Living Room Storage
15 Farmhouse Living Room Wall Decor: How To Decorate A Blank Wall
Published: August 26, 2023
Looking for farmhouse living room wall decor ideas and tips? Learn how to decorate a blank wall in your living room with creative and functional storage solutions.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Storables.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to the world of farmhouse living room décor! If you’re looking to add charm and character to your living space, one area you don’t want to neglect is the walls. A blank wall can be a missed opportunity to infuse your personal style and create a focal point in the room. With the right wall decor, you can transform an ordinary living room into a cozy farmhouse retreat.
When it comes to choosing wall decor for a farmhouse living room, it’s all about embracing rustic elements, vintage accents, and natural textures. Think distressed wood, weathered metal, and ticking fabric. By incorporating these elements into your wall decor, you can create a warm and inviting atmosphere that exudes farmhouse charm.
But with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to decide which wall decor ideas will work best for your living room. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of 15 farmhouse living room wall decor ideas to inspire you. Whether you’re starting from scratch or looking to refresh your space, these ideas will help you decorate your blank walls with style and purpose. Let’s dive in!
Choosing the Right Wall Decor
Before diving into specific wall decor ideas, it’s important to understand how to choose the right pieces for your farmhouse living room. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Style: Determine the overall style you want to achieve. Are you aiming for a more rustic, vintage look, or do you prefer a modern farmhouse aesthetic? This will help guide your wall decor choices.
- Size: Consider the size of your wall in relation to the size of the decor. Oversized pieces can make a bold statement, while smaller accents can be used to create a gallery wall or fill in empty spaces.
- Color Palette: Take into account the colors used in the rest of your living room. Choose wall decor that complements or contrasts with these colors to create visual interest and cohesion.
- Texture: Farmhouse style is all about texture. Look for wall decor that incorporates natural materials such as wood, metal, and woven fibers. These textures will add depth and richness to your living room walls.
- Functionality: Consider the functionality of your wall decor. Can it serve a purpose beyond being decorative? For example, a set of rustic wood shelves can provide both storage and display space.
By keeping these factors in mind, you can choose wall decor that not only enhances the aesthetic of your living room but also reflects your personal style and lifestyle. With the basics covered, let’s explore some farmhouse living room wall decor ideas to inspire your creativity!
Farmhouse Living Room Wall Decor Ideas
Now that you have a good understanding of how to choose the right wall decor, let’s explore 15 farmhouse living room wall decor ideas to help you transform your space:
- Shiplap Accent Wall: Create a stunning focal point by adding a shiplap accent wall. The horizontal wooden planks add texture and charm to your living room.
- Barnyard Window Frames: Hang up antique window frames from old barns for a touch of rustic elegance. You can leave them as is or hang wreaths or greenery from them.
- Hanging Wreaths: Adorn your walls with handmade or store-bought wreaths made from natural materials like birch bark, cotton, or preserved boxwood.
- Vintage Signage: Display vintage-style signs with farmhouse-inspired quotes or words. Look for distressed wood or metal signs for an authentic farmhouse look.
- Rustic Wood Shelves: Install rustic wood shelves on your walls to showcase your favorite farmhouse decor pieces. These shelves can also provide storage and display space for books, plants, or family photos.
- Gallery Wall: Create a gallery wall using a mix of vintage frames, black and white photos, botanical prints, and typography art. Arrange them in a visually pleasing pattern for a personalized touch.
- Antique Mirrors: Add depth and light to your living room with antique mirrors in ornate frames. The distressed finish adds vintage charm and reflects natural light.
- Hanging Mason Jars: Fill mason jars with fresh or dried flowers and hang them as wall vases. They add a rustic touch while bringing a pop of color to your living room.
- Macrame Wall Hangings: Incorporate the boho-inspired trend of macrame by hanging woven wall hangings. They add texture and a relaxed vibe to your farmhouse living space.
- Repurposed Farm Tools: Hang repurposed farm tools on your walls for a unique and quirky farmhouse look. An antique rake or pitchfork can make a charming and unexpected decor piece.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. You can mix and match these ideas or put your own twist on them to create a truly personalized farmhouse living room. Let your creativity shine and have fun transforming your blank walls into stunning focal points!
Shiplap Accent Wall
One of the most iconic features of farmhouse style is the shiplap accent wall. Shiplap is a type of wooden paneling characterized by its horizontal planks that overlap each other, creating a distinctive groove between each board. Adding a shiplap accent wall to your farmhouse living room can instantly transform the space and create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
To create a shiplap accent wall, start by measuring your wall and determining how many planks you’ll need. You can purchase pre-cut shiplap boards from your local home improvement store, or for a more authentic look, use reclaimed wood or barnwood. Make sure to sand and clean the boards before installation.
