It can be easy to feel overwhelmed or annoyed when your garage looks more like a lost treasure island then an actual, functional, organized storage space where everything has its place and designation. The clutter in your garage can limit the functionality that can otherwise be achieved with proper storage cabinets.
It is easy to overlook garage storage cabinets’ importance, however, once you have heaps of knick-knacks that make no sense but can’t be thrown away either, all the hassle of finding one item you need can be avoided with proper storage cabinets installed in your garage.
If you’ve been looking for the best garage storage cabinets that’ll make your life easier and organized then you’ve come to the right place. In this post, we’ll help you find the best garage storage cabinet types and things to consider in buying garage storage cabinets.
1. Why Do You Need Garage Storage Cabinet?
You need garage storage cabinets if you’re tired of continuously knocking into things that are lying around on the floor or that can pose as a safety hazard to the well being of your children or yourself.
The best garage storage cabinets will help you organize everything that is lying around without a proper place and make sure you get the proper use out of your garage while being functional as well.
However, there are many things to consider when buying garage storage cabinets that promise safety and durability, here are few factors to keep in mind.
2. Things To Consider When Buying Garage Storage Cabinet
Getting storage cabinets isn’t hard but before you begin here are some important things to consider when buying garage storage cabinets:
- Budget: if you want high-quality garage cabinets that are affordable and durable then you’ll have to be generous with your budget. It is easy to install cabinets that are cheap but they won’t last you long. Investing in a high-quality storage cabinet will make sure they last you a long time
- Usage: does your garage have limited space or do you plan on storing many items in your garage? These are important questions to answer when deciding on the best garage storage cabinets.
- Durability: there are many garage storage cabinet types to choose from but you need to factor in the material that’ll last you for a long time and will not be affected by the environment.
- Customization: When you’re making an investment in the best garage storage cabinets you want to make sure that they’re customized to your liking and dimensions. That includes color, paint, material, and design as well.
3. Where To Buy High Quality And Affordable Garage Storage Cabinet?
You can get high-quality garage cabinets that are affordable from stores really good stores and also on storables.com. There are many garage storage cabinet types to choose from, but not every single one is affordable or the best quality.
However, we’ve listed some great options to choose from that can be the best garage storage cabinets for your space.
4. Perfect Storage Cabinets For Your Garage
Garage storage cabinets’ importance can be realized once they fit perfectly in your space and give you the organizational aid you needed. Finding the perfect cabinet among the many garage storage cabinet types isn’t hard, and to make that decision easy here is a list of options to choose from.
5. How To Organize Your Storage Using Your Garage Cabinet
So far we’ve shown you how storage cabinets in the garage can help declutter everything lying around, but we haven’t told you how to organize garage storage cabinets for maximum productivity, here are some ways:
- Categories: organize garage storage cabinets according to the categories of items you have like tools in one place, toys in one shelf, and likewise. Similarly, you can organize items according to the garage storage cabinet types you have as well.
- Add LabelsCheck Latest Price : adding labels to each cabinet will help you quickly identify where something is stored and won’t have you rummaging around everywhere.
- ContainersCheck Latest Price : Use containers to further divide each shelf and organize smaller items in their container or bins. This will give a more uniform look.
6. How To Utilize Garage Storage Cabinet
Now that we’ve told you how to organize your things in cabinets let us tell you some ways through which you can utilize garage storage cabinets for maximum functionality:
- Install hooksCheck Latest Price inside your cabinet to hang long ropes or wires you may have lying around.
- Adjust shelves according to the height of objects you’re placing in them.
- In order to utilize garage storage cabinets better mount them on walls to clear up more floor space.
- If you have children that can reach into storage cabinets use locked cabinets to keep things out of reach.
7. Design Ideas For Garage Storage Cabinets 2020
Storage cabinets can transform your garage and how you access things immensely but even with all that organization things can still get messy and tangled up. To avoid constantly fixing things here are some best garage storage cabinet designs that will make sure everything looks in harmony and is in your reach as well.
- Magnetic Tool HolderCheck Latest Price : no one wants to continuously buy the same screwdriver when you know there are at least 5 at home. Where? Now that is the question you’ll be asking if you don’t have a magnetic tool holder that will keep every magnetic surface tool in one place.
- Canvas OrganiserCheck Latest Price : If you have small knick-knacks lying around that don’t seem right on the shelf? Put them in a big canvas wall organizer that has many compartments and is durable. From garden tools, baseballs, caps, gloves, fit everything in them.
