies your cravings.
By following the preparation techniques, experimenting with different seasonings, and using the air fryer’s cooking capabilities, you can achieve perfectly crispy pumpkin seeds every time. Whether you prefer them savory, sweet, or spicy, there are endless seasoning options to suit your taste buds.
Serve your air-fried pumpkin seeds as a snack on their own, sprinkle them on salads, or incorporate them into trail mix or garnish for soups. The versatility of these crunchy delights knows no bounds.
Remember to store your air-fried pumpkin seeds in an airtight container in a cool and dry place to maintain their crunch and freshness for weeks to come.
So, the next time you carve a pumpkin or cook with squash, don’t discard those seeds. Instead, put your air fryer to work and try out this simple and rewarding recipe. Get creative with your seasonings, and enjoy the satisfying crunch of air-fried pumpkin seeds as a wholesome and nutritious snack.
Now, grab your air fryer, gather those pumpkin seeds, and embark on a culinary adventure that will both delight your taste buds and make the most of your garden harvest. Happy air-frying!
Was this page helpful?
At Storables.com, we guarantee accurate and reliable information. Our content, validated by Expert Board Contributors, is crafted following stringent Editorial Policies. We're committed to providing you with well-researched, expert-backed insights for all your informational needs.