Next, locate the studs on your wall using a stud finder. This will ensure that each shiplap board is securely attached. Use a level to draw a straight line where the first row of shiplap boards will be placed.
Begin installing the shiplap boards, starting from the bottom and working your way up. Apply a generous amount of construction adhesive on the back of each board and press it firmly against the wall. Secure each board in place using a nail gun, aiming for the studs whenever possible.
Continue installing the shiplap boards row by row, making sure to offset the seams for a seamless look. Use a saw to cut the boards to size when necessary, ensuring a proper fit along corners and edges.
Once all the boards are in place, fill any nail holes with wood filler and sand the surface to create a smooth finish. You can leave the shiplap in its natural wood tone for a more rustic look or paint it in a color that complements your living room decor.
A shiplap accent wall can be a stunning backdrop for your farmhouse living room. It adds texture, depth, and visual interest to the space while maintaining a classic and timeless charm. Whether you choose to incorporate it in your entire living room or just on one wall, a shiplap accent wall will undoubtedly become a focal point that brings the farmhouse spirit to life.
Barnyard Window Frames
When it comes to farmhouse living room wall decor, incorporating vintage elements is key. One popular and charming option is using barnyard window frames as decorative accents. These rustic window frames add a touch of history and character to your space, serving as a stunning focal point on your walls.
You can source barnyard window frames from antique stores, salvage yards, or even online marketplaces. Look for frames with interesting architectural details, such as the original paint, chipped edges, or unique hardware. The imperfections and weathered appearance of these frames will add to their farmhouse appeal.
There are various ways to incorporate barnyard window frames into your living room wall decor. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Hanging Solo: You can hang a single window frame on the wall using hooks or nails. Let it stand alone as a statement piece, allowing its vintage charm to shine through.
- Wreath Display: Another option is to hang a barnyard window frame and decorate it with a wreath. Choose a wreath made from dried flowers, cotton, or a combination of greenery to complement the rustic look of the frame.
- Gallery Wall: Create a gallery wall using multiple barnyard window frames. Mix and match different sizes and orientations for visual interest. You can leave the frames empty or insert photos, botanical prints, or artwork within each frame.
- Backdrop for Shelves: If you have rustic wood shelves in your living room, consider placing a barnyard window frame behind them. This will serve as a backdrop and create a visually appealing display for your decor items.
When hanging the barnyard window frames, make sure to securely attach them to the wall. Use sturdy hooks or nails that can support the weight of the frame. You may also consider using wall anchors to ensure stability.
For an extra touch of farmhouse charm, you can intertwine greenery, such as ivy or a string of fairy lights, around the window frame. This will add a natural and whimsical element to your living room decor.
Remember, barnyard window frames are not only beautiful decorative pieces but also give a nod to the history and heritage of farmhouse living. They infuse your living room with warmth and character, creating an inviting and cozy atmosphere that truly embodies the farmhouse aesthetic.
One of the simplest and most delightful ways to adorn your farmhouse living room walls is by hanging wreaths. Wreaths bring a touch of natural beauty and seasonal charm to your space, creating a welcoming and inviting atmosphere.
When choosing wreaths for your farmhouse living room, consider using materials that align with the rustic and organic elements of the farmhouse style. Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- Dried Flowers: Opt for wreaths made from dried flowers and foliage, such as lavender, eucalyptus, or dried wheat. These wreaths add a touch of elegance and a natural scent to your living room.
- Cotton: A classic farmhouse element, wreaths made from dried cotton stems bring a rustic and cozy feel to your wall decor. They add texture and a touch of nostalgia to the space.
- Grapevine: Create a truly organic and natural look with wreaths made from grapevine. These wreaths can be left as is or adorned with greenery, flowers, or even small ornaments.
- Boxwood: Boxwood wreaths offer a timeless and versatile option for farmhouse living room decor. They can be displayed year-round or embellished with seasonal elements like bows or ornaments.
Incorporating wreaths into your wall decor is simple and allows for creativity. You can hang one wreath alone or create a captivating arrangement using multiple wreaths. Here are a few ideas on how to hang wreaths:
- On Hooks: Install decorative hooks on your walls and hang wreaths directly from them. This method allows you to easily switch out the wreaths depending on the season or your preference.