- Ceiling Storage: Ceiling storage is the best garage storage cabinet design that makes use of those long heightened ceilings and clears up much-needed floor space. A no brainer, and a clear win-win.
- Wall Mounted Bike Rack: You can save a lot of floor space by installing wall hooks where you can mount up your bikes without it leaving any tire marks.
8. Top Masculine Color Ideas For Your Garage Cabinets
Looking to make the garage an extension of your man cave? Then why not add in a personal touch by using garage cabinet paints according to your preference. If you happen to spend a lot of time there here are some garage paint ideas to make it look nice and match your taste.
- Solid Colours: we all like to bring out our inner Picasso once in a while but if you haven’t painted recently then sticking to solid colors is a great idea. You can’t mess it up and if you want to add any designs you can do it
- Light Colours: a garage usually won’t have that much sunlight and already may look a bit dark, spruce it with some light garage cabinet paint colors like beige, tan, grey, and more. Don’t worry it’ll still look masculine enough for you.
- Experimental: if you’re looking to be more experimental a great garage paint idea is to have an accent wall that could of a color of your choosing and equally daring like a bright blue, metallic chrome or any other choice.
9. The 4 Ultimate Ways To Have A Safe Garage Storage
When you have children or frail elderly around that are prone to accidents it is wise to make sure you have safe garage storage whether they visit the garage frequently or not. Precautions are always a wise choice as safety matters.
Here is some way you can ensure safe garage storage:
- Lock up tools or equipment that can pose a threat to kids. Especially construction tools like drills, hammers, or screwdrivers. You can find many cabinets with locks these days and we have mentioned them above as well.
- Many cabinets have power outlets installed that are safe and secure so you don’t have to worry about tripping on extensions.
- Always get rid of things that are not in use. Clean out your garage at least twice a year. Less clutter will result in less mess on the floor.
- Install overhead storage cabinets to utilize the garage space effectively and keeping sharp items out of reach.
10. 5 Things You Should Avoid In Storage Cabinets
Garage storage cabinets may seem like the solution to clearing out all the mess in the garage but that doesn’t mean you can store every item in them. There are don’ts when it comes to storage cabinets like:
- Avoid storing chemicals near combustible materials like rags, gasoline, or plastic to prevent any fire accident.
- If your garage is down below, avoid storing items on the stairs as they’ll only pose hurdles on your way or down the garage.
- Make sure all your power outlets are not located near taps or where water accumulates. Especially if you have deep freezers or fridges installed to make sure they’re in a dry place.
- It is better to store tools off the floor but not too high in overhead storage as they can fall out.
- Not having locks can make your valuables at risk, it is better to have them stored in locked cabinets.
11. Garage Storage Cabinet Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some garage storage cabinet FAQ for you to know.
1. What Type Of Paint For Garage Storage Cabinet?
There are two types of garage storage paint to choose from: water-based in Latex or Oil-based. Latex paint is a better option to go with for indoor garage as they dry up pretty fast and cleanup is easy.
2. What Type Of Wood Should I Use For Storage Cabinet For My Garage?
MDF or Plywood is good wood options to go for as both are pretty durable and strong however Plywood is pricier. If you’re looking for cheaper alternative particleboard is another option but it is light in weight and not so sturdy.
3. What Is The Standard Size Of Garage Cabinet?
The standard size of a garage cabinet can be anywhere between 30” tall and 12” deep. However, you can customize according to the dimensions of your garage.
4. Storage Cabinets For Garage For A Small Space
One garage storage cabinet FAQs we get is for small spaces check out these options:
5. Where To Buy Metal Garage Storage Cabinets
You can buy Metal cabinets from many stores but storables some of the best deals and we’ve listed a few options above as well.
6. How Much Will It Cost For A Metal Garage Storage Cabinets
A reliable metal cabinet will cost anywhere between USD 150-300 however, you can get pricier options with added embellishments.
7. Why Use Metal Garage Storage Cabinets
Metal Cabinets can hold a lot of weight as compared to other cabinets, they’re also extremely durable and are powder-coated to make them resistant to rust, moisture, or dust.
8. Ideas For Your DIY Garage Storage Cabinets
Looking for some quirky design ideas? Check out point no 7.
9. Organizing Your Tools Using Plastic Garage Storage Cabinets
We’ve mentioned many organization hacks in the Point no 5. Do check them all out.