- On Window Panes: If you have vintage window panes or frames, suspend wreaths from them using ribbon or twine. Hang the window frame on the wall for a charming and rustic display.
- On a Gallery Wall: Include wreaths as part of a gallery wall display. Mix and match wreaths with other wall decor elements, such as framed photos or decorative signs, for a visually captivating arrangement.
- Through Ribbon: Use wide or burlap ribbon to hang wreaths from. Create a looped ribbon and attach it to the top of the wreath, then hang the ribbon from hooks or nails on the wall.
Remember to hang the wreaths securely, using sturdy hooks or nails that can support their weight. Take care not to damage the wreath or the wall surface when hanging.
Hanging wreaths on your farmhouse living room walls is an easy and versatile way to add a touch of nature and charm to your space. Whether you choose to display them year-round or change them out with the seasons, wreaths will bring a festive and inviting spirit to your farmhouse decor.
One of the most captivating and nostalgic elements of farmhouse living room decor is the use of vintage signage. Vintage signs evoke a sense of history and add a whimsical touch to your walls, enhancing the overall farmhouse charm of the space.
When selecting vintage signs for your living room, look for ones that reflect the rustic and vintage aesthetic of farmhouse style. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Distressed Wood Signs: Choose signs made from weathered or distressed wood for an authentic farmhouse look. These signs often feature farm-inspired quotes or words, adding a rustic and charming element to your decor.
- Metal Signs: Vintage metal signs with faded paint or patina are another popular option for farmhouse living room wall decor. Look for signs that feature retro advertisements, farm animals, or meaningful quotes.
- Typography Art: Explore typography art pieces that capture the essence of farmhouse style. These pieces often use vintage fonts, distressed backgrounds, and meaningful words or phrases to create a visually appealing and nostalgic look.
- Reclaimed Signage: For a truly unique touch, consider using reclaimed signage from barns, old buildings, or flea markets. These pieces bring authenticity and history to your living room walls, creating a conversation piece for visitors.
When displaying vintage signs, there are several options to consider:
- Solo Display: Hang a single vintage sign as a statement piece. Select a focal point wall or a space where the sign can be easily seen and admired.
- Grouped Arrangement: Create a visually captivating display by grouping several vintage signs together. Mix and match different sizes and styles to add variety and interest to your wall decor.
- Gallery Wall: Incorporate vintage signs as part of a gallery wall, combining them with other wall decor elements such as old photographs, artwork, or botanical prints. Arrange them in a visually pleasing pattern for a personalized touch.
When hanging vintage signs, consider using hooks, nails, or brackets that match the style of the sign. Pay attention to the weight and size of the sign to ensure secure hanging and prevent any damage to the walls.
Vintage signage adds character, nostalgia, and a touch of authenticity to your farmhouse living room. Each sign carries its own story and contributes to the overall warm and inviting atmosphere of your space. Showcasing these unique treasures on your walls will transport you and your guests to a bygone era while infusing your living room with timeless charm.
Rustic Wood Shelves
When it comes to practical and aesthetically pleasing wall decor, rustic wood shelves are a perfect choice for farmhouse living rooms. These shelves not only serve as functional storage solutions but also add warmth, texture, and character to your walls.
Choosing the right rustic wood shelves is essential to complement the farmhouse style. Look for shelves made from reclaimed or distressed wood, as these materials embody the rustic and weathered charm that is characteristic of farmhouse decor. You can purchase pre-made rustic wood shelves from home improvement stores or opt for a more unique and personalized touch by crafting your own shelves.
Once you have your rustic wood shelves ready, it’s time to install them on your living room walls. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Measuring and Marking: Measure the desired height and location of your shelves on the wall. Use a level to ensure accuracy and mark the positions where the shelves will be installed.
- Bracket Placement: Attach shelf brackets to the wall following the marks you made. Make sure the brackets are level and securely anchored to the wall to support the weight of the shelves.
- Attaching the Shelves: Place the rustic wood shelves on top of the brackets, making sure they are aligned and centered. Secure the shelves to the brackets using screws or nails. Check for stability and adjust if necessary.
- Styling the Shelves: Once the shelves are securely mounted, it’s time to have fun styling them with farmhouse-inspired decor. Mix and match a variety of items such as woven baskets, vintage books, wooden crates, galvanized metal containers, potted plants, and antique knick-knacks to create a visually appealing display.
Rustic wood shelves provide ample storage and display space for a variety of farmhouse decor elements. They can be used to showcase family photographs, heirlooms, or a collection of vintage items. You can also incorporate functional elements such as mason jars filled with flowers or herbs, adding a touch of natural beauty to your living room.
Don’t be afraid to play with different shapes and sizes of rustic wood shelves. You can install a single long shelf for a minimalistic look or create an arrangement of staggered shelves for added visual interest. Just make sure the shelves are evenly spaced and balanced with the overall dimensions of your living room walls.
Rustic wood shelves not only provide storage but also serve as stunning visual elements in your farmhouse living room. The natural warmth and texture of the wood will add depth and authenticity, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere that perfectly complements the farmhouse aesthetic.
A gallery wall is a versatile and visually striking way to decorate your farmhouse living room walls. This arrangement allows you to showcase a collection of artwork, photographs, and other decorative elements that reflect your personal style and interests.
A well-curated gallery wall can become a focal point in your living room, adding personality and visual appeal to the space. Here’s how you can create a stunning farmhouse-inspired gallery wall:
- Plan Your Layout: Before hanging any items, plan out the layout of your gallery wall. Lay the items on the floor and experiment with different arrangements until you find the one that you like best. This step will help you visualize the final look and make any necessary adjustments.
- Mix and Match: Include a mix of artwork, framed photos, vintage signs, botanical prints, and other decorative elements in different sizes and shapes. This variation adds visual interest and creates a dynamic display. Don’t be afraid to combine different art styles and mediums for an eclectic and charming farmhouse look.
- Centerpiece: Start by selecting a centerpiece for your gallery wall. This could be a large piece of artwork, a statement mirror, or a vintage sign. Arrange the rest of the items around the centerpiece to create a visually balanced composition.
- Spacing and Alignment: When hanging the items on the wall, consider the spacing and alignment. Maintain consistent spacing between each piece for a cohesive look. Use a level to ensure that everything is straight and aligned.
- Include Additional Elements: Incorporate additional decorative elements to enhance the farmhouse feel of your gallery wall. Consider adding small shelves, hanging greenery, or even vintage hooks to display accessories such as hats or scarves.
- Personal Touches: Make your gallery wall unique and personal by including items that have sentimental value. Frame cherished family photographs, display a homemade artwork, or showcase vintage family heirlooms. These personal touches will add depth and meaning to your farmhouse living room decor.
When it comes to hanging the items on your gallery wall, consider using picture hanging hooks or adhesive hooks that provide strong support for the weight of the frames. If you’re unsure about your arrangement, you can create paper templates of the items and tape them to the wall to get a better idea of the final look before making any holes.
A farmhouse-inspired gallery wall allows you to showcase your unique style and interests while creating a visually captivating focal point. This versatile wall decor option allows you to easily update and change the display as you desire, providing endless possibilities for creativity and personalization in your farmhouse living room.
Antique mirrors are a perfect addition to any farmhouse living room, bringing elegance, character, and a touch of vintage charm to your walls. These mirrors not only serve a functional purpose but also act as decorative statement pieces that can enhance the overall aesthetic of your living space.
When selecting antique mirrors for your farmhouse living room, look for mirrors with ornate frames, distressed finishes, or vintage details. These elements add an old-world charm that complements the rustic and vintage style of farmhouse decor.
Here are some ideas to incorporate antique mirrors into your farmhouse living room wall decor:
- Focal Point Mirror: Hang a large antique mirror on a prominent wall to create a striking focal point in your living room. This mirror will not only reflect light and make the space appear larger but also add a touch of glamour to your farmhouse decor.
- Mirror Gallery Wall: Create a gallery wall using a collection of antique mirrors in different shapes and sizes. Arrange them in an aesthetically pleasing pattern to add visual interest and depth to your living room walls.
- Leaned against the Wall: If you have a large antique mirror, you can simply lean it against the wall to create a casual and relaxed look. This adds a touch of elegance and allows the mirror to become a stylish focal point in the room.
- Mirror Collage: Arrange a group of smaller antique mirrors together on the wall to create a mirror collage. Mix and match different shapes and styles to create a unique arrangement that adds personality and charm to your living room.
Antique mirrors not only reflect light and create the illusion of space, but they also add depth and a sense of history to your farmhouse living room. By incorporating them into your wall decor, you can create a visually appealing and captivating atmosphere that exudes timeless beauty and vintage charm.
When hanging antique mirrors, it’s important to use sturdy hooks or nails that can support the weight of the mirror. Ensure that the mirror is securely anchored to the wall and leveled to achieve a polished and professional look. Be sure to take caution when handling antique mirrors, as their delicate frames and aged glass may require extra care.
With their exquisite frames and timeless allure, antique mirrors offer a touch of sophistication and vintage elegance to your farmhouse living room. Let these mirrors reflect not only your own style, but also the rich history and character that farmhouse decor embodies.
Hanging Mason Jars
Adding a touch of rustic charm and versatility to your farmhouse living room is as easy as incorporating hanging mason jars into your wall decor. These humble glass containers can be transformed into charming wall vases, adding a unique and organic element to your space.
Here are some ideas for using hanging mason jars in your farmhouse living room:
- Simple Wall Vases: Hang individual mason jars on hooks or brackets attached to the wall. Fill them with fresh flowers, dried herbs, or sprigs of greenery to bring a pop of color and freshness to your living room.
- Grouped Wall Vases: Create a visually striking display by grouping several mason jars together. You can arrange them in a row or cluster them in a creative pattern on your wall. Experiment with varying jar sizes and heights for added visual interest.
- Mason Jar Sconces: Attach mason jars to wooden plaques or rustic boards and mount them on the wall as sconces. Insert candles or LED lights into the jars to create a soft and cozy ambiance in your living room.
- Hanging Herb Garden: Convert mason jars into hanging herb gardens by attaching them to a wooden board or plank that is affixed to the wall. Fill the jars with soil and plant your favorite herbs, bringing both beauty and functionality to your living space.
- Organizer and Storage: Hang mason jars to create a wall organizer for small items such as pens, brushes, or kitchen utensils. Attach the jars to a wooden panel or pegboard for a practical and stylish storage solution.
When hanging mason jars on the wall, make sure to use strong hooks or brackets that can support the weight of the jars, especially when filled with water and flowers. Alternatively, you can use adhesive hooks or wire for a more temporary or flexible display option.
Mason jars provide a versatile canvas for creativity and can be easily customized to fit your farmhouse style. You can paint the jars with chalk paint for a distressed look, wrap them with jute twine or lace for added texture, or apply vinyl decals for a personal touch.
Regardless of how you choose to incorporate hanging mason jars into your living room decor, they will undoubtedly add a charming and rustic element to your farmhouse ambiance. These simple yet versatile glass containers bring a touch of nostalgia and simplicity, perfectly embodying the warmth and character of farmhouse living.
Macrame Wall Hangings
Bring a boho-inspired touch to your farmhouse living room with the addition of macrame wall hangings. These intricately woven pieces of art add texture, visual interest, and a relaxed vibe to your walls, creating a unique and cozy atmosphere.
Macrame wall hangings come in a variety of styles, sizes, and designs, making it easy to find one that suits your farmhouse aesthetic. Here are some ideas for incorporating macrame wall hangings in your living room decor:
- Solo Statement Piece: Hang a large macrame wall hanging on a plain wall to create an eye-catching focal point. The intricate knots and patterns of the macrame will instantly add a bohemian touch to your farmhouse living room.
- Layered Look: Create a visually interesting display by layering multiple macrame wall hangings of different sizes or designs. Mix and match various patterns and textures to add depth and dimension to your wall decor.
- Bohemian Gallery Wall: Combine macrame wall hangings with other decorative elements, such as vintage frames, botanical prints, or quotes, to create a captivating bohemian-inspired gallery wall. Arrange the pieces in a visually appealing pattern for an eclectic and artistic display.
- Macrame Wall Shelf: Incorporate macrame into functional decor by using it as a shelf for displaying small plants, candles, or other decor items. Hang the macrame wall shelf on your living room wall to add a touch of boho charm and provide a unique storage solution.
To hang macrame wall hangings, you can use hooks, nails, or adhesive hooks to securely fasten them to the wall. Make sure to choose hardware that can support the weight of the macrame and ensure that it is properly anchored to prevent any accidents.
Macrame wall hangings bring a sense of handmade artistry and craftsmanship to your farmhouse living room. The intricate knots and delicate patterns of macrame give your space a cozy and relaxed feel while adding a touch of bohemian style.
Consider the color palette of your living room when selecting macrame wall hangings. Opt for neutral tones to create a harmonious and cohesive look, or choose bold and vibrant colors to make a statement and add a pop of visual interest to your walls.
With their intricate designs and artisanal craftsmanship, macrame wall hangings are a beautiful addition to any farmhouse living room. They infuse your space with a touch of bohemian charm, adding character and warmth to your wall decor.
Repurposed Farm Tools
Create a unique and authentic farmhouse look in your living room by incorporating repurposed farm tools into your wall decor. These vintage tools carry a sense of history and nostalgia, adding a rustic and whimsical touch to your space.
Here are some inventive ways to repurpose farm tools as wall decor:
- Tool Display: Hang farm tools, such as rakes, pitchforks, or spades, directly on the wall as decorative accents. Arrange them in an aesthetically pleasing pattern to create a visually captivating display that pays homage to the farming heritage.
- Tool Hooks: Use old hooks, like horseshoes or metal clamps, to create functional and charming hooks for hanging coats, hats, or bags. Attach them securely to the wall, spacing them evenly, and enjoy the uniqueness of your repurposed farmhouse hooks.
- Tool Shadowboxes: Turn farm tools into eye-catching art pieces by mounting them in shadowboxes or deep frames. Arrange the tools in a visually appealing way and hang them on the wall to create a striking and conversation-starting display.
- Tool Wall Caddy: Hang a repurposed tool organizer, such as an old wooden tool carrier or a metal milk crate, on the wall. Use it to hold small plants, decorative items, or even as a mail organizer for a functional and vintage-inspired storage solution.
- Tool Clock: Transform a large circular saw blade or an old wheel rim into a unique farmhouse clock. Add clock mechanics to the center and hang it on the wall to create a functional and decorative piece that captures the essence of the farmhouse style.
When repurposing farm tools for wall decor, be mindful of their weight and ensure that they are securely attached to the wall. Use sturdy hooks, nails, or brackets that can support the weight of the tools to prevent any accidents or damage.
Repurposed farm tools not only add a touch of rustic and vintage charm to your living room walls but also serve as a reminder of the rich agricultural history. They infuse your space with character, telling a story of hard work and simplicity while adding a whimsical and unique touch to your farmhouse living room.
Natural Fiber Wall Art
Add an earthy and textural element to your farmhouse living room with natural fiber wall art. These art pieces, crafted from materials like jute, seagrass, or rattan, bring a touch of nature indoors, creating a warm and organic ambiance.
Here are some ideas to incorporate natural fiber wall art into your farmhouse decor:
- Macrame Wall Hangings: Weave natural fibers, such as jute or cotton, into intricate patterns to create stunning macrame wall hangings. These handcrafted masterpieces add depth, texture, and bohemian charm to your living room walls.
- Woven Wall Tapestries: Opt for woven tapestries in natural fibers to bring a rustic and artistic touch to your farmhouse living room. Look for designs that incorporate geometric patterns, nature motifs, or fringed details for added interest.
- Basket Wall Decor: Arrange a collection of woven baskets on your living room walls to create a unique and dynamic display. Mix and match various sizes, shapes, and weaves to add visual interest and depth. These baskets not only serve as wall decor but also provide functional storage space.
- Rattan Wall Decor: Incorporate rattan wall decor pieces, such as woven mirrors or rattan sunbursts, to add a tropical and natural element to your farmhouse living room. The intricate weaves and warm tones of rattan bring texture, warmth, and a touch of elegance to your space.
- Seagrass Wall Art: Display seagrass mats or panels as wall art. These natural fibers add warmth and a coastal touch to your living room walls. Look for seagrass mats with unique patterns or textured weaves for a visually appealing display.
When hanging natural fiber wall art, consider using hooks, nails, or adhesive hooks that are appropriate for the weight of the piece. Ensure proper anchoring to avoid accidents and damage to your walls.
Natural fiber wall art adds an element of nature and texture to your farmhouse living room. These pieces provide a connection to the outdoors and bring a relaxed and inviting feel to your space. Embrace the beauty and simplicity of natural fibers as they enhance the overall aesthetic of your farmhouse decor.
DIY Wall Art
Add a personal touch to your farmhouse living room by creating your own DIY wall art. DIY projects not only allow you to express your creativity but also make your wall decor truly unique and tailored to your style. Whether you’re a seasoned crafter or new to DIY, there are countless possibilities to explore. Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- Abstract Canvas Art: Create your own abstract masterpiece using a blank canvas, acrylic paints, and brushes. Experiment with colors, brush strokes, and layering techniques to achieve the desired effect. This DIY project allows you to add a bold and contemporary element to your farmhouse decor.
- Farmhouse Signs: Design and create your own farmhouse-inspired signs using reclaimed wood, stencils, and paint. You can personalize the signs with family names, meaningful quotes, or farm-inspired phrases. This DIY project adds a rustic and custom touch to your living room walls.
- Pressed Flower Art: Collect and press flowers from your garden or local florist to create beautiful botanical art. Arrange the dried flowers on a piece of cardstock or in a shadowbox, and secure them with adhesive. This DIY project brings the beauty of nature indoors and adds a delicate and organic touch to your wall decor.
- Paper Quilling Art: Learn the art of paper quilling, which involves rolling and shaping strips of paper to create intricate designs. Use quilled paper shapes to create patterns, floral motifs, or abstract compositions on a cardstock or canvas. This DIY project adds texture and a whimsical touch to your living room walls.
- Fabric Wall Hangings: Use fabric scraps or repurpose old textiles to create fabric wall hangings. Cut the fabric into desired shapes or strips and arrange them into unique patterns. Add decorative elements such as trims, pom-poms, or tassels for added visual interest. This DIY project brings softness and texture to your farmhouse decor.
When creating your DIY wall art, embrace your creativity and enjoy the process. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different materials, techniques, and styles. Remember, the beauty of DIY lies in the freedom to make something truly unique and personal.
Once your DIY wall art is complete, hang it securely on your living room walls using appropriate hooks, nails, or adhesive hooks. Take care to ensure proper weight distribution and stability to prevent any accidents or damage.
DIY wall art adds a personal and handcrafted touch to your farmhouse living room. It allows you to infuse your own style and personality into your decor, creating a truly one-of-a-kind space that reflects your creativity and adds a sense of pride to your home.
Farmhouse Gallery Wall
Create a visually captivating and cohesive display in your farmhouse living room by designing a farmhouse gallery wall. This arrangement combines various elements and styles to showcase a carefully curated collection of artwork and decor. A farmhouse gallery wall adds personality, character, and a charming focal point to your living space.
Here’s how you can create a farmhouse gallery wall:
- Select a Theme: Choose a central theme or color palette for your gallery wall. This could be rustic landscapes, vintage botanical prints, black and white photographs, or a mix of farmhouse-inspired elements. Selecting a theme ensures cohesiveness and a unified look.
- Choose Artwork and Decor: Gather a variety of artwork, including framed prints, paintings, and decorative items that suit the farmhouse aesthetic. Consider incorporating vintage signs, antique clocks, botanical prints, or wooden signs with farmhouse quotes.
- Plan Your Layout: Before hanging anything on the wall, plan your gallery wall layout. Lay the artwork and decor on the floor or create paper templates to experiment with different arrangements. Balance the sizes, shapes, and colors of the pieces for an aesthetically pleasing composition.
- Consider Framing: If your artwork or prints are not already framed, choose frames that complement your farmhouse style. Opt for rustic wooden frames, distressed finishes, or black frames for a cohesive and vintage-inspired look.
- Hang with Precision: Start by installing a central anchor piece or the largest artwork in your gallery wall. Use a level to ensure it hangs straight. Work outward from this anchoring piece, positioning the rest of the artwork around it. Leave equal spacing between the pieces for a harmonious arrangement.
- Add Dimension: Enhance the visual interest of your farmhouse gallery wall by incorporating three-dimensional elements. Consider hanging decorative hooks, small shelves, or architectural pieces such as corbels or salvaged windows.
- Accessorize: Complete your farmhouse gallery wall by accessorizing the decor items with small accents such as faux greenery, dried flowers, or vintage frames. Layering these details adds depth and a lived-in feel to your wall display.
When hanging items on your gallery wall, use appropriate hooks, nails, or adhesive hooks that can support the weight of each piece. Take care to ensure that the wall is properly prepared to prevent any damage.
A farmhouse gallery wall allows you to showcase your personal style and interests while creating a visually captivating and dynamic display. It adds character, warmth, and a touch of nostalgia to your living room, becoming a conversation starter and a true reflection of your farmhouse aesthetic.
Make a bold statement in your farmhouse living room with the addition of an oversized clock. These large timepieces not only serve as functional pieces but also act as eye-catching and decorative focal points for your walls. The scale and prominence of oversized clocks make them a perfect addition to farmhouse decor, adding a touch of vintage charm and rustic elegance.
Here are a few ideas for incorporating oversized clocks into your farmhouse living room:
- Centerpiece Clock: Hang an oversized clock on a prominent wall as the centerpiece of your living room. Choose a clock with a large face and distinctive detailing to draw attention and make a statement. This will serve as a focal point and anchor the room’s overall design.
- Gallery Wall Addition: Include an oversized clock as part of a gallery wall display. Surround it with framed artwork, vintage signs, or botanical prints to create a cohesive and visually appealing arrangement. The clock will add depth and balance to the collection of wall decor.
- Leaned Against the Wall: For a more casual and relaxed look, lean an oversized clock against the wall rather than hanging it. This creates a laid-back and effortless vibe while showcasing the clock’s size and design. Place it against a solid-colored wall or layer it with other wall decor for a visually interesting display.
- Over a Fireplace Mantel: If you have a fireplace mantel, consider placing an oversized clock above it to create a striking and symmetrical arrangement. This adds visual interest and draws attention to the focal point of the room while complementing the farmhouse aesthetic.
When hanging an oversized clock, it’s crucial to securely attach it to the wall using appropriate hardware. These clocks can be heavy, so use sturdy hooks, wall anchors, or brackets that can support the weight. Make sure to measure the wall space and position the clock at a height where it is easily visible and proportionate to the surrounding decor.
The style and design of the oversized clock should align with your farmhouse aesthetic. Choose clocks with distressed wood frames, metal accents, or vintage finishes for an authentic farmhouse look. Consider Roman numeral or oversized numbering for the clock face, creating a timeless and classic appeal.
Oversized clocks not only provide a functional element of keeping time but also serve as stunning visual elements in your farmhouse living room. With their commanding presence, they add a touch of grandeur and elegance while maintaining the cozy and inviting atmosphere that is characteristic of farmhouse decor.
Industrial Metal Wall Decor
Add a touch of urban edge and industrial charm to your farmhouse living room with the incorporation of industrial metal wall decor. These pieces feature rugged textures, weathered finishes, and sturdy materials like steel, iron, or reclaimed metals. Industrial metal wall decor adds a modern and eclectic twist to your farmhouse aesthetic, creating a unique and captivating atmosphere.
Here are a few ideas for using industrial metal pieces in your farmhouse living room:
- Metal Wall Art: Choose metal wall art pieces with industrial motifs, such as gears, pipes, or abstract designs. These pieces can be hung individually or arranged in a cluster to create a visually striking display.
- Architectural Salvage: Utilize salvaged industrial metal items, such as gears, pulleys, or metal grates, as wall decor. These authentic, worn pieces add a sense of history and industrial charm to your space. Hang them individually or incorporate them into a gallery wall display.
- Industrial Clocks: Look for oversized industrial-inspired clocks with metal frames and bold numerals. These clocks serve as stylish wall decor while providing a functional and eye-catching element in your living room.
- Metal Shelving Units: Install metal shelving units with a distressed or galvanized finish to display your favorite farmhouse decor pieces. These shelves incorporate the industrial look while providing practical storage and display space for books, plants, or decorative objects.
- Hanging Metal Planters: Hang metal planters or metal baskets on the wall to infuse greenery and a touch of industrial appeal. Plant succulents, air plants, or other low-maintenance greenery in the metal containers for a striking juxtaposition of materials.
When hanging industrial metal wall decor, consider using sturdy hooks, nails, or brackets that can support the weight of each piece. Ensure that the wall is prepared and properly supported to prevent any damage.
Industrial metal wall decor adds a contemporary and rugged edge to your farmhouse living room. The interplay between the industrial textures and the warm, cozy feel of farmhouse decor creates a unique and balanced aesthetic. Embrace the juxtaposition of materials, and let the industrial metal pieces become focal points that draw attention and spark conversations in your living space.
Incorporating wall decor into your farmhouse living room is an opportunity to infuse your space with charm, character, and personal style. From shiplap accent walls to vintage signage, rustic wood shelves to industrial metal pieces, there are endless options to create a visually captivating and inviting ambiance. Each element adds its own unique touch to your walls, contributing to the overall farmhouse aesthetic and creating a space that is cozy, warm, and full of personality.
When choosing wall decor, consider the style, size, and functionality of each piece. Embrace natural textures, vintage accents, and timeless designs that reflect the rustic and organic charm of farmhouse style. Don’t be afraid to be creative, mix and match different elements, and experiment with arrangements and layouts to find what suits your personal taste and the layout of your living room.
Whether you’re repurposing farm tools, creating DIY artwork, or incorporating industrial metal pieces, each choice contributes to the story of your farmhouse living room. The key is to strike a balance between functionality and design, blending practicality with style to create a space that is aesthetically pleasing, functional, and uniquely yours.
Remember to hang your wall decor securely and with precision, using appropriate hardware for each piece. Take the time to measure, plan, and arrange your wall decor in a way that showcases each element to its fullest potential.
With the right wall decor, your farmhouse living room can become a welcoming retreat, a place where you can relax, embrace the rustic charm, and express your personal style. Let your walls be a canvas for creativity and self-expression, turning your living room into a true farmhouse haven.